Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Would you do any job instead of the dole?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dub08
Msg: 1
Would you do any job instead of the dole?Page 1 of 1    
This thread is also in the UK forums but I thought I would take it into here - unless thats not allowed.

A friend of mine was made redundant a few months ago - she is a secretary. When M&S advertised for staff for Xmas we suggested she should go along - she worked in retail before getting the secretarial job. She has a mortgage to pay and her redundancy payout won't last too long. However her response was 'Oh I would rather wait for a clerical job to come along'.

Now if that was me I would have been first in the queue at M&S - it is only over the Xmas and no one is taking on clerical staff at the moment so she hasn't a hope. Her b/f has just been made redundant and they are now struggling.

What would you do? Apply for the job or hang on?
 floatsum
Msg: 2
Would you do any job instead of the dole?
Posted: 10/24/2009 1:05:00 PM
Id take the job for the Christmas but after Id leave even if I was asked to stay and hold out for a job I wanted. If the money is needed then Id sweep the streets if I got paid for it.
 Munsterbear
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/24/2009 6:29:22 PM
I work for a local authority, and on a daily basis I sit with locals and their exact phrasing on the situation is: "When am I getting my place? I'm entitled to a two bed!" What entitlees them to it?

We have generated a whole dependancy culture and at this stage we are so politically correct it will not change.

I do not label every social welfare recipent in the same light, there is a big difference between the lad who signed on, on his 18th birthday and the lad who lost his job.

But it;s not just about getting the dole. single person about €215 a week. Sure that unemployed lad needs to live somewhere so lets off rent allowance. Another €700 a month, so€215 plus €180. Still without doing anything

Lets throw on the medical card, fuel allowance. Oh it;s so hard to be on the scratcher
 floatsum
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/25/2009 8:09:30 AM
Maybe Im missing the point but what has that got to do with accepting a Christmas job or holding out for a job you have spent years training for? I got put on notice the week before last, if the company I work for closes should I not claim social welfare and perhaps beg? I pay taxes therefore Im entitled to claim social welfare should my employment circumstances change. Maybe the person in question would have their choice of jobs if government employees were not paid 25% more than the rest of us and if they didnt take twice as many sick days as the rest of us. Not that I believe that for a second but neither do I believe that the unemployed are to blame. If we had a better government perhaps they wouldnt be unemployed.
 missx3
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/25/2009 3:56:23 PM
I do an entire worldwide internet show on this topic! There are a disgustingly amazing amount of people who will NOT take a job in retail, fast food restaurant or other 'menial' job because it is not quote 'in their field'. Who is supporting them?! Here, if you get 'aid', you need to show you are looking for work and accepting ANY job. Then, many disreputable co's do not pay you after you have worked. Most will not accept these jobs. Would you be a telemarketer and get sworn at and hung up on all day long hundreds of times a day? We did! For those who so casually say " I would scrub floors if I had to' have you ever actually scrubbed floors 8-10 hrs a day, full time, all day? I not only scrubbed and cleaned the ktichen floor, I stood waiting for a bus for it, coming and going, and served 225 nursing residents, pushing 225 lb trays, doing all the food prep AND the dishes (that silverware and trays are very heavy) for 225 people. Then at night we had to take a very loud hose and water down the entire dishwashing room . For a whopping $7.00 an hour! All the little college students would not do this, nor would the whiny women and men who keep telling me " I am holding out for my job I can't find a job whine whine". Burger King is always hiring. You don't wanna work crap job for crap wages, so just admit it.
 goldiecat
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/25/2009 4:44:09 PM
missx3 your post reads like you think there is some dignity in working for slave wages doing menial work. I see no dignity or self respect in that. Its ok if you are
a student and just and its temporary, I know I did lots of terrible unskilled padly paid jobs when studying. However for someone with qualifications and a lot of experience I agree with floatsom. I paid PRSI (our public insurance which is automatically deducted from my salary) so i am entitled to claim unemployment benefits. I would prefer to claim and do voluntary work that would add to my CV and maybe a parttime menial job if needed than to work for crap wages and bad conditions to make a fat white rich man richer thanks!!
 milseani
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/27/2009 11:35:21 AM
I think when u have a mortgage to pay u should put ur pride aside and take what u can get for the time being, staying on the dole wont help your chances of getting a new job and there r plenty of qualified ppl doing jobs they r overqualified, you can still look for jobs in ur own sector when u r working for whoever
i have no degree in my job although i did attend college but a lot of ppl i work with have degrees that r in no way related to the job they r doing but they r doing the job cos there r no jobs in the sectors they r qualified in
in response to floatsomes comments on goverment workers, ya some of them r overpayed and these r minly ppl higher up, but u have to remember in the guards and hse, the lower paid workers and the risks they take in their jobs , they have plenty of injury risks and sickness around them which makes it a lot easier for them to get sick even if they r being hygienic u can not always avoid picking up a bug or whether it be a nurse getting attacked by some drunk and being out sick injured after that and those workers r now on lower wages then ur exagerated figures and there is no recruitment so they r doing the same job as they were doing b4 but now they have to do that bit more for less pay and they r constantly being left short staffed and cant afford for ppl to ring in sick as they dont have the staff around to replace these ppl so in those sectors of goverment its not fair for them to be looking at further wage reductions due to the goverments misdealings
thats not even to mention the other stresses and strains that go with their jobs and the responsibilities they hold
 floatsum
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/27/2009 3:03:07 PM
I do agree with a lot of what you say milseani about a lot of government workers having a hard time of it, apologies to all government employees that found my comments offensive. I guess it rubs me the wrong way when people have a go at other people that are less well of than most of us.
 milseani
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/27/2009 4:27:33 PM
oh i know you are right floatsum,there is no need for having a go at those less well off
although some ppl do sponge off the dole and the benefits
there is a lot of honest ppl with families who are only on it out of circumstance and would love to be working in a job without having the necessity for taking those benefits
and those in goverment jobs r lucky to be where they r at the same time even though they may have it tough
Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Would you do any job instead of the dole?