Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Does 70 stone man deserve NHS treatment?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~Hams~
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Does 70 stone man deserve NHS treatment?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Paul Mason the fattest man in the world from Ipswich
at 70 stone is about to undergo life saving surgery.

A compulsive eating disorder has left him super obese
and with an annual care bill estimated to be over £100,000.

So I ask does this gentleman deserve any NHS treatment?

Hasn't he brought all these problems upon himself?

Wouldn't the £20 k cost of the operation be better spent elsewhere?

Is there such a thing as a compulsive eating disorder or is it just a lack of will power?

I'm sure we would all love to eat what we wanted but no our limits.
 surreygal
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Does 70 stone man deserve NHS treatment?
Posted: 10/21/2009 5:30:19 AM
Personally i think they should have offered him help way before he got to 70 stones. At that weight i dont think he would be able to walk so who is feeding him??

I totally agree with the above poster.
 Jo van
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/21/2009 6:40:10 AM
according to new figures, the cost to the NHS for alcohol related treatments is £3Billion/ year.
I'm sure there are similar figures for obesity.
Most of what we do, and what happens as a result of our choices, could be described as self-inflicted.
Skiing accidents, Sports injuries, Mountain Climbing (Frostbite) Motor racing, etc etc.
All injuries incurred could be argued to be "preventable" by not choosing to do something.
If we're gonna question this fat blokes rights,
should we also question all the other "self-inflicted" medical requirements?
 Jo van
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/21/2009 7:18:40 AM

there is a difference between talking on the phone whilst driving and being a glutton. Both forms of stupidity, but a glutton has the choice to stop it.. so that argument is redundant in this case.

But the three billion cost to the NHS of alcohol related treatments is preventable.
If people drank sensibly.
In fact if everybody was "risk-averse" and didn't take part in pursuits like horse riding, or ride motorbikes, the costs saved would be massive!
If people behaved sensibly, many illnesses and injuries would be prevented.
We all pay for the NHS and it's simple to pick out one category and say "you don't do this, why should you pay?"
Why should I pay for boxers to have their noses fixed? they didn't have to choose to get in the ring....
Smokers, fat people, whatever, the NHS is there to catch us when we fall, that's why I don't, and have never minded paying for it. It's universal care as needed.
They treat a lot of people for things that I don't do.

I do object to paying for the "royal family" though.
 ibakecakes
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2009 8:22:35 AM
I haven't had a chance to read all the facts about this but to me, isn't his mother at least partly responsible? I'm sure we have all seen children in our towns and thought 'my god, that child is overweight. Bet their mum/dad feeds them chips and pizza every night..' If children aren't given a good diet with everything in moderation, they will always have a tendency to be overweight. This man's mother must have had at least partial blame for thinking 'oh poor little johnny, he's a growing lad, let's just give him another pie' and started on this road downhill to where he is now.

I remember years ago in the police we were called to assist the brigade remove a body from a 2nd floor flat. This was a morbidly obese man who weighed an enormous amount who had died in the bed that had been his home for the last few years. The guy was so large that they physically couldn't get him out of the door............the answer? They rolled him up in a tarpaulin and used a crane to take him out of the window. Is this how you would want to end your life? Nope, me either
 Jo van
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/21/2009 10:49:17 AM
I think the cost of alcohol related disease is a relevant analogy, Your liver doesn't get destroyed after just a few sessions, it takes many years of sustained abuse and excess before it becomes irreparably damaged, people are often warned to stop, if they are lucky enough to be diagnosed, many choose not to and suffer the consequencies, including my Mate Nutty, who died on sunday, and it's his funeral next tuesday.
The same with smoking and it's complications of circulation and respiratory diseases.
Both are examples of people abusing their bodies through choice over long periods of time. If they stopped, they wouldn't get ill, they don't.
I am glad that the NHS for the most part does not discriminate along arbitrary rules, according to what some individual considers to be "acceptable" behavior.
Most of what happens to us is our fault on some level.
The NHS is an insurance policy, and there are no exclusions, and I hope that continues.
 Warrencraig
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2009 6:48:59 PM
if he is so mentally ill to get to 70 stone then why the hell hasnt he been forcably treated under the mental health act as are many other people with eating disorders??

I remember when i was in hospital and the patients on the eating disorder unit had every aspect of thier diet controlled by force if necessary.

That policy should have been applied to this guy a long time ago.

This person cant possibly prepare the food for himself so even such treatment in the home could very easily be used to limit his intake of food and help him loose wieght safely!

He quite clearly lacks the mental ability to make decisions about food for himself.

does seem to be a failure in the system. Its not like you can get to 30 stone and just not notice how big youve got, and when your that big even your GP cant avoid asking questions!!!

however if it transpires that the rumours he deliberately wants to be fattest person in world are true..... then he does not deserve ANY obesity related treatment by NHS and should have all care withdrawn. Hed soon loose enough wieght to go feed himself then wouldnt he!!
 MOOSHAK
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/23/2009 2:11:30 PM
sure they have to pay for it.ifthe government pay us so much money ,that we can eat all that foods free.you ever heard someone from 3rd world waight more than40 kilo.
 Warrencraig
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2009 5:12:42 PM

wouldn't life be wonderful for all us fatties if it was that easy? If it REALLy was that easy do you really think there would be so many people suffering from obesity? If it were that easy we would all be perfect sizes wouldn't we?

Sorry but theres a massive difference between someone whos obese (say 20 or so stone??) and someone who is 70 stone!!!

No way do you get past 30 stone and not realise its massively restricting your life in many ways!!! Unless of course you are saying all obese people have serious mental illness???????
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Does 70 stone man deserve NHS treatment?