Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Religion      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TotalConcept
Msg: 1
ReligionPage 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Your thoughts on: Religion

Religion, according to Merriam-Webster, is "a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practice."

I don't label myself as being in a religion, because I don't fully adhere to any institutionalized systems.

Here's the rub: If someone you are interested in says she/he is Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, Bahai, Hindu, etc but does not adhere to the institutional systems of practices or beliefs, do you get concerned?

Does anyone view religious adherence or ferver as a character flaw? Does anyone view lack of dogmatic religious beliefs as a character flaw?

What say you?
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 2
Religion
Posted: 11/14/2009 7:38:25 PM
I say that your use of "dogmatic" is revealing--or you a very literal person.

M-W also says religion is " a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith", and I'd say THAT is when it gets to be a problem, unless you both think the same thing.

============
GWEN--me, too! Same guy?! lol
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
 rainman12
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Religion
Posted: 11/14/2009 7:41:41 PM
I don't view either as character flaws. It's more how they choose to interact with those that may not share the same views as them that could be "flawed".

Personally, I'm not religious, I don't push my beliefs (or lack of) onto others, I would expect the same. If you respect my views, I'll respect yours.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 4
Religion
Posted: 11/14/2009 7:42:35 PM
I say that some people who adhere to dogmatic religions bend the rules to suit themselves.

I have been approached by Christians who interpret their Bible a bit differently from what it explicitly states. Others have recoiled in horror when are made to understand that I am pagan, and others say it doesn't matter.

The "worst" Christian man to whom I spoke with on POF said he could have an affair with me, but I wasn't marriage material because I wasn't Christian.

How is "hypocrisy" spelled? Oh, yeah, just like that.
 daynadaze
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Religion
Posted: 11/14/2009 11:41:09 PM
I'm an atheist so I don't have any religious dogmas and don't normally date anyone who is religious. But I do have a short tolerance for people who say they are believers in such-and-such religion, belong to that religion, yet behave is ways that are counter to said religion. I find they tend to lie a lot, and not only about their supposed religion.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Religion
Posted: 11/14/2009 11:54:03 PM
Dogmatic as in Holier than Thou?

ya..well everyone has an opinion...beliefs... I respect them that they are conscience and believing in something.

but...then again I don't have to agree with them or their values, views...fath.

some are just regular Nutbars and CrackerJack cases...lol.... and then some go to the extreme....pass the Kool-Aid. Those... I worry about...and stay clear of.

me?... I just go with what I feel is right for me.
 RSwindol
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Religion
Posted: 11/15/2009 4:16:26 AM
Spiritualism brings people together by promoting harmony from within and then pointing out that everyone is the same.

Religion drives people apart by constantly pointing out their differences.

Most wars are based on religion. I challenge you to name even one based on spiritualism.

No...I'm not religious, nor will I ever be.
 RSwindol
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Religion
Posted: 11/15/2009 4:23:37 AM
A person can be a Jew without fallowing the Jewish religion. A Jew is a person of Jewish faith, AND/OR a descendant of Jerusalem.

This means that as long as you are a descendant of Jerusalem, you do not have to believe in the Jewish faith to be considered a Jew.

It is natural to fear what we don't understand. But just because it's natural doesn't make it right. Education is the first step to acceptance.
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 10
Religion
Posted: 11/15/2009 5:46:49 AM
Scrutinizer...

Adolph Hilter believed in the Old Germanic Gods.

It's been pointed out several times on other threads (now mostly deleted, I fear...), but Hitler was *Catholic*
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 11
Religion
Posted: 11/15/2009 10:15:33 AM

It is because a Jew is considered Racially a Jew,

What I find interesting about this is that the REASON people are considered "racially" Jews is based on religion. Their religious history teaches that all Jews are descendants of the the "original" 7-12 tribes of Israel, right? I seriously doubt that all Jews have the same DNA markers.

I think the critera for those who were only half Jewish was that, as long as mother was a Jew, you were considered a Jew.

That's the religious criterion, not Hitler's (he may have used it as well). I think he was not only eradicating a religion, but also anyone he thought looked funny. For example, all the Romani there. Catholics, as well, so I don't know why people say he was Catholic (perhaps born into a Catholic family? Most Austrians were Catholic, so that would be logical). In other debates--when it suits people lol--they like to proclaim he was an atheist and say THAT was the reason he was evil.

And also--people can convert to Judaisim? It isn't logical. They're not changing their DNA, either.
 kuddlekitty
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Religion
Posted: 11/15/2009 3:26:28 PM
message 27:
"...people can convert to Judaism?" It isn't logical. They're not changing their DNA..."

Jesus was Jewish. So what happened to all the people who followed him, and called themselves a different faith. So, are you biologically tied to Jesus? No. The Jews are. He didn't change his DNA...he didn't even change his religion. He never gave up Judaism. So....does that make all his followers converts? Different DNA?

Judaism is, as mentioned above, a religion and a culture. You can be of the culture but not practice the religion, just as you may be born into any religion but not practice it. But, just like Italian, Greek, German, Irish...all with cultural traditions...there are traditions (types of food, holiday, shared history) in the Jewish culture, which may differ depending on whether one is Ashkenazie (European origin) or Sephardic (Spanish, Middle Eastern).
 robfish
Msg: 13
Religion
Posted: 11/15/2009 5:19:16 PM
I'll keep this short to avoid offending too many people........there are two evils in the world>>> Politics and Religion. The two evils are the cause of millions of cases of senseless violence and death. Having said that I have nothing against religious people that live their lives peacefully and don't try to force their beliefs on to others.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 14
Religion
Posted: 11/15/2009 8:16:37 PM
In the same way a black person who may be half Caucasion or Asian by birth will be seen as black. It isn't that it is their choice, whatever the religion says about be the decendents of the 12 tribes of Israel: it is about how they are perceived.

Hm, I actually disagree. I'm trying to think of people I know who are Jewish--I would never know they are unless they told me. Like Helena Bonham Carter, who is Jewish? I only know because I just investigated. Ditto with some actors who are black--if you didn't tell me, I wouldn't know! Dorothy Dandridge or whatever her name was, Halle Berry. I don't know, maybe I suck at racial profiling lol!
==================
(Sorry, edited it because I thought maybe I'd hit my limit for today)
Ha ha, well, let's see one of my best friends is half Japanese and gets thought of as Hispanic all the time. I'll ask HER! If I'm in the right crowd, people wonder if I'm half Asian or Hispanic or NatAm. I understand what you mean, though--I almost married a man who is half Black half Chinese. Even with a Chinese last name people call him "African American" which drives him nuts because he's not African nor American (he's from Brit Guyana, now Belize).
 daynadaze
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Religion
Posted: 11/15/2009 10:12:54 PM
How can you be Jewish by birth? It's a religion, unless one fits into some sort of look considered to be ethnic, one is not seen as Jewish or black or Asian, it's only when you can pick out slanted eyes, or dark skin, etc. My son-in-law is half-Korean, but many people think he's Hispanic, I don't see it but then I know what he is, so I'm not guessing and trying to place his looks. My brother, on the other hand, is Jewish, since we are mostly Irish/English/French/German, you would never meet him and think, oh he's Jewish. My brother wasn't born into a religious family, he became Jewish because of the religion he chose as an adult. His DNA would never show you any sort of religious affiliation, but it might show you some places where our ancestors once lived, even then that would be a guess without some detailed history. A person can call themselves whatever they want, but in reality, you aren't any religion unless you actually follow the dogma of that religion.
 robfish
Msg: 16
Religion
Posted: 11/15/2009 11:23:35 PM

That's true. Now, what religion were Joseph Stalin and Mao Tse Tung?

Does it matter?? Both fall into the category of the two evils I described earlier......isn't it odd that politicians/dictators can break the rules of the bible yet it isn't seen as a sin because money or oil is involved??? There should be no grey area in religion yet there are many of them.
 jed456
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Religion
Posted: 11/16/2009 1:15:01 PM
It's not odd. Just because someone claims to live by the Bible or the teachings of Jesus doesn't mean they do. People have used religion as a cover for political and economic chicanery long before modern times.

One of the best statement's I have read on here!

I would include all religion's not just christians.Think how many people have died because there god was "better"
 robfish
Msg: 18
Religion
Posted: 11/16/2009 1:58:08 PM
So you didn't think it was odd when The Pope gave George Bush praise and blessings for all that was done in Iraq?? I think that was one of the lowest points, to have someone so highly regarded in religious terms give praise to a person responsible for the deaths of over 1 million people (many innocent) in a war based on oil. If the bible is true I guess they are all going to hell.
 itechman63
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Religion
Posted: 11/17/2009 10:13:47 AM
^^^I didn't hear Lennon imagining no borders. I think he just wanted to buy the world a Coke.

Certainly my beliefs are Christian but I call myself to be "non-practicing" which means I believe I need to change my ways. I don't argue religion but when an Atheist wants to tell me how stupid I am to believe in anything, my response is simply "If I'm wrong then no sweat. If you're wrong, we both won't be sweating enough".
 deetristate
Msg: 20
Religion
Posted: 9/30/2017 4:07:52 AM
""""A federal judge has ordered a Pennsylvania county to remove the cross from its seal, saying it violated the Constitution.

Lehigh Valley County, which is about 40 miles north of Philadelphia, will have to redesign its seal after U.S. District Judge Edward Smith ruled in favor of the plaintiffs, the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF), an organization that promotes separation of church and state and which filed the lawsuit against the county, according to The Morning Call.

Smith made it known in his ruling that he was not happy about the decision he had to make but was following the rule of constitutional law, including the establishment clause, which states that Congress may not pass any laws establishing a religion. """""

His reasoning?

"""anyone who sees this seal or flag would see it as an endorsement of a particular religion by local government.”"""

Really?

Talk about snowflakes. LOL!

Do they see the factories with smoke billowing out of them as endorsing pollution?

Or the cow as an endorsement of eating meat?

I hope not.

Again, it just again supports the proposition that people who so vehemently oppose any sign of religion anywhere are really insecure and trying to convince themselves. Or they were raised in a religion that is not Christian and need to destroy all signs of Christianity (even if it just historic or a design).
 gtomustang
Msg: 21
Religion
Posted: 9/30/2017 5:40:06 AM
wellll...there's nothing in the Constitution about the separation of cows and meat eating, or the separation of smokestacks and pollution, which all existed in the days of the Founding Fathers, and some people think a government representation is an endorsement for people who believe the government does the right thing. what they should do is replace the cross with the Crescent Moon and Star, and see who claims its a symbol of Sharia Law :)

not that religious symbols mean anything....
 deetristate
Msg: 22
Religion
Posted: 9/30/2017 5:57:54 AM
As you know, you are relatively smart if a bit snarky, it was about the snowflakiness,

not whether it was in the constitution

Is the presence of a cross really the endorsement of a religion?
No.
Unless you are a snowflake.
But I guess, alas, that the courts have to protect the feeeelings of snowflakes as well as well adjusted people.

Why do people who believe

"""not that religious symbols mean anything....""

always need to remove them from their sight?

Even the judge had to admit that

"""""""The First Amendment to the United States Constitution contains two clauses dealing with religion. The first of the two is the Establishment Clause, which constitutes the heart of this litigation. The Establishment Clause states:

"CONGRESS

shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion . . . ." U.S. Const. amend. I. There is ample historical evidence to suggest that James Madison, the First Amendment's drafter, was concerned with the establishment of a

NATIONAL

religion similar to that of the Church of England that would encroach on citizens' freedom of conscience, compel conformity, and levy taxes in its name. For example, the first proposed draft of the Establishment Clause said: "The civil rights of none shall be abridged on account of religious [*16] belief or worship, nor shall any national religion be established, nor shall the full and equal rights of conscience in any manner, or on any pretext, be abridged.

. . .

Simply put, the County of Lehigh did not intend to "establish" religion or institute a County religion when it adopted Commissioner Herzog's design for the Seal. And if it had intended to do so, it has certainly failed-one of the plaintiffs himself testified that per the 2010 census, 49 percent [*18] of the County reported no religious affiliation at all. Pls.' Facts at ¶ 38; Def.'s Resp. at ¶ 38.

While such considerations appear to be a matter of

COMMON- SENSE

in determining whether a government has established a religion in violation of the First Amendment, binding precedent has taken the inquiry in a different direction.""""""""""

But, given decisions by non-christian federal judges subsequently, and those influenced by them, the acknowledged application of the clause has shifted to PCdom.

That does not make it sensible or correct.

But, to use one of my least favorite phrases, it is what it is.
Maybe that will change in the near future.

They are probably going through every flag, and seal in the country to find something to whine about.
 Kj521
Msg: 23
Religion
Posted: 9/30/2017 6:03:28 AM
^^^^It's just a part of the deconstruction of America, Ms. Dee.

vvvvFunny how flags, statues and Crosses have become such hotbed issues! Lol!

poppata
Msg: 24
Religion
Posted: 9/30/2017 6:13:54 AM
^^^^oh please KJ....separation of church and state has been a fundamental part of our law forever..and it's a very good thing. Why should a local government be showing favoritism for a particular religion? It's good that there are groups out there willing to take on the scofflaws, and good the federal judge had enough integrity to enforce the law. That is not the deconstruct of the country but the support of our fundamental institutions and laws that Trumpstets are trying to tear down.
 John252817
Msg: 25
Religion
Posted: 9/30/2017 8:30:45 AM
"^^^^It's just a part of the deconstruction of America, Ms. Dee.

vvvvFunny how flags, statues and Crosses have become such hotbed issues! Lol!"

Kj, you are correct, there is a lot going on as far as tearing down our country and the left is trying their damnedest to do so. I will say again from another thread about how one school, evergreen state college here in washington is a prime example of what is wrong, what is scary and hopefully won't be allowed. When you have students holding faculty hostage, houston, we have a problem, a HUGE problem.
 poppata
Msg: 26
Religion
Posted: 9/30/2017 8:58:40 AM
I never heard of evergreen college before these incidents. I doubt earthshaking for the US. Besides, protesting is as American as apple pie, ask those who successfully protested the Vietnam war.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Religion