Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Difference between job and career      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 autogal
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Difference between job and careerPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
What is the difference between a job and a career. For myself a career is where you are working at the same place for some time , get promoted and follow in the same path.
A Job is where you have a new boss each year and no promotion
any thoughts
 itechman63
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Difference between job and career
Posted: 11/19/2009 1:22:33 PM
I've worked in the same place for 24 years... same bosses although the Managing Partner serves one to two 5-year terms before a new one assumes his place. Never been promoted and never will be essentially because the firm knows I'm stuck... to find a position elsewhere would require leaving the area and I am a divorced father of young kids that cannot leave the area. They have no motivation to sweeten the pot for me while others that have been here a short while receive raises and promotions to keep them here as they are capable of moving.

I guess you could say that I have a career that feels like a job.
 raxarsr
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2009 4:37:39 PM
^^^............kinda what she said................my first job was working in an rv factory.....i've held several jobs.....but my career was bricklaying.........i think mostly a craeer is the job you retire....or at least plan to retire from.

and to the people who think you need an education to have a career....[several teachers i've known,,they all had a "holier than thou "attitude].........all i can say is that the recently retired president of our local bank......which incidentally is listed as 1 of the 5 most secure banks in america......only had an 8th grade education............yet under him.....the bank flourished
 daynadaze
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2009 5:26:25 PM
I've always had jobs, like working in a factory. Length of time didn't matter, a career would have been if I was in management, working my way up or at least been skilled like say a welder but I'm not sure if welder comes under career or not. Anyway, that's my worthless opinion. Now had I worked in the field of the majors I took in college, then I would have had a career.
 m14shooter
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2009 7:24:13 PM

Ah yes, but do we have a life?

More of a life when I worked somewhere that only gave me a week or two a year off, now I get as much time off as I want.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 10:02:51 PM
A career is something you manage and a job is something you do.
 milt_n_bradley
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/15/2009 7:59:24 AM
It's all semantics.
If you do something, become good at it and can do it well for others,then it's a career.
If you can't...then maybe it's a job.

At the end of the day,the results remain the same.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2009 3:02:30 PM

If you do something, become good at it and can do it well for others,then it's a career.
If you can't...then maybe it's a job.

I dunno milt, I've known one or two people who were obviously honing their skills of being total fvktards.
Musta been making a career of it cuz they got very good at it.

I've had lots of different jobs in my career!
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/15/2009 3:29:04 PM
A career is a job that you want. A job is something you have to do.

Being a teacher could be a career, but if you hate kids, it's just a job.

I've been at the same place for over 3 years, but I don't like it. It's just a job to me. However, they try to make it out like it could be a career if I wanted it to be. They have all these little positions at my company that you can get "promoted" to, but with little salary increase. So they try to get you to focus on that as a career path. But you still have to deal with the same retarded customers and I doubt the extra dollar an hour or whatever will mean that you can afford a beach house, so what's it matter whether you call it a job or a career?
 OGUDZ
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2009 11:47:31 PM
A career is an interesting challenge, something you can be passionate about.
A job is sometimes described as Just Over Broke.

A job can become a career if there is room to grow and develop.

A career can become just a job if you lose your original passion.

A career usually entails specific skills and education, from being a self-taught artist to a scientist with a Phd.

A job usually entails showing up with a pulse and having micro-manager tell you how to do your job...even when you've been doing it successfully for years!

A career is what you WANT!
A job is what you get when you don't pursue a career.

Most people with jobs never set out to find a career, and are doing something only because it was what was available at the time they were looking for employment.

People who set out to pursue a career in what they WANT to do (as opposed to those who became doctors, lawyers, etc. because their family expected it) will achieve more success (financial, recognition, freedom, promotions, education, etc. ) than those who are only looking for something to pay the bills.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Difference between job and career