Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > would you date a guy who doesn't believe in education-content with hi      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jet_99
Msg: 1
would you date a guy who doesn't believe in education-content with his jobPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
just posting for a female friend and she tells me this

what you think of datng a guy with just grade 12 window washer in skyrises and says he can make it rich by owning his own company, and doesn't believe in education or going back to school for a college or any schoolling.before that he was doing hazarous materials
a lot of demo aspestos, black mold, uranium and lead plus we did emergency response
cleaning up after oil spills
he says he has had a lot of friends who went to college/univ and couldn;t find work related to their field. so he doesn't believe in schooling and won't go.

he thinks he can do it and is content with his job and thinks he can make millions and millions
just asking would you date a guy like this seriously?
 jet_99
Msg: 2
would you date a guy who doesn't believe in education-content with his job
Posted: 10/18/2009 7:55:28 PM
his age is 31
just like to hear what ppl think
 deerdog1
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/18/2009 8:03:09 PM
while education is important ... there are many people who dont have formal education ...who do make it big ..become successful and yes rich in their field ... handling hazardous materials if done right is not dangerous and is a very lucrative field ..just because it is in demand because not many people want to do it ... he may have a point in that there is a prediction that skilled labor is going to be in short supply ..in the near future ... so we may well see college grads digging ditches ...not everyone is destine for the university ..we all have skills and talents ... never put down an under educated person they may be smarter than you .that being said ..education is important ..but not all education is found in school

being content with your job is a big factor in making it big in any field
 psychoholoic
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/18/2009 8:06:03 PM
Well.

Well, what kinda degreeds did his friends get?

A lot of people go to college and take up something they didn't research at all to begin with.

Like a lot of art degrees great past time, but a waist of money to go to school for unless you are already doing well financially, and are doing it for fun.

Ive known a lot of people who go in for something music related. And usually don't end up making much.

I've heard an associates in business doesn't mean much.

All depends, you have to research before you get yourself into a degree that you can't use after the fact. So maybe his friends just made bad choices and went to college to learn something that they might like but doesn't necessarily mean a job.
 deerdog1
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/18/2009 8:15:55 PM
I have a high school education ..and make a six figure income ..and have for years ..I am getting paid while we speak ..I post at work with the blessing of my employer ... the other two posters in this thread profess college yet I see grammar errors in their posts ... yet they seem to belittle people with less education ... im not criticizing them just stressing my point
 Gem With Flaws
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/18/2009 8:27:19 PM
If the guy is developed to the extent of his ability or desire, does he really care what someone else thinks ???

I, myself, have a new life, a new career, and a whole new perspective. I have worked hard, and quite frankly I don't care what anyone else thinks.

If they can't handle it, the EXIT ... is that way ------------>
 Simply Ducky
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/19/2009 2:02:29 PM
Can you say Bill Gates?

Education is way overrated. It shows that you can jump through hoops and complete tasks.

Ambition and "common horse sense" are much more valuable.
 feistyredangel
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/19/2009 2:19:58 PM
I'm with deerdog and Cassanova on this one.

I work in a place where there are OVER educated people that can't seem to function in life.
They have PhD's but they can't even spell common sense much less use it.

I've seen people that have college degrees and can't form a sentence or spell correctly.

And then there are the people that have a college degree and think they are above everyone else and should shut them down because someone else doesn't.

Do the last two sentences make sense, Op?
 WindRoper
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/19/2009 2:26:42 PM
Higher education is great for those who choose to pursue it, but it isn't for everyone nor does it translate into assured success for everyone. There's a lot to be said for enjoying one's work. Maybe he WILL make millions. Maybe he won't. He can't even know for sure... and your friend certainly can't. I will say it sounds more like your friend has issues, not the guy.
 itechman63
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2009 2:36:19 PM
A highrise window washer?!?!?!

I am acrophobic and I count the above as an incredibly impressive job. Holy Cats!

Is the guy happy in his life? As a guy, I'm not dating any guys... but if he was a grocery bagger living the most modest of lives but truly happy, then that really should count for a lot.

I watched "The Nanny Diaries" last night and here was this extremely wealthy couple that was miserable beyond belief and bestowing upon their young son a misery exponentially worse than their own. Who'd want to be around those people?
 forum123
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/19/2009 3:00:02 PM
I went to collage for art and music.( lotta good that did me)..I suck at spelling sometimes, I've been in business for 30 years now in the automotive trade...could he make millions? maybe not...could he make a decent living? sure. Just look at all the people who have a big house, fine cars, rich lifestyle...and lost they're job and are going to loose everything because they grew up on credit....when i went through my divorce, i lost all the cash, got all the stuff...after that, money was not the main thing in my life...enjoying my life seemed more importent...I worked my tail off for money, and overnight it was gone...and my ex deserved it...although i hated the way she went about it, I would not be where i am today if it were not for her...and i also know smart people who are dumb as rocks in most things...if he says he can do it, ask him how he's going to...don't discount him just because he's not book smart...ever see jay leno go on campus and ask really simple questions of the collage kids and the stupid answers they give or just don't know???? so much for being ed jew cate ted
 BigDaddyJinx
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2009 5:30:26 PM

he thinks he can do it and is content with his job and thinks he can make millions and millions
just asking would you date a guy like this seriously?

Why not? I mean, they let a dropout with barely a Grade 6 education run America for how long?

Yes, I mean the former President.

Proof that education doesn't equal success or lofty roles.
 Maybe Yes...
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2009 5:47:32 PM
Wait, the original post was YESTERDAY and the OP is already gone?

I'm 45, so NO, I wouldn't date a 21 year old regardless of his education!
(Sheesh, was that a trick question?)

There are different ways to be "smart".
Not all of them come from institutions and books, and some of the brightest people have had HUGE difficulties in school. Just something to think about.
 wings on my butt
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/19/2009 5:53:06 PM
He is working, self sufficient,making his own money and paying his own bills. So I guess I don't see what the problem here with this man is.
 1kindMan4U
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/19/2009 8:22:50 PM
Your asking of this question is also making a statement.

YOU have a normal judgementalism DISapproval of what he is doing.

Dont date him.. DONT view him as a "project" that you can "fix".

Go date guys that have the AMBITION you want.

Picture your life 10 years from now.. and he is STILL there.

Oh.. He is in a sooner-to-die field of work than not. She should realize that connecting with him will bring sorrow SOONER than later
 deltadallas
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2009 3:15:34 PM
this is a touchy subject like money. i believe education is not solely just going to college but it can be from traveling, reading, experiencing life. in the days we are living in a person will need to at least attain an associates - 60 hours and probably speak a foreign language like spanish or mandarin chinese. what i look at in a man who has not been to college since i am addicted to books and cultural things is how he articulates whether its in his writing or talking. since i was a spelling bee champ in school, i pay close attention to words.

some of the greatest minds like bill gates and the guy that owns oracle did not finish college. OP you do need to go back to school and at least take the basic english, spelling and math. eventhough you plan on being self emloyed you will need those basic tools along with studying what you need for your business growth.
 blueceleste
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2009 12:50:29 AM
lol i wouldnt take him seriously. ive met guys who i went on dates w/ only to bash me cuz im in college (now graduating) only to hear how much school sucks and how they can get ahead in life w/no education. i was dumbfounded to hear that! supposedly me bein college wasnt an issue since i told them reasons why i didnt wanna talk to them again college became a prob! lol

way 2 negative had 2 drop them
 girlwPriOriTies
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/21/2009 1:15:02 AM
i dont care if he believes in further education as long as he:

1. believes in himself
2.believes in me
3.believes in God
 Eastman75
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/21/2009 2:10:15 AM
It seems his dreams may be bigger than his potential, but to me the most important part is if your friend and him get along well and have a great relationship together. If your friend is materialistic and is looking for a more professional man that makes 6 figures and doesn't want to earn the money she wants herself? Then she should get a new guy before she ends up wasting his and her time.
 Mr_SmartFun
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/21/2009 4:20:35 AM

Can you say Bill Gates?

Education is way overrated. It shows that you can jump through hoops and complete tasks.

Ambition and "common horse sense" are much more valuable

I'm gonna isolate this one quote, though I could add in others I've just read.

First off, what's the criteria here? Is this battle of the bank statements or something? Because if that's the priority, then yes, a number of college drop-outs (Gates) and people who have never attended college have made a bundle. It's not impossible. And dropouts from Stanford or Harvard (Gates, again) may well be better positioned than people who complete their degrees at lesser-known schools to be hugely successful.

But, frankly, just tabulating how rich any person may be- or could be- is decidely shallow. And to say that "education is way overrated" is pretty ignorant. Yeah, in a bunch of places it's just rote learning:everyone just memorizes as much as possible to take standardized tests, and then everything is forgotten. But there are a bunch of great schools and teachers that do what education is SUPPOSED to- expose you to things, open your mind, inform you. Enrich you just for the sake of, you know, making you a better and wiser person. Not necessarily a richer one. Dismissals like the one I quoted are pretty lame, I think.

Of course, if someone is just going to wave around their degree as another status symbol, that's a waste as well.

In regards to dating someone- is this friend upset merely over the career path, or is the disinterest in education a sign of someone who isn't interested in perhaps improving themselves and is a bit close-minded?
 Zuglo
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/21/2009 4:53:16 AM
I would date a women who didn't go to college or anything like that, but she is making it, paying her bills, happy with her life, job, yes, I would.
The guy in question however seems like a dreamer, not saying that isn't possible, just that he seems like a big talker to me.
Your friend should look at the guy, how he is treating her, is he nice, not worry about how much mone he is making, or going to make.
This "realtionship" is already on the rocky start. I think she is already trying to change him. Not good. Not good at all.
 thefirstknight23
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/21/2009 5:58:23 AM
Listen, I really respect people who go to college because that means they had a goal in life to do it. It doesnt mean that they are going to be successful though! I am in IT and I can tell you that I make more money than most people with a 4 year degree. I decided not to go to school because I can learn by studying, on job training, or just job experience period. I can tell you that if I went to school for 4 years I wouldn't learn a whole lot.(for my field that is). So obtained the same if not more knowledge than a college graduate.
 _Icon_
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/21/2009 6:16:24 AM
There is a huge difference between being content with your job and not "believing in education".

Just because someone didn't complete their education doesn't mean they don't value it.
 swampbuggy1
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/21/2009 11:09:49 AM
College does not guarantee success nor does it realy increase your chances In my experiance in this world is its all in who you know for example Is a boss gonna hire the A+ student or his high school drop out son n law? It will almost always be the son n law .
 ForumPhantom
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2009 11:37:47 AM
I think I'll answer your question in two parts OP.

a) Education IS important. I work as a teacher-librarian and I hold four degrees and additional qualifications. If I met up with a guy who didn't see the value in what I do, what I've accomplished, and what I believe in - we wouldn't be a match.

But...

b) The wonderful fellow I'm currently dating never completed college. I'm very happy dating him because he is very intelligent and good at what he does. He respects my work and I respect his.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > would you date a guy who doesn't believe in education-content with his job