Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do romantic movies or TV shows affect your relationship?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ceaser_73
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Do romantic movies or TV shows affect your relationship?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Yeah, "Sex in the City" was real popular and alot of women seemed to transcend with some of the behaviors of the characters within it.
Pretty much was about some HO"S that lived in New York, and like to go out and get together, have sex with lot's of men, talk crap on men, cheat on men, go shopping for shoes, eat lunch, talk more crap on men. The only character I liked on the show after watching and trying to understand it was Charolette cuz she was the only one that didn't slut around like the rest of them.
 indigo1357
Msg: 8
Do romantic movies or TV shows affect your relationship?
Posted: 10/14/2009 5:04:13 PM
yes and it is a huge part of the problem of people wanting/thinking they can have what they see in the movies but they forget its make believe.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/14/2009 5:17:32 PM
I actually just recently saw a study that women who watch more romantic comedies are less likely to have successful relationships.

There are several, but here is an example:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1868389,00.html

Last week, researchers at Heriot Watt University's Family and Personal Relationships Laboratory in Edinburgh, which studies best practices in relationship counseling, completed a study of 40 Hollywood romantic comedies released between 1995-2005. They found that problems typically reported by couples in relationship counseling at their counseling center reflect misconceptions about love and romance depicted in Hollywood films. (See TIME's Top 10 movies of the year.)

"Relationship counselors often face common misconceptions in their clients — that if your partner truly loves you they'd know what you need without you communicating it, that your soul mate is predestined. We did a rigorous content analysis of romantic comedies and found that the same issues were being portrayed in these films," the university's Dr Bjarne Holmes says.

The fact that Hollywood sells us an enhanced version of romance should come as no surprise, of course. But does that portrayal reflect a pre-existing expectation that film buffs hold or does it instill it? As part of their research, Dr Holmes' team had around 130 student volunteers watch the 2001 romantic comedy Serendipity, while another group of the same size watched a David Lynch drama. Viewers of the romantic comedy were found to be more likely to believe in fate and destiny. It was a small study confined to one region, but, Dr Holmes argues, "it does give us some indication of [the effects of romantic comedies]."

Mary-Lou Galician, Head of Media Analysis and Criticism at the Walter
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/14/2009 5:43:47 PM
Pam & Jim got married? I never knew they were engaged. I only catch reruns.

I guess I'll step up and admit that I like romance movies. I can't say they affect my relationship, because I don't have one.

If I did then it probably would if we watched the movie together.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Does romantic movies or TV shows affect your relationship?
Posted: 10/14/2009 5:47:30 PM

If i hear "He's just not into you ",one more time,
I think I'll slit my wrists
LOL!!!!

DAMN IT JIM, I'm a doctor....NOT a sewing machine!
 Rarebird76
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/14/2009 8:47:58 PM
Yes they do!!! I am modeling my life after the romantic comedy "Along Came Polly"
 daynadaze
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2009 11:00:40 PM
Well I've had lots of different emotions while watching a TV show or movie, good actors will bring that out, but had it effect my relationships??? I can't even imagine how that would happen, it's not real, it has no effect on my life to watch something romantic on a show/film.
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/14/2009 11:29:59 PM
I lived the Roseanne show during my marriage. My ex was as mean and over bearing as that b-tch. She loved that show, I sill hate it!
 ~*Isabel Kitty*~
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2009 12:23:17 AM
Yep, it does. Not so much TV shows....I mean maybe a little. I always just wanted happiness in my relationship like in a show. Like 7th Heaven, they seemed to be happy/loving dispite the number of kids they had. Gilmore girls was a sad influence, poor Lorelai with her heartbreaks. Movies often have a guy doing something completely crazy to get the girl, travelling 2000 miles to tell her he loves her etc. and I find myself wondering why guys can't REALLY be that sweet/awesome etc. to pursue a certain woman they KNOW they want. But overall, I talk myself down into reality/being realistic so I don't have high expectations of my boyfriend.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/15/2009 1:06:00 AM
Every time I see Dances With Wolves I want to live in the West with wild savage manly men
that ride horses.
T.V. show nah...well maybe Jon Stewart..for his intellect and humor.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2009 10:02:39 AM
Nope. If anything, hearing other people's stories, from what ever source, gives me other possibilities to consider.
The feeling you are having are common enough. I sometimes get a bit teary (guys, leave me alone) with some of those movies, but I can keep clear in my mind that IT'S A MOVIE. Real life is never as neat as the messiest movie.
Go ahead and watch them for fun, and even for ideas of what you want to look for in a partner, and in yourself, but DON'T let yourself believe that real life will ever match them. You'll spend a great deal of time alone, or in delusional relationships if you do.
 OutMind
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/15/2009 7:38:24 PM
Sure

I cried like a baby.

I could not sleep for days.

I began to question the meaning of life.

And then I realized it was not a movie, it was not a tv show.

It was all I could save in my car insurance.

Chitownguy40
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/15/2009 7:47:03 PM
That's actually a very interesting question. I think they must, at least in the sense that they shape our ideas about what relationships are supposed to be like. When we are very young, especially. Like the impossibly thin models can warp little girls' ideas about what a healthy body is, I suspect popular culture can distort our expectations for relationships.
 4everPossible99
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/15/2009 9:17:00 PM
I think romantic movies and TV shows can inspire you to be more creative. I think they can be very beneficial.
 Rarebird76
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/15/2009 9:24:29 PM
I just got done watching Gran Torino......now I want to improve relations with my Asian neighbors by slowly warming up to them and defending them from local thugs.

Here's the thing about fantasy & reality. Fantasy doesn't need a reality check to make sure everything is logical and makes sense and is feasible IRL. If it did most films would be over in under 10 minutes. Fantasy exists within itself and plays by it's own rules and it's purpose is to entertain you not document RL.
 StevieCashmere
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2009 1:40:48 AM
If people use 'romcoms' as a platform for how to do a relationship then tthey will surely grow up more slowly , if ever

~sc~
 IHavePopPopInTheAttic
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2009 1:24:01 PM
If you love Jim and Pam and are within my criteria PLEASE MESSAGE ME!!
 OutMind
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/2/2009 1:36:52 PM
Oh absolutely,

but I have a list of my own:

Gladiator
Saving Private Ryan
Any Given Sunday

I just love that line that goes "On my command, unleash hell."

Oh wait, Romantic Comedies. What'ta hell is that?

Heheheh
 boinkboinkboink
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/2/2009 1:40:32 PM
Ha ha! Outmind, well said!
 Merrylass
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2009 1:47:17 PM
I have to admit that I've thought that people ought to watch 'Mad About You' rather than something like 'Everybody Loves Raymond'. In the former, the protagonists were mostly kind to each other and good-natured even in disagreement. I don't think that's a bad model to emulate.
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/2/2009 2:47:06 PM
I may get my man card revoked for this little admission, but after we watched Music and Lyrics, my ex and I used to sing the main song from that movie to each other all time.
 pandusvenator
Msg: 43
Posted: 12/2/2009 2:56:30 PM
All media sources effect your ability to have a relationship.

Especially opinion leaders and silly relationship book writers with 3 or 4 divorces.

Even your fairy tales that were told to you as a young girl.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2009 6:34:38 PM
Nope, because I realize that television and movies aren't real. It seems like it would be nice to have someone who did all the right things and said all the right things but realistically, I kind of think that would make you want to puke after a while.

Also, if you have movie-type stuff going on in your relationship, it is highly likely that it is all smoke and mirrors with no real substance at all. I think you would only fall prey to this type of thinking if you actually believed a relationship of that nature really exists.

I know a few couples that are truly happy but they don't remotely lead the type of life one imagines in the movies. They deal with the same unattractive things we all do with bills, work, kids and other issues and I'm sure there are moments when they don't like their partners all that much, but overall, what I see seems so much better than the movie stuff anyway.

People need many people in their lives, the relationships one usually sees in the movies suggests that the right SO can be the answer to all of life's questions but good relationships involve more than the two people, a whole network of people that fulfill various needs for both parties.
 kpooks
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2009 8:25:26 PM
TV and movies are nothing like my real-life on-again/off-again "thing" with my occasional honey. She's way more independent than any weepy entertainment vixen; doesn't seem to need me much at all, which is OK I guess.

Would the episode in question be the WEDDING between Jim and Pam? If so, that WAS classic. Laughed my ass off! The two of them were cute, and boss Michael Scott (Steve Carell) with his usual stupid social iniquities, especially during his self-imposed toast, really made that a memorable wedding. The bald office worker (I forget his name) soaking his feet "my dogs are really barkin'" in the hotel ice chest was hysterical.
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 56
Posted: 12/2/2009 9:45:24 PM
I blame all of those vampire movies for my neck fetish.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do romantic movies or TV shows affect your relationship?