Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Canadian Marc Emery is going to US jail.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FrogO_Oeyes
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Canadian Marc Emery is going to US jail.Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I have ALWAYS had an issue with this particular US attitude - that they can enforce their laws OUTSIDE their borders. It should be apparent that this is blatantly hypocritical at best. I doubt very much that Americans would tolerate for a split second, the enforcement of Taliban Sharia on US soil. Would those laws not be equally valid? And if they could theoretically be applied to anyone under Taliban rule, then why not beyond Afghan borders?

I would have no issue of extraditing a person from Canada if that person had actually violated laws outside of Canada. However, no-one can be reasonably expected to adhere to laws of any jurisdiction in which they are not present. It's about time the tables were turned. Or perhaps that's why Americans are already prime targets for global terrorism? Between endemic ignorance and pandemic arrogance, the targets just get more and more inviting.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Canadian Marc Emery is going to US jail.
Posted: 9/29/2009 12:47:00 AM

I have ALWAYS had an issue with this particular US attitude - that they can enforce their laws OUTSIDE their borders.
It's one of the things that most of the world has an issue with, that, and the hypocrisy of those attitudes.

Remember, the week when the Iraq War of 2003 started, I was in Israel, and the big news there was NOT the upcoming war, but that it became global news outside the USA that America was putting incredible pressure on other countries to let them sell US steel in those countries, with no import charges, but were charging exorbitant import fees themselves for foreign steel imported to the USA. This guaranteed that foreign steel was far more expensive than US steel in the USA, and foreign steel was at best only matching US steel for price even in their own countries, and often were still more expensive even in their own countries, because they were subject to domestic taxes that US steel was not. So US steel was cheaper than any other steel in much of the world, and all because of American pressure on those countries. But after Iraq was invaded for a second time, it was forgotten. For the media, it suddenly became old news. But for those countries, they saw what happened when Iraq threatened to stop trading oil in American dollars. They didn't want to be invaded as well, just because they refused to artificially make American products cheaper than everyone else's.

And people wonder why so many countries hate America.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/29/2009 6:35:38 AM
He didn't sell pot. He sold seeds.

It's very, very similar to the way the DEA went after Tommy Chong. His son had a website that sold pipes. They placed an online order for one of the states where selling a pipe is illegal, then arrested Tommy. Forced him to take a plea by threatening to jail his entire family.

In this case, they forced Emery to accept jail time by threatening to jail his girlfriend. I actually have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I don't think a guy who runs stock scams in Montreal, but only targets Americans should be given a "Get Out of Jail Free" card - so the principle of extraditing isn't a problem for me. I do think that the US drug laws are wildly disproportionate to the crime. So I think we should refuse to extradite for this sort of thing.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/29/2009 6:47:19 AM
Selling seeds isn't selling pot. Anymore than selling poppy seeds is the same as selling opium or heroin.
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2009 7:45:10 AM

Is Canada the most spineless government you've ever seen?

What's new? Canada enjoys its "freedoms" and individual liberties in large part because its neighbor to the south is not spineless.

The willful act of enabling citizens of another country to violate that country's laws is the issue, not what a person does in his own country. Profiteering while doing so pretty much eliminates any hint of moral superiority of some cause.

Looking at this issue and blaming democratic governments is like treating cancer with band-aids. There are many people who see the recreational use of mind altering substances as wrong and a subset of these people feel it is important to force that view on others. The democratic process empowers them to do just that. Since their ideals are the root cause, why not put your effort into changing the cause instead of whining about the symptoms? These people have arguments that need to be addressed to them, not around them, if you want the issue resolved. The usual political protocols apply in the form of conciliation and understanding instead of confrontation. Confrontation will only harden their resolve.

Personally, I have no use for such things and judge those that use them negatively for their choice but philosophically, I am against criminalization except in situations that put others at risk or impose on their freedoms and property. How would you address my point of view?
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2009 7:51:02 AM

Should the Smith & Wesson company be jailed for selling handguns to the public (not cops)?

If it was illegal to sell them, sure. The company is a corporation whose charter is issued by a democratic representative government with a constitution specifically allowing the population to bear arms. Its pretty clear they have an obligation to obey the law. Are you claiming Smith and Wesson sells handguns mail order to people for whom handgun ownership is illegal?

You did not answer my point about how would you address someone like me who has no use for recreational drugs and less respect for those who do but does not feel the drugs should be criminal.

I feel pretty much the same way about guns but from a different perspective. I have spent many hours sport shooting (not hunting) almost always with police officiers. I am usually the better shot. I have taught many kids about guns from the care and maintainence to the immense responsibility they impart to those who wield them. In most circumstances, having guns in a home with children is a bad idea but so is having dangerous drugs legal or otherwise. Simply having the matches or lighters for pot or cigarettes is a risk with kids. So how do you legislate common sense? Much if not most crime in the US is perpetrated by drug users to pay for their drugs and I feel individual citizens have a right to use guns to protect themselves and their property even if that means they will shoot a drug user.

The US and Canadian governments cooperate on many issues based on each other's priorities. Are you saying they should not?
 eeeo4U
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2009 9:53:52 AM
Is Canada the most spineless government? No that honor would go to Great Britain, both England and Scotland...they deny entry to Michael Savage while releasing the Lockerbie bomber for "compassionate" reasons. Personally I think the stuff should be legalized especially for legitimate medical reasons, taxed to the nth degree to retire the deficit, and "decriminalized" for all recreational use...this might put me at odds with fellow conservatives but I believe in the 1st as well as the 2nd and the rest of the amendments...
 kabiosile
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2009 2:00:30 PM
US drug laws are draconian, foolish and more of a problem than the drugs themselves. I am purely amazed at how gangster the US government is on this issue. Canada legalizes and the USA says you cant do that and Canada folds. Unbelievable. Obviously it is the USA that makes the policy and laws in Canada as well. Your system of Governance is obviously just a puppet regime of the USA. The USA calls the shots, the proof is in the pudding.

The only reason they dont want to legalize pot is it is too big of a cash cow for them to make legal. They are worried that if legalized the price would drop to the cost of a head of lettuce as it should be. That means they cant confiscate peoples land cars and tons of $$$ when they bust into their house with machine guns and begin to wreck the persons life all over a plant that mankind has used as medicine, textiles, and relaxation since the dawn of time.

Further the law is in place to protect the multinational chemical corporations, the logging industry as well as other industries. Because hemp requires absolutely NO chemicals to grow, process, and turn into the strongest rope, wood, and material to make and build just about everything that we currently use highly destructive practices to replace hemp, that serve to enrich chemical companies and other industries that have their hands DEEP in the pockets of the people making laws.

Pure foolishness!

PS marijuana seeds are a VERY nutritious food that has a long history of people eating them... So whats next poppy seeds? You can grow opium poppies from them and they sell them legally at the grocery store here yet, they are perfectly legal. It is because of what ethnic groups commonly eat them. These laws are based on politics and racism/ethnocentrism. If it was people of a nation from Europe whom ate the pot seeds they would not be illegal. The fact that it was mostly people from "brown" nations that ate and used this plant played a HUGE role in why it got demonized and made illegal.

The US DEA has no jurisdiction in Canada. If I was the leader of Canada I would tell the USA to sit on their thumbs and spin on this issue. Unless Canada wishes to give up sovereignty to the USA and be under the thumb of the USA I think people should be voicing their disgust with this issue.

Marijuana is completely harmless. No one ever died from ingesting the stuff in the history of mankind. This is completely political why it is illegal.

This man is nothing more than another political prisoner!!

I would have thought after the USA took a Canadian citizen to Syria to be tortured after the erroneously swore up and down he was a terrorist Canada would have wised up and been more careful than to just go along with whatever Washington orders but, I guess I held your leaders in a bit too high of regard.
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2009 7:51:21 AM

Personally I think the stuff should be legalized especially for legitimate medical reasons, taxed to the nth degree to retire the deficit, and "decriminalized" for all recreational use...this might put me at odds with fellow conservatives but I believe in the 1st as well as the 2nd and the rest of the amendments...

Except for the tax part, that would make you libertarian, not conservative.

Marijuana is completely harmless.

When both sides insist on exaggeration, the impass will continue and the winner will be the side with the most political power. As long as there is opposition to whatever is legislated, the issue will not be settled.

Since it would appear Canadians all agree that their country is spineless and thus not a threat to would be totalitarians, it would seem they are doormat not just for bully neighbors but a welcome mat for terrorists as demonstrated by 9/11. To US citizens, Canada seems good place to go after potential terrorists before they make that last step from Canada to the US. When they can, US citizens go after terrorists and totalitarians where they come from before they come through Canada to attack.

Maybe Canadians are too mellow to care.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/4/2009 7:57:42 AM

Since it would appear Canadians all agree that their country is spineless and thus not a threat to would be totalitarians, it would seem they are doormat not just for bully neighbors but a welcome mat for terrorists as demonstrated by 9/11. To US citizens, Canada seems good place to go after potential terrorists before they make that last step from Canada to the US. When they can, US citizens go after terrorists and totalitarians where they come from before they come through Canada to attack.

I can't believe some are so stupid that they still believe this.

1)None of the 9/11 hijackers came through Canada.

Actually forget it, there is no "2". Canada is no easier to get into than the US. Why would anyone go through two customs clearances when they can just fly direct? And you don't go to Canada to get weapons - that's like going to Saudi Arabia for ice to bring to Greenland. Our weapons problems are all a result of living next to a nation that doesn't have any weapons controls.

And that's not even getting into the history of fighting totalitarians - Canadians were fighting Hitler for over 2 years before the US got involved, and only after Germany declared war on you.
 badge3939
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/4/2009 11:42:52 AM
That the way. He doing an illegal activity. You guys want him off.

Then lets go all the way here. Get rid of all the smoking bans everywhere.

Right smoking causes cancer. So does Marijuana. There is just not a big push on it.

Medical reasons that a good one. Do you realize how much less stress there is by smoking?

So if Marijuana reduces stress and is good for you. So is smoking.

Just because some Morman Surgeon general say it causes cancer. Laughs. Smoking is against the morman religion. So all this non smoking is a relgious Belief.

Damm The Catholics when the Pope came out against abortion.

It all caomes down to 1 fact. Everyone carries a cancer gene. Some get activated some don't. There are a lot of cancer causing agents out there. Not just cigarettes.
 eeeo4U
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2009 9:47:19 AM
I think somewhere before I mentioned the names of William Bishop, Donald Blakeslee and Robert Tryon Frederick as Canadian war heroes; Bishop was actually Canadian. Blakeslee served in the RCAF Eagle Squadron but came from Ohio, Frederick commanded the U.S./Canadian Special Service Force, the "Devil's Brigade", the first successful multinational force in history--there is a square named for him at Canadian military HQ but he was a West Point graduate from California and a fellow officer of Ronald Reagan's from the CA National Guard.
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2009 7:41:44 AM
If you wish to find the original use of the term "spineless", look to the OP. As I said the Canadians all seemed to agree that their government was spineless. Following posts from Canadians talked of their government not having the backbone to stop the US government from pursuing Canadians willfully breaking US laws while hiding behind Canadian borders.

Should a country be allowed to enforce laws broken within its own borders if that requires pursuit across open borders with its neighbors and with the knowledge and consent of that neighbor?

Should a thread poster here help Canadians find their nationalism "backbone" by tweaking their sensitivities? I think so.

By the way, a lot of Canadian military training is done in the US on US bases by US military. Do you think the US government should be worried that Canada might turn this on the US in some future invasion? As for the 911 terrorists entering the US through Canada, that appears to be a popular myth the media has not bothered to correct to the degree it should even though it was the media that spread the myth in the first place. Thanks for the correction. The myth continues to live on without such a correction.
 god_of_rock
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/11/2009 11:01:44 AM
Marc Emery is an egocentric a&&hole , IMO.

not that I agree with current pot laws, but he WANTED to get busted to get more publicity, it seems.

he calls HIMSELF "the Prince of Pot" and seems to think he is some kind of world-famous 'celebrity' or 'martyr' to the cause of free pot everywhere.

he made it personal, called the DEA , and named some i of its directors personally as "idiotic a-holes' , etc.

& he's "Surprised" they went after him ?

really, I don't feel sorry for him..publicity stunts to tweak the noses of law enforcement don't win you much in the real world..

I saw an article where he was bragging that he will become "the most famous person" anywhere, in any US prison. and he says he will force changes in US Prison policy because he is 'too famous for them to kill"

what a dolt.
 god_of_rock
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/12/2009 11:02:53 AM

PS marijuana seeds are a VERY nutritious food that has a long history of people eating them..

both sides of this debate lying is not going to help things out at all.

Emery was selling ten seeds (less than a gram) in weight for about $80

it is highly unlikely that anyone was buying them as "food", at prices higher than that for gold.

at that rate it would take probably at least $8,000 for a half-decent satisfying 'lunch'.

the ONLY reason people were buying these seeds was to grow the plant, harvest THC-containing buds, and get high, and/or sell them to others who wanted that.

maybe that shouldn't be a crime, but to throw some ridiculous BS like "people use the seeds for food" is just way out there.

and to say "marijuana is absolutely harmless" is more BS..it may not be as harmful as many abolitionists want to portray it, but it is not 100% 'harmless' either

it might help your cause better to stick to truth rather than to counter prohibitionist's lies and exaggerations with your own
 god_of_rock
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/12/2009 11:58:47 AM
as to the notion of "marijuana use is harmless" , check photos of Marc Emery at 50 years of age ..to me he look s at least 60, maybe 65 + ..wonder if heavy use of the weed contributed to that?

http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/files/images/5177-VanSunMarcEmery.jpg

http://thefreshscent.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/bc3.jpg
 god_of_rock
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/3/2010 11:58:13 AM
good riddance! :)

badge3939
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/3/2010 6:19:21 PM

What you said might actually make sense if Marc Emery had actually been deported.

At this point, he has not.

And it would be a travesty of *Real* Justice if he does get deported... though it will get the US DEA's panties in a knot.

To late he in jail now in the USA.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/marc-emery-settles-in-to-life-behind-bars/article1590059/
 lyingcheat
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2010 8:41:22 AM
The issue may well highlight the spinelessness (translation - pragmatic political expediency) of the Canadian government, but more so it highlights the global bully-boy antics of the American government.

It's bad enough, from the Canadian perspective, having a neighbour that's big and dumb with a self righteous arrogant streak a kilometer wide, but America seems to think it's everyones neighbour, unfortunately.
It'll almost be a relief when another neighbourhood kid gets big enough to put them in their place.
 The Ogre of POF
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/23/2010 11:48:14 AM
You know, the guy sold the means to grow an illegal substance inside of US borders and he knew it was illegal to sell it inside the US. He took a chance and he got busted on it and now he has to do 5 years for it. Big friggin' deal.

In the mean time, I see a bunch of Canadians sittin' at their keyboards playin' arm chair politician and arm chair attorney gripin' about how the US is so hard, so mean, so arrogant and what not. Okay, you guys feel that way, how about we solve the problem for you once and for all.

The US takes on a position of isolationalism and we close our border down 100%. We pull all of our troops out of whereever they are and position them all inside the United States, along our borders. Placing all of our Naval & Coast Guard boats along all of our coasts. This would include the Great lakes, tear down the bridges at places like Michigan, Buffalo, Niagara Falls and so on. We force all of our companies to bring the jobs home and refuse to import/export anything. We shoot to kill anyone who comes near our borders, whether it's a person, plane, boat, car or whatever. The US then defaults on all of it's foreign debt and begins to place illegal's in boats or whatever and forces them over the borders to other countries. Doesn't matter where we send them, we just force them to walk or swim or whatever. All real estate owned in the US and other property is forfeited and becomes ours. Your not a citizen, you own nothing and you have no rights so how can anyone steal from you?

Keep in mind, this means we ship off 12 million illegal immigrants to Canada and Mexico, we quit taking your oil & lumber, we pull all the jobs back and strip the factories of equipment, probably tear the buildings down and just leave a pile of rubble behind. Will this cause some damage to the US? Yes it will, but we both know that the true damage will be to the rest of the world, countries like Canada, Japan, China and msot of Europe who depend upon the United States to purchase their goods and provide our armed forces to help them maintain civil rest. But we'll let you guys up there in Canada do that.

I am so sick of all the prejudicism that comes out of Canada, Canadians sticking their noses into US Politics, US Policy and whining about every single thing that happens up there and blaming the United States for it. Here's a little piece of information for all the Canadians. We don't need you. There is NOTHING that Canada has that the United States can't do without or get from within it's own borders. Take a look ,we're on your South, East and West. What, you think we want your ice? NOT. Oil? We drill along the borders and it's ours, not that hard to do. The only reason we don't do it is to be nice to you. Canada has a severe deficiency in Oil Refineries and Lumber Mills. Most of the Canadian Oil & Lumber has to come to the US to be processed and then is shipped back. Enjoy the log cabins and burning crude oil, because that's what you'll have for quite a while.

Either grow a backbone as a nation or shut TFU and quit whining about US Policy. The vast majority of US Citizens know nothing about your government because we don't care what you do, we let you do whatever you want, so but out of our business and quit whining when one of you blatantly violates US Law. And keep in mind that Marc Emery did this for years and years, it was not just one or two little violations that he committed, but hundreds, if not thousands. The guy is getting off super easy.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2010 9:14:16 AM

You know, the guy sold the means to grow an illegal substance inside of US borders and he knew it was illegal to sell it inside the US. He took a chance and he got busted on it and now he has to do 5 years for it. Big friggin' deal.
In the mean time, I see a bunch of Canadians sittin' at their keyboards playin' arm chair politician and arm chair attorney gripin' about how the US is so hard, so mean, so arrogant and what not. Okay, you guys feel that way, how about we solve the problem for you once and for all.

I'm not Canadian.
Your reaction to criticism of the US is understandable, even laudable, but it's unproductive and misses the point. It's just an example of the extremist 'for us or against us' logic that so dismays the US's allies.

The US takes on a position of isolationalism and we close our border down 100%. /snip/ The US then defaults on all of it's foreign debt and begins to place illegal's in boats or whatever and forces them over the borders to other countries. Doesn't matter where we send them, we just force them to walk or swim or whatever.

Just because someone criticises the way the US plays in the sandbox is no reason to suggest taking your bucket and spade and going home... after punching everyone you don't like the look of, and then taking a dump just for good measure.

All real estate owned in the US and other property is forfeited and becomes ours. Your not a citizen, you own nothing and you have no rights so how can anyone steal from you?
This is a curious thing to say, because if non-citizens have no rights then clearly they have few obligations either. Which would strongly suggest non-resident non-citizens have no obligation at all to observe the laws of a country they aren't even resident in.

I am so sick of all the prejudicism that comes out of Canada, Canadians sticking their noses into US Politics, US Policy and whining about every single thing that happens up there and blaming the United States for it. /snip/
The vast majority of US Citizens know nothing about your government because we don't care what you do, we let you do whatever you want, so but out of our business and quit whining when one of you blatantly violates US Law.
Likewise this is an odd thing to say in the context of this thread.
You're sick of "Canadians sticking their noses into US Politics, US Policy..."? The thread is about an actual example of Americans sticking their noses into Canadian policy and politics. Even if you don't see the irony of your statement, you must surely appreciate how annoying it is to have people outside ones borders trying to interfere in domestic policy. Doesn't everyone have a right to be annoyed about that? And by "everyone" I don't mean "Americans". I mean, like... e v e r y o n e.
It's also odd that you say "we don't care what you do, we let you do whatever you want", when the thread is about a situation that makes that statement a lie. The person mentioned in the OP wasn't allowed to "do whatever (he) wanted" because, clearly, someone south of the border did care what he was doing.
I also think it's outrageous you carelessly justify what has happened to this individual by saying he "blatantly violat(ed) US Law", as if the fact that he isn't an American citizen and wasn't even in the US is of no consequence.

I don't want to pick a fight with you, I'd rather you opened your eyes, so consider the question from a different point of view.

Many nations are not particularly worried about cannabis seeds, but they are rather more concerned about access to guns. Canada and Mexico for example, two countries that share borders with the US, have much tighter gun control laws. Yet there is a river of firearms crossing both those borders...
Now imagine using serial numbers and other manufacturing data from guns illegally imported into those countries to track down the seller in America. Should the US surrender it's citizens to the judicial processes of Mexico and Canada whenever an American gun pops up in either of those two countries?
Bearing in mind that gun ownership in the US isn't illegal, but it is in Canada and Mexico. Therefore, has a crime been committed in those jurisdictions by the person who exported the gun?

Another example might be pornography. The US is a great manufacturing and exporting nation, as you pointed out, and one of it's exports is vast amounts of pornography.
Uh-Oh.... To possess, or even view, pornography is illegal in many countries.
What if someone, in one of those countries where porn is illegal, should happen to view a page hosted in America, containing pornographic material produced in America, starring Americans? It might be argued that they've been led into crime, or at least their entry has been facilitated, by a bunch of Americans.

Clearly, a criminal offence has been committed in that jurisdiction, but who exactly has committed it?
Should the US surrender its citizens to the judicial process in Indonesia or China to test that question, even though porn isn't illegal in the US?

It looks to me like an identical situation, only the product is different.
A product, legal in the originating jurisdiction, ends up in a jurisdiction where it isn't legal at all - who is culpable?
I'd say it's the buyer, since they were already in, and then brought the product into, the jurisdiction where the illegality occurred. It's not as if the product got there by itself, it needed the buyers effort to get it there, and up until then nothing illegal seems to have occurred.
 The Ogre of POF
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/24/2010 10:02:42 AM
1. The United States and Canada do in fact have extradition treaties. It happens all the time. Canada will simply refuse to deport if it's a capital punishment offense until the US agrees to NOT execute the offender. Okay, the US puts up with this. In reality, we could save money by not trying to extradite them and just wait for Canada to deport them on a Visa violation and pick 'em up at the border. Saves us the money of housing, prosecuting and executing them. I like this plan.

2. Marc Emery did a little more than accept orders for seeds. He publishes a magazine that offers these seeds for sale, in which he himself is the advertiser and distributor, he distributed this magazine with it's add for an illegal and controlled substance in the United States. The readers did NOT come to Canada to get the magazine.

3. He knowingly and willfully accepted the orders and the money, then knowingly & willfully shipped this product to an address in the United States.

Your comparison of porn is somewhat different. Yes, it is illegal in many countries and webmasters (reputable ones) do take steps to prevent it's distribution to said countries. However, with the use of Proxy servers and the leasing of IP's between countries it's impossible for a webmaster to always predict where a request for content is coming from. This is why we have splash pages, they have legal disclaimers on them and tell people to not view it if they are not legally permitted to.

Comparison of guns, if the gun is not a stolen gun and the registered owner knowingly sold it to individuals in a country where it is prohibited, then yes, they should be subject to extradition and prosecution in that country. The US regularly does extradite individuals who commit crimes in other countries to those countries or prosecutes them here.

In the end, Marc Emery was aware of the law, he snubbed his nose at the DEA and thought he could conduct a business of distributing those seeds and enabling others to cultivate them, harvest them and sell them when he had reasonable knowledge that it would be used for an illegal purpose. That in and of itself makes it a crime, the US asked Canada for him, Canada chose to arrest and turn him over for prosecution.

And yes, the buyers should also be arrested, which I'm sure is happening or has already happened.

And to help you out here, because you might not know this, POT is illegal in Canada also. Don't believe me? Grab 5 pounds, toss it in a bag and go hang out at the local Police Station passing out free joints, let me know how that goes for you.
 The Ogre of POF
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/24/2010 12:08:01 PM
Distribution and sale of seeds (may I assume your talking about Marijuana seeds?) in Canada is not illegal?

I would be to differ on this one madfiddler. From this article in a reputable news magazine that all those defending Emery love to quote I'm sure is this statement:

http://www.seattlepi.com/connelly/235421_joel05.html

And I quote:

Canada is moving toward decriminalizing marijuana possession. It still has on the books a law against sale of pot seeds, but police have not pursued Emery's seed selling by catalog or out of his Vancouver store.

Just because Canadian law enforcement has not pursued Emery's seed sellig does NOT make it legal in Canada. In fact, I'd be curious to see an investigation into the local law enforcement and government there where Emery lives and has his store. Seems to me, that in Canada, being a drug lord (which is what Emery is) is okay, just don't be the street pusher.

In the end, the seeds are part of the plant, the plant is a controlled substance along with everything that goes with it. Marc Emery knew this and chose to sell a part of the plant. Question: Where does Emery get the seeds? It would only be a natural conclusion that he is cultivating the plants and at least harvesting their seeds, which is illegal as that is marijuana possession in the minimum which is illegal in both Canada and the United States.

Now, that we have shown that marijuana and it's seeds are illegal in BOTH countries, there is in fact an extradition agreement between the United States and Canada, The United States did NOT just go up into Canada, arrest Marc Emery and drag him across the border in the veil of night, that the Canadian Government did in fact participate actively to ensure all of Marc Emery's rights under the Canadian Law we're in fact not violated, then what is the fuss?

He broke the law, he knew he was breaking the law, he intended to break the law and he willfully broke the law in two Countries. Just because the Canadian Government and Law Enfocement chose to not enforce it the United States chose to enforce it when he began distribution in the United States willfully and wantonly. This wasn't just one little accidental sale, the guy made millions off his activities and it's about time he got brought down. The really nice thing now, would be to see the Canadian Government step in, seize his house, cars, furnishings, bank accounts, store, inventory and magazine, stocks, bonds, mutual funds and anything else the guy has.

He got 5 years for his crap, that's nothing in comparison to what he has done.
 The Ogre of POF
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/24/2010 2:15:01 PM
Okay, fine. Let's ignore what he did on the Canadian side of the border and just look at the things he did on the United States border.

He employed the United States Postal Service, as a sub-contractor of the Canadian Postal Service (not sure what it's called in Canada), to distribute and deliver a magazine that contained within it the means in which to order via the United States Postal Service and consequently utilizing the Canadian Postal Service to receive the funds for this transaction.

In addition, he then, without full and complete disclosure, shipped these seeds (we can assume this because the US never would have knowingly accepted them otherwise) to addresses in the United States. This action is known as smuggling, as they we're not declared and sent in a package that did not disclose what they truly were, placed them into the hands of several individuals who most likely did not want anything to do with marijuana or it's seeds.

So, we have the Postal work in canada, the driver from there to the airport, the customs guy, the postal driver in the US, the sorting guy in the US, the truck driver who takes it to the final post office, the sorting guy there, the driver of the small mail truck who delivers it. All of these individuals are guilty at the time the seeds are in their possession of a crime. Just think about this. Even if they had gotten off, they still have to spend money to defend themselves because your "Hero" chose to make a profit and try to beat the system.

I say screw Marc Emery and I personally hope the guys in the US prison he's in teach him one heck of a lesson. Can we say... Marc, meet your new wife.
 The Ogre of POF
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/24/2010 4:34:05 PM
It could be Customs or it can be DEA since it's drugs. The choice of which government agency handles it is completely and totally up to the agencies themselves. Does it really matter if the local PD arrests you for something or the RCMP? In the end, the charges are the charges.

As far as saying under Bush this would happen but under Obama it wouldn't. Guess what, it may have started under Bush but it happened under Obama and that demonstrates that it would. If it wouldn't have, then Obama could/would have stopped it. In truth though, our President/Senators/Congressmen do NOT busy themselves with petty stuff like this. They have people who work for the government and it is their job to handle it as it has been.

Now, did it have the potential to affect the liberty (freedom) of someone? Yes, every person who transported those packages had the risk of going to jail. What Marc Emery did was stupid, he did it because of greed, he wanted the money from the sale of those seeds and he got it, now there is a price to pay and he's paying it. You may think the sentence is ridiculous, but here it seems to be not strong enough in the minds of many of us. How about 5 years for every single order he sold in the US. Now that would be justice in my book.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Canadian Marc Emery is going to US jail.