Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Is Winnipeg, Manitoba really that friendly?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SmartAlec
Msg: 2
Is Winnipeg, Manitoba really that friendly?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
irony that this guy was not even from Winnipeg!
 Belle Requin
Msg: 4
Is Winnipeg, Manitoba really that friendly?
Posted: 9/24/2009 2:35:40 PM
Some of us are friendly. Read half the comments to articles in either the Sun or the Free Press and you'll see the other half is a bunch of ignorant unfriendly cavemen.

Giving teens adult sentences isn't going to help. MYC is better than the homes of most of these children. When they like jail more than their home life, are we really dumb enough to say that we should make stays longer, or kiddie jail harsher? And the ONLY thing an adult sentence will do for a kid is introduce them to social networking a la corrections style, and the academy of criminal behavior. Jail scares middle class people with respectable jobs. When your aunt, uncle, mom, brother, cousin, and friends have been to jail, what's the deterrent?

Criminals don't rationalize things the way non-criminals do. Until you understand them, you can't effectively conform them to the laws.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2009 5:05:07 PM
Sparx said

the news up here we hear about the latest stabbing, car thefts, home invasions, shootings. Winnipeg sounds like a miserable place to live full of violence and crime.

I have no violence or crime in my life. I'm having a fun time living in the Peg. I'm pretty friendly.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/28/2009 5:46:38 AM
Charging them as an adult can't be mandated by gov't bill. Criminal law is the SOLE jurisdiction of the Feds. That being said, Prosecutions in this city, is seeking adult sentences frequently on youth offenders- ones not even gang affiliated. However, it is the crown who has to prove and convince a judge that an adult sentence is necessary, and that's not always easy. The fact is, the YCJA exists on the premise that youths have a slightly dimished moral blameworthiness than adults, so giving an adult sentence flies in the face of the very principle the YCJA rests on. It's offender, not offence focused, and that's something that is likely considered a "fundamental principle" of justice, and not easily over ruled.
 RacerM95
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/28/2009 9:09:15 PM
To a point it still is, I know I try and make a point of being courtious to drivers, be it cars or trucks., I even let Transit busses in ahead of me.. Call Pan handlers Sir, treat them with respect.. so far it has worked for me....
 TooShadows
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2009 8:22:33 AM
Can we really equate violence with the everyday people we meet,though? I agree the violence has gotten out of hand,but I don't believe it has anything to do with the people you may meet elsewhere.

On the other hand,I've seen a couple of situations that make me wonder about "Friendly Manitoba". One was when my sister-in-law swerved to avoid a deer on a rural road in our area and ended up rolling her car into a water filled ditch. As she's walking home barefoot and soaking wet,she says that at least 4 vehicles passed her without stopping to see if she needed help. And here I thought Woodlands was a close-knit rural community.
The other was when my 8 months pregnant girlfriend had a flat tire on highway 68 in Eddystone. As she was trying to change the tire people were slowing down,flipping her the bird and driving off. No one stopped to help her. She was finally able to get me on the phone(I was working on a job 10 miles down the road)and I headed over to give her a hand.

Maybe it's just me,but I've often been late for an engagement of some type because I stopped to help someone.
 MsTree
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/9/2009 11:12:20 PM
When I go out and meet people not from Winnipeg, they have said that Winnipeg is not friendly. Anyone who was friendly to them were also not from Winnipeg. I am not originally from Winnipeg, but am from Manitoba. And I don't think the crime in this city is a measure of how friendly it is. Just because a place is friendly doesn't mean it doesn't have crime. My girlfriend from back home was visiting and we were downtown and she held the door open for the person behind her. It's what nice people do. Well! It just wasn't one person that walked through, but a number of people and not one of them said thank you. I finally told her to leave the door because she could be standing there all day. I would say the people from the country are more friendlier. But people coming to our city are expecting to meet friendly people because that is what is being advertised. Friendly Manitoba. How friendly are you?
 1northguide
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2009 5:59:34 AM
not at all friendly,, i would rather stay out of town as much as possible,, but have to go sometimes,, and only in the daylight,,, or in certain areas only,,

need prooof wait and see the responses,,
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Is Winnipeg, Manitoba really that friendly?