Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > What man or band is the Godfather of Heavy Metal? Let the debate begi      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kenpoboy
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What man or band is the Godfather of Heavy Metal? Let the debate begin!Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Sabbath for certain, although you could make a case for Jimi Hendrix, too.
 SU_PI_AP
Msg: 3
What man or band is the Godfather of Heavy Metal? Let the debate begin!
Posted: 10/25/2009 8:39:48 AM
Sabbath, end of discussion.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2009 3:21:19 PM
Hendrix was not metal, agreed. But he did lay the foundation for hard rock/metal in both playing and showmanship - think flaming guitars and picking with teeth, etc. In the same way that Cream or Vanilla Fudge were not metal, but found the path. Sabbath *was* metal.
 Axxis
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/25/2009 6:53:56 PM
We all know Manowar made metal. When Joey, Eric, Karl and David were hatched yes hatched not born they are not of this world. The Genre of Metal was created.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_UGFLT0VMY
 SU_PI_AP
Msg: 27
Posted: 10/30/2009 3:05:18 AM
Sabbath will send ANY band running home to it's momma, screaming, with a piss trail running down it's leg.
 Mrpbody44
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/4/2009 7:27:06 PM
Blue Cheer were one of the first. I would say Link Wray's Rumble started things as well as The Kinks You Really Got Me.
 HamScream
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/6/2009 12:24:43 PM
So, this thread was pretty awesome, love hearing others take on this. I may be young, but one of the first metal bands I listened too was PanterA. Now I know this is WAY after Sabbaths days. I am one of the people that agree Sabbath for sure. I mean, look at the various other metal bands around, old and new that have did a cover of a Sabbath song. If ANY band out today that claims to be metal, says that Sabbath isn't an influence on them, they are full of shit.
I have been in 3 different bands, 2 were pretty heavy and the other not as heavy. I play samples and keys and did a little vocals. Even though I'm not a guitarist or drummer or anything, I still look to them as a huge influence.
Anyway that is just my take on this. Take it or leave it :)
 2findU
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2009 2:55:35 PM

Sabbath for certain, although you could make a case for Jimi Hendrix, too.

Don't forget about Led Zeppelin too.
 TOMic bomb
Msg: 50
Posted: 11/12/2009 3:33:32 PM
heavy metal was built on the backs of previous bands, each one contributing a little more each time.

if heavy metal is the number 5 it couldn't exist without 1,2,3 and 4.

it's inaccurate to say which was the first but..........

i'll go with Sabbath.

they say the first heavy song was the Troggs "wild thing".

then Vanilla Fudge's song..... somebody help me here = brain freeze.
what was that song?????
 kenpoboy
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2009 3:43:28 PM
I think we need clarification from the OP. When I read "godfather of metal" I'm thinking "progenitor" or "predecessor", not the actual first metal band (Sabbath, IMHO). Which do you mean, OP? Predecessor or First Metal band?
 TOMic bomb
Msg: 52
Posted: 11/12/2009 6:24:21 PM
vanilla fudge - u keep me hangin on

was that it? i think so.
 Zoso2011
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2009 8:36:17 PM
The subject is what man or band is the godfather of heavy metal. So bands like the Kinks with 'You Really Got Me' and The Beatles with 'Helter Skelter' are excluded.
I don't think Deep Purple were heavy enough sounding in my opinion along with Blue Cheer. Led Zeppelin, half of their music is acoustic. I would hardly say they were heavy metal. Budgie didn't release their album until '71. Black Sabbath was already coming out with their second album by then. Without question in my opinion and it seems in most other's opinions as well that Black Sabbath are the Godfathers of Heavy Metal though nowadays I certainly would not consider their music heavy anymore, more like hard rock. But they were there first and started the whole doom thing.
 jezdrummer
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2009 7:15:55 PM
the GODFATHER of metal ... RICHARD WAGNER!!!!!!! .. or gustav holst .. seriously .. listen to mars bringer of war or ride of the valkeries and tell me that is not brutal

i could put a metal drum beat over them in no time.

any way .. i'd probably say zep was ALMOST there ... but to me it came to it's 1st complete form with sabbath and evolved from there and kept getting heavier
 Ska_Voovie
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2010 4:16:37 PM
if by 'godfather' you mean - who started it - this is generally considered the first 'metal' recording --- The Kinks , you really got me --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvyDWGF290M

why ???? because Ray[?] Davis cut the speakers up to get the 'fuzzy' sound ! 64/65

about a year before Wild Thing by the Troggs

and that is about the limit of my knowledge of 'metal' - soul/reggae/mod stuff fer me chaps !!
 Paulmur077
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/27/2010 11:32:33 AM
Well, techincally the first heavy metal band was Steppenwolf. The term "heavy metal" was coined by William Burroughs to describe their music.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2010 8:02:23 PM

Well, techincally the first heavy metal band was Steppenwolf. The term "heavy metal" was coined by William Burroughs to describe their music.

Not exactly:

The expression first appears in print in William Burroughs' 1962 novel The Soft Machine. His character Uranian Willy is described as "the Heavy Metal Kid". Then again in Nova Express. "With their diseases and orgasm drugs and their sexless parasite life forms - Heavy Metal People of Uranus wrapped in cool blue mist of vaporized bank notes - And the Insect People of Minraud with metal music."

From the Phrase Finder website. I couldn't remember the exact quotes verbatim.
 Taztiger72
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2010 11:19:39 PM
No such thing - not 1 person made or developed Heavy Metal it was a natural progression from the late 60's British Heavy Blues and American Proto Punk. There is no true Origin - all forms of Rock Music can be traced back to the beginning of time - hell you can make the claim Richard Wagner invented Heavy Metal in the late 1800's!
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2010 8:36:47 PM
I think origin wise, you have to look back to Link Wray with his 1958 song Rumble. Then add elements of early Who, Kinks and Yardbirds such as the heavy feedback, the distorted barre chords and screaming choatic solos. Add the creative element of Jimi Hendrix on his first two albums along with the overbarring bombast of Blue Cheer (and lesser known bands like the Litter and the Deviants) and you end up with basically the first of what can be considered metal albums in the modern sense of the term, Sabbath's 1st and Deep Purple's In Rock (although there are virtually unknown heavy LPs like Sir Lord Baltimore and Stonehouse Creek from around that time that would be included if they were not the obscurities that they are). Zeppelin's first & second LPs could be considered to some extent, but technically they aren't completely heavy metal, as they have just as much if not more blues and ballads to go along with the heavy. Bonham's drums make a lot of it seem heavier than what it really is. Which ain't necessarily a bad thing!
 Taztiger72
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2010 11:08:00 PM

Blue Cheer predates sabbath but sabbath took the darker route where as blue cheer was just heavy.

Lets get things right - BLUE CHEER is not the Inventor of Heavy Metal - they are an American Hard Rock Band from California - Vincebus Erruptum was released in 1968 so was DEEP PURPLE - Shades of Deep Purple, IRON BUTTERFLY - Heavy, CREAM - Wheels of Fire.

Heavy Metal is not an American Invention it is a British Invention - go listen to KING CRIMSON's 21st Century Schizoid Man (1969) - that's real metal, riffs and lyrics. America is years behind the curve early on.

American Metal?
Aerosmith, Kiss, Foreigner, Van Halen, and Motley Crue??? This is all Hard Rock.

Sir Lord Baltimore, Blue Oyster Cult, Bang, Riot, Starz, Y&T, Metallica - this is Metal.

America has Hard Rock - Britain Has Heavy Metal - not until Metallica was their Parody

Some people on the other hand think that Bad Company, Whitesnake and other British Bands are American - duh.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2010 9:34:37 PM

Lets get things right - BLUE CHEER is not the Inventor of Heavy Metal - they are an American Hard Rock Band from California - Vincebus Erruptum was released in 1968 so was DEEP PURPLE - Shades of Deep Purple, IRON BUTTERFLY - Heavy, CREAM - Wheels of Fire.

Out of all the stuff you listed, Blue Cheer is the closest to metal you could get in 1968. Iron Butterfly is a close second, but they were more psych than metal, Deep Purple didn't get close to metal until "In Rock" in 1970, and Cream was hard blues rock. I agree they didn't invent it, but they were definetly in the chain of events, and after Vincebus Eruptum they strayed further and further from that sound with each passing album.

Heavy Metal is not an American Invention it is a British Invention -

I'd say they have more to do with it's evolution that America, but there are bands from both that share responsibility. U.S. garage & psych bands have helped, maybe not to the extent of bands like the Kinks, the Who and the Yardbirds, but there are plenty of influences to be found amongst them. Check out the Monks, Lollipop Shoppe, Mc5, or Autosalvage for proof. And bands from even further reaches such as Germany and Austrailia had some input.

go listen to KING CRIMSON's 21st Century Schizoid Man (1969) - that's real metal, riffs and lyrics. America is years behind the curve early on.

I really wouldn't call it metal per se, and by listening to the rest of the album, you can't really say Crimson had much influence on metal. They were progressive, and although there were a lot of prog bands who were heavier than that (especially German prog bands, many whom could wipe the foor with Crimson, as far as a heaviness aspect is concerned), it wasn't the direction they or people/bands influenced by them were striving for. Lots of bands have a few songs that could be considered metal but really can't be lumped into that genre because of it.

American Metal?
Aerosmith, Kiss, Foreigner, Van Halen, and Motley Crue??? This is all Hard Rock.

Well you are talking a bit later in the game, but I agree, except Van Halen were pretty much metal, except for a few songs, at least up until Diver Down. The same argument could be said for Metallica up until the Black Album. But really this is straying far from the topic at hand, which is asking people's opinions of who is the Godfather of HM.
I must ask, where did you ever hear anyone call Foreigner metal? It's a even a stretch to call them hard rock at times, even early on.

Sir Lord Baltimore, Blue Oyster Cult, Bang, Riot, Starz, Y&T, Metallica - this is Metal.

I would catagorize BOC, Bang & Starz as hard rock, at best. BOC live were possibly considered metal but their studio albums at least up until Cultosuarus Erectus were hardly metal affairs (they are all great albums--but that has nothing to do with the point of the thread). How can you consider Kiss hard rock and Starz not the same? Their sound (Starz) was virtually a clone of Kiss.

America has Hard Rock - Britain Has Heavy Metal - not until Metallica was their Parody

I'd have to say you are being biased there. America had as many metal bands as the UK, but there is no argument that the NWOBHM was much more responsible for the direction of metal into the 80's. This is pointless in regards to the thread. It could also be said that many of the hardest bands of the NWOBHM were as (if not more) influenced by American punk rock as they were any previous metal, but it still doesn't shed any insight on what bands/individuals are responsible for the genre at ground zero. But if you go back and read articles on many of the bands who emerged at this time and are asked their influences, you are going to see Blue Cheer repeatedly listed among them, if fact, so much so, that around this time the Vincebus Eruptum line up of Blue Cheer reunited and began recording and touring again.

Some people on the other hand think that Bad Company, Whitesnake and other British Bands are American - duh.

What difference does this make in respect to anything? Many British singers don't sound British when they sing, but why would a casual listener care where they are from anyways? Besides, Bad Company weren't metal and Whitesnake barely is (I'd say they were hard rock myself).
 Taztiger72
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2010 9:56:47 PM
It's like who invented Thrash?

I could say Black Sabbath or Budgie in 75, Motorhead in 78, Diamond Head in 80 or Venom in 81, or even The Stooges in 73!

Proof:
1. Black Sabbath - Sabotage - Song: Symptom of the Universe (1975)
2. Budgie - Bandolier - Song: Napoleon Bona-Part I/II (1975)
3. Motorhead - Overkill - Song: Overkill (1978)
4. Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations (1980)
5. Venom - Welcome to Hell (1981)
or 6. The Stooges - Raw Power (1973)

So the answer is here - the 1st True Thrash Band was Venom

We can do the same thing for Metal - but the 1st True Metal Band - Black Sabbath - but they didn't invent it - it already existed.
 Hippiekinkster
Msg: 80
Posted: 5/5/2010 12:39:36 PM
Finally, on pg. 3, Lord Summerisle points out "Kick Out the Jams" by the MC5.

Exactly right.

I'd also add the Monks, even though they had a banjo player. There are a few cuts from the "Nuggets" collection of garage/proto-punk bands from the early and mid-60s that would qualify, IMO.
 zipdy
Msg: 82
Posted: 5/11/2010 8:17:31 PM
according to rolling stone magazine the first heavy metal song was the Trogg's Wild Thing and some say Vanilla Fudge's You Keep Me Hangin On.

there was a group in 1967 called Aorta and they were heavy but i might classify them as acid rock overall. guess i can't think of anyone but Sabbath as true metal pioneers.
 good_catch77
Msg: 90
Posted: 11/20/2010 9:53:17 PM
I agree that the term "godfather" isn't so much someone who invented metal. As much as someone whom brought it mainstream.

Black Sabbath ~ I remember hearing them for the 1st time when I was a wrestling fan, with the Road Warriors intro music being Iron Man. I still love that song to this day. One of the greatest riffs ever. Sabbath has had a great career and two of the top metal voices as there vocalists. Ozzy Ozborne and Ronnie James Dio (RIP).

Also a little known fact that in the early to mid 80's one of the former members of Deep Purple was the the lead singer of Black Sabbath, his name Ian Gillan. To replace Ronnie James Dio. But Tony thought he sounded too bluesy for the 80's version of Sabbath...

I know my Black Sabbath history being my top fav Metal Bands of all time. I can still put on a album and it still sounds great to me even after a 100 times. My fav Sabbath albums are surprisingly the two live ones

Live Evil with Ronnie James Dio and Reunion with Ozzy. Two unique sounding albums that have stood the test of times.
 Email Tom Now
Msg: 93
Posted: 12/3/2010 5:22:10 PM
msg 105....

" Heavy Metal is a form that has evolved since the dawn of time ...."

ok, then the answer is OGG, the Mighty Hunter, circa 9000 BC, beating on his heavy metal drums to scare animals into a sunken pit for dinner.

ARE YOU SATISFIED NOW????????

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > What man or band is the Godfather of Heavy Metal? Let the debate begin!