Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > "Bad running shoe, bad." And an idea....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 89*4L
Msg: 1
"Bad running shoe, bad." And an idea....Page 1 of 1    
How many people have purchased bad running shoes? Did they cause foot pain or body discomfort as a result of using them on your runs?

My experience: My current pair of running shoes have caused pain in my left foots outer arch. Now the shoes might not be the sole source of the problem but they are at least partially to blame. The pain is midfoot and directly coming from the metatarsals where my arch is. On examination of my shoes the center of the arch support is pushed way back in the shoe, closer to my heel. It did not become noticeable until I broke the shoes in. So that leads me to the store to buy another pair. Using the foot measure I measured a 10 D with a normal arch. So I pull out an expensive pair of running shoes that was a 10 D. I put the shoe on and it feels nice but slightly tight on the medial sides of the shoe. I pull out the sole of the shoe and put it up to my foot. The length was good, and it appeared the arch was in the right place but my foot overlapped the medial sides of the sole by half a centimeter. So I look for a 10 E. The order 10 D, E, 2E, 3E is from narrowest to widest. There was no E or 2E. There was a 3E however. I tried that pair on but it felt to wide. I took the sole of the shoe out and held it against my foot. It was the same width. I then compared the soles of the 10 3E to the soles of the 10 D. The 10 3E was noticeably wider obviously but it was also noticeably longer. Now I thought this shoe companies production was flawed in measuring. SO I had an idea. Shoe factories in China, the US and every else in the world are producing shoes for people they have never even met. Because no two bodies are the same, and peoples feet are like snowflakes. There are supposedly no two identical snowflakes. What If, and this is a what if that would have to be backed up by people who have the desire and resources (money). Someone or people created a business that was based on the concept of "Build a Bear" but for building your own running shoes. People could come into the store and customize their shoes to precisely fit their feet and perform optimally. There could be different "build your shoes" sections in the store. Ones for dress shoes, basketball shoes, casual shoes, etc... The place would have to be big though, for all the materials and machines. Almost like a warehouse. But if it created a superior product that everyone deemed to be superior quality everyone would go to "build your shoes".
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 2
Bad running shoe, bad. And an idea....
Posted: 10/9/2009 5:39:44 PM

I took the sole of the shoe out and held it against my foot. It was the same width. I then compared the soles of the 10 3E to the soles of the 10 D. The 10 3E was noticeably wider obviously but it was also noticeably longer. Now I thought this shoe companies production was flawed in measuring. SO I had an idea. Shoe factories in China, the US and every else in the world are producing shoes for people they have never even met. Because no two bodies are the same, and peoples feet are like snowflakes. There are supposedly no two identical snowflakes.

Holding the shoe sole to you foot is not a good way to measure a shoe.

The best thing you can so is remove the footbed / liner and stand on that and see where you foot lines up.

Shoe companies will use a common sole for 2 - 3 size ranges, the same way the skate manufacturers will use a common blade length across multiple boot sizes, nothing new there.

What If, and this is a what if that would have to be backed up by people who have the desire and resources (money). Someone or people created a business that was based on the concept of "Build a Bear" but for building your own running shoes. People could come into the store and customize their shoes to precisely fit their feet and perform optimally. There could be different "build your shoes" sections in the store. Ones for dress shoes, basketball shoes, casual shoes, etc... The place would have to be big though, for all the materials and machines. Almost like a warehouse. But if it created a superior product that everyone deemed to be superior quality everyone would go to "build your shoes"

Most shoe companies will make custom sneakers, It is very expenses, but custom foot beds will make a world of a difference if you have trouble getting shoes to fit you right.
 89*4L
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/9/2009 6:33:37 PM
SHOOT! I mistyped. I compared the "shoe liner" of the 10D and 103E*
 Edsta
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/10/2009 4:24:26 PM
A few caveats about running shoes:

1. 90% of what is sold in department stores, big box sports stores, and (especially) discount stores is CRAP---if you ever actually (gasp!) RUN in them for more than say, 1-2 miles at a time. This includes all the big-name stuff: Nike, Reebok, etc. These shoes are designed for casual wear, walking, and light gym usage. In particular, BEWARE of shoes with huge overbuilt heels and stiff soles, like the Nike Shox series. Absolute garbage, and dangerous garbage: they will cause all kinds of injuries, from shin splints to much much worse. Don't be a sucker for the SUV-buyer's trap: you want LESS shoe, not more!

2. 70% of what is sold in specialized running stores is just a little less crappy---they will cause less pain, discomfort and injury in the immediate future. Further down the road, they also will cause problems. Why?

3. The advantage of going to a specialized running store is that you will at least get your feet properly measured and sized. You will get a gait analysis, which will tell you if you are a pronator, supinator, or neutral runner---based on that information, you will choose from a specific category of shoes. They will carry decent shoes from real running brands like Brooks, Asics, Mizuno, etc. And they will carry the 10% of decent shoes in the Nike inventory such as the Nike Free, Lunar Racer, etc.

4. The most perfect shoes in the world for you will be useless if you are running with crappy BIOMECHANICS and have weak/imbalanced CORE MUSCLES...you will STILL get hurt sooner or later. THIS more than anything is why running gets a bad rap: most people have never been coached on how to do it properly, and never do any core training. You see folks bouncing up and down like yo-yos, pumping their arms, twisting hips and/or shoulders from side to side, and generally looking miserable. Google up "Chi Running," "Evolution Running," and "Pose Method" for some pointers. The $25 Evolution Running DVD sold on Amazon is particularly useful.

5. The best way to learn correct biomechanics is to run BAREFOOT, on a hard surface like concrete or asphalt. Your BODY will then teach you what to do and what not to do. You will also fully stretch and strengthen the critical muscles in your feet and calves that are probably atrophied due to a lifetime spent wearing shoes, muscles that will both enable you to run at maximum efficiency and protect you from injury. Just remember to start out very gradually, 1/2 your regular speed and no more than 10-15 minutes at a time, do no more than 10% of your mileage barefoot in the beginning. Runbarefoot dot org is one great resource, you can google up more.

Also, explore the RunnersWorld online forums (and website) for tons of great info.
 _Icon_
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/10/2009 8:23:32 PM
At the very least go to a specialty store and have a guy who knows how to fit you watch your gait and pronation.
 grnecountrygirl
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/21/2013 8:36:36 AM
Running on hard surfaces barefoot, ok I dont run any more but I remember running in the Army in boots and getting shin splints...so I dont understand your thinking..I will say in proponent to running or walking shoes, I was advised to go to Running lab in orange, because I was walking and having lower back pain and hip pain,..and yes you pay for the analysis. But it was the best 130.00 I ever spent..I can walk miles now in those shoes, no blisters and no hip or back pain I just wish that I could find dress shoes that felt so good, as sneakers do not make the dress LOL!!!!!!!
 Skyr
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2013 2:57:06 AM

5. The best way to learn correct biomechanics is to run BAREFOOT, on a hard surface like concrete or asphalt. Your BODY will then teach you what to do and what not to do. You will also fully stretch and strengthen the critical muscles in your feet and calves that are probably atrophied due to a lifetime spent wearing shoes, muscles that will both enable you to run at maximum efficiency and protect you from injury. Just remember to start out very gradually, 1/2 your regular speed and no more than 10-15 minutes at a time, do no more than 10% of your mileage barefoot in the beginning. Runbarefoot dot org is one great resource, you can google up more.

I don't go as far as the whole Chris McDougall style barefooot-born-to-run ethos, but I agree with most of what you said.

When I bought my first pair of 'real' running shoes- overheeled Nike Pegasus shoes 18yrs ago, it just about put me off running. It forced me to be a heel striker, felt clumsy and like running on bricks. It was downright dangerous- sprained my ankle countless times from the extra leverage. I put up with it for a while then gave up running.

I got back into running 2yrs ago, and nowadays my favourite shoe is a minimalist pair of Diadoras I got for $40. Cheap, light, fast. Before that I had a pair of $200 of Asics which are little more than marketing gimmicks.

Aiming for a sub-3 marathon this year :-)
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2013 7:38:05 AM
I've run for over 40 years and no issues. I've never paid more than $35 for a pair of running shoes.

Yes a lot of technology has gone into running shoes but unfortunately not a lot of consensus on what the human foot actually needs.

All the 'proper measurement' stuff is largely crap. Put a pair on and walk around the store and trust your instincts. Go for a run in them. If they don't feel right after a couple of outings, take them back. It's not rocket science. The same with hiking boots.
 cautiousluv
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2013 9:31:10 AM

1. 90% of what is sold in department stores, big box sports stores, and (especially) discount stores is CRAP---if you ever actually (gasp!) RUN in them for more than say, 1-2 miles at a time. This includes all the big-name stuff: Nike, Reebok, etc. These shoes are designed for casual wear, walking, and light gym usage.

Hmmmm, I bought a pair of "Nike Dual Fushion Run" running shoes and they don't seem to be CRAP at all, actually I love them.
 activemelaney
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2013 4:23:36 PM
^^^^^^

I have runners from Walmart and love them. The difference is that I have a $100 left in my pocket. People spend their money on brand names, celebrity endorsements. There's not really much research or material cost put into an athletic shoe or blouse or dress or designer label purse. You are paying for advetising and hype.
 Just___Jim
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/23/2013 2:19:05 PM

You are paying for advertising and hype.

Hey now, you mean I won't be getting a yearly check from them for showing off their logo?

And if that's so where is a duct tape,I'll fix them real quick! ^^^^^^^^^

Personally, I only go to a professional store that fits your feet to what ever your activity is at no extra charge.

As I been mostly wearing New Balance[made in America] and sometimes Brooks.

And when it boils down to it, the proper fit is the key in my size 13 !
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/24/2013 8:33:20 AM
I agree with those who downplay the whole "shoe is to blame" mentality.

People don't learn to run properly and rather than focus on form and flexibility, they cry out that their shoe is either:
1. Junk
2. Poorly fitted
3. The wrong choice (blame the kid at the running shoe store for selling you a "neutral" rather than "stability")

To run pain free for long periods of time, MOST of us should NOT be heel strikers. Learn to strike further up the foot and let the heel land softly/gently.

I was using barefoot style shoes and running barefoot before the "Born to Run" craze took hold on people. I had a good mentor, luckily (father in law from Mexico, grew up running barefooted and continues to run daily now, at age 51 with no injuries), who showed me how to run with proper form.

I've seen way too many people switch to barefoot shoes and continue heel striking. Don't do that.

Learn to run properly. Then, choose the shoe that's best for you! I ended up wearing minimal shoes (no arch support or padding) for every shoe purpose.
 cautiousluv
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2013 3:15:18 PM

ST: To run pain free for long periods of time, MOST of us should NOT be heel strikers. Learn to strike further up the foot and let the heel land softly/gently.

Hmm...I had to actually look up what a heel striker was. Interesting....thanks for the info.

activemelaney: You are paying for advetising and hype.

I partly agree with this. I definitely think this is true sometimes but on the other hand, I have bought cheap tennis shoes (like the time I went on vacation to the MOUNTAINS and only brought FLIP FLOPS) and I could definitely tell the difference.....but maybe they were just a bad fit for me.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > "Bad running shoe, bad." And an idea....