Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > JOB CENTRES      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 badge73
Msg: 31
view profile
History
JOB CENTRESPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
most of the staff at our job centre are hard working and like to go that little bit extra, but unfortunatly there are those who are jobsworths who give a bad impression on the whole lot. in theory im not allowed in the job centre as im not a job seeker, according to the jobsworth, but those who know me are always there to give me advice concerning benefits and rules. plus use the phones, as the head offices are 0845 numbers and could be on there for a good hour trying to get through.

what people dont realise is when back in the 80s/90s the staff were all trained to a standard, but with the cost cutting those standards arent being met. hence why you do get the odd militant who will stick there neck on the line to expose the lack of training. whats made it worse is labours idea to cut back the number of officies and facilities. at one time i could chat to the benefits agency direct face to face, when i was a builder and see about help for the winter etc. now if i was seeking the same help i would have to ring worcester and be put through the call centre and never speak to the same person twice.
 Warrencraig
Msg: 34
view profile
History
JOB CENTRES
Posted: 11/13/2009 8:13:03 PM
the discrimination laws are a load of rubbish!!

All the laws mean is that an employer has to think of a legal excuse not to employ someone!!

ageism is rife these days. When i was unemployed at the start of the year, the people at the unemployed training package for long term unemployed were made up of about 40% under 20's with no skills/qualifications (CHAVs, ex cons etc), 40% over 45's with lots of skills and experience, 10% a fairly transient group there usually only a few weeks, and remaining 10% people who are long term sick/disabled trying to get back into work.

What annoyed me was the younguns mostly had poor skills, poor education and zero motivation yet got loads of support and training, only to throw it back in the faces of the the staff by accepting a job then quiting/getting sacked in a week because "it was too hard" or "i couldnt cope" or "its not for me", all in the middle of a recession when quite frankly you cant be picky.

And then there was the older people who generally worked very hard and yet despite on paper having the right experience, right skills, right character etc still were inexplicably being rejected for jobs.

Even the staff advisors there had to admit it was probably ageism but that doesnt "officially" happen!!

The same happened with lots of the sick/disabled people, they would do all the training, job trials etc yet no one wants to risk taking them on!!

Bit depressing really!!
 Warrencraig
Msg: 36
view profile
History
JOB CENTRES
Posted: 11/14/2009 2:31:10 AM
Ageism is a massive thing the government just hasnt considered.

If they want to continue to up the state pension age and expect people to work until they are older then ageism has to be tackled.

Other wise in 10-20 years it will be the norm to have to "expect" to spend your 50s on benefits until a private pension kicks in at 60 or so.

That will then have an impact on mortgages and home affordability as if its the norm that most are unemployed from 50, then mortgage terms will have to be shorter and shorter compared to now!!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > JOB CENTRES