Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > "The Office"...Sad TV show...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WantaSmart1
Msg: 1
view profile
History
"The Office"...Sad TV show...Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
After months of pre-promotion of coming twice-nightly shows each weeknight, I just endured my first (and likely last at any price) two episodes. This is about as entertaining as going to your nearest state Human Services office and sitting there expecting to be entertained. There are no outstanding characters or actors in the show. Everyone seems bored to be there (I mean the actors, not just the characters they portray), the scripts are mundane and not funny in the least.

The thing comes off as a bunch of actors dressed up to look like office workers, pretending to live the life of typical office workers, but not quite pulling it off. I've endured a cumulative few hours of ads (10-plus per day, at least two per hour) preceding the moving of this show to a local channel.

Are there any fans here? If so...why? What's the attraction? The thing is in its "sixth season" (since 2005?? Not sure how their math works).
 daynadaze
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The Office...Sad TV show...
Posted: 10/8/2009 11:25:44 PM
I don't seek it out to watch, but my oldest daughter watches it all the time, and when I watch it with her, I
 luv_forums
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/9/2009 1:11:15 AM
I presume you're referring to the US version of The Office starring Steve Carrell etc? Not the UK version? They only air the US version here, and it sucks balls IMO.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 3:21:43 AM
They show the UK version on BBC America if anyone gets that channel. I like the U.S. version a little better maybe it's because that' i'm not used to UK humor or the enviroment work place over there compared to here in the U.S. I'm sure people in the UK feel the same about the U.S. version.
 Write Time
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 3:28:13 AM
I'm a fan.

Started out watching the UK show on DVD a few years ago, and I immediately became a fan of series creator Ricky Gervais.

I was a little slower to warm up to the US version, just because I was used to the UK actors in similar roles. But eventually I did grow to like the cast, characters and storylines, and ... well, I like the show for all the reasons you don't. I find it to be a good ensemble cast, they've pieced together some funny storylines, and it's one of the very few shows (like, two) that I make an effort to follow.

Different strokes, that's all.
 Vancer
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/9/2009 4:01:06 AM

Started out watching the UK show on DVD a few years ago, and I immediately became a fan of series creator Ricky Gervais.

I like the UK version simply because of Ricky!
He is very entertaining to watch and listen to. I like the show Extras as well.
 WantaSmart1
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 5:00:34 AM
I might try hunting down the UK version. They used to air a bunch of British comedies on PBS on Saturday nights and that's what I'd be watching. (Except the Black Adder, that is.)

I'm wondering if the US version seems to be commercially successful here because all the office workers fantasize about pulling the stunts these guys were on the show. You know...like maybe watching the show might be as close to actual revenge against office politics as many of them will ever get or something. Or I just caught the absolute worst two episodes they made - though somehow I doubt that.

(Did we bomb the moon yet?)
 divagreen
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/9/2009 5:29:50 AM
I might try hunting down the UK version. They used to air a bunch of British comedies on PBS on Saturday nights and that's what I'd be watching. (Except the Black Adder, that is.)

What's wrong with "The Black Adder"?

I liked the first couple of seasons of the "The Office". It portrayed a certain social awkwardness, in an understated caricature form, that had a certain realism to it. I have not watched the more recent episodes, I only catch them here and there, and I imagine it has changed over time.

Within television, and I might be mistaken here, I think a season occurs bi-annually, although sometimes annually, depending on what cycle the television series is in.

(Did we bomb the moon yet?)

I think, it scheduled to take place Oct. 9...
 Alli_oop
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/9/2009 8:46:22 AM
I missed most of season 5 but I've seen this season so far and i watched last night's first of pam and jim's wedding.
haha. michael.
 itechman63
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 9:14:49 AM
OP, do you work in an office? This mundane mood that you catch is actually the result of good writing and acting in that the fact is that in most office environments such as the one on the show most of the workers DON'T want to be there.

If you aren't sitting in your office or cubicle right now with other unhappy and uninspired co-workers all wishing they were somewhere else, then you aren't going to get the show. Now I'm off to my weekly Leadership meeting in the conference room.
 Frau Blücher
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/9/2009 10:18:54 AM
As with any show, it takes time for the characters to “find themselves” and for things to gel and come together (the first season of “Seinfeld” was weak, too). Did you really expect to “get it” just from watching the first two episodes? Additionally, comedy is an exaggeration of the truth. Perhaps you didn’t find it funny, because you could not relate to the situations and characters? Perhaps you do not like the “mockumentary” style in which it is filmed? That can bother some people. I really enjoy that faux Cinéma vérité style; “Curb Your Enthusiam” is another great show that employs it. In any case, I think “The Office” is a hoot; Dwight Schrute alone is worth the price of admission.

Diff strokes, Willis; diff strokes.
 p_pie
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/9/2009 12:40:21 PM
I am a huge fan. The first time I watched, I admit I too did not find it funny. It took me a couple of episodes to get the humor...now it's my favorite show. Ok the truth is I'm addicted to it. I don't even have cable TV, but I do watch The Office as soon as a new episode comes out online or I watch them on Netflix.

I suggest you watch a few more episodes. I'm glad I did. And Frau is right. Dwight Schrute is a riot. Try Season 5 Episode 14 Stress Relief. It actually has some action.
 itechman63
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 1:45:11 PM
Arrested Development was another TV show that while you could gain some chuckles immediately in the jokes that occured but if you stuck with it you were rewarded with running gags and jokes that were setup even two seasons earlier.

If you were an AD watcher from the beginning, could there have been a funnier gag than when we learned that one of Andy Richter's quintuplet brothers was named Chereth? You had to see the entire body of work that was that series to have really appreciated that.
 Alli_oop
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/9/2009 1:53:40 PM
hows this for crazy...i didn't care for Seinfeld when it started. I've now realized the error of my ways.
 readyfornow
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 2:41:10 PM
Although I like the show, I must admit it took a couple of episodes for me to "get into it". It shows how funny the workplace can be day after day with all the peculiarities most people exhibit. There have been a lot of shows that have done the same thing; Car 54, Barney Miller, Taxi and Cheers, to name just a few.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/9/2009 3:01:18 PM
It doesn't appeal to me.
I've spent my entire life avoiding any hours (9 - 5) in an office.
Now Cheers - that was a different story.

arwen52
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 4:03:50 PM
I rarely watch TV. I saw it over at a friend's house on Wed. evening and thought it was funny. I like the mockumentary format. However, I won't start turning my TV on just for that.

However, given a choice between that and most of what's on TV, I'd pick that over the so-called "Reality" shows that are so popular. Now there's something I really don't understand. I saw "Hell's Kitchen" for the first time recently. (I've had to stay off my feet and I've watched a few hours of TV as a result.) I can't for the life of me why someone would compete for the opportunity to work with a spoiled, tantrum-throwing chef who humiliates you and I can't understand why people watch. Do people really think this is okay?

I dunno. Compared to all that, I think The Office is pretty funny.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/9/2009 5:28:55 PM

I can't for the life of me why someone would compete for the opportunity to work with a spoiled, tantrum-throwing chef who humiliates you

It's simple - they will put up with anything for their 15 minutes of fame, and the fortune that they expect to get from it.

and I can't understand why people watch.

The same reason that people slow down to gape at car accidents.*

(*I don't use the expression "watching a train wreck" because my late hubby was a locomotive engineer, and had friends who died in train wrecks.)

Re the OP - I loved the UK version. The US version is funny too, but I never have time to watch.
 where4
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/10/2009 1:26:28 AM
msg. 15:
hows this for crazy...i didn't care for Seinfeld when it started. I've now realized the error of my ways.

I could have written that! I only started watching it in reruns.

I love The Office! I hope someday I'll get to see the original from UK. There's so little worth watching on commercial tv. It's refreshing to come across a show as well-written as The Office is. Jim and Pam are just kind of regular likable people who've been lucky enough to find each other to love in a mundane workaday world. Michael's such a goofball but his neediness begs compassion. I enjoy every one of the characters on the show. Oh man, Dwight... What a piece o' work! Angela and that stick up her butt! Kelly! Stanley! I laugh!!!

Despite the hype, the wedding wasn't the best episode to start with, OP. I suggest you try a few more episodes when they're back on the job in The Office.
 StillUnraveling
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/10/2009 4:30:03 AM
Everyone has different tastes ... not better or worse ... just different. I hated the Seinfeld show ... thought the Office trying too hard ... found Boston Legal hysterical. Oh well.
 where4
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/10/2009 5:37:45 AM
Gawd! I just recently discovered Boston Legal reruns on the weekend latenights! Never saw that show before, either. I find my prudish self offended at all the ridiculous sex but can't help laughing anyway!
 yna6
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/22/2009 6:54:05 PM
Take a bunch of friends to a gov't office, set up a coulpe rows of chairs and just sit and watch! Take popcorn and soft drinks! Live entertainment! Free! With about as many laughs and drama as on the show!
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/22/2009 8:57:56 PM
I like it because it's understated funny, although sometimes it's sad funny. I know some of those characters from my own office. I love the way some of the characters ham at the camera, while others just do their evil deeds without even NOTICING the camera (Dwight). I just saw the episode about "Pretzel Day"--lol. Just as in MY office, people get WAY too excited about free food.
 lilempathy77
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/4/2010 12:36:35 PM
The Office is the best show on television. Never miss an episode and I have all the seasons on DVD.
 itsmeaaron
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2010 1:15:34 PM
i like "the office", although it can be hit or miss.
same goes for that show "its always sunny in philadelphia"
but I think that the office ripped off of the movie "office space" which is alot funnier in my opinion.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > "The Office"...Sad TV show...