Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > would you date a guy who doesn't believe in education-content with hi      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jet_99
Msg: 1
would you date a guy who doesn't believe in education-content with his jobPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
just posting for a female friend and she tells me this

what you think of datng a guy with just grade 12 window washer in skyrises and says he can make it rich by owning his own company, and doesn't believe in education or going back to school for a college or any schoolling.before that he was doing hazarous materials
a lot of demo aspestos, black mold, uranium and lead plus we did emergency response
cleaning up after oil spills
he says he has had a lot of friends who went to college/univ and couldn;t find work related to their field. so he doesn't believe in schooling and won't go.

he thinks he can do it and is content with his job and thinks he can make millions and millions
just asking would you date a guy like this seriously?
 jet_99
Msg: 2
would you date a guy who doesn't believe in education-content with his job
Posted: 10/18/2009 7:55:28 PM
his age is 31
just like to hear what ppl think
 itechman63
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2009 2:36:19 PM
A highrise window washer?!?!?!

I am acrophobic and I count the above as an incredibly impressive job. Holy Cats!

Is the guy happy in his life? As a guy, I'm not dating any guys... but if he was a grocery bagger living the most modest of lives but truly happy, then that really should count for a lot.

I watched "The Nanny Diaries" last night and here was this extremely wealthy couple that was miserable beyond belief and bestowing upon their young son a misery exponentially worse than their own. Who'd want to be around those people?
 girlwPriOriTies
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/21/2009 1:15:02 AM
i dont care if he believes in further education as long as he:

1. believes in himself
2.believes in me
3.believes in God
 swampbuggy1
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/21/2009 11:09:49 AM
College does not guarantee success nor does it realy increase your chances In my experiance in this world is its all in who you know for example Is a boss gonna hire the A+ student or his high school drop out son n law? It will almost always be the son n law .
 OutMind
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/21/2009 12:10:38 PM

aspestos, black mold, uranium

Well, it's too late for me to go back and study oncology. But your friend motivates me to study law and make millions suing for, mesophiliona, worker's comp, disability.
 Puppydog54
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/22/2009 8:27:30 PM
Well, I never got a degree and I had a very rewarding career... which has allowed me to retire comfortably at age 54... with full medical insurance I might add.

To me, if a man (or woman) is satisfied in his career and is able to earn enough to live on, that is the definition of success. Sounds to me that your buddy fits this description nicely.

It would be a different story, in my opinion, if he was unemployed and sat home all day collecting welfare.
 m kaemicha
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/22/2009 11:28:14 PM
Education doesn't matter to me but wanting to learn does. People who ask and absorb and are self taught impress me more than those who have a degree.
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2009 10:18:15 AM
One of my personal heroes in my life was a city bus driver.

When I was in college, I couldn't afford a car so I took the bus everywhere and would often strike up conversations with the drivers. One in particular was a fellow who constantly had a smile on his face. He didn't make a lot of money. I don't think he had a college education. He wasn't even particularly bright, though not at all stupid, either.

But he was doing what he had dreamed his whole life of doing. He didn't care that being a bus driver doesn't impart a great deal of status on a person. He didn't care that he would never be rich. He had everything in life that he truly wanted.

Who can argue with a guy like that?
 ffryan
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2009 9:19:03 AM
You didn't mention the most important aspect of anyone's career. Is he happy?
 BlahGrim
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2009 12:53:02 PM
Can someone get a great job without education? Yes.
Can someone make millions without an education? Yes.
Does an education quarantee those things? No
Is it as likely for those without as those with? No.
Becoming filthy rich is generally a matter of chance/luck.
Becoming rich is usually a matter of hard work.

Does the guy sound a bit delusional? Yes.
 classic-man
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2009 1:05:22 PM
Hey
Personally I think a education is good if and when a educated person can be employed in the area of studies of interest - even if its a techinical degree or a PHD -

Many people aren't book worms to pursue a formal education- yet make good money in a technical trade field - many are self taught-
Although I believe in some form of education I also feel "ON THE JOB" be it formal or self training with experiences bring forth the best in a person if they willing to wait and apply and give time to their field of interest!!
Examples are- a plumber -electrician - and other techinical fields.

I have seen many -many person both male and female over educated - under employed outside of their desired fields of study -- just to have a JOB!

I have experienced the following-
A--- Associate degree opens the door with back bone work
BS -Degree opens the door with less backbone work
MS- degree offers you a chance of working with your brain
PHD/MD - degrees are specialized fields degree- that offers one knowledge to preform needed services --

In conclusion a person that gives a honest days work regardless of the degree of education - that pays one bills is to be admired and respected!!
Sometimes education is a trade off - !!
Like the Plumber needs the DR services --and vice versa -both are knowlegeable in their own field- each needs each other-??----Who is the best here??

IT's THE PERSON THAT COUNTS--- FROM HIS OR HER HEART!!
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2009 2:52:33 PM

I know a person who goes on and on about how she is getting a masters degree, and will automatically make big bucks (false) because of it.

Would you like me to talk t this woman so I can disabuse her of her misconceptions? When I had only a bachelor's degree, I was saving money at an incredible rate. Now that I have a master's degree, I'm going to be paying off all the debt I accumulated in school for many more years. I still make a little bit less now than I did when I had only a bachelor's degree.

But what's important is that I love what I do and getting the master's degree opened the door for me to pursue what was really important to me in life. I'll never be rich, but I'm very happy.
 Vannili
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2009 9:34:09 AM
If it makes him happy, not to improve his self thru education. that is his decision and if I am his friend,I will be happy for him.

I don't control him,maybe on the long run he may change his mind to learned some good skills that is not hazardous job...

If I am a doctor,lawyer, professor,etc.... I will not date him, for we are NOTon the same league of personality,mentality, and status.

But if I am on the same grain of background,education ,BLUE COLLAR job, I will date him even marry him... As the saying goes " Bird with the same feathers flock together ".

This remind me of Elizabeth Taylor once married a poor hunk construction worker, after the novelty weared off,it was a hell for both of them..
 cookie22222
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2009 12:58:07 PM
I don't think a degree is necessary to have a good income/job/career - intelligence is important, ambition is important, and neither of those come from books (I said "intelligence" NOT knowledge). As long as someone has a trade or skill, and is employable - what difference does schooling make?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > would you date a guy who doesn't believe in education-content with his job