Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > And the endoctrinization begins.........      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 1
view profile
History
And the endoctrinization begins.........Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zrsl8o4ZPo

A video posted on YouTube appears to show a New Jersey elementary school class being taught to sing praises of the "great accomplishments" of President Obama.

The video shows nearly 20 young children taught a song overflowing with campaign slogans and praise for "Barack Hussein Obama," repeatedly chanting the president's name and celebrating his accomplishments, including his "great plans" to "make this country's economy No. 1 again.

The video identifies the kids as students at the B. Bernice Young Elementary School in Burlington, N.J., with taping taking place last June.

The song quotes directly from the spiritual "Jesus Loves the Little Children," though Jesus' name is replaced with Obama's.

Kim Jong Il would be so proud.
 mungojoe
Msg: 2
And the endoctrinization begins.........
Posted: 9/24/2009 1:23:47 PM
What, exactly, is endoctrinization?

And the quote posted is a bad thing because...?
 etourdi77
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/24/2009 3:13:31 PM
indoctrination- to instruct in a doctrine, principle, ideology, etc., esp. to imbue with a specific partisan or biased belief or point of view.

This video was uploaded in June of this year. Liberals don't have a problem with this type of brainwashing because like the children in the video most don't even understand what Obama stands for or what his policy and agenda are. Replace those children with most Liberals on the forum and then try to discuss Obama policies and you will have about the same chance of receiving a rational response,,,If you stand as an opponent to Obamas policies you will at first be called names, then suffer through a litany on nonsensical irrational unrelated responses, then you will have to listen to the Well Bush did such and such.....misdirection tactic....then it the argument usually ends with one Liberal making attempting to make fun of(ridicule) the person who is the most vocal against Obama or his policies and the thread ends with a group of following responses from Liberals that express their annoyance with someone questioning Obama and further attempts at ridiculing the Obama detractor........
 EarlzP
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 4:00:06 PM
So tell me did the President or any democrat send this jingle to the school, if someone passes gas is the President responsible for it? I fail to get your indoctrination theory, is this going to required in class rooms around the country

More distortion just some thing else for those opposed to President Obama to drag around and shovel against the wall, show me where the President or any of his cabinet or any democratic representative of the people made this mandatory for our teachers to teach in school

What a load of garbage, is this the best you can come up with?
 geeleebee
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 5:43:46 PM
'...all must lend a hand...'
'...red, yellow, black, or white, all are precious in His sight...'
'...equal work means equal pay...'

Yeah, I can understand why some folks can't get behind the concept...
I do have to ask: If those children had sung the praises of George W. Bush, would there have been a thread started by anyone on the Right claiming that it was 'indoctrination?
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 10:48:15 PM

I do have to ask: If those children had sung the praises of George W. Bush, would there have been a thread started by anyone on the Right claiming that it was 'indoctrination?

I'm not saying there aren't some good sentiments in the little chant, but it's the fact there is a chant to begin with. Kids in preschool to second grade should not be made to chant praises to anyone in politics.

And yes, I'm blushing about the title typo, I was at work when one of my customers brought it to my attention and I had to check it out and type it in a hurry and made some errors. Sorry.
 a bit nomadic
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/24/2009 10:53:23 PM
Well, ready4somethingfun, when you can show that the government had something to do with this, then I'll be concerned about government indoctrination.

In the meantime, I know a woman in Lubbock, TX, who teaches her kids about how good Jesus is. I haven't turned her in. Should I start a thread about her INDOCTRINATION of her little Lubbock school kids?

Actually, I know I should turn her in....but she's one teacher in one school and nobody that I know of is DIRECTING her activities, so I figure her influence is pretty limited...although actually, I suspect there are far more public school teachers pushing Jesus than there are pushing Obama.....so.....

What do you think?
 flyguy51
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/24/2009 11:07:53 PM
I actually find this somewhat alarming, and I really hope that this is not being done without the consent of the parents. These sorts of things are often shown out of their larger context, so I don't like to rush to judgment.

I'm not a fan of indoctrination of this sort, but, as nomadic pointed out, it happens. The difference here is that there is a video of it happening. It certainly does not reflect negatively on the Obama administration at all.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 11:15:20 PM

when you can show that the government had something to do with this, then I'll be concerned about government indoctrination.

Where exactly did I say government indoctrination? I didn't. Did these kids choose to sing this song? Or were they made to sing it? If God should not be allowed in public schools then should a church hymn with changed lyrics to sing praises to a political figure be allowed? Especially when some don't feel the "little ditty" is completely honest?

My personal feeling is you should turn the teacher in if you feel she is pushing a belief on kids that you don't agree with, and/or that they are in direct conflict with the separation of church and state, however limited you may feel it is. If a teacher was trying to push God on my kids in a public school I'd tell them to stop immediately. Same with Obama unless it's in a government related course and an unbiased view is presented.
 a bit nomadic
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/24/2009 11:37:36 PM
Well, watching it, it looks like the preparation for some kind of assembly or other special occasion. Those kids don't look like they are in a school room, and there's no evidence that they are doing something like a daily recitation. I wonder if this is in preparation for a visitor, or if some group has used the assembly hall for some reason, or what? Do you have any more information?

But sure, I would object to kids doing something like this as a daily thing, and if this is a teacher in a public school teaching her kids to sing in praise of Obama as an indoctrinating "chant" then you are right, it's way wrong. But your headline is alarmist: "and the endoctrination (sic) begins...." implying something really big and insidious. It brings to mind that crazy Bachman woman's claims of indoctrination camps we're all supposed to be sent to soon....or Glen Beck-esque zombie chambers.
 rory27
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2009 1:20:10 AM
The video was shot by Charisse Carney-Nunes at a Burlington Township elementary school in NJ. (She's proselytized at at least one other NJ school, as well.) She is the Senior Vice President of Programs at the Jamestown Project. Here is their curriculum guide for grades 3 through 5:

"Children Do Democracy Too is an outgrowth of our Doing Democracy work. The purpose of the initiative is to equip children with the knowledge and tools necessary to meaningfully participate in civil society and democracy. The central question we seek to answer is, “How do we instill the values of citizenship and active participation into the youngest, and in many ways the most important, members of our democracy?”

The Jamestown Project released A Children’s Curriculum for Civic Engagement in the Fall of 2008 as part of this initiative. The curriculum is based on our book I DREAM FOR YOU A WORLD: A COVENANT FOR OUR CHILDREN.

The Curriculum adapts the concepts from the book into lessons and activities to promote civic engagement to elementary aged children. Grades 3 – 5 are the optimal age for children to not only understand their place in the world, but also a time to begin to comprehend their power and potential to make a difference in their own lives, their family, their communities, and their country.

We are currently piloting the curriculum and seeking new partners to help us evaluate the program, share learning, and to strategize about achieving future goals."

(bolding mine)

She has also written a children's book entitled "I Am Barack Obama(2009)"; she promotes her book thusly: "it allows children to see themselves through the inspirational story of President Obama growing up as an ordinary child asking, Who will change the world? Ultimately, he realizes that he will."

At least the "he" wasn't capitalized.
 cotter
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2009 9:23:39 AM

I wonder if this is in preparation for a visitor, or if some group has used the assembly hall for some reason, or what?
It could have been a classroom project ... make up a song and teach your fellow class members?

We had to compose a song while taking music theory ... didn't have to put any words to it, but had to compose it for several instruments as well. The point is ... it may just have been some sort of class project and the person who composed it was fond of what they felt OBAMA stands for.

I mean just like a lot of neocons are hyped up war mongers ... the song could have easily involved that kind of rhetoric as well ... depending on what one admires ... eh?
 laxref41
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/25/2009 9:40:21 AM
"If God should not be allowed in public schools then should a church hymn with changed lyrics to sing praises to a political figure be allowed?"

Yes because our Constitution does not prohibit singing the praises of a publicly elected political figure but it does prohibit using public funds in a public forum to respect an establishment of religion... and God is certainly an establishment of religion.

First Amendment...
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I also find it kind of comical that the folks on the Christian conservative right refer to this local issue as indoctrination... as if they haven't been practicing indoctrination themselves to push forward a theocracy for years...

Let's have a quiz... what famous political figure said:

"The receptivity of the masses is unlimited, yet their understanding is feeble. They quickly forget. Effective propaganda must be confined to stereotypes (maybe referring to "tax and spend democrats" or "lazy minorities wanting to live off handouts and the hard work of others"?). Always focus people's attention on a single foe (Obama?). Crude simplifications, endlessly repeated will influence the supple. For the non-supple, the stubborn, terror is necessary (create fear in people's minds that they're going to lose all that they've worked for?).

Certainly appears to be the philosophy of the Christian conservative movement.

Who said it? Adolf Hitler
Where he admittedly got the philosophy: the Christian church
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2009 12:20:53 PM

But your headline is alarmist: "and the endoctrination (sic) begins...." implying something really big and insidious.

I agree and I did apologize earlier, as I was very pressed for time, hence the errors and limited thought given to the title. I actually just wanted to see what people thought about this.
 mungojoe
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/25/2009 2:04:06 PM

If God should not be allowed in public schools then should a church hymn with changed lyrics to sing praises to a political figure be allowed?

Well...

First off... Technically, it isn't a "church hymn", it was written as a nursery rhyme...

Second... it was co-opted into public culture many, many years ago (used as an intro to "Everything is Beautiful", the Grammy Award winning Ray Stevens' song, which itself has also been co-opted by many churches for religious purposes). This has been a school choir standard for decades. It is pushing the limits of credulity to call this violating the principle of separation of church and state.

Third... This type of civic/citizenship teaching (where the President has been treated as the ultimate celebrity) has been in use in the US since I was in kindergarten.

Fourth... Teaching at the kindergarten/primary level uses song as a teaching tool across the board. They sing about the days of the week, months and seasons of the year... you name it, they sing about it (and the songs are ALWAYS catchy little, up-tempo ditties based on tunes the children are likely already familiar with), it's just how teaching at the kindergarten and primary level works (best, and yes, I've taught kindergarten).

Did these kids choose to sing this song? Or were they made to sing it?

Just how much of any day's school lesson in any subject, citizenshp/civics of math, is a matter of "choice" over "forced to"? Your question is redundant at best, disingenuous at worst. Just how effectively do you believe a kindergarten (or higher) class could be managed if lessons were predicated on the child's "choice"? Anyhoo... back to the list.

Fifth... If this is "indoctrination" then what would you call forcing (and it is, or a least was, forced and enforced in most places) a child to stand at attention, hand over heart, and recite the Pledge of Allegiance or, as used to occur in many places, reciting the Lord's Prayer at the start of the day?

And... at the end of the day... how could it truly be considered "indoctrination" when they will likely never have the opportunity to vote for Obama (they weren't asked to sing "The Democratic Party Loves the Little Children While Republicans are Baby Eaters")?
 mungojoe
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/25/2009 2:50:33 PM
When Obama runs for his 3 rd or 4th term ...... He will not be 60?

I think he would be 60 at the start of his 4th term.

Of course, since we're talking about kids who are, generally, under 8, only the very oldest of them would be able to vote for a 4th term...

...but it'll pay off in spades by the time number 5 rolls around
 cotter
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2009 4:24:08 PM

When Obama runs for his 3 rd or 4th term ...... He will not be 60?

...but it'll pay off in spades by the time number 5 rolls around

Let's see ... by the time number 5 rolls around he will be about 64 years old and that's still younger than Ronnie when he was elected ... he was 70.

That'll give me plenty of time to indoctrinate the neighborhood children.

I have an auto harp I can carry around with me as I sing ...

LMAO ... come here little children ... let me teach you a cute little song.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/25/2009 5:13:28 PM
5 terms for Obama ?
Sick puppies.

Imported_labor
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/25/2009 5:37:59 PM

Where exactly did I say government indoctrination? I didn't.

Ok., you didn't say it, but it was strongly suggested in your closing remark:

Kim Jong Il would be so proud.

Rest my case.
 badge3939
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/25/2009 6:02:15 PM
hat not the only video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKPFX6hzxfs&feature=related

Can history repeat it self?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1DCEJy-OCc&feature=related
 badge3939
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/25/2009 7:34:01 PM
They were not only praising Bush, Also Congress, and FEMA People.

Then the Obama 1 is only for Obama. Not Congress or anyone else.
 geeleebee
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2009 8:11:47 PM

They were not only praising Bush, Also Congress, and FEMA People.

Then the Obama 1 is only for Obama. Not Congress or anyone else.

So, if children sing a song where two or more entities are praised, that's okay, but if it's only ONE entity, then it's a no-go?
 badge3939
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/25/2009 8:24:15 PM
Maybe check this video out.

Can history repeat it self?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1DCEJy-OCc&feature=related
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2009 11:30:14 AM
^^^^^^^

Wow, I honestly never saw that before. No wonder I renounced religion.
 etourdi77
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/26/2009 12:19:16 PM
There is a big difference between being in a Church and being in a classroom(Public School).......
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > And the endoctrinization begins.........