Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Prolapsed Disc in Lumbar Spine - Has anyone had surgery?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Con Ten Ted
Msg: 9
Prolapsed Disc in Lumbar Spine - Has anyone had surgery?Page 1 of 1    
Hi Nats .... having been the proud owner of two prolapsed disks in the lower lumber region since I was 25 ( now 55) .... my suggestion is to think long and hard before committing to surgery ... get lots of opinions ..... once its done, theres no undoing it and whatever results ... good or bad .... are there for life.
I've managed ... be it for better or worse .... without surgery by using pain meds and exersises ... and when desperate - a T.E.N.S. machine ( a Godsend when needed ...) and the odd visit to a Physiotherapist .....
Mind you, I'm not saying it dont hurt sometimes .... cause it sure as hell does - bad .... but, most of the time it is very tolerable and I have a good quality of life ....... I have noticed others that have taken the surgery route and have ended up with the same problems or even worse .... and, truthfully, some were better off too ... but its a gamble all the same and should be your absolute last resort.
Good luck ......
 InkyP
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Prolapsed Disc in Lumbar Spine - Has anyone had surgery?
Posted: 11/19/2009 3:51:26 PM
Yes, I had back surgery about 3 years ago. I had a disk explode at L-4 and herrinated at L-5. For 4 months I was on pain killers and Crown Royal and still could hardly walk without pain. After the surgery my surgon asked how I was walking with all the damage I had done. I went in on a Friday and was sent home on Saturday. After 5 months I was starting a workout routine. I now find that when I dont workout my back starts to bother me. I do yoga 3 times a week, run or aerobics 3 times a week and weight training 3 times a week.

My pain was gone 4 hours after surgery, well the back pain at least. I had a lot of cramping and spasms which did cause me pain but the more time after the surgery the less they became and now I only get them when I over train.

If the pain is always there and it takes your mental eneregy to not think about it, I would say get the surgery done. I did not realize how much I was thinking about not hurting or what my next move was so I would not hurt.

Good luck,

Inky
 urbanvenus
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Prolapsed Disc in Lumbar Spine - Has anyone had surgery?
Posted: 1/26/2010 1:45:28 PM
Im a certified rehab nurse. I work with a wide variety of patients. It's important that you ask your surgeon what the expected outcome will be for you and how many he/she has done. Also, make sure you have an intense plan for physical and occupational therapy. Make sure you do your "homework" that your therapists give you. Keep in mind that you may experience numbness, tingling and pain for awhile.

Ask your doctor about what nerves innervate the area being operated on so you are aware of potential side effects from the surgery.

I wish you well.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Prolapsed Disc in Lumbar Spine - Has anyone had surgery?