Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Does my handicap affect how they think of me?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 1984mike
Msg: 1
Does my handicap affect how they think of me?Page 1 of 1    
Why do girls turn me down when i tell them about my handicap that i have cerabal palsy?? when i talk to girls through e mail or meet them everything seems good until i tell them about my handicap cerabal palsy then they change there mind about me.... Why is that?
 cfb62
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Does my handicap affect how they think of me?
Posted: 9/21/2009 2:44:46 PM
Forget the ones who have an issue with it.
They aren't worth your time.
 *november babee*
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2009 12:35:22 AM
it is entirely possible that negativity is one factor here in the responce rate you are getting..
handicap is quite a negative word and quite a negative way of looking at things.. you are immediately saying its a problem..
a freind of mine has a physical condition, which causes her challenges that she has learned to overcome, and she has no problems in the relationship dept..
maybe using a more positive terminology would have a more positive effect on the way other people see the condition you are living with...?
 zephyrmoon
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/22/2009 11:25:23 AM
I agree, don't drop the CP bomb on them and not expect them to back away. They might be afraid of getting attached and then having to become your caretaker. Be prepared to explain what it means and invite questions about your situation.

You say your condition is very mild. Emphasize all the things you CAN do and de-emphasize what you see as a "handicap" or "disability." In fact, remove those words from your vocabulary -- and mindset.
 ticka
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2009 4:55:45 PM
i know all about it. let the conversation happen naturally. let her like you first then tell her about your disability. trust me, people see my prosthetics and sometimes just pass me by. people judge first by your photos so let her be entriced by your personality, then she can't resist but to get to know you better! happy fishing
 ticka
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2009 5:00:55 PM
i know all about it. let the conversation happen naturally. let her like you first then tell her about your disability. trust me, people see my prosthetics and sometimes just pass me by. people judge first by your photos so let her be entriced by your personality, then she can't resist but to get to know you better! and anyone who can't accept you for what you have to offer, then they aren't worth the time. happy fishing
 roseyn
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/22/2009 6:29:23 PM
they're afraid of what they don't know.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Does my handicap affect how they think of me?