Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > MATCH.com V p.o.f      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Puppydog54
Msg: 2
MATCH.com V p.o.fPage 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I have had no experience with Match. But I can say that Yahoo is pretty much a waste of money. The women rarely respond to initial contacts. I have found much more success with POF... plus the forums are a blast! And the fact that it's free is a great plus!
 UltraFarkistan
Msg: 3
view profile
History
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/13/2009 4:51:14 PM
To answer your question,

1) They're not asking direction questions, they're asking general questions as a psychological profile.
2) As much as they do here. A lot more people lie on PoF. I find more people are honest on eHarmony as they have to pay.
3) True, but Dr. Warren is a psychologist. He's got 30 years behind him as a marriage counselor which give him more credibility then you or I or some smuck on PoF.

And honestly, just cause PoF is free it doesn't mean its better. I'm on here and on eHarmony.

There is a saying in Chinese which roughtly translates to "one unit of money, one unit of quality". PoF is free so there is a lot more jackasses, game players, psychos, etc. With some of the pay sites, the fact that you have to pay is an inherent shield against some craziness.
 Thaddal
Msg: 5
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/13/2009 4:58:47 PM
The only thing my old boss got from match .com was an eternal case of Herpe's...his date decided to tell him on the 4 th date after she slept with him.....guess that became a successful match.....
 OutMind
Msg: 6
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/13/2009 5:24:15 PM
Just my personal experience. When I was in match I could get about two to three dates A WEEK. All the women were rather good looking. Or at least on their photos. Hehehehe. Here. Well, one date every three months. Or less.

Most of the women in match had signed up for the free one month, so they were not interested in chatting, but in meeting someone. While here, most of the women I met, were angry, were jaded, or wanted to talk for half a year, get blood samples, credit reports, banks statements, and proof of income.

So, since I am not in the market, I am here in the forums.
 chrisofpa
Msg: 7
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/13/2009 5:29:34 PM
Right now, POF is working out well as an addition to meeting people in real-life(tm)

I have to agree with the poster who questions the accuracy of a matching algo. As they said, very few people are introspective enough to really know themselves.

POF works well for me because I live in a very densely populated area. In other words, there are plenty of fish within casting distance. I usually set the search to 8 miles and get more than enough people to write to.

I have noticed though that there seems to be a lot of people who come to POF expecting that the first person they meet will be their knight in shining armor, the love of their life, their Anthony to their Cleopatra etc. Yes, that can happen but I think that you need to keep an open mind, have fun and just be honest. Given that, I think POF is wonderful.
 stilesgirl
Msg: 8
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/13/2009 5:44:56 PM
I've had more success on POF, when I was on Match found it to be a bit boring, this place is quite the amusement and forums is a place one can learn alot ....also I like the POF meet and greet events its a no brainer for this girl...
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 10
view profile
History
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/13/2009 6:06:17 PM

With some of the pay sites, the fact that you have to pay is an inherent shield against some craziness.

it's also an inherent disincentive to maximize the chances of people getting together. then they and their payments leave the site.

bottom line is there's no substitute for numbers, and this site is the king of that realm.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 13
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/13/2009 6:47:42 PM
I've been on match, eHarmony (GAWD does it suck!), lavalife, yahoo, craigslist...I like PoF the best, because it's free, tons of people use it (so better odds) and it has the forum.

The other sites have their share of nutjobs, azzhats and decent people, just like PoF.
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 14
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/13/2009 6:57:45 PM
I've been on match, eHarmony (GAWD does it suck!), lavalife, yahoo, craigslist...I like PoF the best, because it's free, tons of people use it (so better odds) and it has the forum.

The other sites have their share of nutjobs, azzhats and decent people, just like PoF.

I'm kinda fussy that way I like getting them here for free.............
 Honeygaze
Msg: 15
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/13/2009 7:25:35 PM
I find that POF in a very subtle way guides you to search for those who may not otherwise come up in a standard search, say on Match. The profiles that march on top of your inbox, see someone interesting, click, brings you to a new line of people within 50 miles of them etc. This is a good thing! It automatically broadens my horizons. Love POF, and it's free. So you can come and go as you please - i.e., hide your profile, play around with pictures and headlines, whatever. Without feeling you're running out of time to get that bang for your buck.

Need I say it again POF hands down.

xo
 chrisofpa
Msg: 16
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/13/2009 10:03:46 PM

well if nobody charged any money, how would they continue to make a profit or to even exist?

A lot of the internet is based on an advertising revenue business model. IOW, they run pay per click ads or get paid per 1000 ads shown. Each ad on a page can generate something like 4 to 10 dollars per thousand views. So, figure a site gets a hundred thousand page views a day, multiply that by perhaps an average of 4 ads per page and you no longer have to worry about meeting the mortgage.
 chrisofpa
Msg: 17
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/13/2009 10:10:06 PM

The profiles that march on top of your inbox, see someone interesting, click, brings you to a new line of people within 50 miles of them etc.

I've found that whatever algo they are using for putting people in the 'you might also like' category seems to be pretty decent. However, I wish it would let you put more of a geographic filter on. 50 miles in rural Montana is not the same as 50 miles in the Philadelphia Metro area. I could really use the filter at 10 miles.

Also, I noticed that the 'you might also like' seems to be based on the demographics of the people you have clicked on recently. I might be wrong on that and have not actively tracked it but it seems to be the case.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 18
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/14/2009 3:07:35 AM
I've been on the pay sites and you know what? Most of the guys on the pay sites are also on POF. Why pay for rejection when I can get it for free? Besides, through the forums I've made some great friends. Wouldn't have met them on the pay sites.
 hotrodius
Msg: 21
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/14/2009 5:18:28 AM
Been on all of them and all the folks on here are on every where else and all of them have been there for a while i think P O F has been better than all the others.
 Svetlana Blue
Msg: 22
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/14/2009 5:54:21 AM
Match. com = You pay to meet ***holes POF= You don't pay to meet ***holes. That is my insight.
 spot4username
Msg: 23
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/14/2009 6:44:59 AM
Like some of the other posters I have had a profile at pretty much every dating site there is at some point or another. I currently have a match profile. I am a quarter of the way through my free 6 mos.

I have not met anyone from any of the dating sites. When I say not met I mean I have not had one single date in well over a year (maybe two). No coffee, dinner, drinks, walks in the park, etc.

I am not in a large area. I find that the same men message here and at match. They usually don't recall. They are just playing the numbers. Rather depressing to know they are just sending messages to members at whatever site they belong to without a thought behind them.

At this point I am just waiting for my match to expire and I hang out in the forums here.

*shrug*
 ForumFilly
Msg: 24
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/14/2009 10:22:09 AM
I tried a three month membership on Match and Yahoo a few years ago and I wasn't impressed at all. I have been much more satisfied with POF. I don't think paying to meet someone guarantees a better selection. In fact, I was approached by scammers on Match. I think they are more prevalent there because they figure that if a woman is paying to meet someone, she is more desperate and, therefore, an easier target. Just my rationale.

I have met some wonderful people on this site, both men and women, including the man in my life. I find a larger variety of people on here than on pay sites. Finances are too tight to be throwing money away in order to possibly meet someone for coffee. And to spend $58.42 (at current exchange rates) a month is ludicrous.
 swampbuggy1
Msg: 25
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/14/2009 12:56:21 PM
Ive been on match and i noticed it was loaded with old outdated profiles that the people no longer use and had no dates at all from that site. E Harmony sux too, the only people you can talk to (if your paid up) is your matches and no one else. Your matches end up being too old, too young, live too far, or you have nothing in common. Dr warren can say what he wants but you cant use science when it comes to matters of the heart. Think about this about pay sites: They cant collect money from you if they allow you to find your mate and delete your profile. I have done my homework and checked a lot of sites and pof is by far the best. Although its a pay site singlesnet is pretty good and you dont have to pay if you dont want to but you can only talk to paid memebers but Ive had several dates from that site.
 lateef7842
Msg: 27
view profile
History
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/14/2009 2:46:32 PM
I will be honest. And, I'm not trying to knock anyone on POF because I've met some pretty cool people here. Plus, because of the forums, POF is a lot more fun when I want to waste some time.

But, I found that I meet a better class of woman on Match than I've met on POF. Understand, that's as a whole and not on an individual basis. I'm just saying that I've met more of the kinds of women that I'd actually see myself with in the long term on Match. Most of the women I've met on there have themselves together. Here, not so much.

I think POF is more suited to dating. While, Match gives me more women I can really be interested in. I hate to say you get what you pay for, but maybe it has something to do with the rate they charge. Maybe, it's just me?

I enjoy both sites, but there is a difference.

Lateef
 lateef7842
Msg: 32
view profile
History
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/14/2009 5:40:36 PM

Lateef.... what site you are on means nothing. I was on Match... got sick of their exhorbitant fees and decided to come on here. I am the same person. And I noticed a lot of the same guys on there were on here anyway.

Point is... for a guy... why pay for rejection when you can get it here for free? LOL.

@tuffluv1984

Whether here or on Match, my rate of rejection is about the same. And, I do alright. It's just the women I meet here seem to be more of the "girls you date" type. Whereas, the women I meet on Match are more of the "girlfriend" material type.

Like I said, it may be just me and what I attract. Also, it may be different for you.

@PRETTYANDUNIQUE
Exactly! If a girl is still into partying, but I'm looking for something more serious, then all we can do is date. I'm not going to waste her time and mine trying to squeeze orange juice out of a an apple. She and I can be friends and hang out from time to time, but she's not what I want for something serious.

Lateef
 yourscooter62
Msg: 33
view profile
History
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/14/2009 6:06:26 PM
I signed up for a month on Match and whenever i IM any woman, well its take a number!!
I mean you do a search on women within 30 miles of u and see maybe 15 online, so u see the icon to IM them and if you try to IM them you get no response. Is it that i am ugly and not interesting? cause i get responses here alot! I don't know if my IM is just not working , i think it is cause i did get ONE response, but it seems they are all snobby. Maybe they are just more selective and have so many more high end guys. I don't know.
 yourscooter62
Msg: 34
view profile
History
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/14/2009 6:09:45 PM
Lateef is right, the women on match do have themselves together more than POF women..they have more requirements on Match for sure, if you do not have a degree and great job forget it...more down to earth women on POF...I did meet someone on datehookup.com and she was cool.
 Vannili
Msg: 35
view profile
History
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/14/2009 6:23:53 PM
I have had no experience with Match. But I can say that Yahoo is pretty much a waste of money. The women rarely respond to intial contacts. I have found much more success with POF...plus the forum is a blast! And the fact that it's free is a great plus!

I was at yahoo free for 3 months, if I have some contacts I can't respond to the guy unless I pay subscription,then I paid 80 if I am correct for 3 months ,most guy I encountered are professional con artist, I even recieved a letter from Negeria Africa that they want to buy some land here in the US but they want to know my ss,every thing about me ,I got scared that I cancelled my account.
American single is worst, and it is expensive ,they are always sending me an email of guys who wants to contact me that are no longer with the site.lol. I am happy on this site POF for the forum. I've met some decent guys here , but still I have not *click * with any one yet....

jeepwmn
Msg: 36
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/14/2009 7:10:10 PM
I have to say this site has worked better for me. .have had more men contacting me, as well as more dates than on match. There are good and bad sides to every site. .Match is more selective in who they match you up with. .pof doesn't have as many filters, I think. Of course, I love this site for its forums. .have to say that they're pretty entertaining and funny sometimes! It's great knowing that there are people out there who have the same questions/issues. I did try yahoo personals about a year ago, but no luck there. Tried Jdate as well (you don't have to be jewish to join). .thought why not? But nothing really resulted from that, either. I always keep coming back to this site.
 farscapeprincess
Msg: 37
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 11/14/2009 8:35:49 PM
I was a three month member on Match last year. I wasn't impressed. May have e-mailed a few people, but nothing came of it. eHarmony may work by sheer luck, imo. I don't think that questionnaiare is any guarantee of compatibility simply because well...aren't people proned to answer those questions the way they want others to see them. It doesn't guarantee that he/she is what he is portrayed through his answers to the questions. It's too expensive and for me, I prefer a fast-track approach to communication with someone and not the filtered communication.

POF is free and well, these forums are good entertainment.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > MATCH.com V p.o.f