Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Opposite gender roomate      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 akaJake
Msg: 1
Opposite gender roomatePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
How do you deal with a roommate situation which is kinda tense?

For example if you rent out a room in your apartment/house and someone with the opposite gender takes it. Next thing you know there is some ease in conversation, a few shared meals, then come the watching of a good movie with on the same couch..a bit cold - blanket, footsies etc etc ..and so on...

Next thing you know you have a live in GF/BF - the rent becomes a weird issue? Not?
 rainman12
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Opposite gender roomate
Posted: 11/15/2009 11:33:34 PM
Did you not have an agreement before they moved in about which costs needed to be split? Then why should some romantic interaction negate that?

I could see possible renegotiation as to who pays what, but really, bills need to be paid.
 pdlop
Msg: 3
Opposite gender roomate
Posted: 11/15/2009 11:50:26 PM
Set up a video cam in the bathrooms and in her room. Set up a website "myroomiedotcom" and make yourself some money. Thats what i would do. You lady's on here think this is ok right? how about if i was joking.lol. Having a hot roomate can really suck, your damned if ya do damned if you don't on that situation. You hook up with here, things end and one of you have to move. The other is what your doing now, developing feelings for someone and the fact that shes always around. Get a less attractive roomie next time.
 oceaneyess
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Opposite gender roomate
Posted: 11/16/2009 12:28:54 AM
OP..The situation only becomes strange if you let it. Keep lines of communication open with her. If you have a written lease with her,go over it with her and discuss the "what ifs" now rather than betting on them later should matters of the heart get in the way.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Opposite gender roomate
Posted: 11/16/2009 3:34:51 AM

They love using our tool against us in little tricks like these.
They do?

I've shared an apartment with a guy before and it didn't turn sexual or awkward. You allowed this to happen which was a huge mistake... but it doesn't negate her obligation towards rent...

Or you could ask her what her going rate is for sex since she's whoring herself out and get a new room mate...
 joemac356
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Opposite gender roomate
Posted: 11/16/2009 5:00:49 AM
Any deviation from the original business agreement makes someone a whore.
Hey, I'm just sayin'...
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 7
Opposite gender roomate
Posted: 11/16/2009 5:37:59 AM
To me dating a roommate is like dating a coworker. Don't go there if you can help it - in fact the less attracted you are the better (and vice versa)...same sex is ideal, but opposite sex isn't impossible, the rules just have to be set.

If I don't want to live with an actual bf, I don't want to end up dating a roommate - talk about trapped. You have to have the option of being able to send someone home for a relationship to work.
 BlueEyes1712
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Opposite gender roomate
Posted: 11/19/2009 6:32:06 PM
Dont start sleeping with roomates. And nothing changes with rent,not an issue, the verbal or contractual agreement was made prior, thats what people agree to live by.
 akaJake
Msg: 9
Opposite gender roomate
Posted: 12/7/2009 5:14:01 PM
Thanks for all the opinions and some that put a smile on my face. Some advices were good. There will be nothing between and the opposite gender roommate.

But since I am a make I am sure other males would agree that an attractive female roomate can be more trouble that one that you dont find attractive. No offense to anyone..just stating it as a matter of fact.
 cherryyblossom
Msg: 10
Opposite gender roomate
Posted: 12/14/2009 10:34:26 AM
i prefer living with females. i do not find any problems with it since i act very feminine myself, but it is up to you to choose who you want to live with.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Opposite gender roomate