Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Globalism; good or bad?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 2
Globalism; good or bad? Page 1 of 1    

Do we have any defenders of globalism?[/quote[
Not me.

These people and their greed have done so much damage to the lives to so many. These people do indeed 'slither' and the only thing they create is ruin wherever they go.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 3
Globalism; good or bad?
Posted: 10/21/2009 6:03:33 PM
Nations with integrated economies don't attack each other.

The EU is an example of globalism - and Europe is free of even the threat of war for the first time in recorded history.
 natural energy
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Globalism; good or bad?
Posted: 10/21/2009 9:56:54 PM

Nations with integrated economies don't attack each other.

The EU is an example of globalism - and Europe is free of even the threat of war for the first time in recorded history.

Yes ....... isn't it too early to make such a statement?

.... you know what the conspiracy theorists say about a global currency!
Even though I am not a conspiracy theorists, the thought of anything totally global suggests "big brother"!
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 7
Globalism; good or bad?
Posted: 10/21/2009 11:07:01 PM
I'm actually a fan of Naomi Klein.

I just think blanket statements like "Globalism is bad" are too simplistic. There are upsides and it's silly to ignore them.
 PiggyT
Msg: 9
Globalism; good or bad?
Posted: 10/22/2009 6:17:04 AM
I have this book and made it about 2 thirds the way through it before I wanted to slit my wrists. I want to remain ignorant to the treachery around us cloaked as "Government".
 Booky3
Msg: 10
Globalism; good or bad?
Posted: 3/9/2014 2:51:44 PM
This website might be of help.

http://landdestroyer.blogspot.com/

OR

Lets see how long it takes one of the moderators to close it after the link is posted...smiles
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 11
Globalism; good or bad?
Posted: 3/9/2014 4:07:55 PM
I would agree with poster #7 to a large degree

Globalism could be a positive force assuming all the players operate on an even playing field.
In that sense, everyone would have a vested interest in making it work
and there would be (or should be) less strife and conflicts.

Of course reality dictates otherwise
In that you have oligarchies trying to gain leverage in order to increase their own power & influence.

In the EU, you have Germany and France (to a less degree) who are the main beneficiaries
Of course, they are also the main risk takers.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Globalism; good or bad?
Posted: 3/9/2014 5:31:51 PM
I don't know what definition of "globalism" is at issue here. Whether I think it's good or bad or indifferent, depends on what is meant by the word.

First and foremost, the economy has always been "global." Archaeology has shown that "international," world-wide trade existed long before most nations even began to exist. So the oft chanted phrases that we live in a new "global" economy are BS.

There has been a big change relatively recently, when the various Soviet related nations fell out of isolation, and when China decided to become a Capitalism-based "communist" country. Lots of greedy and powerful people have taken advantage, and used the availability of oppressed foreign labor, to lower their costs, for example. Some have purposely taken advantage of the lack of requirements in many places for safe working environments, again to reduce costs without paying any attention to the REAL cost of such actions, and our government has supported their actions.

It is essentially a return to the Imperial enslavement of foreigners, but with the corrupt and or oppressive local governments seeing to the "cooperation" of the workers, instead of foreign armies handling that task.

There's another definition of "globalism," which is almost the opposite in spirit. Instead of deciding that the desperation of one peoples of the world can be used against another, it is based on the recognition of the true interdependence of everyone on each other, not only economically, but in terms of the health of the planet itself. That version of "globalism" is much disliked by the supporters of the other version, because the whole point of the "globalist" opportunists, is to avoid having to pay attention to the health and well being of anyone anywhere.

Third, whichever side one may be on, the global nature of both economics, and of environmental concerns, is an undeniable fact. It's pointless to decide that it's good or bad, since it has to be dealt with either way.
 Coma_White
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Globalism; good or bad?
Posted: 3/10/2014 1:26:28 AM

Lets see how long it takes one of the moderators to close it after the link is posted...smiles

I cringe whenever I see people call themselves neo "nazis" or when newsarticles call them that. Groups like Hamas are armed Jew-hating groups, but they're never called neo-nazis. America, along with countless other countries had racist ideals and laws a long time ago, but we don't call people "neo-American" if they're racist or xenophobic.

The main reason I don't like globalism is that I dislike the idea of countries ditching their national currency for a common currency. I prefer each nation having their own unique currency and unique culture. I think globalism makes dictatorships easier because there is less national autonomy.
 gtomustang
Msg: 14
Globalism; good or bad?
Posted: 3/10/2014 8:54:56 AM
if you "enjoyed" what Naomi Klein revealed, grab Greg Palast's "Armed Madhouse".
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 15
Globalism; good or bad?
Posted: 3/10/2014 4:10:59 PM
It's neither,,, and it's both.
My own experience of globalism came as a shock, about 10 years ago as I opened up some genuine GM parts for a Chevrolet truck, and one part was made in Mexico, the other in Hungary! Wow, I thought, how weird. I had been buying Nikon cameras and Fuji film and Sony radios, but this took me by surprise.
Someone mentioned the EU, and isn't that more of anti-global? They are, after all the European Union, but it seems like it has a few strong players a few weak players, and some OK players, I don't see much strength in that union "as" a union, because the weak would perish were it not for the strong. Will we evolve to the point of having six or 8 similar regional unions? How will that work?
I read some Naomi Klein, I like her writing style, but the content leaves me wondering, if huge farming methods are bad, what methods will replace them? And the same for energy production, she sounds the alarm, but offers no solution other than to say if we cut back drastically RIGHT NOW, we MIGHT save ourselves from extinction. And again no solution, I have to sat "Thanks but no thanks."
Global greedos? Profiteers at every corner? I'm a simpleton, when I get gas for my car I see that one gas station is cheaper than the other, so that's where I go, quality being comparable. I don't get into the moral concerns of which station pays it's employees more, and who has better health plans. When a buyer sources out shoelaces for Nike, or parts for GM, that's what they are thinking too.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Globalism; good or bad?