Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > suggestions needed for lunch on the trail      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 junipermoon
Msg: 1
view profile
History
suggestions needed for lunch on the trailPage 1 of 1    
so, tomorrow i'm going on a hawkwatch, which will start at 10:30 a.m. we plan to spend 3-4 hours on a ridge and i need to pack a lunch. we expect temps in the 70s in the valley, but cooler on the mountain. i need to pack something that won't go bad and that doesn't weigh alot. i hate granola and dried fruit. also, i really don't want to carry a pack, and hope to stow my lunch in a zip pocket in my windbreaker.

any ideas?
 JediLady
Msg: 2
view profile
History
suggestions needed for lunch on the trail
Posted: 9/12/2009 6:57:31 PM
For short hikes like that, I'm partial to trail mix.

A mix of protein and complex carbs are always good, too. Think cheese sticks and apples. Nothing heavy, but enough to keep you going for the rest of the hike.
 junipermoon
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2009 3:47:47 AM
thanks, everyone, for all the ideas. i'm doing cashew butter on whole grain with apricot preserves and those little boxes of raisins. the hike itself won't take more than 45 minutes, but we will spend most of the midday on the top of the ridge. we have to carry folding chairs (in addition to binoculars and a blanket in case the wind picks up). so i don't want to carry anything heavy like fruit.

we may actually end up going to a different ridge on the other side of the valley. the weather calls for northern wind on jack's mountain, which isn't the best for migration. but on the other side the wind should be southerly. it could actually be a pretty long day.

but i do love fall in pennsylvania. maybe i'll find chokecherries on the trail!
 junipermoon
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2009 5:13:06 PM
well, we ended up not having to hike at all. but we also saw so many raptors that we barely had time to eat lunch. i ate my sandwich with one hand and held my binoculars to my eyes with the other. but the sandwich was really good!

thanks for everyone's suggestions!
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > suggestions needed for lunch on the trail