Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > New Computer      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Unikshik
Msg: 1
view profile
History
New ComputerPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I would like to know... Which one is best the Intel or the AMD Anthlon cards? Is there a difference between the two? I am in the middle of deciding of buying a new computer since my old PC crashed. I use the PC's for music, pictures (photoshop), searching the web. Do you have any recommendations on what system to get? Also, I have the Verizon Internet Suite for Virus protection, any comments on that?... I think that by talking to so many different tech's at Verizon (I was having problems with the internet) and them telling me to do this and that my computer crashed. It is an old computer (5yo), so instead of repairing it might as well spend the money on something new... What do you think? and thanks for your input!!!
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 2
view profile
History
New Computer
Posted: 11/14/2009 10:10:25 AM
Intel holds the performance crown currently while AMD holds the value crown. Intel processors are faster then AMD processors in the highend category, but in the midrange and low-end cateogory AMD processors are generally faster and cost less. It all depends upon in the end what you are going to do with your pc and how much you are willing to spend. I mean yeah you can go out and buy say a 4 thousand dollar top ofthe line pc, but if you aren't going to take full advantage of all the features it has to offer then you will be wasting your money. That would be like buying a high performance sports car and never going past 65mph.
 Unikshik
Msg: 3
view profile
History
New Computer
Posted: 11/14/2009 12:19:39 PM
Thank you!... I completely understand what you are saying. I just want a computer fast enough to search the Web, do pictures with my Adobe photoshop, listen and download music, e-mails, play some games (not the heavy gaming stuff) etc...
 subtlecaffeine
Msg: 4
view profile
History
New Computer
Posted: 11/14/2009 2:41:22 PM
Regardless of what you get...make sure it's got ram. The biggest problem I see with PC performance is people skimp out on RAM. If the system comes with less than 3 gigs, don't buy it.

As far as the Verizon Internet Suite...don't use it. It's just bloated crap Verizon makes you think you're getting a great deal on. Most of that protection actually slows your system down by doing much more in the background than necessary. I've had sooo many people like...force me to install that stuff on their PC because Verizon/Comcast/whoever gave it to them....then they're constantly asking me why the performance of their PC went down. You can get better AV protection that takes up less resources for free (Avast Home Edition).
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 5
view profile
History
New Computer
Posted: 11/14/2009 3:22:26 PM
How much money are you willing to spend is the next question. For what you are wanting I really don't see a need for you to spend over 700 dollars. There are some great deals going around where you can buy good performance pc's for a lot less then they were just a month ago, by going to sites like livehotdeals.com

HP has a lot of online coupons there where you can save 50 dollars or more on some of their pc's by using online coupon codes from livehotdeals.com when you buy a pc from their website.

Here is one for example, I got it from the livehotdeals.com website. It was $579, now its marked all the way down to $449.98 after $77.00 Instant Coupon. This pc should suit your pc needs and then some. Imo I think it's a hell of a deal.

HP Pavilion p6210f Desktop:

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Quad Core @ 2.6GHz

6GB DDR2 800 RAM

640GB Hard Drive

Nvdia Geforce 9100G graphics

Windows 7 Premium

Link....

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?&storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&partNumber=828019&cm_mmc=Pricegrabber-_-Shopping-_-Technology%253EDesktop_Computers-_-828019-NY544AA

And if you want to add a monitor (which is sold separately) you can do so in the same link above. So say if you bought the HP 2009m 20" HD Widescreen LCD Monitor for example that's $149.99 with the desktop above, you are looking at $600 dollars total, which still puts you under the $700 dollar price range.

Unikshik
Msg: 6
view profile
History
New Computer
Posted: 11/14/2009 6:55:27 PM
Guys, you are the best!!!...You answered my questions. Thanks for the input about Verizon Internet Suite...I have had nothing but problems with it, including my computer crashing and now I find myself with the need to get another one.
I was interested in the HP6230, but if you think that the HP6210 will do ot for me I will consider it since it is a little bit cheaper than the other one. I have the monitor from my old computer, which it's a great one, I hope it works with the new one. I am just waiting now for the best price since Thanksgiving is coming up and all the deals of Black Friday, it will be worth waiting a few days more. I will definitely check into the virus protection that you mentioned...so I can kiss Verizon good bye...and this will happen sooner than you think! Thank you so much!.. I wish you Happy Holidays in advance.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 7
view profile
History
New Computer
Posted: 11/14/2009 7:30:09 PM
I'd def avovid the HP pavilion P6230.

Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor 2.7gHz

2GB DDR2 800 Ram

500.0 GB * Serial ATA hard drive

ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB

Windows 7 Home Premium

SuperMulti SATA Drive with Lightscribe

Everything is weaker and less on the HP Pavilion p6230 vs the HP Pavilion p6210. The only thing you are getting better in the HP Pavilion p6230 over the HP Pavilion p6210 is the graphics card, but even with that said the ATI Radeon 4350 isn't anything to brag about by any means and def isn't worth the price of the computer being worth more then the HP Pavilion p6210, especially when you get better performance and more hardware. With the HP Pavilion p6210 you get a decently fast quad core processor not dual core like in the HP Pavilion p6230, 4 more gb of DDR2 800 ram over the HP Pavilion p6230 which going to give you a lot better performance in Windows 7 64bit Home Premuim Edition then using just 2gb of ram like in the HP Pavilion p6230, which not to mention doesn't even come with Windows 7 64bit Home Premuim Edition, it comes with the Regular 32bit Windows & Home Premuim Edition. So considering since everything is moving torwards 64bit and you want to keep this pc a good 4 or 5 years you'd be wise to get the Windows 7 Home Premuim 65bit Edition that comes with the HP Pavilion p6210. And lastly the hard drive on the HP Pavilion p6210 is 140gb bigger then the one on then the one on the HP Pavilion p6230 and that extra 140gb will come in handy with videos etc.. seeing how videos on a computer can eat up a lot of space.

You're prob not going to get the HP Pavilion p6210 any cheaper then that even on Black Fri, because tha pc is running at a Black Fri price right now.
 Unikshik
Msg: 8
view profile
History
New Computer
Posted: 11/14/2009 8:13:08 PM
Hi Steel!

This is the info on the 6230 that I was looking at......It is more powerful than the one you were looking at...Please tell me what you think...

HP Pavilion Desktop with AMD Phenom™ II X4 Quad-Core Processor
Power cord/cable
HP USB keyboard, HP USB optical mouse
Software: Microsoft Works 9; Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe; HP MediaSmart Software Suite
Owner's manual
Product Features
AMD Phenom™ II X4 810* quad-core processor
True multicore processing for extreme multitasking performance. Cool'n'Quiet™ 3.0 and CoolCore™ technologies and Dual Dynamic Power Management™ for efficient energy usage.
Direct Connect Architecture
Delivers overall system performance. HyperTransport™ technology, AMD Balanced Smart Cache and AMD Wide Floating Point Accelerator for quick access times and improved performance.
AMD Memory Optimizer Technology
For multithreaded software performance, and AMD Virtualization with Rapid Virtualization Indexing to help virtualization software run securely and efficiently.
8GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM
For multitasking power, expandable to 16GB.
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible media. Supports DVD-RAM. Also supports LightScribe direct-disc labels using compatible LightScribe media.
2MB L2 cache memory
For efficient system processing.
750GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
Offers spacious storage options and fast read/write times.
ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics
Features 256MB integrated shared graphics memory and up to 3067MB total available graphics memory as allocated by Windows 7. High-definition audio with 8-speaker support.
15-in-1 media reader
Supports SmartMedia, xD-Picture Card, MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital, miniSD, Compact Flash Type I/II, Microdrive, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo formats.
Also supports Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard Mobile and MultiMediaCard Plus formats.
IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 8 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
For fast digital data transfer and easy peripheral connectivity.
Built-in wireless LAN (802.11a/b/g/n)
Wirelessly connect to the Internet.
Built-in 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet networking interface
For a wired Internet connection.
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.
Software package included
With Microsoft Works 9, Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe, HP MediaSmart Software Suite and more. 60-day trial version of Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition 2007 also included.
AMD, AMD Arrow logo, AMD Phenom, Cool'n'Quiet, HyperTransport and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 9
view profile
History
New Computer
Posted: 11/14/2009 8:24:36 PM
See this was the info i got on it. Someone must have put the wrong info down then on my link, because it's way off then the specs you listed above.

http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/computers/desktop-computers/pc-desktop-computers/hp-p6230-21-lcd-pavilion-p6230-desktop-computer-21-lcd-monitor/prod106197.html

Yeah the one pc above that you provided is better then the one I mentioned but not that much better. What's the price on that one going for where you saw it, because i'm seeing $659 for it online where i'm looking at.

It's def not worth an extra $210 dollars if that's the case for the little performance improvement that you would get with that one over the one I mentioned.

Unikshik
Msg: 10
view profile
History
New Computer
Posted: 11/14/2009 8:39:55 PM
It's around $799.00 on a bundle package, around $659.00. I was looking at the ones on Staples, great prices, the one you mention $440.00. plus I was looking at others similar. for instance...

This is the p6240 for $699.00

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8300
8GB installed memory
750GB hard drive
SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n
High Definition Audio, 8 speaker configurable
15-in-1 memory card reader
Monitor sold separately
Dimensions 16.85"(L) x 6.97"(W) x 15.32"(H/D) approx.
Include HP USB keyboard and optical mouse

This one is p6234 with monitor for $599.00

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel® Pentium® Processor E5400
6GB installed memory
640GB hard drive
SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
Includes HP 2159m 21.5" diagonal 16:9 Full HD 1080p LCD monitor
High Definition Audio, 8 speaker configurable
15-in-1 memory card reader
Include HP USB keyboard and optical mouse
1 year warranty

All good... Don't you think??
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 11
view profile
History
New Computer
Posted: 11/14/2009 9:54:59 PM
I'll tell you why it isn't worth that 350 dollar price diff between the HP Pavilion p6230 and the Hp Pavilion p6210.

The graphics, found on the HP Pavilion p6230 has a ATI Radeon 4200g which isn't really anything worth noting over, it's a intergrated graphics processor which is the basic of the basic in graphics computing and that's fine as so long you don't do heavy graphical stuff then you won't need anything better. It's a little bit faster then the Nvidia Geforce 9100G found on the Hp Pavilion p6210, but you won't notice any real diff between the two performance wise, because they are both basic graphic computing hardware anyhow.

It has the Phenom II X4 810 processor which is pretty much the same as the Athlon II X4 620 processor found in the Hp Pavilion p6210, they both run at the same speed the only diff is the Phenom II X4 810 has L3 cache and the Athlon II X4 doesn't but you won't notice the diff performance wise, unless you use heavy graphical programs that rely on L3 Cache or run a server lol.

And it comes with DDR3 instead of DDR2 ram found in the Hp Pavilion p6210, but the ram that the Hp Pavilion p6230 supports which DDR3 1066 is about the same performance as the DDR2 800mhz, because the CAS latency (Cycle rate) is higher on the DDR3 1066mhz ram then on the DDR2 800mhz ram. What this means is you would have to have faster DDR3 ram to make up for the high Latency Cycle to start to notice a diff from the DDR2 800mhz ram . You would have to put something like DDR3 1333mhz ram in or higher to start to notice a diff in performance and something like DDR3 1600mhz to really start to notice the diff in performance, from DDR2 800mhz ram in which that motherboard on the Hp Pavilion p6210 doesn't support that type of high speed DDR3 ram anyways.

HP Pavilion p6240

The HP Pavilion p6240, it is on par with the HP Pavilion p6210 specs and performance, but you are going to pay $250 dollars more, which won't make sense for basicly the same performance but an extra 110gb hard drive space and 2 more gb of ram which is minimal and def not worth $250 dollars more.

Hp Pavilion p6234

The Hp Pavilion p6234 is the worse out of the rest. It has the same amount of ram and the same amount of hard drive space and the HP Pavilion p6210, but it comes with a budget dual core processor. Instead of a Quad Core processor, which means Dual Cores can do two things at once with out lag, which is good enough for the common pc user for right now. A Quad Core can do 4 things at once lag. Now this is basicly good if you do a lot of task at once, but even if you don't or don't have programs that can take advantage of a Quad Core yet, you might a couple years down the road and if it's going to cost you the same price with a monitor with the Hp Pavilion p6210 as it will the Hp Pavilion p6234 with a monitor included, then why not get the one with the Quad Core for the same price that has better performance then the dual core one found on the Pavilion p6234...

The HP Pavilion p6210 is still the best bang for your money and performance. $449 is really a bargin for what you are getting.
 Unikshik
Msg: 12
view profile
History
New Computer
Posted: 11/15/2009 5:35:39 AM
Thank you so much for all of your time...I think I will go with your advice about the P6210. It all makes sense. You can not imagine how greatful I am for your help. Have a GREAT day!!!
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 13
view profile
History
New Computer
Posted: 11/15/2009 12:40:00 PM
You're def going to save yourself a lot of money by going with HP Pavilion P6210. It should suit all of your needs and then some. Plus if you add that 20 inch monitor you will have a complete system all for 600 bucks! You couldn't build the same system for that price especially now since ram prices have sky rocketed.

You too!
 Unikshik
Msg: 14
view profile
History
New Computer
Posted: 11/16/2009 5:21:40 AM
Its' a done deal, Steel. I got my P6210 yesterday!!!... So happy!...I did not get the best deal in town though. I got it from Best Buy and the price was $579.00, just the computer. I went to Staples first but they did not have it, and the deal on line was all over with by the time I decided. Anyhow, thank you!!!
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 15
view profile
History
New Computer
Posted: 11/16/2009 5:40:35 AM
Yeah I checked out the site yesterday and they were all sold out. Tells you how good of a deal it is when an item like that got sold out that fast.

Still a good deal for what you paid for it though, which was still well under the 700 dollar mark for the pc itself. What's really nice about that computer is that it has a lot of room for upgradeability, later on. You can throw in any AM2+ processor and even AM3+ processor in it that's uses 95w or lower. The 125w processor versions or higher won't be supported, but those require exotic gaming motherboards anyhow that can support that high of processor wattage, which doesn't effect you considering you aren't a hardcore gamer that needs that much cpu power anyhow. Good news is AMD announced just recently that AM2+ motherboard along with AM3+ motherboards will support AMD's new upcoming 6-core processor, which will even add more lifespan to your computer if you ever decided to upgrade to a 6-core priocessor later on. It will also support up to 16GB of DDR2 ram, which is huge. You prob won't ever need that much ram at least for the lifespan of that pc and what you are going to use that pc for, but it's nice to know that it can support that high of ram just incase. te 6gb of ram you already have in there should be plenty enough for you to last you a while. Also, If you ever wanted to upgrade to a good performance graphics card later on, you can do so, because you have a PCI-Ex 2.0 graphics slot.

Oh incase you were wondering about your processors performance here is a really good article on it. The benchmarks shows in a graph how it fairs to other processors.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-ii-propus,2414.html
 Unikshik
Msg: 16
view profile
History
New Computer
Posted: 11/18/2009 10:30:28 AM
Thank you guys for all of your shared knowledge with me...I wish you knew how much I appreciate this!!! :)... You are the best!!!
 Unikshik
Msg: 17
view profile
History
New Computer
Posted: 11/19/2009 8:58:36 PM
Hello Cinsav!
I appreciate your information! I have heard of Ubuntu before and I have no idea what it is. I did buy a computer with windows...which I have not installed yet due to the lack of time and in a way a little scared of doing it and it not working. When it comes to computer I just use them, I have no idea about technology...but I am learning slowly...I just crashed my other PC lost everything, so now you know where my paranoia comes from. About the Intel and AMD cards, chips... What do I know!!!...but I am sure that you knew what I meant since your response was very informative. Thanks! Wish me luck, will you???
 Unikshik
Msg: 18
view profile
History
New Computer
Posted: 11/22/2009 8:02:45 AM
What a great idea... I will probably try it with my old computer...the problem is, that I can't even get to my Desktop...it will not let me....the I can't find the OS disks and when I called HP they are absolete!!!... What to do???
 Unikshik
Msg: 19
view profile
History
New Computer
Posted: 11/23/2009 2:38:08 PM
Something amazing happened... this guy fixed my old computer, and he was also able to restore everything that I had... I am sooo happy. Thank you guys for all your help...Have a wonderful Thanksgiving day!!!... I will be giving my thank, I have many things to be thankful for , but also for all of the unknown people out there (like you) who try to help others by sharing your knowledge!!!... :) Blessings!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > New Computer