Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > US ranked 37th in Health Care!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 3
view profile
History
US ranked 37th in Health Care!Page 1 of 1    
Wow you mean we moved back up from 50? Yippee!

This has all been pretty much covered in the healthcare reform forums and is redundant. The real story is not given by our low ranking.

Canada, who ranks number 8 (or at least they did in the list we ranked almost 50th in) is a whopping 3 years ahead of us. With one tenth of our population, it's not like some huge jump or something.

Take into account our heightened murder rate, our heightened fatal traffic accident rate, and our number of minorities with a shorter lifespan and we are pretty much on par with everyone else.
 cotter
Msg: 4
view profile
History
US ranked 37th in Health Care!
Posted: 9/24/2009 8:56:13 AM

So not only are we paying through the nose for health insurance - we're going bankrupt anyway! Insurance companies are denying claims – and people are dying and/or going bankrupt as a result! Is this really OK?
No it's not Okay.

I think the health benefits of Congress and the Senate should be suspended until they pass a bill that will give all of us the opportunity to have affordable health care. Anyone wanna bet how long it would take them to pass a bill?

Ummmm ... by the end of the week?
 cotter
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 1:50:24 PM

Study Shows U.S., Japan, and France Have Highest Cancer Survival Rates

It's strange that everyone keeps trying to beat down our current medical system.
It appears that survey is regarding those who have been diagnosed AND treated.

What would the numbers look like if one takes into consideration all the deaths of the UNdiagnosed deaths related to cancer?

If you don't have insurance and just can't get to the doctor to even get a diagnosis ... then obviously you won't be a part of those statistics ... eh?
 EarlzP
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 4:10:43 PM

From what I understand that if they lift the ability to trade out of state for medical then insurance just might go down because there would be a wider more competitive field for costs.

Without a public option the current health care industry has no reason to fix their problems, that's none like in zero, now if I am wrong I think Congressperson Olympia Snowe came up with a great plan to give the health care industry 4 years to straighen out their problems or impose a public option to make sure it happens. The public option would happen if the health care industry could not hit their reform targets on time
 cotter
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 4:37:23 PM

Olympia Snowe came up with a great plan to give the health care industry 4 years to straighen out their problems or impose a public option to make sure it happens. The public option would happen if the health care industry could not hit their reform targets on time
You give the health care industry 4 years to do away with pre-existing crap and all the other BS they throw at us and they will take 3 years, 11 months and 30 days to do away with it ... guaranteed.

In the meantime, they will be profiting out of this world on the backs of the public because health insurance will be mandatory and they will still screw us over.

I stick with what I posted before ...
I think the health benefits of Congress and the Senate should be suspended until they pass a bill that will give all of us the opportunity to have affordable health care.
They are all quite happy to take any time they want to pass a bill ... they have no worries ... they all have reputable health care. What do they care about those of us who don't?
 EarlzP
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 6:02:08 PM

You give the health care industry 4 years to do away with pre-existing crap and all the other BS they throw at us and they will take 3 years, 11 months and 30 days to do away with it ... guaranteed.

Actually they would be given bench marks ie: if they had not eliminated pre existing conditions within the first 6 months the public option would be automatically offered to the public.

Your idea would certainly get their attention and why can't we do it? We pay them out of our taxes, it's time they realize who it is that is signing their pay checks, unlike the public when they lose office or retire their health care continues maybe they need to feel what it's like to be a real citizen of the USA
 cotter
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 8:11:15 PM

Actually they would be given bench marks ie: if they had not eliminated pre existing conditions within the first 6 months the public option would be automatically offered to the public.
Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything about bench marks. I think I might be able to stomach that ... but I would never ever even give them 4 years to turn things around.

I've lived with health care for all and it doesn't take that much time to transition into it.

OT ...
There is no reason for us to be ranked so low. I grew up across the river from The Ohio State University and I was used to 1st class medical care. It's only been since the insurance HMO's have become so powerful that we are now sacrificing actual care of those that need it.

That has to stop.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2009 11:21:30 AM
Here's a good article on the subject that is a little more up to date, written by a doctor.

http://smartgirlnation.com/2009/06/popular-ranking-unfairly-misrepresents-the-us-health-care-system/

It may shed some light on it.
 EarlzP
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2009 8:25:46 AM

One-eyed,
The study is published ..... in the August edition of The Lancet Oncology. Funding was provided by the CDC, the Department of Health in London, and Cancer Research UK in London.
In rebuttal,
There is a huge variation in cancer survival rates after treatment depending on the fact in which country cancer patients live and to which race patients belong.
Professor Michel Coleman from London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine led a team of 100 scientist who examined data from 1.9 million people living in 31 countries. Researchers found that USA has the best score with 5 years of survival rate for breast cancer at 83.9% and prostate cancer at 91.9%.

Wonder how the race component comes into play?

My grandmother died from cancer 100 years ago, and today we talk about survival rates after 5 years, Why with all of this research being done does cancer even exist any more?
 bliss serendipity
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2009 10:54:07 PM

Why with all of this research being done does cancer even exist any more?

What would the pharmaceutical companies plus the CDC, College of Physicians, do if cures were found for cancer and many other diseases? It's in their best interests for people to be sick, in some cases perpetually.

Bliss
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > US ranked 37th in Health Care!