Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Old people driving.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Loose_end
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Old people driving. Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Yes please!

Bring mandatory testing in every 10 years........Nothing massive, we dont need a full test, but people should at least be able to show a Police officer that they are perfectly capable of driving a car safely. Wouldnt take long, a mile up the road and back again, coupled with a bit of manoeuvring, is all it would take...

Dibble might not have the time spare to be testing all these people. I say MAKE TIME

Cars are lethal weapons in the wrong hands.

A Car with someone at the wheel incapable of controlling it properly due to ill health or old age is just as dangerous as one in the hands of someone who's had a couple of pints, and we all know how dangerous that can be!

I've spent most of my working life behind the wheel of one vehicle or another. I've seen attempts at driving by some people that chill the blood

Passing a test at 17 which we all know is a very hit and miss affair (pun intended) In no way proves your ability to be safe on the roads for the next 53 years until you have to apply again.
 oggers
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Old people driving.
Posted: 9/12/2009 3:22:34 AM
I'm navigating for a guy on a car rally at the end of october ( a competitive one, I mean, not one of these scenic tours type of things ! ) who is 80 years young. He might not be the fittest of blokes on his pins, but my god, get him behind the wheel and he is still very quick, with pin sharp reactions. Oh and we are competing in his Mini Cooper S with roll cage, bucket seats and full harness belts, not one of these 'sofa on wheels' type of cars .....

Ability to drive is not neccessarily linked to ability to walk !
 Lorri55
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Old people driving.
Posted: 9/12/2009 12:13:04 PM
OP....I had the very same experience a couple of weeks ago

It frightened me.......it frightened me a lot!!
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Old people driving.
Posted: 9/12/2009 3:01:18 PM
recall being side swiped by some old guy, got out to have a chat and he had to use 2 crutches to walk....

went to see him to sort out insurance stuff and his son claimed he was the driver, cheaper insurance hit I guess ?
 icarusi
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Old people driving.
Posted: 9/12/2009 4:15:10 PM
It's only a matter of time before the elderly start causing more accidents. There are more of them still driving, they're less likely to want to stop, and public transport is worse than it used to be, fewer services etc. AFAIK unless you cause an accident or have some known medical problem, you can continue driving.
 Warrencraig
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Old people driving.
Posted: 9/12/2009 5:34:59 PM

Nothing massive, we dont need a full test, but people should at least be able to show a Police officer that they are perfectly capable of driving a car safely. Wouldnt take long, a mile up the road and back again, coupled with a bit of manoeuvring, is all it would take...

And why police officers?? we have people for this job called driving test examiners. Police should be spending thier time catching criminals.....
 LovelySSBBW
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Old people driving.
Posted: 9/21/2009 2:57:21 AM
I am surprised at the attitudes of younger and healthier people towards the aged and infirm. You think you are going to be young and fit forever? What you ridicule now, you will face up to very soon, believe you me.

I got end stage osteoarthritis on both knees which means I have to walk using a stick and like that lady you described, I take a lot of time to walk and it is hard and painful to get in/out of the car. However, once behind the wheel, I am OK. My car has power steering which makes things easier. Driving is a big consolation for someone whose life has slowed down to a standstill.

Please try to think and understand before you judge others. Thank you.
 Lorri55
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Old people driving.
Posted: 9/21/2009 4:07:53 AM
My late father used to drive along , checking his handbrake was off every 2 minutes.
I swear he thought that as he was going so slowly the brake must be on!!
He also used to comment that he often felt as if he was moving backwards, the number of cars that overtook him
 jaqi
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Old people driving.
Posted: 9/21/2009 12:28:32 PM

She could barely walk, she leant heavily on a stick, her legs were clearly in a bad way and she moved very slowly. When she had paid she seemed to find it hard to get back into her car

Without the 'elderly lady' bit one could perhaps think your description was of a disabled driver. I wonder what they would think of you wondering 'just how fit they were to be in control of a car'? The old lady may have had a pretty sharp brain despite the physical impairment and as others have said she was quite probably a safer driver than most young lads.
 monty336
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Old people driving.
Posted: 9/22/2009 6:35:08 AM
i am surprized gov has not brought out a 5 year test for oaps, they would poss extend it to everybody, just think say 10 to 20 million drivers paying x amount every 5 years, when i go on site skill cards , gas cards have 5 year spans, security etc, it is a captive market you need them to work.
 Loose_end
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Old people driving.
Posted: 9/22/2009 2:29:49 PM
I dont think this is a thread about young drivers?

Personally, i think the age limit for driving should be raised to 21 (at least)

How many times do we pass lamp-posts or trees strewn with flowers in memoriam of some boy racer in his souped up mean machine who thought his driving was really good and he simply 'must' show off his excellence at every opportunity. And he kills not only himself, but all of his passengers and anyone unfortunate enough to have been in the way.

There is no excuse, bad driving is bad driving whatever the age.

This week alone.

I have nearly been ploughed into from the side on a roundabout by a 20 something Woman, who simply did not see that someone was actually on the roundabout.

I've witnessed a Male driver (in his 40's) hogging the outside lane of a motorway, while both other lanes were completely clear of traffic.......He was doing 55mph.

I've seen a 'little old Lady' career across 3 lanes of traffic narrowly avoiding causing a multi-car pile up. It bothers me somewhat all this 'mirror, signal, manoeuvre' stuff.........Some people take it way too literally......Just because you have mirrored and signalled, that doesnt then mean you can make your manouvre regardless of what is in your way.

And i've had a boy racer screaming up behind me on a single lane road, headlights on main beam, and get so close i couldnt actually see his lights at all. In fact, i get this one practically daily.

Ooh! And tonight I witnessed a Woman pulling away from traffic lights, she clearly wasnt too sure of the road layout because she then bumped up the kerb and proceeded to drive along the central reservation until finally she realised something was wrong, so she eventually rejoined the actual road.

I dont even mind the last one so much, that seemed to me to be more like a genuine mistake. We all make those, we just hope we dont kill anyone when we make them.....
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Old people driving.