Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Law of Attraction, aka The Secret      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 4
Law of Attraction, aka The SecretPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I saw the movie, it was good. You should also watch the movie "What the bleep do you know". It gives you the physics on it.

This is called manifesting. Does it work. Oh hell yes!!! Just be careful what you wish for and BE SPECIFIC!

You will atract what you are thinking.
 the SoldierByte
Msg: 5
Law of Attraction, aka The Secret
Posted: 9/25/2009 7:18:52 AM

Basically in a nutshell it says that you get what you think about.

I "THINK" about sex, money and food all the time..
I still have no females,
I got to work for my money..
and the food part is debatable..
that "thinkin" part aint workin for me..
I'll just keep lookin ....
---SoldierByte---
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2009 8:07:13 AM
I've read the book and, when I'm going through difficult times, times when I'm having difficulty keeping my thoughts positive and towards my goals.. I watch the movie to reinforce it's message. Thoughts are energy so, use your energy for good positive outcomes.

Yes, i've experienced it working when thinking both positively and negatively.
Thank you for reminding me, Op .. as the author says: "Thoughts are energy, choose good ones."

Double Cabin
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2009 8:30:01 AM
I know I can schtoop her. I know I can schtoop her. I kI know I can schtoop her. I know I can schtoop her. I know I can schtoop her.. ...

Yeah, works for me.

"Just say no to negativity." "Be the change in the world you wish to see."
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/25/2009 9:03:31 AM
What if my attraction is too strong for Vancer's repulsion?
Ha ha--sucked you in!
Wait, that makes ME the sucker.
Oh--ha ha-- WIN-WIN
 red_relaxed
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/25/2009 10:12:05 AM
The law of attraction, yes...a universal law!
We are what we think about all day.
Thoughts are real things.
We have the power to alter our thinking patterns when we need to.
 daynadaze
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2009 10:36:38 AM
Ever notice how this doesn't work for chidren being raped/tortured/murdered even though they are putting all their emotions into one plea? Or how it doesn't work...well you know, it doesn't work unless you are doing something that can make the outcome the same even if you didn't spend a bunch of money on books and movies of people making a buck off your need to be told the obvious.
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2009 1:15:29 PM

Let's get real here. There is nothing magical going on here. Obviously the more you think about something in a positive way, the more your efforts will be directed towards reaching that "thing" whether it is conscious or not. Conversely, the more you think about something in a negative way, the more your efforts will be directed at avoiding that "thing."
You're right.. absolutely nothing magical about it at all. The book merely reminds us of the laws of the Universe, gives us tools to keep focused at directing our positive thoughts and energies towards our goals/wants/needs etc.
Obviously, for those of you saying you want money or a meaningful relationship, the very act of just sitting there waiting for it to come to you is negative in itself
I don't recall anyone saying they expect to sit there and things will automatically just come to us.
Think about it, what you're mind is processing is "I want a million dollars, but I don't want to do anything for it." For those of you that aren't rocket scientists, logic says that if you aren't willing to get up off your ass and chase something, than you must not really want it.
I'm confused. You seem to be advocating the teachings in the book, but at the same time you seem to be skeptical of it.??? Have you read the book?

Pretty basic stuff.
Yep, it is.
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2009 3:00:47 PM
It's sounds more spiritual and mystical than magical to me... but actually it's simply the power of positive thinking, ..

Cheerzzz.
 FLmusicdude
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2009 6:48:20 PM
the secret kind of bummed me out because it was too mystical, it made it seem like all you had to do was have a positive mental attitude (PMA) and visualize, so i failed at first. Then I began to read other books that explained the science of autosuggestion and the effect it can have on ones brain, then their outlook on life, which causes them to act differently. When I read the science behind it I realized it can work, but only with faith and persistence. If you liked the secret but are skeptical try reading more cut and dry books about the subject and the facts behind it's workings. I suggest:

Think & Grow Rich
by Napoleon Hill

and

The 7 Habits of Highly Succesful People
by Stephen R. Covey

it turns the ideas from mystical to science.
 *Sanscheyle*
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/26/2009 6:05:22 AM
OP, I've read your posting history and know how torn up you were about your situation. My heart goes out to you and I just want you to know you're not alone.

As far as the book goes, "The Secret" doesn't say anymore than what you have the ability to do yourself. If you throw negative thoughts out in the universe then chances are you'll receive negative results. We're all connected in some way by positive and negative energy and some collision is inevitable in the grand scheme of things. If your thought process is geared in a positive way then naturally you'll put yourself in situations that won't evoke stress and despair. On the flip side, if your life is filled with negative thoughts, then your actions will subconsciously feed on those thoughts propelling you into a downward spiral.

This is just my opinion OP, but like Dorothy in the "Wizard of Oz" you've always possessed the power to have what you desire...you just have to believe it yourself.

Sans
 the SoldierByte
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/26/2009 6:09:03 AM

As far as the book goes, "The Secret" doesn't say anymore than what you have the ability to do yourself.

I agree, and my best wish's go out to you..
---SoldierByte---
 Udahchica
Msg: 29
Posted: 9/26/2009 12:43:39 PM
I love this book!!!
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2009 3:40:04 PM
^^^^ Congratulations :0)

Good wishes too!

............... ...................... .................... .............................. ...........................
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2009 10:20:24 AM
*Looks up * Thanx for your negative thoughts. Did you have a particular reason why you think that way?
........................... ................................ .............................. ........................
 FLmusicdude
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2009 7:05:16 PM
Everyone thinks the same way, what differs is what we think about. You can't honestly expect that everyone is brought up with the same set of principles ingrained in their skulls about how to handle life. This book is a good first step for those who see the world through a lens of negativity or hopelessness, or simply for those who aren't sure how to get to their next step in life.
 Oohyou
Msg: 38
Posted: 9/27/2009 11:54:58 PM
The Secret struck me as a rip off of several similar books which preceded it.
There are so many books saying essentially the same thing;
some way better than others.
One book which helped me was 'You'll See It When You Believe It' by Wayne Dyer.

I practiced this stuff (which I call "willful optimism") and got good results.
These concepts get misrepresented as a sales pitch for getting what you want just by the lazy magic of merely controlling your mind, which is of course sadly delusional.

We cannot prove or disprove the stuff about 'Thoughts always manifest tangibly.' or
'Thoughts have magnetic attraction powers to bring you what you think about.'
That inability to prove or disprove it is irrelevant, IMO, because OTHER aspects of this material are obviously, undeniably beneficial and worthwhile.

The key is this:

1. If you anticipate you will get what you want, then you are much more willing to do what it takes to get it, even without any guarantee that all of your work and sacrifice will pay off the way you want it to do. So your thinking influences your mood, which influences your behavior, which raises your odds for getting what you want.

2. If you walk around imagining you have (or will soon have) the things you want most, then you walk around feeling happy, and being happy is the actual goal behind lots of more specific goals we all have, so that's one reward for practicing this discipline of restricting your anticipation exclusively to see the results you desire.
Walking around in this happy state may also give you more energy to be more productive, and may make you more attractive to others for every kind of interaction or relationship.
 nipoleon
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2009 12:37:58 PM
You have to understand the American mind set.
We are a very religious people.
And...... we are very gullible.

Anyone can make a fortune on any crack pot idea, as long as it's wrapped in a pseudo/quasi religious framework.

Does the law of attraction work ?
Of course it works...... but not the way you think.

You have to remember.
God sends you what you need.
The Devil sends you what you want.
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2009 10:03:33 AM
^^^ I think your thinking about Scientology.. they do lock you in a room and if you are with a friend they will separate you, deny you food and water an washroom breaks. It happened to a friends of mine who just wanted a tour of their facilities.

They ending up buying their "bible" just to get the F out.
 Stormwolf
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2009 2:27:59 AM
The universe supports the reality of your beliefs absolutely.
When you believe you must struggle for abundance,
then it will bring about situations that are conducive to struggle;
when you believe you cannot experience love without pain,
the universe will give you exactly that - love with pain;
when you believe it takes time for an illness to heal - then so it will.
There is not a single force opposing you, there is only ONE force supporting you absolutely.
It is called LOVE, the force that birthed you, that created you in its own image.
This love is so magnanimous it will give you exactly and absolutely whatever it is that your reality entails.
Change your beliefs and you change your reality."
~ Author Unknown ~
 ItsMargo
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2009 10:59:52 AM
The underpinnings of this stuff works in life. In a nutshell: how we think and interpret life is what we get out of it.

However, as a person with a marketing background, I am amazed at the exceptional marketing spin they have put on it. How truly amazing to simplify and package this stuff, put a jacket of awe and mystery around it and make lots of money. Kind of like how EST and The Power of Now guy (his name escapes me at the mo' and I'm too lazy to look it up) repackaged Buddism and marketed it. New money for old rope.

However people access it, and however people profit from it is fine. Won't begrudge people making money from the repackaging efforts. It does kind of disturb me that the repackaging of this is based around getting more things in your life rather than getting more out of your life. But I suppose that is what has the initial draw for people, so it's a natural place to land on.
 parrothead29
Msg: 58
Posted: 10/29/2009 8:52:55 PM
Well I beleive in the principle but there is a lot more to learn and it is not simply wishing for things or thinking about things alot. And its about knowing not thinking...big difference... can't learn it from a book
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Law of Attraction, aka The Secret