Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Lactose Intolerance?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 littlelynx
Msg: 1
Lactose Intolerance?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I think that I have developed an intolerance to lactose. This is odd b/c I have never had a problem before, but over the last week I have had constant stomach aches thoughout the days, and have been woken up at night from pains.
I figured out just today that it must be dairy. I consistantly eat ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese, and other cheeses.
I'm bummed b/c I love dairy. But these tummy aches are awful.
I guess I will see if they cease now that I am cutting dairy out.
Is it very odd for me to develop this later in life?
I am Asian and know that many Asian's are lactose intolerant. My sister claims she developed this later in life as well. Has anyone else discovered this happen to them?
 zarathustra00
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Lactose Intolerance?
Posted: 10/27/2009 12:50:17 PM
Yep. Happened to me... in my mid 20's. Though I grew up drinking tons of milk.
On the bright side... eating a litre of ice cream is like a cleansing.
 physostegia
Msg: 3
Lactose Intolerance?
Posted: 11/10/2009 4:52:25 PM
Get a good probiotic at the health food store. Preferably one that has multiple different strains of bacteria. Your lactose intolerance will be cured. Worked on me.
 physostegia
Msg: 4
Lactose Intolerance?
Posted: 11/10/2009 5:47:55 PM
Ive tried dairy many times since then "without the medicine" (probiotics) and can pound milk now or any dairy for that matter without problems.

Prior to the months of probiotic supplementation, I didnt respond well to milk, yogurt, or cheese. When I was younger though, I had milk every day without issues.

Everyone will respond differently to a supplement. Ive taken enough of them(supplements) to realize this. What I can say is that they worked for me and worked very well. So outside of the reports, the googles, the studies, etc.... give them a shot. They offer many other health benefits as well.
 smartypants24
Msg: 5
Lactose Intolerance?
Posted: 11/10/2009 6:57:59 PM
I agree with physostegia here...I was having similar problems every time I ate ANYTHING for weeks...after just 2 days of taking an acidofilus/bifidus supplement 3 times a day, I feel sooo much better...I went with the Natural Factors brand (5million live bacteria strength)...give it a try...its something that's naturally occurring in your body anyways, so unless you react to something else in the supplement, you have nothing to lose, and you might just solve your problem (also, I recommend you do some research on intestinal flora, and what different combinations of of them can feel like...it really opened my eyes!)
 physostegia
Msg: 6
Lactose Intolerance?
Posted: 11/10/2009 9:23:47 PM
Lol HO2... a real doctor did suggest the probiotics....and they solved the problem. ...for me.

"Medical words and tests" also stated a lot of facts about some of the many other supplements I have used in my life time....and had no effect....and before you speak, multiple blood and urine tests were taken during the process over a period of time.

I'll speak for myself and any other person that has the intolerance...it plain out sucks. Unless you have the issue or have used probiotics(you havnt stated so), your banter is moot. It's a safe alternative that can help the problem immensely. I'll eat some cheese to that!
 physostegia
Msg: 7
Lactose Intolerance?
Posted: 11/11/2009 5:56:23 PM
Lol... H2o ..sing it to the choir.
 physostegia
Msg: 8
Lactose Intolerance?
Posted: 11/11/2009 8:58:21 PM
H20, the only thing I need to know and am concerned about is that it worked for me..and...well....it worked for me.

It's highly unlikely that anyone is going to go have blood tests to see how much of whatever they consume is actually being utilized...unless they have a severe problem.

I could do some searching to answer your question but why? I don't really care.

If someone can use probiotics and reap the benefits that they have to offer, then that's a plus. I'd take "not utilizing milk" over not having the gas or pains any day. Besides my dairy intake is limited depending on my work out schedule. Try giving them a chance, Ive heard they may aid in losing a few pounds, just saying.
 kpooks
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Lactose Intolerance?
Posted: 11/12/2009 8:28:14 AM
Never had tummy aches from lactose (my stomach is cast-iron), but GOD--the gaseous aftermath the stuff produces in my colon--PHEW!!! Gave it up, even Silk (soy milk).

Probably not odd at all to develop this later in life. Everything rears its ugly head later in life.

I guess find food substitutes!

Also, get your stomach checked by a physician. Not to alarm you, but this might be a sign of an ulcer, early stage of cancer or some other malady.
 A_wild _rose
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Lactose Intolerance?
Posted: 11/13/2009 11:06:26 PM
I am lactose intolerant as are my daughters. So formulas, when they were not breast fed were out of the question and the soy formula well it tasted like ca-ca. No way was I feeding that stuff to my kids. The doctor suggested that I try feeding them goats milk.
It seemed to work for them and me as well. We still drink goats milk with no problems but anything else dairy, as in cow,well it causes cramping etc. You might try it tastes ok.
 RandomScause
Msg: 11
Lactose Intolerance?
Posted: 9/8/2011 12:35:32 AM
OP, you ARE Asian, after all.

I am lactose intolerant, too, and proud of it.

I can eat a little, sporadically, and not be bothered, or a lot, of ice cream, in one sitting, and have the runs all night.

But my uncle says that most cheeses and creams do not have lactose. I don't know why he says that, other than for him being a doctor, but since he told me, I never have problems with drinking cream. I used to buy lactose-free milk, bloody expensive, and haul it home, but now I buy a pint of 1o% cream, and it lasts the same time as a two-litre (two quart) carton of milk. In my area, the cream is $2 to $3, and the milk, lactose free, upwards of $6 for two litres. A very small amount of cream does the same as a large amount of milk. In coffee. For cereal, I normally dilute it with plain water, and that mixture tastes like milk. Ditto for cooking, when a recipe calls for milk.

And it's easier to haul a pint of cream home every three days than a two-litre carton of useless milk that runs throgh you like grains of sand or fishes through your fingers on a balmy Sunday morning on the beach.
 icboobs
Msg: 12
Lactose Intolerance?
Posted: 9/14/2011 10:06:20 AM
I never knew that many Asian's were lactose intolerant, but then again I have never really been around Asians. I remember going to K-12 schools and there only being 1-2 Asians in the entire school.

I myself, am half-Asian, half-Caucasian. As a kid, I drank a lot of milk. I would gulp cup after cup after cup. I would drink nearly a gallon every day. One day, when I was around 13 years old, I was in the car with my parents after drinking 1-2 cups at home earlier in the day. My stomach started to feel funny. We then walked around a flea market and the queasiness was overwhelming. I tried to tell my mom that something was wrong, but didn't make it. I passed out. When I woke up, I was lying on the floor crapping my pants. I must have dumped 2 bucket fulls. My parents helped me leave the flea market, and I walked next door to the McDonalds, where I emptied more and there were heaps full of soft cream doo doo all over the floor. My parents left to buy me some jogging pants at Walmart, then I wiped myself down and put on the new pants.

Then on a regular basis I would start having problems at school. In French class I would feel that dizziness and queasiness again, and I would quickly leave the classroom and go to the restroom where I almost passed out again. Glancing in the mirror, I would notice that my face was pale white. I would be on that toilet in pain, crunching my stomach for 30 minutes, and I would need to use the bathroom 2-3 times before it was finally out of my system and I felt alright again.

I experienced this for the past 20 years, whenever I drank milk. I have concluded, although undiagnosed by any doctors, that I must be lactose intolerant. Milk makes me sick. Period. I, however, can still eat some diary products. I can eat 1-2 grilled cheese sandwiches, yogurt, and some icecream. I probably should use nondairy milk in my mac n cheese, but I usually use the smallest bit of powdered diary milk in it. If I use too much, my stomach start to cramp up and it works as a laxative.

I heard soy milk is good for people who are lactose intolerant, but I recently had some rice milk and it is so much tastier and doesn't need to be refrigerated. It's the ultimate thing to drink and use if you are lactose intolerant. It comes in those little carboard containers like those fruit punch ones you drank as a kid, and you take the straw from the side and poke it in the hole. I drank this rice milk for many months and used it with cereal. It taste better than the real thing.

Those other posters are right. Going to the doctor would be the smartest thing. That way you have scientific proof instead of speculation. I hope that you benefited from me sharing my experiences, but then again you posted this 2 years ago, so I'm sure this subject doesn't interest you much anymore. Take care.
 chemosaby
Msg: 13
Lactose Intolerance?
Posted: 12/26/2011 5:48:12 PM
I switched to goats milk. Goats milk dogests in 20 minutes, cows milk can take 24 hours. That alone should be reason for concern. 24 hours to digest, surley it rancid by then. Not wonder you'd feel ill. Personally, I blame vaccines. They may get all type of glory like all for profit pharmaceuticals, but they get little critical study.
 satx78218
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Lactose Intolerance?
Posted: 12/28/2011 7:24:32 AM
Industrial/processed dairy food-like substances are crap. Nobody needs them.
 chemosaby
Msg: 15
Lactose Intolerance?
Posted: 1/3/2012 2:19:01 PM
In my case I have food allergies to grasses like wheat, cane sugar and banana (a member of the grass family). Tries lactose free cow's milk, but it still bothered me. With goat milk, no issues. Its about a certain protein, and goat protein must be different. I know it s smaller. Maybe that helps digestion.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 16
Lactose Intolerance?
Posted: 1/8/2012 8:11:18 PM
Please keep in mind everyone, that lactose and casein are two different things, and both can cause digestive issues from dairy.

If one is simply lactose intolerant, they can handle things like heavy cream, and aged cheeses, that are naturally low in lactose- lactose being the sugar in milk. However, someone who is allergic/intolerant to casein, a protein from milk, cannot have any dairy whatsoever- and many 'artificial cheeses' still use casein.

The Specific Carbohydrate diet is a gluten free low lactose diet, while many others follow a gluten-free & casein free diet. Two very different diets because they're avoiding two different aspects of dairy. And for many people, lactose intolerance is a result of other problems in the gut, so that if you address those problems, the body is better able to digest lactose.

(Khalidah, if you look at the nutritional info on plain unsweetened yogurt, you'll see there's still a fair bit of sugar- it's lactose. Granted, the bacteria does feed on the lactose, but if it's all gone, then you have cheese, instead of yogurt. Usually, the higher the fat content of a yogurt, the less lactose, as the more fat in milk, the less lactose)
 A_Gent
Msg: 17
Lactose Intolerance?
Posted: 1/17/2012 7:38:26 AM
Lactose intolerance...

Life is like a horse, parts of it stink.
 PinkZombies
Msg: 18
Lactose Intolerance?
Posted: 1/21/2012 12:11:56 AM
Lactose Intolerance... gosh me, too. It took me a long time to figure it out, as in years. I dearly miss ice cream, all the great varieties of cheeses and, most of all, pizza and lasagna. I don't really miss cow's milk-- I gave that up long ago and it was nasty anyway. Almond milk is better and contains twice the calcium of cow's milk.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 19
Lactose Intolerance?
Posted: 1/27/2012 4:26:29 AM
You may not be intolerant.

You may just be combining it with other foods that mixed with it are not digesting in the correct order causing bloating or discomfort.

Try it alone and not with or right after a meal.
The amount of digestive enzymes we make change over the years.

Never mix dairy with fruit/grains..one example.
I won't mix dairy at the same meal with anything but a salad or veggies or dairy with nuts.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Lactose Intolerance?