Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Obama disapproval on health care up to 52 percent      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dmotz
Msg: 1
Obama disapproval on health care up to 52 percentPage 1 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
I for one hope the obama plan fails ...now before everyone on the left goes apeshit..let me explain. I KNOW the health care system needs to be revamped. I know it will not be easy, but to send us as a nation trillions more in debt, we need to SLOW down and concentrate on fixing it, not just throwing more money at it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090909/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_ap_poll_health_care

WASHINGTON – Public disapproval of President Barack Obama's handling of health care has jumped to 52 percent, according to an Associated Press-GfK poll released hours before he makes his case for overhaul in a prime-time address to Congress.

With his health revamp moving slowly and unemployment edging ever higher, Obama's overall approval rating has also suffered a blow. The survey showed that 49 percent now disapprove of how he is handling his job as president, up from 42 percent who disapproved in July.

The grade people give Obama on health care also has worsened since July, when just 43 percent disapproved of his work on the issue.

The poll underscores how the president has struggled to win public support to reshape the nation's $2.5 trillion health care system and to put the brakes on a deep recession.

Forty-nine percent say they oppose the health overhaul plans being considered by Congress, compared to just 34 percent who favor them.

People are about evenly split over what lawmakers should do now on health care: About four in 10 say they should keep trying to pass a bill this year while about the same number say they should start over again.

Significantly, though, only about two in 10 say the health care system should be left as is.

There is a clear public desire for a bipartisan approach on the issue. Eight in 10 say it's important that any plan that passes Congress should have the support of both parties, while two-thirds want Obama and Democrats to try winning support from Republicans, who with few exceptions have opposed the Democratic drive.

Obama's marks are also poor on the economy, with 52 percent saying they disapprove of how he's handled that issue.

A similar number disapprove of his handling of taxes, some of which may rise to help finance his health overhaul. And 56 percent dislike his handling of the budget deficit, which has skyrocketed under the costs of the financial bailouts and a recession that has caused sinking federal revenues.

The survey of 1,001 adults with cell and landline telephones was conducted from Sept. 3-8. It had a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.
 Chiwrtr72
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Obama disapproval on health care up to 52 percent
Posted: 9/9/2009 9:27:35 PM
I know it will not be easy, but to send us as a nation trillions more in debt, we need to SLOW down and concentrate on fixing it

Funny how conservatives are worried now about debt... where was that worry when Bush cut taxes during his warmongering?

I believe health care is a right and all Americans should be covered by health care. The only way that will happen is if there is a government option. Private companies are there for profit and I have nothing against that, but it also means that these companies won't cover everyone.

Tomorrow, we will get census numbers on how many Americans are uninsured. I wonder how big the number of uninsured will be...
 cpfstock
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/9/2009 10:27:05 PM
"I believe health care is a right and all Americans should be covered by health care. "

It's not a right if I have to pay for you having it. That's called an entitlement. And you don't mean health care. Everyone in this country has access to "health care." What you mean is health insurance. And you have a "right" to all the insurance you can afford.
As for the number of uninsured, I'm willing to bet it's less than the 46 million number so often thrown around. That is, if you talking about "Americans" and not including non-citizens. And the number will be even smaller, if you take out Americans who make above 75K/year and choose NOT to purchase insurance.
 sweetie425
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/9/2009 11:20:22 PM
I have a hard time understanding how people (usually the ones who have health insurance, and by the way, I do have health ins.) can't understand the plight of those who don't have health ins.

I'd like the people who say everyone in this country has access to health care please explain how people with no health insurance or the means to pay for health care have access to the health care they need. You may get emergency care, care to stablize you, but that's it. You don't get the preventive care, the follow up care that people with health insurance and a family Dr. do, and what about prescription drugs..........without health ins. that covers at least part of prescription drug coverage most drugs are out of reach for many people. Generics aren't suitable for all drug needs.

There are some programs for the very low income who don't have health ins. but the income guidelines are unbelievably low.

I don't believe it's only a small number of people in the USA who don't have health ins. I think that's hype by those opposed to a national health care plan. But let's say that it's true , only a small per centage of people don't have health ins. One person without health insurance is one to many.

I don't see why anyone would be against The Presidents health care plan, he isn't mandating that everyone be under a national health care plan he is simply offering a national health care plan as an option for those who have no health ins.

Most people have their health care through their employers......if you lose your job you lose your health care. Health care shouldn't be tied up with employment. If your health ins. is through your job ask yourself what would I do for health ins. if I became unemployed ?

Maybe those of us with health insurance should look beyond ourselves and try to relate to those who have no health ins, becasuse many of us are just a paycheck away from being without health care. JMHO
 sum1reel
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/10/2009 6:54:48 AM

Most people have their health care through their employers......if you lose your job you lose your health care. Health care shouldn't be tied up with employment. If your health ins. is through your job ask yourself what would I do for health ins. if I became unemployed ?

....well said!.........there are many pple who have either lost their jobs (or have jobs without coverage) who cannot get insured at reasonable prices because they may have had a pre-existing problem............i heard of a case where this woman lost her job and at the same time she was seeing an ear doctor for treatment of a serious eye condition.....she lost her job, went on Cobra but was faced with an enormous premium.......she tried getting into other plans but they wouldn't even touch her!

We need to break the choke hold that these profiteering insurance plans have over us!

Maybe those of us with health insurance should look beyond ourselves and try to relate to those who have no health ins, becasuse many of us are just a paycheck away from being without health care. JMHO

Unfortunately too many Americans have a "let them eat cake" attitude................until of course, such a person ends up on the 'short-end'.......and then they all of a sudden start to realize how vulnerable they are!.....................Until we realize that our real adversary is the (health) insurance for-profit conglomerates who have been lobbying at the tune of 1.4 mil/day......to buy off the republicans, to disseminate missinformation, and ultimately to try to defeat anything that would be a threat to their monopoly!
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/11/2009 10:35:39 AM
Well, it was reported in today's paper that after Obama's speech 67% of Americans favour his reform plans, compared with 52% prior to his speech.

Looks like he must have been pretty clear in the speech.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2009 10:54:58 AM
Clear about what? I didn't hear one thing that was actually about the bills themselves, just what Obama says they supposedly "won't" do.

Did you get that from the faulty CNN poll where only 18% were anything but democrats? Even the biggest pro-Obama sites are only showing a miminal spike in acceptance.

Here, in a nutshell is the truth about any government healthcare that may pass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7XpeVVUl3E
 sd_matt
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/11/2009 12:48:50 PM
Here's a possible good reason why the approval is down and why Wilson called Obama a liar. But what you hear on the news is that Obama is the victim. I had to dig around to see if this was really true.

http://www.cis.org/feere/healthcare

"In fact, lawmakers have blocked language specifically designed to ensure illegal aliens could not access the proposed health care system."

So, technically the illegals are left out...but the enforcement mechanism (SAVE) was voted out.

I too would call that dishonest. But that's just me.
 sd_matt
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/11/2009 1:18:01 PM
http://www.numbersusa.com/content/news/july-16-2009/rep-nathan-deal-fights-government-health-care-illegal-aliens.html?jid=200213&lid=9&rid=1890&tid=80249

Section 1714 states, "in determining eligibility for services under this subsection, the State may consider only the income of the applicant or recipient." This means that for certain non-essential services, the State can disregard an individual's immigration status and look only at the individual's income.
 cotter
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2009 6:21:48 PM

Except that after the speech ... the APPROVAL rate was up to 67% ... eh?
 Outdoor2
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2009 11:36:55 PM

Guess it depends on the polls you look at.

http://www.twiigs.com/poll/Politics/39158

I can vote on the above poll....and I live in Canada...
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2009 12:55:13 AM
I'm all for a co-op pay public healthcare option. People that want the public healthcare option will pay a small precentage of the co-op fee for each time they go to a hosiptol or a clinc etc.. I mean, it looks like that what it's going to come down to anyhow in the end.
 sd_matt
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/13/2009 2:00:49 PM
Polls polls polls

Guys. If you look at a CNN, NY Times or Fox, NPR ect... poll you are gonna get different numbers every time. Gallup currently has the best reputation as a polling company. This comes from my college classes. Otherwise you might as well split the difference between the various media outlets.

As for economics if I were all of you, I would start listening to those who were calling this collapse long before it happened. Not all weathermen are accurate and why would all economists be?

Here's some that were predicting this economic collapse; Peter Schiff, Nouriel Roubini, Robert Schiller ( author of Irrational Exhuberence), Lyndon LaRouche,
 sd_matt
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/14/2009 2:37:58 PM
Yeah Rasmussen is another good one.

I can't say this enough people. Go onto YouTube or Break.com and watch videos of the people who warning us of impending economic troubles before 2005. As far as I'm concerned those are the only ones you should be listening to.
 EarlzP
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2009 9:14:45 PM

In the most current poll it looks like many do not have any cofidence in what it will achieve if passed.

It's really a shame that those opposed to health care reform have to lie about it in order to scare some of those who need it the most into believing that it would deny them care, if people had the facts they could make an informed decision, death panels, rationing are just two of the many lies circulated by those who are in bed with the health care industry
 Outdoor2
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2009 12:01:59 AM
Polls, polls and more polls...all tweaked to one's perception...it's time for some real numbers...

Premiums for employer-sponsored health insurance rose to an average of $13,375 annually for family coverage this year, with employees on average paying $3,515 and employers paying $9,860, according to a new survey.

The benchmark 2009 Employer Health Benefits Survey, released by the Kaiser Family Foundation and the Health Research & Educational Trust, found that family premiums rose about 5 percent in 2009. That’s more than general inflation, which fell 0.7 percent, and workers’ wages, rising 3.1 percent, during the same period.

Since 1999, premiums have gone up 131 percent. That’s far more than than workers’ wages, up 38 percent, or inflation, up 28 percent, over the same time period.

The survey found that 60 percent of firms offered health benefits to workers in 2009, but the smaller the firm, the less likely it is to offer health benefits. It found just 46 percent of the smallest employers, who have three to nine workers, offer health benefits.

Among those firms offering benefits, 21 percent report they reduced the scope of health benefits or increased cost sharing due to the economic downturn, and 15 percent report they increased the worker’s share of the premium.

The survey further reveals that a growing number of workers who are covered by their employer are facing high deductibles in their plans in addition to contributing to the premiums for their coverage.

In 2009, 22 percent of covered workers must pay at least $1,000 out of pocket annually for single coverage before their plan will pay a share of their health care bills, up from 18 percent last year.

Now in its 11th year, the survey is a joint project of the nonprofit Kaiser Family Foundation and the Health Research & Educational Trust, an affiliate of the American Hospital Association.

It was conducted between January and May and included 3,188 randomly selected, non-federal public and private firms with three or more employees.

http://denver.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2009/09/14/daily62.html
131%...the baby boomers are (or nearing) nearing 65...they gotta grab that cash before medicare sets in...profit taking at it's best!

Real people want real change...but their only stipulation is "don't make me pay for it"...well..guess what..."you can't have your cake and eat it to..."

We all learned that in grade school...what is your solution?
 Outdoor2
Msg: 17
view profile
History
 laxref41
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/18/2009 12:50:06 PM
Polls once said... "Dewey Wins" and the Chicago newspapers lost a lot of money...
 laxref41
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/18/2009 1:05:03 PM
"Six in 10 say Obama's proposal, if enacted, would not achieve his goals of expanding coverage to nearly all Americans without raising taxes on the middle class or lowering the quality of health care. For the first time, a majority disapprove of the way he's handling health care "

Of the six in ten, how many do you suppose have actually read any one of the proposed health care plans?

Why would they have the opinion that the plan would raise taxes when Obama is standing before the world stating that it won't and the CBO is backing him up?
And what's truly comical is that health insurance costs have increased 420% over the past 10 years so people are paying more and more directly to the insurance companies... so if there's no public option / low cost alternative, then insurance companies are free to continue that trend... people will pay more and maybe a lot more but they'll be able to say that their taxes didn't go up!
In short, no public option means we're going to put our faith in insurance companies to do the right thing rather than our own government... ohhh yah... maybe you'd also like to consider buying this bridge?
 CountIbli
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/20/2009 5:46:54 PM

It's really a shame that those opposed to health care reform have to lie about it in order to scare some of those who need it the most into believing that it would deny them care, if people had the facts they could make an informed decision, death panels, rationing are just two of the many lies circulated by those who are in bed with the health care industry

It's really a shame that those people who support Obama's idiotic "reforms" have to misrepresent Obama's opponents as "opposed to health care reform".
 CountIbli
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/20/2009 6:00:12 PM

Why would they have the opinion that the plan would raise taxes when Obama is standing before the world stating that it won't and the CBO is backing him up?

The plan will raise costs. So either the insurance companies will raise premiums or the government will subsidize it. Perhaps you think that the government won't raise taxes to pay for it, but I find this as likely as insurance companies not raising premiums and taking the financial hit themselves.

Edit: I suppose the other option is that the government just prints more money to pay for it, but then the American people will pay for it in the form of inflation.
 laxref41
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/24/2009 7:38:20 AM
"The plan will raise costs"

Prove it... don't just say it... PROVE IT

You can't... because there is no proof... only the rhetoric from those that brought you
Absolute Facts...
Republicans have held the presidency for 20 of the last 28 years
Republicans have held control of the congress for 14 of the last 16 years
Republicans have held both the presidency AND control of the congress for 6 of the last 8 years...
In the same period, our national debt has gone from under $ 2 trillion to over $ 11 trillion...
 laxref41
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/24/2009 7:42:03 AM
The American Medical Association announces 76% of U.S. physicians are in favor of Obama's health care plan including the public option...

The American Pharmaceutical Association just released a position paper announcing they are in favor of Obama's health care plan including the public option...

Seems the only folks truly against it are those with a different political agenda...
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 8:07:15 AM

Prove it... don't just say it... PROVE IT

What has the goverment touched that hasn't made the costs skyrocket? Why can private schools educate on a shoestring while public schools spent three to four times per student for a subpar education. The post office takes in hundreds of millions a day and is always on the verge of being bankrupt but FedEx and UPS show profits every year. Medicaid and social security are on the verge of being bankrupt. You name it, the government touches it and it turns to crap.

Why don't you prove it isn't? Because you can't either. But based on the past, the odds are I'm right and you're wrong.

Republicans have held the presidency for 20 of the last 28 years

So?

Republicans have held control of the congress for 14 of the last 16 years

Again, so?

In the same period, our national debt has gone from under $ 2 trillion to over $ 11 trillion....

And the majority of that 11 trillion has been since Obama took office.

The American Medical Association announces 76% of U.S. physicians are in favor of Obama's health care plan including the public option...

Actually it's 76% of doctors in their association, which is about 15 to 20% of all doctors in the country. Most doctors don't want this plan, they know it will ruin healthcare as we know it, and most people are happy with their healthcare as it is.
 laxref41
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/24/2009 7:32:27 PM
"private schools educate on a shoestring while public schools spent three to four times per student for a subpar education"

Not in my neighborhood... public schools spend about $ 6000 per student while private schools charge $ 12,000 to $ 27,000. Further, public school is primarily funded from the state and local levels.

"The post office takes in hundreds of millions a day and is always on the verge of being bankrupt but FedEx and UPS show profits every year. "

The U.S. Postal Service is, unfortunately, not run like a business. Also please realize that Fedex and UPS only took the cream of the business... overnight service and parcels... not letters. Further, the prices charged by Fedex and UPS are vastly higher than those charged by the USPS... even for overnight service and parcels.

"And the majority of that 11 trillion has been since Obama took office."

Your credibility went straight out the window with that statement. Do you really believe Obama has already overspent the budget by $ 11 trillion? The deficit for the year is projected at around $ 1 trillion.

"Most doctors don't want this plan"

Kindly quote sources and data.

Statements on past Republican control of our federal government... are made to suggest that they should take their fair share of responsibility... the long standing conservative right approach of cutting taxes and over spending the budget does not work... 28 years of data proves it with the end result being the state of our economy.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Obama disapproval on health care up to 52 percent