Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Being approached while with your child      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 carterscutie85
Msg: 2
Being approached while with your childPage 1 of 1    
For me it would really depend. If we were in an area that there was not alot of people (for instance if I was at the park and he came up to me) I'd probably be very weary because I wouldn't know if he was some sort of kidnapper or pervert. If we were in a crowded store, I wouldn't be as weary knowing there was other people around so he'd be less likely to try something. Personally, when ANYONE approaches me, I keep my hands on my son in his carseat at all times, maybe I am being paranoid but it's easy for someone to reach in and try to steal him.

If he approached me and I felt comfortable enough to talk to him, and I thought he was flirting, I wouldn't give him my number. I'd maybe take his, or look him up on Myspace or something, so I could get to know him better. I'm not going to give some random guy who approaches me in the store my number, especially considering some sexual perverts target women with children so they can get close to their kids. The women may not realize it if he waits till her kids are out of her sight but the truth is he was probably watching her, seen she had kids, and decided to approach her hoping to get close to her kids.
 lonewarrior629
Msg: 3
Being approached while with your child
Posted: 10/22/2009 4:27:23 PM
Any man that would aproach a lady while she is out and about with her children needs to get a life.

As a single father I keep my child out of the picture untill I know the relationship has half a chance. Then only then is it a slow and casual introduction. Not on the first meeting. Unless however we both have kids and they are playing in the same park. I still don't ask for numbers ect. ect..

Lonewarrior629
 carterscutie85
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/22/2009 5:18:26 PM
On another note, I absolutely hate lookie-loos. I was at the store recently and this woman walked past and as she was walking past she was literally craning her neck back to see my child. Pissed me right off. It's one thing to approach me with a smile and maybe ask how old he is. Or if we are in the line and they are behind me and see him. It's another to be staring at him as u are walking by, and not even looking where u are going cause u are too busy looking at my baby.
 singlesuperdad
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2009 5:20:54 PM
OP
most single parents are going to be cautious of people coming up and talking to them , especially when the kids are near. Most single parents have been though somekind of hell at one point or another. When confronted the first reaction is to protect the kids, not your fault. It's just become a reflex action. especially with all the stories of abductions and sex crimes invloving kids. It really depends on the location too. very public places like the grocery store they feel more comfortable and safe. An empty park or beach, no. Sounds like you did ok, and made a decent first impression. good luck. oh and just remember, her heart will heal quicker and easier than the kids so be careful.
 lonewarrior629
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/22/2009 5:27:18 PM
Hope I didn't jump on your toes too hard.

Didn't mean too, I'm just very carefull with my child is all.

Take care and good luck

Lonewarrior629
 KarmicEvolution
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2009 6:05:13 PM
I dont stand a chance when my daughter is around... everyone... and I do mean everyone... loves her (weve been followed around grocery stores by old ladies, had kids (boys and girls) stop us to play with her, we cant eat at restaurants because people talk to her and she doesnt eat, an angry old russian man who spoke no english managed to call her "Angel from God", oh the group of frat boys she coo-ed at who were over heard saying "Id have kids if they were that cute", just to name a few).

IF they managed to get past her and just struck up a conversation I would be open to it, but a out and out hit on, I wouldnt be so keen
 itsallinthesoul
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/22/2009 8:18:02 PM
It depends on what you mean by approach really. I wouldn't appreciate some man I don't know hitting on me right in front of my children in a blantant way but I do tend to chat up with strangers all the time. Perhaps the defining factor would be whether or not I was physically attracted to the man. If I was, I would slip him my number if he asked but would obviously still prefer that not happen right in front of my child(ren).
 itsallinthesoul
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/23/2009 6:14:03 AM
Tito, I guess you misread what I wrote because I said specifically that I would prefer that (the slipping of numbers) not happen right in front of my child(ren).
 WayTo South
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/23/2009 6:15:48 AM
What is the big deal really?

First of all most children have no idea what flirting is. So as long as it is kept tasteful, why not flirt? It isn't like you are approaching the other person and heading straight for lip lock. More than likely the kids are just witnessing two adults having a conversation. Overall I do agree with keeping the children out of relationships and dating until the time is right, but limiting your conversations and flirting to times when the kids aren't around kind of limits a lot of opportunities.

Yes...I am the creepy guy in the grocery store with kids who says hi to pretty much everyone....funny thing is....most of the time it ends up in a conversation.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2009 6:35:37 AM
My kids are often the ones that tell me when a women likes me. Thanks to them having a better understanding of who is flirting or not, I have meet a few women I might have over looked. I get the dad "she likes you" or "hey dad she was checking you out" from both my girls. I am glad women have broke the ice with me when my kids were around, because they are all most all ways around. Meeting women in the real world works, way better then a computer. When a women talks to me at the beach or the park when they see my kids running around, it's clear they don't have an issue with me having kids, like lots do. Guys don't seem to worry about it as much as women, well at least the guys I hang with.
 luvs2bme
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/23/2009 6:47:35 PM
What's the big deal if you approach a lady (with respect) and pass on your number? I wouldn't mind. I'm allllllllllwaysss with my kids. So, hey, make my day. Stop me in Wal-mart, tell me I'm cute, ask if I'm single, tell me something good about myself. Cuz after chasing two kids in Wal-mart I'm feeling less than sexy. :)
 amanda84
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/24/2009 2:01:15 PM

I dont stand a chance when my daughter is around...

It's the same way with me. When she's around, I don't exist. Which is fine by me... I personally, think she's way cuter... and I wouldn't notice me either.
 barbee1970
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/25/2009 10:36:43 AM
I'd still be leary cause now what pedophiles do is they try to get the mom's trust to get to the kids. Alot of times now it's people children know who are hurting them the most.
 NotInnocent
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/25/2009 10:03:53 PM
Is this really a question? Why can't you come over and say hello? I'm trying to teach my child to meet friends his age, why can't I talk to someone my own age? At this point it is nothing more, Now if you don't have kids and are hanging at the playground.. I'd be questioning your true motives..
 daydreamin_honey
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/6/2010 9:19:16 PM
I have been approached many times at the park while with my kids, once by a single dad whose son was interested in something my son was playing with. Naturally we chatted while they played. Then again, the parks we frequent are very busy and not the best place for "the crazies" to look for targets. I've had guys that obviously wanted to flirt but were notably unsure of how to do so because my kids were present. Anything from complimenting my ink or asking where I got it done, talking sports (since my son usually has his soccer gear with him), talking about local music, etc. ... obviously more interested in me than trying to steal my kids, lol.
My kids are more likely to approach complete strangers just to say "Hi". My daughter has a way of attracting people to her, old and young, male and female. We have a little cafe we frequent and she is always the star with everyone there. She loves the table of "Papas" (she associates age with titles - old men are all Papa). She's polite to the staff and funny as can be.

I guess if I was a single mom with a small child for the first time I might be more concerned or even paranoid.
 seperate1
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/7/2010 12:00:49 PM
i dunno, if your being respectful why not; i mean if i see you at a store or something, i don't know you, i might never see you again. If i don't say something NOW i might never have an opportunity later; im not talking about being all sexual or using lines, im talking about saying hi and trying to establish communication.

i have had women approach me when im w/my kid and they aren't w/theirs or they have theirs w/them.
 NappyKAT
Msg: 27
Posted: 2/7/2010 11:51:30 PM
I tend to chat up strangers a lot too, so wouldn't have a problem being approached if I had a kid. If he's a single father too, all the more merry!

The only time I may have a problem is if he's a single guy at the playground and just watching the children, without having any of his own. But I've done that too. If he were chatting me up, I would ask why he didn't have any or where they were. If his answer was sufficient, I wouldn't think him creepy. Some people like to watch children at play and don't have kids of their own.

Maybe I'm too unawares, but I don't think people are gonna steal my kids right from under my nose.
 whatzyerpoint
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/9/2010 4:32:27 PM
Carterscutie take the rubber neck's action as a compliment. You have a gorgeous child. People look twice at him. Next time someone does that just smile and say " I know! Even I can't believe how beautiful this kid is" and walk away.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Being approached while with your child