Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > white collar woman, blue collar man.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ruckus123
Msg: 2
view profile
History
white collar woman, blue collar man.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Why worry about what other people think?

If it works for the two of you then it shouldn't matter what side of the tracks you both come from.

I don't see anything wrong with it.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 9
white collar woman, blue collar man.
Posted: 9/13/2009 1:44:26 PM
Yes I did. That experience lasted 20 years, and it was a constant battle for security.

It never dawned on me that that was the problem, ‘til our kids told him that he was not in my league, and really belonged with the biker crowd. From the mouth of babes, that must have been painful for him to hear. And me, where the hell was my head at…that it took my children to let me know, that I made the wrong choice.
 TheReason_
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2009 2:21:21 PM
I don't think that it matters, as long as the two people get along and don't let it affect things. My ex was a teacher. We got along well. The biggest difference between us, was that I had sooooo much less stress. When my work day is done, my time is my own. I don't have to devote a single thought to the work day, and what will happen tomorrow. She on the other hand, would be planning, marking, stressing all night. All my friends say I'm easy going, in fact it drives a few of them crazy, as I'll set off for a weekend in the city, and have absoultely no plan. Where I'm going to stay, what I'm going to do. I just take it as it comes and let the day play out in whatever way it chooses to.

Us blue collars aren't really a bad thing. I know some of my friends get a bit envious of the fact that I have a three day weekend, EVERY weekend!

1o hour days FTW!!!!

That being said, I don't know if I'd be able to roll with a millionaire or anything. I just wouldn't have the funds to live the lifestyle, unless they are down with me being a stay at home spouse.

I can cook, clean, and look pretty!

Confident-Realist
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/13/2009 8:44:17 PM
First, you should be aware of what people think -- it will prevent you from wasting your time, and getting a better assessment about yourself. That's not to say you try to conform to what everyone says at all -- but you learn what's good and what's bad.

White collar women will date a blue collar guy -- I've seen it. One instance, the gal had a "blue collar" side to her liking the rugged type, and the guy wasn't "all Nascar" anyway and did have a good blue collar career job. Other one was the gal wasn't that great looking but great personality, and the guy was better looking than her as some pointed out. It happens. But in both scenarios, you could see how the pieces fit, though.

I would say though, that all other things being equal, no, you're not really going to see the high-class white collar gal go out with a guy in the local pub wearing his blue-collard work shirt with his name written on it playing pool. If she was older and he was a "stud" kinda guy, sure, if she was recently separated and wanted to have fun, sure. Other than that, it's a rare rare thing.

Aim to your demographic and within ballpark range of your league -- those will get the realistic amount of "bites".
 scorpiomover
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2009 9:07:26 AM
White collar, blue collar. All that stuff made a difference back in the 70s, when plumbers earned less than accountants and solicitors. Now? A lots of the guys who went to community college send their kids to Ivy League schools, and a lot of the Ivy Leaguers can't get a job, or have a really poor-paying one, and their kids would be LUCKY to get to get to community college. If someone is hung up on THAT, they really ought to get with the 00s, 'cause things have CHANGED.
 TheReason_
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2009 9:38:59 PM
Another thing to remember, without us Blue Collar construction workers, all the White Collar people would be doing their business in caves.

Confident-Realist
Msg: 46
Posted: 4/16/2010 2:56:00 PM

Some of my best friends are blue collar worker and many of them are just as smart as my white collar friends. Some of my richest friends are in blue collar jobs.

I think when people are generally saying "blue collar" vs "white collar", they're referring to blue-collar jobs (mechanic, truck driver, factory) of a less glamorous "status" that bring blue-collar-level money, vs white-collar workers (office building, technology, engineering, advertising, etc) of a higher "status" that brings higher amounts, years-of-experience being generally equal.

With that said though, IMO, I think if a guy's a manager at a blue-collar place, it wouldn't affect too many ladies who works in a more white-collar environment making around the same money or less. But with some women, sure, the job "status" alone can mean something.

But overall -- the concern I think is about a guy not making much money in a blue-collar environment, while the lady makes significantly more in a white-collar environment. I think that's uncommon and shouldn't be an expected match when out on the scene.
 SueCat51
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2010 8:33:47 PM
Different strokes for different folks. True, why worry about what others think. The key is whether BOTH individuals in the relationship are secure enough with themselves that they can see beyond the money and careers.
 want to travel
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2010 7:16:07 AM
white collar men are going to have huge problems marrying any female, the way things are going most of them are going to go to jail lol
america can not keep bailing them out, nor can it afford to overlook the corruption they are responsible for lol
 ffryan
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2010 10:34:24 AM
Some people won't stand for you infringing on their insecurities. Many blue collar workers do that with white collar workers because for some reason many white collar workers consider themselves superior. It's very unfortunate that others exist soly to look good in the eyes of others.
 I-am-Rei
Msg: 52
Posted: 4/20/2010 4:56:53 AM
IMO, it's not about who has a higher education or who works in the white collar or blue collar environment, it's all about one's attitude.

The issue arises when the white collar woman think of herself superior over her man OR when the blue collar man feels the insecurity of earning less than his partner. If these attitudes are kept in checked I think there is no problem at all.
 wooliepack
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2010 9:38:30 PM
My last partner was a professional commercial architect, (ex)trophy wife, and... I shoe horses for a living.
At first, I wondered how it would work, but here's the irony: Her career has gone down the toilet, her ex was siphoning off their retirement account, kids and animals draining her meagre resources. I probably put more money in the bank than she does.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > white collar woman, blue collar man.