Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > To give or not to give your name in the first message...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hxm82
Msg: 1
To give or not to give your name in the first message...Page 1 of 1    
How are you all,

Does it help or does it hurt to give your first name, real name not screen, in that first message you compose to that person that really catches your interest???

hxm82
 ReBluez
Msg: 2
To give or not to give your name in the first message...
Posted: 10/8/2009 7:15:47 PM
It's whatever you're comfortable with doing. While it does show a semblance of trust, it might also be thought of as too much information so quickly. Six of one, half dozen of another... you choose.

Bluez
 JWG86
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/8/2009 7:29:52 PM
My name is in my profile, dang. Jon. Happy? This is rediculous.
 SoftAndHappy
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/8/2009 7:33:28 PM
First name? Jeez... yeah, that's not a problem. It's kind of nice, actually. When you meet someone on the street - how do you introduce yourself? Do you shy away from giving your first name? I really wouldn't sweat that.
 daynadaze
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2009 11:29:40 PM
Depends, some people assume (and I understand why) that my name is Dayna, it's not, it's Shannon. When I tried 1000 different way to use Shannon they were always taken, so I like the name Dayna and stuck daze on the end of it, and guess what, it went through. Oh well. I figure if I just let someone keep calling me Dayna they may get the idea they are being tricked, so I tell them my real name after a few emails.
 Krebby2001
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 12:56:55 AM
OP
I don't think that it's a big deal at all. I meet people in public all the time, and not only do I feel free to give them my name, many times, if they're interested, I also give them my business card. Giving your name out does not mean that they will immediately assume your identity and empty out your bank account. Especially if you're in a public service profession, giving your name out is not likely to result in anything risky, especially just a first name, unless your first name is Osama or something.
 readyfornow
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 2:24:45 PM
I don't think it makes any difference at all.
 Connor-19
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/9/2009 4:42:31 PM
Anyone who lets random people know what their name is right off the bat is pretty stupid, and probably never gets any messages.
 Landra2
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 4:55:28 PM
Mine is already given:
Landra
If someone can't even tell me their first name-- wth??
 monalee1
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/9/2009 5:02:58 PM
hi.. I am ok with people knowing my name... blessings
 r90sboxer
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 6:13:53 PM

Anyone who lets random people know what their name is right off the bat is pretty stupid, and probably never gets any messages.

In my work...hundreds of people find out my name,first and last......random meetings with people that may never occur again..........
Please try and defend the position that this is somehow "stupid".
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 6:24:58 PM
I lose interest pretty quickly when men don't divulge their first names by the second email or so. I've even had people suggest a meeting without disclosing their first name. I guess they think I'm apt to empty their bank account based on that information alone, which seems pretty paranoid or suspicious.

Offering up your first name suggests that you are open and approachable.
 Connor-19
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/9/2009 6:25:58 PM
R90s check out my screen name.
 FL CO
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 7:17:34 PM
Yep, I figure introducing myself is the better way to go. I've already contacted some people search sites to have my name removed due to my job, but if someone wants to google me go ahead.
 r90sboxer
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2009 7:34:34 AM

R90s check out my screen name.

OK....I did.......and......?
Can you defend your statement?
Remember...this is the "internet".......it would not be too difficult for you to be a 300lb transvestite who goes by "Trinity" but real name is George.Proves little to nothing.......
 Connor-19
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/10/2009 8:50:17 AM
I guess I should of put a "... wait" at the end of my first message to convey the joke I was trying to imply.

Connor would be my real name. So when I said people are stupid when they do that and they don't get any messages when they do that...it was basically poking fun at myself.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2009 9:51:15 AM
If I don't give my first name in a message, it's an oversight and I correct that as soon as possible. And the people I speak to off the site also know my last name and from that they can get a plethora of information about me as to the best of my knowledge, there is no one that shares my name. At least not that anyone has come across...

Let's face it folks, if you're going to communicate with people on here, do you really want to go on and on referring to them as Bluez or any other s/n that people think up of... though some are quite ingenious...
 Shuffle_Dragon
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/10/2009 11:45:29 AM
it's really up to you on how comfortable you are with it.
IMO, it doesn't hurt but it also doesn't help either.
 minako79
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/10/2009 12:58:06 PM
i prefer giving out my real name or number within 2 or 3 emails at least.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > To give or not to give your name in the first message...