Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > let's do some venting      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jokemaker
Msg: 1
let's do some ventingPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
alright, allow me this oppurtunity to let out a couple of things. Not for the attention, or because I need some sort of virtual shoulder, or because I want to feel vindicated or exonerated. Nay, I merely wish to type this down so I may see it on the screen with my own eyes.

This world seems so damned to me. There is murder, corruption, war, lying, and stealing everywhere; even in the places you do not expect to see it. And it seems like no one really cares, or if they do, they do not care enough to fix it. All the worlds troubles are merely a headline in the newspaper, a banner that trails along the screen beneath Larry King while he asks some starlet why she is such a slut. It's a village idiot shouting loudly on tv, writing books on how right he is. It's radio shows telling you that one side of an obselete political spectrum is totally wrong, and the one they are behind is completely and unequivocably correct in every, single way.

Truth be told, I've always felt less of a human being and more of an observer. I see these things, and wonder why all that is good seems to go unnoticed, as if it matters not who discovered what new element because Paris Hilton blew a man on tape. I feel distant to everyone around me, even my closest friends who now seem to be strangers in many ways. I cannot figure out why I am here, and this existential gap is looming over my head like a storm cloud.

Everyone sees evil and chooses to ignore it, and I am no different. I am equally guilty in this matter. To judge others excluding myself would be criminal. Now what?
 SAguy_06
Msg: 2
view profile
History
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/19/2009 3:48:16 AM
Depression

Definition
Depression may be described as feeling sad, blue, unhappy, miserable, or down in the dumps. Most of us feel this way at one time or another for short periods.

True clinical depression is a mood disorder in which feelings of sadness, loss, anger, or frustration interfere with everyday life for an extended period of time.

See also:

•Adolescent depression
•Depression in the elderly
Alternative Names
Blues; Discouragement; Gloom; Mood changes; Sadness; Melancholy

Considerations
Depression is generally ranked in terms of severity -- mild, moderate, or severe. The degree of your depression, which your doctor can determine, influences how you are treated. Symptoms of depression include:

•Trouble sleeping or excessive sleeping
•A dramatic change in appetite, often with weight gain or loss
•Fatigue and lack of energy
•Feelings of worthlessness, self-hate, and inappropriate guilt
•Extreme difficulty concentrating
•Agitation, restlessness, and irritability
•Inactivity and withdrawal from usual activities
•Feelings of hopelessness and helplessness
•Recurring thoughts of death or suicide
Low self esteem is common with depression. So are sudden bursts of anger and lack of pleasure from activities that normally make you happy, including sex.

Depressed children may not have the classic symptoms of adult depression. Watch especially for changes in school performance, sleep, and behavior. If you wonder whether your child might be depressed, it's worth bringing to a doctor's attention.

http://www.healthprofessor.com/landers/depression.php?keywords=clinical+depression&referrer=Adwords&camp=HealthProfessor-Depression&group=clinical+depression&keyword=clinical+depression+definition&traffictype=search&creativeid=2334696519&sourcesite=

USA National Suicide Hotlines
Toll-Free / 24 hours / 7 days a week

1-800-SUICIDE
1-800-784-2433 1-800-273-TALK
1-800-273-8255

TTY: 1-800-799-4TTY (4889)
 farceur
Msg: 3
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/19/2009 4:32:46 AM
Until you get yourself hooked up with some kind of good works, a cause, a relationship where you matter, something like that, which is positive and you play a necessary role, then you are just an observer and disconnected from life, your outlook tuned to lonely feelings of pointlessness, and fed the worst examples of tragedy and inhumanity by the media, for the way they rely on emotionalism to sell their product. Look on the bright side and get busy with something worthwhile, and your outlook will improve greatly.
 dysfunction_junction
Msg: 4
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/19/2009 4:54:27 AM
you're trapped in chapel perilous, because you choose -- let me repeat -- YOU CHOOSE -- to focus on shit while excellence is also available. therefore, it's only natural that you get shitty feelings while focusing on all the shit in this world. you really have to be quite practiced at aghora or buddhism, to be able to actually laugh in the face of shit. don't try it; you're not ready.

from the sublime to the ridiculous... from evil to good... nothing in this world exists without its opposite... and all of these are merely states that any one of us have the complete freedom to fall into or... correspondingly... abandon for another state entirely. almost like radio frequencies... if you don't like the state you're in, turn that existential dial and get a better one. you're not responsible for anybody else's state of being.... you are only responsible for your own. also if you move into a higher state of being, you'll not only be much happier, but it will be much easier for you to have a positive influence on others as well. that's why they say, "it's better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness"...

sounds like you're watching too much TV. so turn it off and go outside... go running, ride a bike, paddle a canoe, climb a mountain. nature and the pleasure-pain of a little physical exertion will clear your head like nobody's business. then you'll know what's the next best thing to do. i guarantee, it won't be an existential crisis over stuff you've got NO control over.
 r90sboxer
Msg: 5
view profile
History
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/19/2009 4:57:10 AM
Somehow this just makes me think of the MASH theme music........
 itechman63
Msg: 6
view profile
History
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/19/2009 6:16:14 AM
Good thread and good responses.
 whitetigeress
Msg: 7
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/19/2009 6:38:28 AM
Ohhhh believe me I would love to vent. I've much to say from all I've seen and felt far and near. But ... I don't like the feeling it leaves me with. And it does me no good.
Now what?

Well....
I find when things get dark, feeling the way you've expressed OP, I purposely bring light by performing a charitable act.
To literally go out of my way to do some good, any good, and perhaps see a smile as a result changes my whole view.
Hopefully, I've also put 'pay it forward' in effect.
Something as simple as saying hello to a passerby.

There's a ling from a song, 'This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine"
Its hope, faith.. something to hang on to that allows us to laugh at the ridiculous ways of our current world such as described (Larry King/Paris Hilton). It doesn't have to be a religious thing at all.. just a personal thing. A preservation if you will of the human being within.
That is the part which enjoys the world.
 The Lone Haranguer
Msg: 8
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/19/2009 6:51:17 AM
Oh honey, you're just feeling some existential angst is all. Don't worry about it... it's all just part of the human condition. There's just one way through it: spend a little less time thinking about things... and a little more time doing things... and it'll pass.

In the mean time, here's a little something to help you along. Just sit back, listen and learn:

http://www.ernestcline.com/dmd/
 Divorced, Broke, Bald
Msg: 9
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/19/2009 6:57:24 AM
I woke up this morning with my Sweetie by my side.

Sorry, dude. I've got nothing to vent about.

Uncle Fist
Msg: 10
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/19/2009 10:55:05 AM
Philosophy is the fruit of too much idle time. I was once a victim of this, myself. I still fight it off from time to time. The problem is that it really serves no real purpose. It just gives you something to do in your head while you're busy letting your life pass you by.

Enjoy the world immediately around you, and help those that you encounter where you can. Don't let the stupidity of the masses become your personal problem. It's not unless you choose to make it so.

Despondence is not only exhausting, but it doesn't fix anything. It is a thoroughly useless feeling. If something doesn't affect you directly, do not worry yourself with it. A man with a life is too busy to be worried about things he cannot change.
 predator45
Msg: 11
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/19/2009 7:00:38 PM
I'm manic-depressive and very high on manic, so I'm never down in the dumps for long.

Getting depressed over things you can't do anything about just makes you feel stupid, weak and miserable.

The world is full of evil.

So what?

Just become the most evil person you know and you won't care anymore.

If you can't join 'em beat 'em.

Life's a **** and then you die.

Just have all the fun you can while you can.
 daynadaze
Msg: 12
view profile
History
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/19/2009 7:11:47 PM
How is this any different than the world has always been? In fact, I would say, there are more things being done to help people than ever before in history, so really, it's probably better than it use to be.

You need to talk to someone about why you spend so much time thinking about all that is bad, it could be depression or it could be a mental illness that needs attention but it needs to be looked into unless you plan to continue down a path of wasted time.

There are a plethora of things you can do for good if you weren't spending so much time being self-absorbed and downcast. You can't save everyone but you certainly could do a lot of things that would help what you see as evil. Really, your type of thinking, it's not healthy and it can lead to you instead of thinking all is lost to thinking you need to make a tragic statement. Get professional help and find out just what it is that is going on in your mind. You can make a choice to not be where you are now.

BTW, your negative, bashing comment about altruism in your profile is pure bull and only there so you can play the Woe-is-me card. You have zero idea how many people do things purely for altruistic reason, because it won't be broadcast, it won't be sent to you to deem worthy, it's done every second by many who don't waste their time bytching like you and instead get out there and help. Your low opinion of others is your personal problem, it does not reflect the real world of others. Wallow in self-pity and hate all you want, it won't make you right.
 wudger
Msg: 13
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/19/2009 7:12:39 PM
welcome to the way of the world.

ancient chinese curse - may you live in interesting times.
 Super_Eve
Msg: 14
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/19/2009 7:19:28 PM
And interesting is such an adequate word...
 JWG86
Msg: 15
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/19/2009 8:03:15 PM
One does not have to participate to be more than an observer. By simply existing we cause deviations. You don't need a relationship to be a player in this worlds affairs.

By watching, we ourselves open ourselves to being watched, and thus the subject of our observation becomes the observer. Everyone learns. Just be sure that what is learned in the observation of yourself is admirable, or at least not deplorable.
 Byrd
Msg: 16
view profile
History
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/19/2009 8:48:29 PM
Acceptence is the key of living in this life man. Once you accept life the way it is. Live and let live other things fall into place. Always take care of yourself don't let no one take advantage of you. And NEVER, NEVER take life too seriously because you aien't getting out alive, none of us are. I'm just starting to enjoy my life and I'm over 50, things are just starting to fall into place with my creatitivy, one door closes another one opens. Something came into my life I never expected and it's beautiful it was really worth the wait. I could have enjoyed it all much sooner though had I just accepted everything the way it is. But it's O.K. The way it is.
 JWG86
Msg: 17
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/19/2009 9:18:19 PM
+1 to the above. None of us are leaving this stage upright. We all die at the end of the play no-matter how rose-tinted our lenses are, or how doom-gloom we are. Its all about the here and now.
 monalee1
Msg: 18
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/19/2009 10:12:39 PM
hi.. OP, I agree with many of your observations... I follow Gods Plan for us so I feel informed, safe and confident of my future... blessings for the same
 fzrhusker
Msg: 19
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/19/2009 10:47:56 PM

Somehow this just makes me think of the MASH theme music........

No sh1t you hit the nail on the head

If your not living on the edge your taking up to much space!
 Jokemaker
Msg: 20
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/19/2009 11:37:19 PM
Let me state I am not depressed or suicidal, not in a million years -- should I live that long I would be impressed with myself as my genes don't seem that strong.

Anyway, what I feel is more of an emptiness of purpose, rather then self. I am locked in this tedious routine -- I get up, ride my bike to work, and spend my days thinking of what is possible in the human realm while serving the impatient****uckers of chesterton, indiana their goddamned whoppers. Should I forget to make it a double, well then their wrath shall be unleashed.

This is what I mean. All the things that exist and that could be, and here I am wasting away feeding these people pure bullshit (literally) while I slowly march towards death. It reminds me of what Einstein felt when he worked at the Swiss Patent Office -- it's a complete mental waste.
 diamondincnd
Msg: 21
view profile
History
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/20/2009 12:31:42 AM
Just my 2 cents.....

Perhaps OP you have a high IQ level and you need some thing to stimulate you. You may not be happy in your current conditions because you feel you are not living up to your fullest potential and flipping burgers wouldn't help you feel challenged enough in your day to day life. Perhaps a career move or even attending college or university may help.
If you see negative things around you and want to make a difference then maybe get into a field were you can make a difference.

To be honest I wouldn't be happy flipping burgers either.
 JWG86
Msg: 22
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/20/2009 3:57:31 AM
Find a lofty goal (own a nice house/car/whatever) and try to achieve it. Set a goal that will force you to step outside of yourself. That is what I did. God knows what will happen if/when I finaly catch my Chimera. I don't think about that part. I guess I will find another.
 Byrd
Msg: 23
view profile
History
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/20/2009 8:07:55 AM
You work at BOOGER KING? I WORKED AT Booger King in Calumet City ate all their food they fired me but not before they had to order out for more supplies. :
 Uncle Fist
Msg: 24
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/20/2009 11:49:57 AM

Anyway, what I feel is more of an emptiness of purpose, rather then self. I am locked in this tedious routine -- I get up, ride my bike to work, and spend my days thinking of what is possible in the human realm while blah blah blah...........

A man with a life is too busy to be worried about things he cannot change.

You're "locked" in that routine because you make no effort to break it. In other words, stop navel gazing and aspire to something higher than flipping burgers, Nietzche. Go put all that intelligence to use doing something productive rather than defeatist and melancholy. You're clearly not a dumb guy. But you're wasting your gift.
 predator45
Msg: 25
let's do some venting
Posted: 10/20/2009 1:23:59 PM
I apologise if I sounded flippant OP.

Judging from what I read here you probably are a rather serious young bloke with a higher than average IQ who is, - (for the moment at least), - stuck in a fairly mindless occupation which by it's nature tires the body, but leaves the mind free to dissect itself.

Speaking as one who is neither bright, well educated, or even sane, I can only offer my limited "Bogan" insights.

Even if you are young and don't have much of an education you can still earn bloody good wages if you are prepared to do jobs that other people won't touch.

By that I mean unskilled and semi-skilled jobs that are so inherently mucky, hard, obnoxious and/or dangerous or any combination of those things that employers just about have to bribe you to do them.

Go looking for those jobs.

Don't think of them as being mentally and morally demeaning, because they are honest jobs and there is nothing degrading about doing honest work.

Flipping burgers is honest work, but it is seldom the "career choice" of the artistic, the adventurous, or the ambitious young person, so you are only trapped flipping burgers as long as you choose to go on flipping burgers.

The jobs I mention are not "nice", - (I did plenty of them), - but they do pay well and if there is an intellectual or an artist gesticulating within your mind, then these are work experiences which will give you insight and inspiration aplenty for future work.

Peace!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > let's do some venting