Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Can you eat too much ground flax seed?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TheReason_
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Can you eat too much ground flax seed?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I love the stuff, I put 2 heaping tablespoons in my morning shake. If I have another one later on, after biking or the gym, I'm always tempted to put more in. Can you eat too much of it? I love the taste!!!

Typical breakfast shake...

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup unsweetened no fat yogurt
2 heaping tablespoons ground flax seed
sometimes a spoonful of peanut butter
30 grams of whey protien.
 satx78218
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Can you eat too much ground flax seed?
Posted: 9/16/2009 7:23:42 AM
I ground up 1/2 cup flax seed in my morning blender drink for 2 years and lived to tell about. :)
 Belle Requin
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/16/2009 8:06:14 AM
Can you eat too much? Probably. But I don't think you're anywhere near it. Maybe if you were eating 8 cups of it in a day it might be too much bulk, but 4 tbsp? No, that's not too much flax.
 TheReason_
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2009 8:44:54 AM
Thanks for the info people. I really do like the taste, it's good to know there's not much concern if I throw it into a shake after the gym or a good bike ride.

:)
 Svetlana Blue
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/16/2009 10:26:16 AM
It is good on salads too...I use flax seed instead of croutons. :)
 TheReason_
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2009 2:09:03 PM
I bet it would be a great addition to pesto!!!
 TheReason_
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2009 9:01:57 AM
What is Crunchy Snacks, is that a cereal, or the name of that dish....

Sounds interesting. Might have to give it a go.

:)
 Outdoor2
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2009 11:10:35 PM
Ground flax seed is good...whole flax seed passes right through you.
 Lineitup
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/21/2010 4:05:42 AM
I used to put it in my cereal every day but now I just pop fish oil caps for my Omegas.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/11/2014 1:07:25 PM
Flax oil is usually recommended over salmon oil for type 2 diabetics and men for prostrate health.
I think people *in general* should mix it up.

Get healthy fats from numerous sources.
Seeds, nuts, olives, avocados, salmon, coconut oil

3 tablespoons of ground flax seeds should not do any harm to someone with a healthy colon.
Depends on what benefit you are seeking and what health issues you may have or may be concerned with as to how much you can eat.
 satx78218
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2014 7:27:45 AM
The reason for freshly ground is that flax oil is unsaturated and oxidizes, become stale, rancid, quickly.

One doesn't need any special appliance to grind flax or other seeds. A blender will "air mill" the seeds into seed meal.
 satx78218
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2014 8:30:09 AM
As with unfermented soy and Mexican yam, flax contains bioidentical phytoestrogen.

Not a good food for women with elevated familial risk for estrogen positive cancers, and not a good food for men.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3074428/

Then add in atrazine, BPA, and other hormone-disrupting crap from BigChem, we live in a toxic chemical soup.

And you ladies wonder why your guy, even young'uns, can't get it up and keep it up? LOL

A mitigating factor is the orally ingested hormones generally don't survive digestion. That's why estrogens and testosterone are administered transdermally.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Can you eat too much ground flax seed?