Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > peeping tom story/ justice system screwed up ( again)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 susan_cd
Msg: 1
peeping tom story/ justice system screwed up ( again)Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
For those that didn't see the story ( and the surveillance video) on the news, this is the Free Press' article:

TORONTO - A mother frustrated by a justice system that dropped criminal charges against an alleged peeping Tom in her neighbourhood received a startling apology Tuesday from Premier Dalton McGuinty.

Patricia Marshall, who lives with two daughters in St. Catharines, Ont., called police after she videotaped a neighbour allegedly peeking in her windows and masturbating.

The grainy nighttime video, which was shot by Marshall's surveillance camera and received wide play on local news stations, shows a young man looking into a window with his hand down his pants.

The police laid one charge of criminal harassment, but the Crown withdrew it before the case went to court, noting the man had begun therapy and was not a suspect in any other incident.

Marshall and her daughter Lindsay went to the legislature Monday to describe how unsafe they felt in their own home, which prompted the premier to offer an apology the next day.

The Crown "dropped the ball" with this case, McGuinty said Tuesday.

"Clearly this was not handled properly and they should have been notified by the Crown that the charges were going to be dropped," he said.

"And I apologize for that failure on the part of the Crown office."

McGuinty said he wants to send a message to all women that his government will do everything it can to protect them.

While the premier's interest is appreciated, it's not enough to make her and her daughters Courtney and Lindsay, aged 19 and 20, feel safe again, Marshall said in an interview.

"But I also feel it would have been nice to have heard him say that he was going to look into it further or see if there was anything he could do on his end," she said.

She would have preferred to see the young man receive treatment or ordered to stay away from her home, she said.

"We had just started to use our backyard again," Marshall said.

"When we found out that he was released, then we realized that the two times that we had actually sunbathed out there, he could have walked by."

Attorney General Chris Bentley didn't offer an apology of his own, saying the Crown prosecutor involved in the case was already "very apologetic" about not contacting Marshall.

Ministry policy dictates that the victim should be contacted before charges are dropped, he said.

But McGuinty's mea culpa just isn't going to cut it, said opposition critics.

There's nothing stopping police from laying charges again in this case, said the Progressive Conservatives.

"It sends a terrible message, the notion that this guy would get off the hook, that the attorney general seems uninterested in pursuing a case of this nature - where is the leadership in this province and who's going to stand up for families in these kinds of situations?" said Opposition Leader Tim Hudak.

Marshall and her daughter are "very courageous" to speak out about their case, said NDP Leader Andrea Horwath.

"Apologies are fine but what we need is a Crown attorney that's sensitive to the issues that this family faced," she said.

Marshall said she installed the camera in February after she noticed the imprint of a face on her bathroom window. Seven hours later, she handed over the tape to police, who made an arrest, she said.

The camera was positioned on the back corner of her property facing her daughter's bedroom window. Marshall said she installed two other dummy cameras on her property to deter anyone from looking into the bedroom or living room window.

Marshall said she has received a letter from the accused man's lawyer saying she had violated his privacy, and if she continued to do so, further action may be taken against her.

The lawyer whose name appeared on the letter, Margaret Hoy, was away from her Niagara Falls office and unavailable for comment Tuesday.

The lesson here is, if you're in the same situation as the victims & use a hidden camera to find out who the peeper is, don't waste your time going to the police & the legal system. Once you know who the perv is, keep a watch for him & when he returns play baseball with him... your bat, his head.
 peek~a~booo
Msg: 2
peeping tom story/ justice system screwed up ( again)
Posted: 9/30/2009 3:46:14 AM
i wonder if the police asked her what she was wearing....and you wonder why people give up on our legal system.....shakin oldhead! i agree eye adjustment with baseball bat....yup.

i think his face should be front page of every news paper in canada....lets identify him and let his PROUD family face the public since they forgot to check him into a bin....
 justwant2no
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/30/2009 6:17:15 AM

Marshall said she installed the camera in February after she noticed the imprint of a face on her bathroom window. Seven hours later, she handed over the tape to police, who made an arrest, she said.
The camera was positioned on the back corner of her property facing her daughter's bedroom window. Marshall said she installed two other dummy cameras on her property to deter anyone from looking into the bedroom or living room window.
Marshall said she has received a letter from the accused man's lawyer saying she had violated his privacy, and if she continued to do so, further action may be taken against her.

Let me get this straight - there was a FACE PRINT on her bathroom window? So she set up cameras directed at her OWN home? And that is an invasion of the accused's privacy?!! What a Fvcked up world we live in! That lawyer's mother must be so proud...
 peek~a~booo
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/30/2009 6:32:30 AM
I hopethe big pieces of cheese in the bar association understand their partin ethics of the legal system...........lets ask ourself why the association has credibility if they allow corruption like this within it's members.

if the legal system had any weight that lawyer needs to loose his licence and answer to his peers.........big falking time!!!

let licencing of these types of corrupt people be the traget of regret...let the judicial system explain their enable...dig them both out and do not let them find private anywhere in the public...let justice explain the disgusting way the legalsystem is manipulated to evil.

who was the brilliant judge.................something tells me your in heavy poopoo.
let the judge who allowed the event to slide find themself in the box of their own making...heavy cheesein this story kids...should be interesting to watch the FALL OUT to.

Belle Requin
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/30/2009 6:54:50 AM
Mom wants him to get treatment (which he was) and ordered to stay away from her house- which she never needed a crown attorney to do. That's why we have protection orders- which are INCREDIBLY easy to get.

Mom doesn't know sh!t and is whining because she never took the time to actually learn what her rights are, and she's blaming a crown attorney.

Grainy video does NOT equal proof of identity beyond a reasonable doubt. Would have needed more evidence than that- case would have been tossed out by a judge eventually.
 susan_cd
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/30/2009 7:58:32 AM

Mom wants him to get treatment (which he was) and ordered to stay away from her house- which she never needed a crown attorney to do. That's why we have protection orders- which are INCREDIBLY easy to get.

And those orders are incredibly easy to ignore..those orders didn't help that woman whose ex was a cop. The cop was issued restraining orders, was picked up by the police more than once for ignoring the orders and yet released on bail time & again until he fimally broke into the house & sexually assaulted his ex. The restraining orders didn't help her at all.

Grainy video does NOT equal proof of identity beyond a reasonable doubt. Would have needed more evidence than that- case would have been tossed out by a judge eventually.

Like I said, don't take the grainy video to the legal system, just use it to satisfy yourself about the perv being there & wait for him. Then when he does return, deal with the intruder yourself.

"Officer, this man was standing & peering into my daughter's window. I saw him there as I was taking this baseball bat to place in the garage. When he turned I thought he was going to attack me so I defended myself. No, I don't know what he was doing at the window; it appeared he was going to try to break in & possibly assault us; he had no reason to be there..."
 susan_cd
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/30/2009 8:05:16 AM
Meant to have this in my earlier post but got distracted.

That's why we have protection orders- which are INCREDIBLY easy to get.[/quote

Gee, why do we have any crime? There are laws making it illegal to steal cars, rob banks, assault people, murder people, etc etc. The laws & protection orders and restraining orders ( I'm not a lawyer, maybe a protection order IS a restraining order) don't do diddleysquat if anyone ( that is, crimnals) choose to ignore them.
 flyin-high
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2009 9:23:13 AM
Cops, lawyers, judges, cameras… Wouldn’t it have been easier to just close the curtains?

Of course, closing the curtains would mean that this woman would have no excitement in her otherwise very boring life, and she wouldn’t be getting the attention that she’s getting now… I guess the peeping neighbor just couldn’t satisfy her.
 susan_cd
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/30/2009 9:57:17 AM

Cops, lawyers, judges, cameras… Wouldn’t it have been easier to just close the curtains?

Have you seen the video? The yard looks huge ( the camera is facing out into the yard), so even with open curtains you would have to cross a good distance to see anything through the window, and at night with the lights off you couldn't even tell the curtains were open( if they were) until you entered the yard & got close

Of course, closing the curtains would mean that this woman would have no excitement in her otherwise very boring life, and she wouldn’t be getting the attention that she’s getting now… I guess the peeping neighbor just couldn’t satisfy her.

Flyin-high is true to form. It's the victim's fault, not the criminal's fault.

It's the victim's fault because they have a shiny new car they worked to buy & the poor car theif doesn't have a car so is forced to steal the car. it's the victim's fault they were raped by the rapist; the victim should have taken self defence courses so they could defend themself, or shouldn't look so pretty. It's the victim's fault their home was robbed--- they locked the doors & windows, so the pasing thief would naturally assume there was something in the house worth stealing when they checked to see if they were locked.
 susan_cd
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/30/2009 9:58:10 AM

Distracted? Why, was someone at the window?

No, I happened to remember I had to go wash my bat & do some laundry.
 flyin-high
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2009 10:30:46 AM

Have you seen the video?
No I haven’t, is there any footage of her 19 & 20 year old daughters in their bedrooms?
 Belle Requin
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/30/2009 3:13:07 PM
The crown did nothing wrong. NOTHING. The police should never have laid a criminal harassment charge, as there was NO BASIS for that charge whatsoever from what has been alleged.

So why is mom having the premier make an apology? McGuinty should be sued. It's bad form to diss your prosecutors, when you don't even know the law or how it works.
 susan_cd
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/30/2009 4:14:32 PM

The crown did nothing wrong. NOTHING. The police should never have laid a criminal harassment charge, as there was NO BASIS for that charge whatsoever from what has been alleged.

Alleged? I have seen the video; are you saying there's nothing illegal about sneaking into someones' backyard, going up to and peering into their windows at night, then after you're done removing your footprints from the snow ( it was taking place in the winter) before leaving? All this was on the video.

And if going up to & peering in someone's bedroom window at night isn't illegal I guess throwing a pot of boiling water out your wondow into your yard at night isn't illegal either. How were you to know some pervert had crept into your yard and was standing out there? Guess he shouldn't have been there.

Anyway I agree with you. As I said in the original post she shouldn''t have wasted time bothering the police & involving the legal system, she shoulda just dealt with it with a 2 x 4 or a bat.

BTW Captain Girly Girl,as you seem to think peering into people's bedroom windows at night isn't a problem, howzabout letting the people in PoF have your address? I'll provide the popcorn.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/30/2009 4:24:46 PM
If anyone can manage to climb all the way up to the 8th floor to peak, I don't care.

are you saying there's nothing illegal about sneaking into someones' backyard, going up to and peering into their windows at night, then after you're done removing your footprints from the snow ( it was taking place in the winter) before leaving
Did I say he did nothing wrong/illegal? No, I said he wasn't criminally harassing anyone. He could have been charged with trespassing at night- was he? No.

And if going up to & peering in someone's bedroom window at night isn't illegal I guess throwing a pot of boiling water out your wondow [sic] into your yard at night isn't illegal either. How were you to know some pervert had crept into your yard and was standing out there? Guess he shouldn't have been there.
It's not a criminal offence to throw water out of your house (though it's against my building's rules). As always, your problem is intent, which is hard to prove, but you seem to want to always harm someone...
 peek~a~booo
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/30/2009 4:33:01 PM
I am amazed they showed the guy jerkin off as he was covering up footprints.

too funny if he would have tripped and broken his arm.

told ya i agreed with the bat between the eye's untill there is blood dripping out of his eye's.................give that picture to his mommy and let her chain her spawn to her ankle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,roar....a 19 year old pervert has to be a badge of honor in a neibourhood with houses that big indeed.

susan_cd
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/30/2009 5:57:08 PM

As always, your problem is intent, which is hard to prove, but you seem to want to always harm someone...

Change your statement to " seem to want to always harm criminals that are commiting criminal acts against you" and I'll agree with you. From all appearances we can't count on the legal system to deal with the criminals.

If anyone can manage to climb all the way up to the 8th floor to peak, I don't care.

Is that a firm condition? What about moving down to your 8th floor window; rapelling is easy.
 susan_cd
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/30/2009 5:59:20 PM

Perhaps there were circumstances that the Crown felt it was not necessary to saddle this guy with a conviction and that his taking therapy was good enough to reduce whatever risk he posed.

That should have been left for the victim to decide.

Consider what would happen if it went to trial and the guy was convicted.

What would happen? A criminal would have a criminal record & may have been removed fromthe public for a while. So?
 printer2
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/30/2009 6:03:26 PM
I think the mother was at fault here. What is with the grainy video? Spend some real money and get some good images. Then put them on the internet, or even stream a feed live from her back yard. Just think of all the adoring fans her little peeper would have. Remember, voyeurs of a feather might just flock together. He may even see himself on his computer (although not live).
 flyin-high
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2009 8:42:42 PM

From all appearances we can't count on the legal system to deal with the criminals.
Your consistency and persistence is second to none… now if you could only put that stubbornness to good instead of evil.

susan_cd
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/30/2009 8:51:32 PM

Your consistency and persistence is second to none… now if you could only put that stubbornness to good instead of evil.

Yeah I am stubborn about wanting criminals to be punished. Why do you think punishing someone for a criminal action is evil?

You're just as consistent & stubborn in the opposite extreme.
 flyin-high
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2009 9:31:19 PM
The only thing we disagree on is the definition of the word criminal

I prefer the legal definition of the word, as recognized by various courts across Canada. Whereas you prefer the fascist, Nazi, Quaker, puritan definition… ya know… burn the witch first and ask questions later.

Do you realize that you’ve managed to make 5 posts in a row without mentioning car thieves… I think you’re getting soft.
 susan_cd
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/30/2009 9:43:22 PM
{quote]burn the witch first and ask questions later.

Doesn't have to be a witch, can be a christiam,atheist, agnopstic or muslim... if they're breaking th elaw they're criminals & deserve to be punished. The severity or what punishment should be is debatable; but if the legal system won't deal wiht the criminals then we ascitizens are forced to deal with them & I don't have a penal system in my house ( well,I have a dungeon but that's a whole other story ) so I'm unable to take prisoner & must punish them some other way.

Now excuse me while I go watch "Judge Dredd "
 Belle Requin
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/1/2009 7:03:21 AM

That should have been left for the victim to decide.
No, it shouldn't have been. The mother knows nothing of the law, and is biased, and I think she's crazy. She is in no place whatsoever to determine how a criminal charge should be handled. We have judges who are to be "independent unbiased third parties" for a reason.
 peek~a~booo
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/1/2009 7:40:56 AM
so leaving a paper trail of this man's conduct on his file will not happen because he is in therapy....good keep him there and chain him into an institutuon because he is a clear risk to anyone in the public if he is jackin off outside some kids window....

when do we pretend that is not a call for help and disallow the public safety and sexual preditors in training......what a big pile of bird chit to allow this human freedom is enabling crimes to inocents which is within treatment...falk that

clear public risk and chain him to his doctor so he can jack off behind closed doors for goodness sakes....how can you pretend the law has a place if it looks for Q without evolving with human's and sticking to the wheel of time.

the legal system is a joke from the past living in todays world of perverts on every freeking corner.

the family should sue the doctor treatin him.....leave a clear mark on his file to proove he has his proffessional part in this disgusting story.let the mental health act evolve to place risk sooner into care already...before he does progress to a convict...shakin old head.

ya wonder why we have pervs on every corner....the mental health act allows no disclosure to valid connect in safety.

scrapes heels on entire pile of idiots who think this is not a decon of the decay of people looking after there own spawn after they max out in age....let his parents commit there lovely childadult who can't figure out touching yourself outside someones window is ok.let them esplain why their kid is not in a bin without a door...

if you keep your adult child you will be the one facing conduct or place him where the garantee to society is not in question...

if its not legal, its medical; change the law to address the whole in that connection between medical and legal to assume the rights of freedom from the public and implementing safety to sleep without fear.
why do the medical doctors get to walk away from there decisions without effect...you want outpatient treatment for people like this instead of employing people in the legal system. plain and simple kids.
why wait till there is a trail of victims longer than the lists of pervs.

baseball bat..........yup let mommy understand her child is baked and needs to go to a new place where adults can slap his errection and teach him not to be a pig.
 susan_cd
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/1/2009 9:08:14 AM

No, it shouldn't have been. The mother knows nothing of the law, and is biased, and I think she's crazy

Yeah I guess having a pervert looking in your daughter's window might make you alittle biased.

You think she's crazy? I guess you think there's nothing wrong with some guy looking in a woman's daughter's bedroom at night then.... you saying she should encourage thatsort of thing to show she's sane?

She is in no place whatsoever to determine how a criminal charge should be handled.

If there was a law broken in this instance, and she is the victim, why the he ll shouldn't she be asked if she's OK with the charges being dropped? I agree she may not know what he can be charged with, but if he can be charged the victim should definitely have a role in the process. Now the perverted little bassturd won't have acriminalrecord for his actions, great.

As usual, the system works to protect the criminal, not law abiding citizens.

I'm tninking, since he isn't being charged, and his age means the YCJA isn't a facxtor, I guess the woman can use the video toprint up a few hindred pictures of the guy & plaster themall over the neighborhood to let others know he's around ( that might protect some law abiding citizens, since they are atthe bottom of th elist in the legal system).

It wouldn't be libel since the video was shot on her property, and she can make sure the notices are worded in a way that states clearly what the video shows, and doesn't make assumptions or speculations.

Maybe something along the lines of "This is th eguy living in this neighborhood that was looking in my daughter's window late at night (after sneaking into our yard) and keeping 1 hand under hispants in his crotch. This second shot shows him eradicating his footprints from the snow... guess he was aware that what he was doing was wrong... video avalable for viewing at www. etc etc"
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > peeping tom story/ justice system screwed up ( again)