Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Linux on IBM PC's?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Linux on IBM PC's?Page 1 of 1    
I've been wanting to run Linux on one of my old IBM PC's for a long time now, so that I can learn about it. Unfortunately, I'm in a catch-22 scenario: to get Linux to run on any IBM pc, requires an experienced linux user to modify the installation. I've googled to many Linux suggestion sites, but have yet to find any distros that just plain work. Every single one, YES INCLUDING UBUNTU, will either run but not load to the hard drive, or will run SOME functions, but not link to the internet, and NONE of them will let me use wireless features.
I have old T40 laptops, newer T60's, M35's, and other older machines. None will install any form of linux to the hard drive, run it, connect to the internet, connect wirelessly, AND run the mouse at the same time.
Any suggestions would be most welcome, other than snide sy insulting ones.
 subtlecaffeine
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Linux on IBM PC's?
Posted: 9/19/2009 3:07:48 PM
This post makes no sense...I'm sorry, but it doesn't.

An "IBM PC" is basically just a standard PC platform...even though IBM started the x86 craze...their PC's shouldn't of had anything to prevent Linux from installing or working.

I think the biggest problem you're having is a lack of hardware support. You mention laptops...laptops are FAMOUS for having unsupported hardware due to the fact manfactuers like to use propritary hardware...my Compaq laptop's wireless didn't work when I first intalled ubuntu...one simple command fixed that.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam has a list of laptops that will work with Ubuntu and which distro is needed to work..along with details...for example, you mentioned you have a T60...they have two different T60 models listed...Ubuntu works on them with some minor things not wanting to work.

But, it doesn't require an expiereced linu user to modify the installation...most of these problems have rather simple how-to's if you dig deep enough.

But I think your problem is you're just using some bizarre hardware, and NOTHING related to it being an IBM. The biggest problem in trying to learn about linux is that when you try to do it on a laptop and not a desktop that's got standard supported hardware, you're going to run in to these problems and since you've never used linux before, you're going to think it just won't work on that particular brand of PC.

Take a look at the laptoptesting database for the models you've got and see what other people have reported.
 NurbyDriver
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Linux on IBM PC's?
Posted: 9/19/2009 9:05:24 PM
I was thinking the same thing when I read it, makes no sense. I have installed Linux on 100+ machines of differing types and sure there have been some niggles here and there but never one that would just outright refuse to install. My first Linux box was a old, old, old K6-2 400Mhz machine running Ubuntu 6.xx or something, I ran that right through until the 8.x series at which time I built a new gamer and turned the retiring gamer in to my new Linux box. If nothing else you should be able to run from a Live CD. My distro of choice at the moment is PC Linux OS.

Three I would recommend are:

Crunch Bang! Linux

AntiX

Arch Linux (this one will definitely help you learn Linux)

I am actually looking to buy a laptop now that I will turn in to a triple boot machine with Win XP, Linux (not sure what distro yet) and OpenSolaris. That way I have one of each type of environment- Windows, Linus and Unix.

Find a desktop that is a few years old someone is selling on craigslist or something and get a good supply of CD-RW as you will probably start wanting to try several different distros.

Welcome to the dark side, you'll be glad you came, trust me. :)
 NurbyDriver
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Linux on IBM PC's?
Posted: 9/20/2009 8:12:17 AM
I installed PCLOS on an older IBM thinkpad for a guy a few months ago and everything, including wireless worked fine. Just had to configure the wireless in PCC, that's it.
 cooldude
Msg: 5
Linux on IBM PC's?
Posted: 9/21/2009 2:59:34 PM
Very strange. I have got an old IBM laptop to install Mandrake Linux and that was back in 1995 & the laptop was about 4 years older then that.
 random_char_here
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Linux on IBM PC's?
Posted: 9/21/2009 5:53:11 PM
Do this hit up google type in T40 laptop linux yeh will get tons of info.

Allot of the older hardware isnt quite plug-n-play so to speak you will need to tweak the installation a bit to get it working right.

If yeh really interested in learning about linux look up "linux from scratch "
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Linux on IBM PC's?
Posted: 9/21/2009 7:32:45 PM
Thanks for your extended response, subtlecaffiene, but as I tried to explain(badly I guess) in my OP, I HAVE looked online A LOT trying to find linux that works on my IBM LABELED machines (not the vague 'PC's' you seem to think I meant). I have read of a bunch of Linux versions that will work MOSTLY on the T40's and T60's, but they always require modifications that I don't understand how to make, because I'm such a newby. I AM certainly trying to be lazy by asking for a ready-made linux package that would work, and I readily accept criticism for that (though it's pointless, since calling me a nerf-hearder will neither get me where I'm going, or make me go away). I tried writing directly to some linux forums, but was ignored.
Thanks to the other posters who made suggestions, I will try them. I was hoping to find someone by chance who had actually installed linux on one of the models I mentioned WITHOUT having to add modifications (which are simple, I'm sure, AFTER you understand linux, but which I have yet to learn, because I can't get linux to RUN enough to learn it yet).
Thanks, every one.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Linux on IBM PC's?