Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > when you deal with a difficult boss      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 autogal
Msg: 1
view profile
History
when you deal with a difficult bossPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I am an senior engineer working for a company . i joined one year ago and even though i have worked for almost 11 years this is a new company with new product
I get no help from any of the engineers, my boss told me yesterday that i was not up to speed and do not understand the issue and compares me with others who have been there doing the same for 20 years. More important he told me that i have been struggling since september , in september they hired a 21 year old while i am 37. I do my best and work long hours. in addition if i ask questions they tell me that i ask too many questions. More important he keeps on telling me that he has told me and even though I take careful notes he never tells me anything. or he makes up lies on what the feedback is from other co-workers . Constantly assigns me projects that are destined to make me fail. For example i struggled with a design that i was told was never in exitence , when i got it working was told oh by the way we have it in production for 2 years.
my thoughts are that as the company is busy doing layoffs i am being made a target please advise on how to handle the situation, should i go to HR and request a transfer to another department. is it me or is it the manager
thanks
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 2
view profile
History
when you deal with a difficult boss
Posted: 11/14/2009 11:49:43 PM
I'm with start looking for a new job.

some managers and bosses are looking to drive people nuts to get them so fed up that they quit.

I would say talk to HR...cos talking to this confusing boss is only going to make him up his antics.

tell HR that you are looking to pursue other options within the company... you are very happy working for them and look forward to many more years with them.

if the discussion of your current position comes up... keep it positive as possible...check out some self-help books in the library with good key phrases that HR uses...lol... on how to tactfully say there may be some communication issues or difference in work style with you and the current boss.
Keep it tactful... and don't slap that boss.

I know the economy is in a downward situation...but as an engineer you have more options than most. Think smart before you act.
 itechman63
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2009 6:21:50 AM
How badly should you want this job?

Believe me I know this job market and family/geographical factors make all jobs valuable. I've worked 24 years in a job where I'm not happy and my employers know that I am stuck. To find another job I'd have to relocate and as a divorced parent I can't relocate. They have me over a barrel and they take advantage of that.

But if I had any mobility, I'd want them to lay me off or fire me. I should want them to. If you have any ability to pursue employment elsewhere, I'd think you'd want to look into that because no one should be miserable in their career.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2009 1:27:39 PM
OH MY GOSH!
OH MY GOSH!
OH MY GOSH!

I always find that contracting a professional hit out on your boss always takes care of the bee's knees. I mean you could always kill him yourself, but I'm guessing you're not an expert on the matter, correct? That's why I suggest hiring a professional to do the job.

Kill Bill.

I ya ya ya!!! I can't even find the words.....
 readyfornow
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/18/2009 12:29:15 PM
Sounds to me like you're a marked man. If I were you, I would ask for the transfer in writing as a CYA measure. Then I would give my resume the widest possible dissemination. Good luck.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > when you deal with a difficult boss