Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > NASA Bombing The Moon, Oct 9th      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 desertrhino
Msg: 2
view profile
History
NASA Bombing The Moon, Oct 9thPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts12570297.aspx

I just don't know about this..... it concerns me.

A step in the wrong direction ? Potential hazard ? Slippery slope ?

I point to your posting: "similar-size objects hit the moon several times per month"

Do you have another concern that we're not understanding?
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 5
NASA Bombing The Moon, Oct 9th
Posted: 10/8/2009 5:13:03 PM
There is a BIG difference between "bombing" and "crashing". If they were bombing the moon, there would be some form of large detonation using explosives. They are crashing the probe into the surface, like many similar size meteorites, to stir up dust to observe if there is water and other compounds in the dust that is sent up. This is harmless, it's not a military weapon, they are just getting one last use out of a probe that has done its job and has no more use.
 normaldude
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2009 6:24:26 PM
they have crashed gear into the moon before, early probes did this sometimes on purpose and sometimes not. This is not a conspiracy!!! remain calm!!!! dont panic!!!!! the world wont end!!!!! dont drink the cool=aid!!!!!
 stargazer1000
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/8/2009 6:53:03 PM

A step in the wrong direction ? Potential hazard ? Slippery slope ?

No, no and no. Also, not unprecedented. In addition to about half a dozen or so intentional probe crashes, there's this.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/lroc_20090929_apollo14sivb.html

They're firing a .22 at Everest.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2009 7:29:10 PM

The 'slippery slope' aspect I think is what concerns me the most.
We're already on the slippery slope with fossil fuels. Trying to expect that to change with the moon, is just fighting the tide. That ship has already sailed.

I just hope there aren't any Moon men who might get angry at us for shooting at their planet, and decide to shoot back.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/8/2009 8:34:21 PM
Balance? Compare how much was spent on the war in Iraq and Afghanistan over how much was spent on space exploration in the same period.

Yeah, not really much of a balance at all.
 Roccocogirl
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/8/2009 8:47:55 PM
I like your idea about the water balloon farceur.
 susan_cd
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/8/2009 11:20:16 PM

If the moon gets blown out of orbit, we're all dead.

I heard this was supposed to happen to the moon back in 1999 ( September 13th if I recall corectly).

And I doubt we're all dead if this happens... unless the moon gets blown into Earth.
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/9/2009 2:32:21 AM
Sorry but I don't see the slope at all. You can use the your argument against going to the moon in the first place or even going into space. My point it's an irrational fear because you can use that reasoning for almost anything.

NASA has done a great deal of work in space exploration with outcomes and advancements that many of us enjoy today. So just put the U.S. fear mongering on the back burner.

On a side note. It is easy to criticize the U.S. using Einsteins work for evil decades after the fact and desperation.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/9/2009 3:45:01 AM

If the moon gets blown out of orbit, we're all dead.

Space 1999 was very entertaining but it wasn't a documentary. Imagine a .22 bullet hitting Everest.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/9/2009 4:49:10 AM

Especially if there's any chance that experiments like these may turn out the discovery of resources that have the potential for profitability.

Uuummmm....profitability? Surely you've considered just how hard it would be to make a "profit" off the moon at this point. I suspect Cabeus would have to be made of solid gold and platinum to be even remotely worth trucking tons of equipment out of Earth's gravity well and across 320,000 kms of space to start extraction.
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 7:07:46 AM

Surely you've considered just how hard it would be to make a "profit" off the moon at this point.

If Helium3 can deliver its promise of fusion power, profit looks possible. My own calculations indicate 2200# of the stuff per year assuming current day power plant and distribution efficiencies could supply ALL of man kind's energy needs including forseeable growth. The head of the Chinese space program lunar project estimates three return shuttle flights per year so I don't think the concept is unreasonable.

I haven't seen any pictures of the impact and what was on morning TV was dissappointing. I did get a chip in my windshield this morning so I'm wondering if NASA missed.

Cutbacks? I don't mind the cutbacks if they are in the right place. My last visit to NASA was before Disney took over all the visitor PR. I toured empty labs but saw the construction of large office buildings to house the growing numbers of bureaucrats. Why all the construction when the space program was a shell of it's moon mission self? It appears to me that NASA, like any government program over time, becomes a haven for bureaucrats to feed off tax payers. The mission becomes creating or exaggerating sensational fears as fear tends to open the public coffers through he political system.
 Verzen
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/9/2009 7:10:32 AM
Nasa is bombing the moon on my birthday!
 susan_cd
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/9/2009 8:46:06 AM

Never put it past a US run agency to take a good thing (like the advancement of science) and turn it into a bad thing (Einstein, atom bomb - ring a bell ?).

? ? Einstein is a bad thing (person)? How do you figure that?

Especially if there's any chance that experiments like these may turn out the discovery of resources that have the potential for profitability. Which could be a possibility should they find more than water particles.

And profitability is bad ????

If only NASA could get themselves off of the government nipple.....

So being funded by the govt. is bad, but if they find a way to be profitable then that's wrong???
 desertrhino
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 10:05:26 AM

If Helium3 can deliver its promise of fusion power, profit looks possible. My own calculations indicate 2200# of the stuff per year assuming current day power plant and distribution efficiencies could supply ALL of man kind's energy needs including forseeable growth. The head of the Chinese space program lunar project estimates three return shuttle flights per year so I don't think the concept is unreasonable.

You've said this before. The only problem is that you're using vaporware in your alleged calculations. No such power plant exists.

I can calculate that by throwing rocks at the Earth from the Moon, the captured energy from the rocks, using Kinetic Energy Entrapment Technologies, can be used to launch space shuttles to orbit with a 2 tons of rock per 1 ton of shuttle lifted to orbit. You know, assuming a 50% efficiency of capture.

Unless, of course, you can show us a commercially feasible He-3 reactor.
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 26
Posted: 10/9/2009 12:23:42 PM
AncientMuse:

People can't help but try to read between the lines with your posts right back to the OP. Your reasoning is vague with a lot of hinting towards this is a slippery slope such. Which is trying to build a mountain out of a mole hill in itself.

NASA's programs depend on government funding, need I say more ?

So what? A lot of organizations depend on government funding, charities, school, etc. So should we start questioning them as well? I'm not going to state that the U.S. government is pure and innocent, what government can claim that status? However, I just don't see your point. Just because it depends on government, doesn't mean it's bad or the government is looking for something new and evil to play with.

And yes, as a matter of a fact.... it IS easy to criticize the US government for taking a scientist's work and utilizing it to their own political agenda decades after the fact, not unlike many other country's governments that stepped in and snapped up scientist's discoveries...... so your point is...... ?

We are getting off topic with this but I'll try to keep it brief.

My point was that it is easy to critique the actions of past governments in a time where were were not around. Yes, the government based atomic developments on Einsteins work. I'll give you that. However, you completely ignore the history and context that it was based on. If you look into the context and history around it, your point could be used against your own arguement.

This is not the place for a WWII debate though.
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 3:02:31 PM

The only problem is that you're using vaporware in your alleged calculations. No such power plant exists.

Note the first line: If Helium3 can deliver its promise...
The calculations were based on an average steam power plant efficiency of 35% although some are over 45%. The distribution network assumes to be about 80% again based on the existing distribution network. The calculations of energy released were based on the fusion reaction physics. Some of the research currently being done is aimed at using MHD technology where the plasma temperatures themslves are the basis of the thermal engine further raising the Carnot efficiency limits yet not precluding steam to recover the waste heat energy from that step. Although MHD generators have been built, fueling them is not practicle with air breathing chemical burners.

As for Kinetic Energy Entrapment Technologies, I suppose there are such devices but on a scale of capturing rocks falling at 17,000MPH in the upper atmosphere.
 desertrhino
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 3:55:18 PM

As for Kinetic Energy Entrapment Technologies, I suppose there are such devices but on a scale of capturing rocks falling at 17,000MPH in the upper atmosphere.

Both the He-3 reactor and Kinetic Energy Entrapment are just missing some technical/engineering details. Speculation based on non-existent technology is pointless.
 susan_cd
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/9/2009 8:34:12 PM
So we have proven that we cannot control ourselves and damage earth, so now were going to try and get on another planet to pillage and ultimately damage it.

Well, firstly the Moon isn't another planet. Secondly, damage what? There's no ecology on the Moon; are you worried about rocks & dust being disturbed? And pillage from who???

pillage [pil-ij]
–verb (used with object)
1. to strip ruthlessly of money or goods by open violence, as in war; plunder: The barbarians pillaged every conquered city.
2. to take as booty.
–verb (used without object)
3. to rob with open violence; take booty: Soldiers roamed the countryside, pillaging and killing.
–noun
4. the act of plundering, esp. in war.
5. booty or spoil.

Heck, if the Moon is rich in minerals & ores we want, how much better for Earth's ecology if we moved all our mining to the Moon & just shipped the finished product to Earth.

The human race is a cancer and wouldn't blame any space inhabitant for destroying us.

Well, I wouldn't worry about any space inhabitants from the Moon. If the human race is a cancer, I guess that'd make individual humans tumors.... does this mean you're volunteering ( as a tumorous growth) to remove yourself ?
 jesser83
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/10/2009 9:57:33 AM

There are far better uses for the money here on earth.

Possibly, but I think it would be a little off the wall for NASA to work on humanitarian, or community improvement projects as a space agency. I think it is fitting for NASA to spend its money on space research, that is after all, why it exists and the purpose of the reason it receives funding.

The atmosphere of the moon is now 99% exhaust fumes, thanks to the NASA rockets, moon landers etc.

Luckily for the non-existent moon ecology, the moon doesnt have enough gravity to sustain much atmosphere. So out of the 3 or 4 atoms of atmosphere per square inch, equaling maybe a cubic foot of atmosphere on the earth, 99% is about the carbon footprint of a burnt match. Not that it matters since rocket fuel turns into water when you burn it.
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/10/2009 3:20:56 PM
Ravensworth...

There are far better uses for the money here on earth.

The current (FY2008) NASA budget is 17 billion dollars per year. That's less than three dollars for every person on the planet. What kind of 'good' are you expecting such a pittance to do?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/10/2009 5:13:49 PM

Cool so the water they find is prob created by NASA :)

Um, no, not really.
 susan_cd
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/10/2009 5:22:42 PM

Not wanting to cause an "international" incident - but since when did the moon become the property of the US for NASA to do what it wanted with it?

Well, any other nation that wants to crash probes or land on the Moon is free to do so.
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/10/2009 5:31:23 PM

Not wanting to cause an "international" incident - but since when did the moon become the property of the US for NASA to do what it wanted with it?

Short answer - it's NOT.

The Japanese, Indians, Russians, have also sent probes to the Moon - and the Chinese are planning manned trips.

Any nation willing to invest in the technology is free to follow suit...
 stargazer1000
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/10/2009 5:47:35 PM

Well, any other nation that wants to crash probes or land on the Moon is free to do so.

And has.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandrayaan-1
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > NASA Bombing The Moon, Oct 9th