Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Hoarders...feedback please      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ideoform
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Hoarders...feedback pleasePage 1 of 1    

"There are health concerns for a sick family member who is living with her."

Hoarding can be dangerous. One of them has to leave. This person is in over her head, literally. She should not be expected to be taking care of an ill person. It is probably too much stress for her, and has been for some time, seeing as she is having trouble doing housekeeping.

If you don't want to go the route of the fire department, you might consider hiring a professional organizer (the fire department can probably recommend someone.) There are people who specialize in dealing with hoarding. This might take longer than if you get the fire department involved.

Since she is over 70, she probably is too old to learn to live another way, and probably won't want to anyway. She might be struggling with some dementia and memory loss and is embarrassed about it. So consider that moving both of them out to some other home might be your best option. If she is full of anxiety, and is irritable and defensive, she might benefit from being evaluated for medication for depression or anxiety. Hoarding is a form of OCD, and there are some medications and therapies that can help with that.
 CatManDo1959
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Hoarders...feedback please
Posted: 10/22/2009 9:11:38 PM
There's much I'm not getting here. Fundamentally is the issue of getting this woman 'panelled'. I've never heard of the term - looked it up and, aside from carpentry, it's being put on a jury. I'm sure that's not what you mean. Euphemism for committed?
And squalor, as my grandmother used to say, "One man's junk is another's treasure" Growing up, my mother had the bedroom, my father and I, beds on opposite sides of the living room. Her clothes collection dominated her room. Currently, my father lives a basic life in his room in the now two bedroom house; my mother's clothes 'own' the bedroom and she sleeps in the living room. I guess it wouldn't be an issue if a woman had a walk-in closet like the one those women in the Sex and the City movie were gushing over with their impromptu fashion show.
When I was young, 'help getting things sorted' meant junking indiscriminately not sorting. Unless someone shares your interests, everything you have is junk. My 'hoard' of Cd's and DVD's are on shelves alphabetical. Put it this way, I think it was Dennis Miller who said (of a celebrity) if he/she can afford the cost of treatment at Betty Ford, he/she doesn't really need it yet. Meaning management.
And if it's 'filth', hygiene is relative. Some people could have a cow merely over how my grandfather would stir the evaporated milk into his coffee with the handle of his spoon.
 flyin-high
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2009 1:48:51 PM
Paneling is also a good way to have someone committed if you want control of their finances.
 CuriousDav56
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2009 3:52:42 PM
Hmmm..... should get myself panelled.
 CatManDo1959
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2009 10:31:43 PM

And BTW why is it that unless you are talking about sex or making subtle inuendo about SEX someone is always ready to DELETE you! OK I'm whining now!

Slightly off-topic, interludesolo, but I had two posts of what I thought were a unique and funny anecdotes (they werre received well IRL) that I put in the humour forum. Both were voted off the island. I thought I read that if you get a third strike your profile gets deleted. So most of my postings have gone to another forum website though I check in with POF regularly.
Mmm...would subtle innuendos be misspelling your POF nom de plume as its homonym? I saw the possibility but i's na proper to actually use it.
 CuriousDav56
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2009 10:06:35 AM
The only thing I'm able to collect these days is filth.....

And not the internet or magazine varity...

Time to get out the vacuum cleaner.
 SmartAlec
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2009 5:19:08 AM
Age and Opportunity have a program called "Full House". Call them and make a referral. I am sure that Cancer Care social workers will help relocate the woman getting chemo and living with that other lady and the social worker there may intervene and make the referral to Age and Opportunity for you.
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Hoarders...feedback please