Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Overrated Bands.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 marknbaltimore
Msg: 3
Overrated Bands.Page 1 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
oasis............... just a beatles wanna be group, they put out a couple of decent albums but england thinks they were the 2nd coming of the fab 4. liam tries to much to look like and sound like john lennon and noel tries 2 be like good ole paul, i mean they even went out and hired zak starkey (ringo's son) at 1 time. they also tried to hire dhani harrison. there will never be another beatles again so bands need to stop trying to be them, be yourself
 robfish
Msg: 4
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 11/23/2009 2:44:06 PM
Ok, i think i'm going to get a lot of flack for this one but i'll put it out there anyway:

1. Nirvana! - Kurt Cobains death is what made the band so popular.

2. Red Hot Chilli Peppers - under the bridge? More like over the hill, nothing red hot about them in my opinion.

3. Nickelback - most songs sound exactly the same. Different lyrics, same tune.
 Socalguy1962
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 11/25/2009 8:29:41 AM
So many to choose from...lol

1. Coldplay - Totally suck. They are one of those bands that women like so they can say they like "rock". Only reason they get any press is because the vocalist is married to Gwyneth Paltrow.

2. Nirvana - Turns out the most talented guy in that band was drummer Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters fame. Had a couple catchy songs with some pop hooks and a good indy producer in Butch Vig. They came along at the right time. I knew about a dozen garage bands in the Seattle area at that time that were better.

3. Aerosmith - Turned into Top 40 crap. Haven't done anything decent since the late 70's. Another band that women like so they can say they like "rock".

Honorable mention: U2 with the self-important Bono. Bassist and band enforcer Adam Clayton needs to do a better job of keeping him grounded. Def Leppard, peaked with High n' Dry. Turned into Top 40 teen girl pop rock crap after that.

The above is IMHO of course.
 Davenro
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 11/26/2009 12:46:31 AM
Have to agree with U2 and the R.H.C.P's and will have to add Foo Fighters, I don't get why they are so popular.. radio friendly rock, no better than the aforementioned Nickleback, tbh.

Metallica. Just quit it. That band could sell blank CD's and people would still buy it. Oh, and Lars, please get a real drum kit. That toy one just doesn't cut it ,reminds me of the Duracell bunny's drum.
 PETEYQ
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 11/27/2009 8:20:34 PM
"Ive had a long night, and i hate the......Eagles, man"
The Dude
 Opusvoid
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 11/30/2009 10:54:59 PM
I totally agree with your top three assesments and I'll throw in REM, Danzig, Kiss and Led Zeppelin.

I'll probably get my head chewed off for that last one lol
 nipoleon
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 12/1/2009 3:41:05 AM
The most overrated, over hyped, over sold, over romanticised band ever.... the Grateful Dead.

What did anybody ever see in Steely Dan ?

I know, some people love Tower of Power.
I think they are one of the most under performing bands ever.
 ZachAtTacK13
Msg: 28
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 12/2/2009 9:40:35 PM
Everything on the radio. Everything on MTV. BTW, BrokenCYDE is possibly the worst band ever.
 B_Rye82
Msg: 35
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 12/14/2009 7:18:01 PM
Nickelback.
They grew up a few hours west of where I am from. But that's all I ever hear on the radio. One of the main reasons I can't support my local "rock" station actually. And most of their songs sound way too alike.
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 12/14/2009 9:20:08 PM
THE GRATEFUL DEAD....bunch of damned potheads.
 All_Sarcasm_Intended
Msg: 37
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 12/24/2009 12:41:49 PM
Some bands are fantastic live.... like the Red Hot Chili Peppers and AC/DC.

I can see why people get bored of AC/DC. I can't stand to listen to them on CD. They just happen to put on a good show.

But uhh...overrated bands...well my top 3 would be
1) U2
2) Nickelback
3) U2

Did I mention U2?
 Strings6
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 12/25/2009 5:05:35 AM
I respect musicianship where ever i find it,these days i rarely find it so for me most of them are overrated.
 Ostinato
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 12/26/2009 4:53:22 PM

What did anybody ever see in Steely Dan

Steely Dan is a band that focus on "studio perfection" other than fame and wealth. The way their albums were recorded and engineered is truthfully astonished, not too many albums can top that, especially not those albums from this decade. Also, take a look at their songwriting, I believe most average rock/pop musicians these days will find themselves having a hard time to play those tunes.....
 Strings6
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 12/26/2009 6:22:44 PM
What did anybody "see" in Steely Dan....nothing......music is for the ears and not for the eyes...and even if that was just a figure of speech most of today's bands would fall flat on their face covering one of their songs...unless they took a few years to learn how to play
 stuie75
Msg: 45
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 12/28/2009 1:23:56 AM
agree on nirvana...they just ripped off the pixies..
 jr123567
Msg: 46
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 12/28/2009 9:35:55 AM
Agree on Radiohead. I mean, I don't hate them. I just don't loooove them the way some critics do.
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 47
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 12/28/2009 3:41:31 PM
UB40.

Crap faux-reggae covers of good original songs, and they are the one's that get all the airplay!?

I hate it when radio programmers constantly promote mediocrity (I know, I realised what I was saying as the words hit the page!).
 jezdrummer
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 12/28/2009 7:56:04 PM
everyone is going to immediatly kill me for this one ... the beatles .. sorry .. but they just bore the crap out of me.. and from a drummer's standpoint ... (because i am one) ... was ringo in a coma on every song? seriously

nirvana .. the worst of the grunge groups

greenday/blink 182 .. "wooo.. lets water down punk (as if it isn't watered down enough.. i mean .. when it's angry it has emotion and energy)

slipknot ... i can name at least 20 bands that should be more popular

and of course .. any pop star that spends more time in front of a mirror than practicing their craft (so .. basically ... all of them)
 jezdrummer
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 12/28/2009 8:04:42 PM

Slipknot- They call themselves metal, but their music is anything but. Plus their lead singer raps. As Joey DeMaio from Manowar puts it, mixing rap music with heavy metal is like taking a beautiful woman and putting male parts on her. And just because Joey Jordison is a fast drummer does NOT make him talented.

.. joey was right .. but .. some people are into shemales .. lol .. i'm not 1 of them

and joey isn't that fast ... he's no george kollias
 rebelgirlatheart
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/18/2010 9:01:04 PM
they've already been said but worth repeating.

1). Metallica. please just stop!
2). Nickelback. that one's obvious.
3). U2.
 rudebhoy
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/21/2010 6:24:55 AM
Snow Patrol - god has there ever been a more boring band
Kings of Leon- ok maybe it's all the squares who follow em
Belle and Sebastian- lets overdose on pretension
 Liveforadventure
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/22/2010 12:02:22 PM
I fell like hitting myself in the head everytime i hear "It's a beautiful day!"
 nipoleon
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 2/2/2010 4:05:14 PM
It's a common mistake that there are good musicians who haven't been discovered yet.

You're not good because you're popular.
You're popular because you're good.
If you're good you don't have to find an audience, the audience will find you.
The Beatles were really really good.

The Rolling Stones were good for a while, but they've been over rated ever since Brian Jones died. He was the only real talent they ever actually had.
They've been squeezing blood out of " Let it Bleed " for 50 years.

Can Steely Dan please write a song that doesn't sound like every other song they ever wrote ?
I never want to hear another augmented chord as long as I live.
You too Greatful Dead.

Can anyone with any self respect ever admit to listening to Prince ever again ?
" Purple Rain ", great party album, now put on your high heeled boots and go away.
 Ostinato
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 2/3/2010 2:06:21 AM

Can Steely Dan please write a song that doesn't sound like every other song they ever wrote ?
I never want to hear another augmented chord as long as I live.

OK....but you do know the difference between added tone chord and augmented chord, don't you?
 nipoleon
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 2/3/2010 11:26:06 AM
It's easy to be popular for a while. There are a million " one hit wonders ".
If you're good, you last forever.

100 years from now, college music appreciation students will open their textbooks to the chapter on 20th. century music and on the 1st. page will be a picture of The Beatles.

OK....but you do know the difference between added tone chord and augmented chord, don't you?

Yes I do, but I always hated music theory.
Real composers don't pay much attention to that stuff, they just write what they like.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Overrated Bands.