Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Antarctica      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cattoy13
Msg: 2
AntarcticaPage 1 of 1    
yes, I've been there. GREATEST trip I have ever taken. I went alone in 2004 with Quark Expeditions. I signed up to share a cabin with 2 other non-smoking ladies to save money. You are probably a lot younger than I am but I dont know how you'd do much ice climbing because the time on the ICE is limited to a few hours. But the landing are frequent depending on weather.

Maybe other travel companies offer more time on the ice, but since it was so expensive I picked the best one for my budget. And I think QUARK was great.

I bought my clothing at Gander Mountain & R E I - any good store of this type would work. I did alot of emailing with QUARK staff to see what I would need. They also send me a travel packet explaining this as well.

I spent 7 days in Ushauia first. Then 10 days on the trip. The Drake Crossing was rough! (as far a seasickness)

any questions just ask me. caroleena
 mariacba
Msg: 3
Antarctica
Posted: 2/22/2010 3:52:09 PM
I haven't been there but I've asked for information to a friend of mine. He has been there working for three years. He is a military man.
He told me that tourist usually go to Ushuaia and then they take a cruise to Antartica. The 15 -day cruise takes tourist to different places called "pinguineras" because it is the place where the penguins nest.There cost of the cruises range from 7 ,000 dollars upwards.He also told me that ice climbing is forbbiden .You can only do it if you go on a scientific expedition.
Hope it helps you
 Zeskiwi
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Antarctica
Posted: 2/23/2010 2:13:55 AM
What is written above is similar to what I have heard from people who have done the cruise from Southern Argentina. The ship tends to smash against ice even at night which can be a bit disconcerting.
The other option for a look see is the Antarctica Flight from Australia. Expensive but if you have the dollars and not the time for a cruise. (Cross your fingers for good clear weather though)

Another mission to consider would be either an Alaskan coastal cruise (assuming you have not done this yet) or some student assistant position on an enviromental monitoring project in Alaska eg for the Exon Valdez coastal pollution area.
 trvltrmp
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Antarctica
Posted: 2/28/2010 4:40:58 AM
i have been to antarctica a few years ago my son went last year he spent 3 weeks camping in ushia ( misspelled) waiting to get on a ship. he did not book ahead sometimes if you have the time to wait you can get a better deal, he still paid about $5,000. neither of our boats bumped into any ice, we both went in feb, there may be ice flows earlier in the season. if you want to ice climb i think you can do that in patagonia, rather than antarctica. there are some beautiful places in chile and argentina for that activity, of course any info you need can be googled. cheers
 mariacba
Msg: 6
Antarctica
Posted: 2/28/2010 2:02:33 PM
trvltrmp,
You are right. People can go toUshuaia . And there they get the cruise to Antarctica .(South).
But they can also visit the Glaciar Perito Moreno (north-west)which is not far away. It is an amazing scenery. The Glacier advances very slowly from the Andes Mountain.When it reaches the coast it builds up a barrier between two lakes.Thus stopping comunication between the two lakes.The water of one of them starts to pressure against the ice wall of the glacier and the glacier breaks with an astounding sound .This event used to happen every four year. And many people from around the world were there for months waiting for this moment.
You can lodge in a small town called Calafate and you can go ice climbing on the Perito Moreno Glacier as well as touring it by ship.

regards from Argentina
maria
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Antarctica