Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Strange hobbies/collections      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jokemaker
Msg: 2
Strange hobbies/collectionsPage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I used to collect used firework shrapnel as a kid. Then my dad got sick of it and threw away all my pieces when I was at school.
 smartypants24
Msg: 3
Strange hobbies/collections
Posted: 11/8/2009 9:26:02 PM
I have a small collection of obscure kids toys I find at dollar stores and value village...I don't add to it anymore, I even downsized a little, but I still have a few things that were just too cute to ditch
 FL CO
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2009 10:02:39 PM
While its not really strange, its definately not something very common today, but I collect firearms. I've got everything from single shot .22 rifles that is over 70 years old to an AR15 with some upgrades done to it. Old cowboy style revolvers to 1911s, to classic S&Ws to service pistols. A couple shot guns too. I've got a collection of all different kinds of ammo as well that I plan on making a ncie display board for.
 yna6
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/9/2009 6:56:49 AM
Used to have a collection of old Rx drugs from the 50's and before. Found a bunch of stuff in the basement of what was a pharmacy. I was going to mount them in a shadowbox or two, then decided that since there was going to be little ones around, to ditch them. No use of even setting up the possibility of an accident.
I like collection unusual things. I jave a lighter form about WW1 that appears to be made from a brass shellcasing. Often these things were recycled during WW2, so I am glad I found this one and tucked it away. It does have some kind of inscription on it, but I've never cleaned it up, nor looked into it too much. It could probably be worked on a bit to get it working...but some SOB would probably lift it, so it is safe where it is.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/9/2009 7:05:10 AM
When I was a kid, I collected rocks...I must have had a ton of 'em...some would argue literally.

Needless to say, when the family moved, they stayed put.
 JWG86
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/9/2009 8:10:17 AM
Guns & Ammo, and they always go up in value
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2009 8:22:36 AM
People collect stamps, coins, thimbles, spoons, comic books and everything else imagineable. Why not jello paraphenalia?

Some of this stuff has real value, and some just curiosity value or sentimental value. Today's trash could be tomorrow's rare asset.
 justin_gf
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/9/2009 10:45:04 AM
Pens. They don't have to be collectable pens, just pens in general.
 nebula22
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/9/2009 10:56:29 AM
I had a huge collection of arrow-points and other stone tools as well as petrified wood..
My dad sold them to a collector when we moved to FLA...
I don't know what he got for them but I know that right now they would be worth $50,000 ...

There was stone hammers , Spear points , Hide scrappers and some Flint knives..

I spent several years finding these things in fields and creeks after it rained..
 FL CO
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2009 11:40:49 AM
^^^Stuff like that is really priceless. The time and the experiences of finding it all and the fact that its a piece of history. There's a small museam in Jax thats about southern history. They have a confederate sword there that was found when I guy was hiking through a swampy area near a battlefield. He had tripped over it because it was mostly buried and while cussing reached back to see what he had tripped over. To me thats a memory, because there had to have been many, many people that had stepped over it, not knowing that it was there. The one guy that trips and falls finds it
 Cebrhocabi
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/9/2009 1:19:54 PM
I collect obscure books on obscure topics. They can be hard to find.
 hard starboard
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2009 3:34:29 PM
I have a collection of Sony Betamax video-recorders and some other vintage electronics. I also have some large parabolic antennae in the backyard.

But I don't have a UFO shaped balloon.
 m14shooter
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2009 4:37:21 PM
I collect guns, quite a few of them. I tend to collect the military arms the most including machine guns and sound suppressors. Machine guns and silencers are legal to own in a lot of states before someone tells me I am breaking a law. I also load ammunition and am very proficient in it.

Go to photobucket and find user stiletto190 as I have a few pics there from time to time of what I play with.
 JWG86
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/9/2009 6:46:32 PM
Did you go the trust route, or what?
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/9/2009 7:24:18 PM
I collect kaleidoscopes.
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2009 9:26:35 PM
I actually have two friends who collect kaleidoscopes(The VERY expensive ones)! If I were to collect them, I would want those wonderful cheap ones that you used to be able to buy in the dimestores!
As for what I collect... I don't really consider it strange... I collect Dr Pepper signs/thermometers/ memorabilia from the 40s, 50s, and (primarily) 60s. I also collect buttons.. not just political, but ALL kinds of buttons. I believe I have close to 2,000, and probably more.
And, when I can find it, I pick up pieces of "weave ware"... I don't know if that's actually what it's called. I don't have a lot of it, and I certainly don't have a complete set.

Oh... I also collect dust!
 raxarsr
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2009 9:47:52 PM
i collect guns also....and ammo..........just about anything to do with hunting/shooting.........i also make powder horns and knives...and have a small knife collection.
i used to dig and collect old bottles.....but that kinda went to the wayside
 FL CO
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2009 10:12:12 PM

I collect guns, quite a few of them. I tend to collect the military arms the most including machine guns and sound suppressors. Machine guns and silencers are legal to own in a lot of states before someone tells me I am breaking a law. I also load ammunition and am very proficient in it.

Go to photobucket and find user stiletto190 as I have a few pics there from time to time of what I play with

I wish I had your bank account to be able to afford that. You probably have atleast a grand in tax stamps alone. I'd love to have an M16 and a few cans, but they're not in the budget right now. Realistically a can or two is probably all I'll ever get, unless I pick something up under the AOW with saves a good bit over a regular Class III (as I'm sure you know).

On a side note I have an uncle that is a military arms collector. His goal seems to be to own at least one of every firearm that has seen battle. Starting at the Civil War and working his way up. Mostly stuff from the WWs though. IIRC last time I talked to him he had around 240, which is quite a nice little collection.
 JWG86
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/9/2009 10:15:23 PM
M16's are rediculous in $$$. I mean, cool yes, but I would just buy an RDIAS or two.
 m14shooter
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2009 10:17:33 PM

Did you go the trust route, or what?

Trust is the best way to go unless you are a class II or III. Class II is the best way as you just make what you want. ATF is slow right now with tons of transfers going through but the trusts are coming back a lot faster.
 JWG86
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/9/2009 10:19:14 PM
Yeah, ATF is roughly 6 month wait currently. I looked into it when I was considering an M4S90 SBS, but decided just to get the regular M4S90 and trade the "cool factor" and maneuverability of the entry model for the extra 2 rounds and interchangeable chokes. Had an option to buy an LAPD over-run SBS M4S90 w/col stock. Awesome piece of hardware, but I didn't want to mess with the trust/form 4, etc.
 FL CO
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2009 10:19:27 PM
^^^I'd want it just for the lower. I'd set it up to be more modern. There's other stuff I'd want to but the M16 would probably be the most versatile.
 raxarsr
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2009 10:26:41 PM
years ago i knew and hung out with a class 3 collector..talk about fun......he had.lets see.....a schmiser...an m-3...a thompson....a sten and a ghwer 44

in the big stuff he had a 1919...a maxim.....an mg 34 and an mg42.......but the most fun was a 45-70 gatling.............he talked about getting a ma-duece.....but passed away before he realised that dream
 m14shooter
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2009 10:31:32 PM

I wish I had your bank account to be able to afford that. You probably have atleast a grand in tax stamps alone. I'd love to have an M16 and a few cans, but they're not in the budget right now. Realistically a can or two is probably all I'll ever get, unless I pick something up under the AOW with saves a good bit over a regular Class III (as I'm sure you know).

On a side note I have an uncle that is a military arms collector. His goal seems to be to own at least one of every firearm that has seen battle. Starting at the Civil War and working his way up. Mostly stuff from the WWs though. IIRC last time I talked to him he had around 240, which is quite a nice little collection.

Over 2K in stamps in the photo in the album, thats part of them. Best way is to get a FFl and then get a class II manufacturing license to go with it. Then you can make what you want to make. You can then make a M-16 for a grand, a MP-5 for $1500 and so on. A transferrable 16 is still over 10K and a MP5 is that and sometimes up to 15-20 K . Just looked at a dealer sample mini gin that is going for 40K and some of the mini gun parts kits are 40K and then another 15K for a housing casting. Looking at another M-14 right now and he wants 30K for it, they cost under $200 to make them back them.

Everyone used to laugh at me for buying all the machine guns, they aren't laughing now and they are all begging me to sell them one at a old days price, now I laugh.
 m14shooter
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2009 10:39:18 PM

M16's are rediculous in $$$. I mean, cool yes, but I would just buy an RDIAS or two.

A DIAS is going for 10K now and usually more. M-16's are still at 12-20 K. There was one at the small arms review last year for 10K and it was h gone before they opened the doors.

What pisses me off is that all the class III crap is in conflict with the second amendment, we shouldn't have to pay this kind of money for a guy. Class III licensing is infringing but then again I wouldn't have made money of them then.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Strange hobbies/collections