Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > What's the upside to being over 50 and single      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 2
What's the upside to being over 50 and singlePage 1 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
aww sugar life is simple...at 50 at 40 at 30...wanting someone in your life and not finding the right person can wear you down...but still better than being shackled with the wrong person!
 qnd
Msg: 5
What's the upside to being over 50 and single
Posted: 10/31/2009 11:17:22 PM
Not living with someone who is bipolar is nice - I don't have to hide knives and skillets every 28 days. The nice part about being single -- and dating -- at an older age is that by now, peoples' personality flaws, behavioral quirks, and mental illnesses have manifested themselves.
 Ron9
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/1/2009 12:37:19 AM
No one giving you condescending looks.

Well my cat does but ..... other than him no one.

You can buy all the expensive sports cars you want (video games).

You can eat your own cooking (and soon get sick of it).

You can tOOt and no one cares.

You can talk to other girls if you want.

You can have sex anytime you want (the internet goes 24/7)

You can scope out chicks - without any guilt.

You can sleep in the middle of your king size bed.

No one ask you "what is for dinner" (except you asking yourself)

Boy ..... I could list a hundred upsides.

(yes I was married most of my life)
 kornbluth
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2009 2:34:54 AM

Admitting that No Company is Better than Bad Company.
 afixerupper
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2009 5:16:29 AM
No surprises at the bank, except my own mess ups.
 texasbaby
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2009 7:20:19 AM
I will never again have to go down the tampon isle in the grocery store!
I can sleep in the center of the bed and leave the TV on, if I want to.
In the morning no one says ~ Do you know you snore?
tb
 Luvlime
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/1/2009 7:31:01 AM
Being positive and happy, regardless of age, will bring you an abundance of good things in your life. Law of Attraction. Be happy with yourself, and others will see what a wonderful person you truly are!
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 35
Posted: 11/1/2009 8:50:57 AM
My house is clean.
Or my house is messy...

...Oh how I relate. Right now my house is messy.

As it turned out I recieved a reprieve from babysitting so I was able to attend my "Monster Mash" after all last night. So after handing out candies I quickly got ready and headed out to meet friends. As it turned out, I had a blast. My friend Frank (Frankenstein) and I cleaned up at pool. I didn't get home till the wee hours. I laughed till it hurt, haven't done that in a while.
And I didn't have to worry about looking after anyone who had too much to drink or leaving early because of it.

btw...another upside to being single....having the whole bed to myself.
Another downside...having the whole bed to myself

OP, the long and the short of it is there are many, many upsides to being single at any age. But there are downsides too, as I'm sure you and others have discovered by now.
Otherwise we wouldn't be here right?

Just thought of another upside to being single...staying in my jammies for however long I want...
Oh oh.... *light bulb moment* I just had a thought..... how nice it would be to "not be in my jammies" *wink*

...maeflowers
 moraima
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2009 8:52:03 AM
"when you go to bed at night, wake up in the morning, have nobody to share that great news you got today, do things alone, be alone, you remember why it sucks to be alone. Give me a good women anyday....I'll put up with the other stuff."

"Putting up with the other stuff" is a hint that the real issue in that statement is
co dependency.

"Most of you sound like you got out of a bad relationship but there are some of us that had good/great relationships with people that encouraged us, loved us, treated us with care and respect, enjoyed doing things together and having seperate interests. "

Because we have had that we realize that what we had was one in a million or two. After we spend a few years in datingland, we realize the true value of what we had, and realize too that we won't accept anything less and end up in a bad relationship.

I don't get what the issue is with being single and having to try to be happy. Some of us are very happy, and won't/couldn't wake up in the morning with any one less than what we deserve to share our lives with. Having had real love, we learned the true value of love, and won't be accepting/pretending that we have found "the One" again.

Someone said to me years ago, "at least you had real love even if you had to go through being widowed. Most people never get a death do you part real love that stood the test of time". That person was right.

It has nothing to do with being willing to risk. Nothing to do with having to be with someone because we can't stand being single because we have to be part of a couple or we figure we don't measure up. It has to do with true happiness that comes from inside, and the recognition that if love isn't real, it isn't worth our time.
 ForumFilly
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/1/2009 10:20:23 AM
I would much rather be 50 (or any age, for that matter) and single than be in a bad relationship. There is nothing worse than being in a relationship where you are miserable. It's much more lonely than being single.

When you are single you can do what you want when you want. You have no one to whom you have to answer. If you don't want to make dinner, you don't have to do so. If you decide you don't feel like changing the bed sheets, don't change them. If you want to buy a new sofa in bright red, go for it! You don't have to negotiate and compromise with anyone about what you do or don't do.

Sure, being single can be lonely. There maybe things you'd like to share with a loving partner. There are pros and cons on both sides and neither state is 'better' than the other. Just different.
 Miss W
Msg: 44
Posted: 11/1/2009 7:49:53 PM
I will be 50 in a week and am enjoying this thread and am resonating with many of the comments. I'm particularly happy about being able to say to those with agendas that I do not wish to buy into or who try to change me.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 47
Posted: 11/1/2009 9:09:59 PM

]You have misread, misinterpreted my comment. A good reason for why I try to stay away from people who don't get sarcasm. I should not have responded to your thread. The true nastiness and bitterness is in your response which is a very personal attack on me....based on nothing more than that you didn't get my sense of humor.

...OP in defense of ismene...She is somewhat like me in that we seem to share the same dry sense of humour that not everyone gets. I knew she mean't no harm in her comment just by the little emoticon she used. That's the problem with the written word...it sometimes comes across as harsh when it is not mean't to be.

...maeflowers
 Rythmn
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2009 2:40:43 AM
once you pass 50, you have ten more years to be 60. at 61, having a pretty good idea of my plusses, my minuses, what i want and with little time to waste-- i look better at this age, feel better, am dating more and honing in-- slowly but surely. at 50, if you "believe", you can be a bit more disciplined and not be distracted by the wrong people for the wrong reasons. you can begin to believe in yourself and spend more time on yourself, versus work, kids, et al. well, it actually took "me" getting to the later 50's to get it together. but then again, not many 50 years olds adopt teens and first become a mom at that age!

as for the rest, i was always pretty much my own person. however, this time around, i am less pushed to rush out, if i want to stay home, because i know that when i am ready, the world has a lot in it for me. i think too many people give up too fast and too soon. again, w/o hormone replacement, i think i'd never leave the couch either!

i tell my kids and i've said it here before, that they have a good 40 years left, before they need to worry about dates, et al. the first part of life is about work, service and education. the last part of life, is about applying what you've worked for, getting a little service back at ya and learning more about "good" relationships.
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/2/2009 6:38:28 AM
"The nice part about being single -- and dating -- at an older age is that by now, people's personality flaws, behavioral quirs, and mental illnesses have manifested themselves."

Wow! I couldn't agree more! Makes it much easier to separate the wheat (very small pile) from the chaff (huge ass pile!)
 rearguard*2
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2009 8:08:06 AM
If there is an upside to being single at any age, why are dating sites such a huge success? If life is so great on your own, why waste it looking for a partner?

Actually, being single has a lot of advantages, but not being single appears to have more for some reason.
 moraima
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2009 10:02:13 AM
"they wouldn't be here seeking someone to share life with.'

Many of us, me included aren't here seeking to share our lives.
 MondoVman
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2009 12:55:50 PM
One upside of being 50+ is continuing to be "true to myself" (To thine own self be true).

I am working on ignoring and forgiving those (and I mean NO ONE in particular) who insist on writing they are plum sick & tired of or worried about others' choices and behaviors such as doing nothing, working hard, gushing about what they like, and a million other choices/decisions/acts of free will.

It's so easy for ANY ONE to should others on a forum, to write it's better that yous, to write yous don't belong/shouldn't be here ... so there! Actually, it's juvenile.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 63
Posted: 11/2/2009 3:01:50 PM
Me? I have a basket full of dried sow's ears, and I'm looking for the nearest silk-purse making class. . . .

damassteel
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2009 3:21:10 PM
I LOVE being single. As in not married. I've got a GF, but NO living together, with the possible exception of truly dire circumtances.
Without being redunant, freedom is the BEST thing about it. After my wife's passing it was lonely at first, but I quickly got my @$$ back into the swing of things. I won't make any lists as I can't add a thing that hasn't been mentioned..but FREEDOM...It's a beautiful thing!
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 65
Posted: 11/2/2009 3:25:58 PM
FREEDOM'S just another word for nothing left to lose. . . . Bobby McGee's mate said, lol!

moraima
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2009 5:04:35 PM
"I suspect most people who are so happy with their freedom would give it up pretty quickly if the 'right' person came along."

Provided he lives at his place, and doesn't want to live at mine, and doesn't give me a hard time when I leave for 6 months a year in Cuba. Otherwise, see you.

Better be prepared to not sleep in the same room when we have sleep overs etc. etc.

Sapphireeyes
Msg: 67
Posted: 11/2/2009 5:06:49 PM
The best thing about being over 50 and single...I have the chance to met that special someone and the knowledge of all my prior mistakes and lifes experiences to make sure that the life we will have together will be a good long happy one!
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 68
Posted: 11/2/2009 5:07:55 PM
^^^Thank you mae. What a true lady, such class.

...You're welcome.

FREEDOM'S just another word for nothing left to lose.

I suspect most people who are so happy with their freedom would give it up pretty quickly if the 'right' person came along.

And I suspect you would be right....to a certain degree. I'm pretty firm in not wanting to get married again but I woul not hesitate to enter into an exclusive, monogamous relationship with the right fella.

...maeflowers
 cotter
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2009 5:10:50 PM
I don't have to share my bathroom with anyone? Okay, that's not entirely true at the moment, because I'm living in transition at the time at my sister and brother-in-law. I share a bathroom with an 18 month old toddler (their little grandson) from time to time ... OMG he's sooooo cute ... I just love babies .. :love:

Let's see ...
Being over 50 and single and not feeling like it ... is an upside.

Being over 50 and single with no one to go home to at night ... is a downside.

Being over 50 and single and ... Oh what the Hell ... at the moment, the only upside I can find right now is "not feeling like it". Other than that ... (although I know there any number of perfectly good reasons for feeling good about being single and over 50) I really don't know that I'd rather be single but for sure I wouldn't want to be with someone just because I don't prefer to be single.

I'm not "settling" just so I have someone to go home to at night!!!

No, no, no!!!

I'm pretty firm in not wanting to get married again but I would not hesitate to enter into an exclusive, monogamous relationship with the right fella.
Ya ... what she said!!!
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 71
Posted: 11/2/2009 5:19:47 PM

So if you met the "right" one and you had been together for a couple years and he asked you to honor him by marrying him, you'd tell him no? Then if he said I really want this and he's made you very happy, you'd still say no? Would you break it off even or would it have to be the way you want it,,,

Just asking,,,

...Oh stop trying to complicate this you brat. I will be the first to let you know how it turns out should I meet the right fella and should he ask me to marry him...so stay tuned.

....maeflowers
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > What's the upside to being over 50 and single