Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Beauty and the inflitrated gene pool.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bassbob47
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Beauty and the inflitrated gene pool.Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Very deep, personally i like italian looking women
 Valpo26
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Beauty and the inflitrated gene pool.
Posted: 11/3/2009 7:16:22 AM
Facial symmetry?
I thought it was down to how close to the average people were. I remember hearing about an experiment (sorry, can't remember details) where a computer merged /morphed / combined photos so that the end product was an amalgam of all the input pictures, and then the subjects of the study were asked to rate the attractiveness. The average one generally got better ratings than the individual.

Anyway, it's all cultural. Some places believe Small feet are beautiful, leading to Foot binding, others that a long neck was hot, leading to neck rings.
 Jo van
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/3/2009 11:12:59 AM
I agree with what others have said about south american people being a mixture of genes, and this does often produce "attractive" people.
Actually wider gene pools tend to produce healthier offspring than smaller insular societies. Too much 'inbreeding' is bad! And increases the chances of genetic deficiencies.
Which may be why opposites attract, eg., I seem to be attracted by blondes, and I am dark.
But the perception of beauty, (leaving aside symmetry for a moment) is also a cultural thing.
The "English Rose" you describe, may well look hideous to a Somali man, or an Indian man or an Inuit, and vice versa for their idea of beauty.
And if you look at the ideas of beauty over time, (Old Paintings) you will see that our "ideals" also vary over time. It is very difficult to be 'subjective'
So I suppose I really think the opposite of the OP, That widening the gene pool produces healthier, and therefore by definition, more attractive women and men.
 Jo van
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/4/2009 1:51:37 AM

Do you think women from certain countries are more beautiful because their gene pool hasn't been as watered down as say the english and american?
for instance armenian women (look at the Kardashian clan)
brazilian women (look at Ana Beatriz Barros, Adriana Lima, Gisele Bundchen)
Those countries havent had quite the influx of people to water down their looks & we tend to be a nation of mutts now is it almost a natural happening of what the nazis wanted a superior race (if that race was based purely on looks).

I agree with the above poster OP, and you do seem to be under the impression that the Brazillian gene pool has not been "diluted" whereas in fact the opposite is true.
http://www.biomedexperts.com/Abstract.bme/12485193/Genetic_origins_in_a_South_American_clefting_population

Results suggest a strong Native American maternal contribution and a strong Caucasian (Spanish and Portuguese) paternal contribution to the population studied. The implications of this finding include the possibility of using admixture mapping approaches to this population.

This was from a DNA study of 217 subjects, so a fairly small sample, but makes the point. As I have said elsewhere, conquests, and the treating of female captives as "the spoils of war" and the eradication of large proportions of the indigenous male population (In this case, by the Spanish and Portugese) can change the gene pool very quickly, and for ever.
Brazilian women are indeed beautiful, but it's not because they are from a "pure undiluted" gene pool, it's because of the opposite.
Interestingly, terms such as "Race" are fast disappearing from scientific analysis, as it is an inaccurate paradigm. Being replaced by genetic admixture mapping, which reveals that very few populations are as "pure" as they (or the Nazis) would have liked to believe.
 ge_orge
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2009 4:18:05 AM
i cant believe ive just read this. are you serious? "watered down"?

pretty racist if you ask me.

and wrong....

look how beautiful mixed race people are.
 Strider886
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2011 7:20:19 AM
Our idea of beauty or attractiveness is based purely upon social and media influence.

We want what other people have/want.
We do as other people do/want to do.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/26/2011 4:47:51 PM
Actually, while we in America do appreciate a pure bread, on the other hand, the mixed race has a profound beauty. And in fact, the Kardashians are not pure bread:

Birth Name: Kimberly Noel Kardashian
Birth Place: Los Angeles, California, USA
Date of Birth: October 21, 1980
What Race or Ethnicity?: Armenian, Scottish and Dutch

I've found women all over the world of great beauty. I've been to London and I find women there of great beauty.

Beauty itself is both nature and nurture in my opinion and I say this because it is common to find great beauty in other cultures. Yet, at the same time there are certain attributes that one's own classification will identify with closely due to genetics.

EDIT:
Well East Coast girls are hip
I really dig those styles they wear
And the Sothern Girls the way they talk
They knock when I'm down there.
The midwest farmers daughters really make you feel alright...

Sorry couldn't resist.. :roll:
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Beauty and the inflitrated gene pool.