Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Navy and Air Force People--Need your advice!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RLC89
Msg: 1
Navy and Air Force People--Need your advice! Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Okay, so I've wanted to join the Navy since I was about 14-years-old. Lately, my family (retired Air Force) has been talking to me about considering the Air Force instead, since it would provide me with better benefits, career opportunities, etc. So, I'm really lost between the two.

Job wise, I'd like to see myself doing one of the following: Air Traffic Controller, Military Police, or Meteorologist. Eventually, after finishing my degree, it'd be cool to become an officer and see about becoming a pilot (but I understand my chances at this are very very slim).

Anyways, I just want some solid advice from those of you who have had experience with one, or both, of these branches.
 Vittoamp7
Msg: 2
Navy and Air Force People--Need your advice!
Posted: 9/10/2009 10:18:08 AM
I'm in the Coast Guard, but have tons of friends in both services. A lot of ppl i know and talked to that are in the Navy aren't too happy. Some love it... AF is easy from what I hear and AF has a lot of money from the government in comparison to other branches. If u go into the AF u can always switch into the Navy or any other service, but AF will not take past service member from other branches... idk why? But If i didnt pick the CG, id go AF. But the CG is the sheez! so im crazy happy.
 bluesandrock
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/10/2009 10:19:19 AM
For the jobs you listed, I would say the Air Force will provide better opportunities. Just for ATC only, the Air Force would be the way to go. Generally going enlisted then becoming officer once getting a degree is not a good thing. People do treat officers who worked up that way differently, I saw it first hand many times. Even when the possibility of going that route was discussed, it was greatly frowned up by every NCO I knew.
 bluesandrock
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/10/2009 10:21:05 AM

AF will not take past service member from other branches.

I knew a few prior Army guys that where in the Air Force. It has been a while since I was in (10+ years) so things could have changed in that respect.
 jack-d-ripper
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2009 10:22:18 AM

Air Traffic Controller, Military Police, or Meteorologist.

That depends...

Air traffic..depends on career path .. do you like Paperwork or?....
More administrative and paper work experience with the Navy......
They Crash all the time .... Air Force operation experience...

Military Police ..... Navy best for Practical DUI experience.... Sailors and Marines, really ....

Meteorologist, I am not sure about that ... isn't that about bowling alley maintenance?
 RLC89
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/10/2009 11:08:27 AM
Thanks, y'all!

I've also heard that it's difficult to get into the Air Force right now, since they are trying to cut out some people. I wonder if that's true?

And going that route to become an officer maybe looked down upon, but it can still happen, right? I could wait until 2011 when I finish my degree, and then go straight to OTS I suppose, but I'm a very impatient person.
 Pearsonmx6
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/10/2009 11:47:36 AM
I am working on joining the Air Force right now and after enlistment it would still take 6months to a year to get to basic.
 jack-d-ripper
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2009 12:07:38 PM

Upper management is from the Academies...... Good Old boys....

My baby is in AF- PJ Loves it...He intends going OC after his 6 years of getting his a$$ kicked...

With your education you should have no problem with any branch....

The Military will pay for degrees.... $$$$

My cousin Joined the Army with a Music major degree, He played in bands stationed in Euorpe for 6 years, got out used his GI for Med school, went back into the Army to complete Doctor stuff...

Has retired as a Col... Doctor................NO SCHOOL LOANS....

badge3939
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/10/2009 12:15:15 PM
My answer would be the Air Force. They have the nicest bases.

The Navy If you can stand looking for miles and not seeing anything but water.
 BellaDupree
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/10/2009 2:30:12 PM
RLC89,

I would enlist in the USN, they actually have more planes than the USAF, and then once you add the USMC's fighter jets there is even more a demand for Air Traffic Controllers.

Also I would do a google search on the number of bases (in the US and overseas)and platformes (ships) that women can be stationed at or on, for both.

And finally I would not enlist in either unless it was with a rate certain contract! Do not belive what you are told uless it is on your WRITTEN contract.

Now for the more everyday life in the service. The Navy is more military than the Airforce. The Airforce is called the civilians in blue for a reason, and it is true they have better housing, and they stay at a base for far longer then the other services, but in a lot of the rates getting permoted takes longer than in the Navy.

and now on a personal note, I was in the Navy, (a long time ago) and loved it, my daughter just got outof the Airforce 4years active 4 years active reserves and she disliked it intensly.
 MarialT
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/10/2009 6:38:34 PM
RLC89,

i see your preferences are Navy and Air Force.

my dad was in the Army...he's passed on now but was in WWII for the attack on Pearl Harbor.

my brother was a lifer in the Air Force and loved it....since retirement he lives in England with his wife and daughters.

i am the proud mother of a Marine....and as they say, Once A Marine, Always A Marine. Now this is one tough branch and they have never just taken anyone, you are definetely one of the The Few and The Proud.

either way you go, the best of luck to you always.
 fissionfusion
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/10/2009 6:46:02 PM
First things first.

The AF has the 3rd lowest computed standards, Army beint next, then Navy, then Marines -

Air Force
30AFQT
Consumer debt payments must not exeed 40% of pay
Drug use less than 15 times needs no waiver
Criminals can be waivered inwithin 365 days of last offense
2nd highest weight standard
Pathetic PFT test

Don't fall into "the AF has the smartest guys" hype. They don't really have to juggle with the lives of their friends, thus do not have to be the sharpest tools in the box.
 Alli_oop
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/10/2009 7:03:31 PM
which ever gives you the best opportunity to be a pilot is my opinion.
rrrrrr
 shmodzilla
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/10/2009 8:20:04 PM
If you can't get a pilot program in them you can go always go warrant officer or something in the army as well and fly. The physical standards are high for pilots is the problem, not to mention math. By physical i mean more along the lines of eye sight, hearing and all.
 cavecanem
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2009 8:47:02 PM
The easiest way into the officer ranks is to apply for an ROTC scholarship while you're young. There is a certain amount of... resistance to doing direct commissions. Flight school is for ring knockers (academy graduates) with perfect eyesight, with billets being filled after those folks are slotted in. The Navy has enlisted UAV pilots, the Air Force does not. I've seen both services end up on the ground in the combat zone, and probably owe my life to an Air Force surgical team and a Navy electronic warfare section.

A word on recruiters. Recruiters are salespeople - nothing wrong with that, but it defines certain portions of your interactions. Don't sign anything on the first visit. Shop around - sometimes one service has better available recruiting incentives than another, or can match or exceed a competing offer. Ask about college funds, and the service requirements for the new GI Bill (which is *really* nice compared to its predecessors).
 bigshrek
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2009 11:44:32 PM
Unless you absolutely LOVE being on a ship, DO NOT GO NAVY.

I saw way too many kids who had No Clue what sea life was like...some ended up getting Medical Discharges for Mental Conditions...really sad.

Go AF or Army. You'll have WAY more fun :)

I did a short tour as an AE in the Navy, then pulled an inter-service transfer to get into the Army, where I was MUCH happier. Fewer sharks, too ;)
 hawksta
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/12/2009 11:35:18 PM
If you want to see the world - Navy
If you want more of a civilian like environment - Airforce

What you do not want to join is the Marine Corps, I made that dumb mistake. Haha oh well I'll be happy when its all said and done though.
 singleagain66
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/13/2009 8:40:11 AM
Op why not just see what branch offers you the best training for what you really want to do as a carrear while in the service and then when you get out the service. But don't be surprise if you have to go to an Army base for training because in my time in the Army I have seen ofther branches come to the Army for trianing. So I am not gonna sell you on the Army / Air Force / Navy or Marines because overall you have to make that decision on what branch and what job you want to do while serving. They all will get you to see the world just different parts of it from banch to branch.

Good Luck In What Ever You Do
 jack-d-ripper
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2009 9:09:10 AM

Don't fall into "the AF has the smartest guys" hype.

Of course the AF has the smartest guys....

or ...... what are you saying about my Boy!!!

The military offers a lot by todays standards... I read a most College grads don't feel good about their situations..............

Not worth the effort...

The military offers real world training... Or a less costly education...

RLC89
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/13/2009 12:58:49 PM
Thanks again for the advice everybody.

I've been doing quite a bit of research, as well as talking to current/former Navy and Air Force people, the past few days.

The thing is--I want to see the world, and from advice I've gotten (on here, and from others ) is that I should go Navy for this. However, I also want a decent career that I will enjoy and benefit more from, and the advice on this seems to lean more towards the Air Force. So...I'm stuck.

Army and Marines are a definite No for me! I appreciate all they do, but I'm just not cut out for those branches...
 TheRoad78
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/13/2009 4:24:38 PM
Go AF.
I'm in the AF and its the best decision I've made in my life for the past 7 years. Aside from the leadership at my current location, everything has been cool.

AS far as jobs. ATC (Air Traffic Controller) is a very high stress job(I've heard anyways). And can be a very laid back one as well. All depends where you're stationed at.
I work on ground radar and I've had my fair share of working with controllers. I'm jealous of the bonus multiplier they get (6.0!) in relation to the work they do. Doesn't seem like that bad of a job from a radar maintainer perspective, but a civilian going straight into it might be a bit intimated.

Not to mention have MUCH that job carries over into the civilian market! Big bucks there.

I forgot the other two jobs you mentioned....
 TheRoad78
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/13/2009 4:31:01 PM
Well, I re-read your post, and I have to say....

Make a choice between Weather or ATC. Both careers are great, and have many skills to carry-on into the civilian market. I work with weather folk at my current location now and they have a sweet gig. Launching weather balloons, interpreting radar images and weather maps, and you can be wrong 50% of the time and not get in trouble for it! lol.

Being security forces, is just, being a cop. And infantry at the same time. Guns and patrols mainly. The better job I've heard from the SF career is being a dog handler.
 readyfornow
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2009 12:35:28 PM
IMO, go with the Air Force. But then again, I'm somewhat biased. It was the best move I ever made. Having worked with and around the other branches from time to time, I found the Air Force to have better facilities, food, benefits, and assignment variety. Plus, everyone is treated like an adult unlike some of the other branches.

BTW, I would have gone with the Navy as a distant second choice.
 JackDiamond312
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2009 1:00:40 PM
I'm a writer/artist/cartoonist right now.... very laid back.

I spent 7 years as an ATC in the Air Force though... It was stressful for some people... But it isn't any more stressful than anything else as far as I'm concerned. You just learn your job, and do it the best you can, like anything else.

As far as seeing the world? Well I was in Biloxi (ATC School for the AF) and then stationed in Mississippi (Columbus) at a flight training school and then out at Hill AFB in Utah.... I loved ATC... BUT, wasn't a cookie cutter type... didn't do the military thing all that well, but everyone has their reasons to join.

I think if you're lucky, you get to get stationed over seas, if this is what you want. Navy does travel more, but isn't this more cooped up on the ocean? I was in, back in the late 70's into the 80's... could be different. Re-enlistment bonuses for ATC is nice.

But as far as ATC... don't let people tell you it is stressful... Just go in it with an attitude of doing the best job you can, learn your skill... and you will do fine. It's a rush keeping all those airplanes apart.... I preferred working the tower over working radar... Landing and taking off planes... working them in the pattern and on final. Nothing like watching around 30 F16's working their way around each other under your control.... It's like shaking a bee hive.
 Laura_Theresa
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/12/2010 11:39:31 AM
hey im in the navy and both my parents are army and i get asked alot as to why not go army and i said ... it was my choice and i much rather be on a ship on the sea then on solid ground raiding buildings looking for bad guys to put it simply ... after a few arguments and convincing speeches i picked navy ... i suggest u stick to what u want to do screw the benifits and all that ... do what u want ... it is ur life and ur happiness if ur happier on a boat then an air field kudos to u ... it is all ur choice and ur all grown up not wearing pull ups so u can pick what uniform u want ... not ur parents choice
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Navy and Air Force People--Need your advice!