Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Back pain need a new mattress      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jaqi
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Back pain need a new mattressPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I would appreciate any ideas on a really good and comfortable mattress.

I have a lower back injury and just recently have had a real problem sleeping. My mattress is more than 10 years old and well past it's best.

I have tried orthopedic mattresses in the past and do not want another one.
I don't sleep with anyone so don't have to worry about weight distribution in that respect.

I have heard a lot about memory foam matresses so would appreciate input from anyone who has one and what the verdict is on them.

Also have a work colleague enthusing about the Hypnos mattress she bought so would really be interested in those who have one and what you think about those.

There are so many makes all professing to be the best and 15 mins in a shop isn't going to necessarily get me a good one...it didn't with the last one and I spent a whole lot longer than that trying it out!

Appreciate all input. x Jaqi
 jaqi
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Back pain need a new mattress
Posted: 11/26/2009 10:14:37 AM
I will look in to that.... been reading up and think I will need a pocket sprung one which supports and avoids pressure points. Still looking though.. what a decision... I am not very good at making decisions : (
 jaqi
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2009 1:37:09 PM
can you tell me ... is your memory foam mattress very firm? I had an orthopedic mattress which was made to measure but was far too firm. The one I have now I thought would be a bit softer but it is still too firm.

I sleep on my back which is a thing I was never able to do but working my back and core in the gym changed all that. It seems to be suddenly more painful in the last week all in my lower back and hips. I can't sleep on my side for long before my hips feel like they are 'falling' or 'dropping' .
 smartypants24
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/26/2009 5:58:14 PM
When I hurt my back, I asked my physio what kind of mattress would be helpful for me since I was shopping around for a new one anyways, and the only advice she could give me was the same as dot*s... to sleep in a fetal position with a pillow between my knees. Apart from that, as long as the mattress feels comfortable, it isn't that much of a difference. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people that moves around A LOT in their sleep,so I never stay in that curled position...

When I went to go buy a new mattress, the guy at the store told me (and I researched it myself too just to make sure) that all mattresses, even the ones with memory foam and pillow tops, all have the same foundation: a firm support mattress. I went with a memory pillow top with pocket coils, and the outer fabric is a wool/silk blend. It's awesome.
 jaqi
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2009 9:11:58 AM
I really appreciate all the input here so thank you to all of you.

I know this is just plain vanity but I actually started training myself to sleep on my back because of the damn creases you get on your face from sleeping on your side or front. I used to have to fall asleep on my front a number of years ago but as I said I trainined myself to sleep on my back and it has been okay for me and I do tend to stay in the same position until I wake and need the loo....that is when the pain becomes apparent at the moment.

Last night I used the pillow as advised but the only position that wasn't painful was lying half on my front with my left arm horizontal underneath me (as if I was reaching for something on my right) the pillow was under my left hip. I can remember thinking what a peculiar position to be in but also thinking blimey I think I am going to get to sleep! I did for a while too as I didn't hear my daughter come in after midnight. I remember wondering if she got home alright when I got up to go to the loo and of course I couldn't get back in to the same postion again : (

I went hunting for a mattress today so spent the afternoon lying about However I am so scared of making a big mistake so I came away empty handed... Surely I would know straight away if the matress is right for me? I certainly know if one is good if I am sleeping in someone elses bed

hello batman you may have the answer... and I was thinking along the same lines when trying to establish what has caused it to flare up like this. The last time it felt like this was when I was doing leg raises lying on the bench at the gym. I had positioned myself too close to the edge and seriously bruised my coxis. Just recently I have been squatting my own weight.. 3 sets/12 reps and I know that can cause compression of the spine. How long did it take for your pain to subside? I just can't remember how long it took when I did this with the leg raises but I have already made the decision to squat light only.
 Aegle
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/28/2009 8:11:01 AM
A friend of mine bought a memory foam mattress topper because she has neck problems and it seemed to help. You can find them in a variety of thicknesses and sold on e-bay for cheaper than I have seen them for in the stores here in the states.

Regular stretching really helps me with pain from an old easily aggravated injury.
 jaqi
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2009 1:13:33 PM
pocket sprung and the memory foam

yes I took a look at those on friday but would you believe it I took an painkiller on sat morn and got myself back in to the gym and did a good weights session but kept the weight low....squatting only 72lbs instead of 128lbs and wow I felt absolutely great when I can out! I have danced all weekend ... 4 hours sat night, 4 hours sun afternoon and 3 hours sun evening and only had sore feet this morning!
I am hoping the pain stays away but I still need a new mattress though it is amazing how much more comfy my own bed feels when there is no pain!

A friend of mine said he had a similar problem where he had tried the firmer beds and now has a soft rest assured pocket sprung....says he finally sleeps like a dream. I will try and find one and try it out... shame he lives too far away otherwise I would have taken up his offer.....
 arwen52
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2009 8:13:08 AM
Avoid Sealy Posture Pedic, the one with springs in individual sleeves. Both Consumer Reports and many mattress stores say the same thing: they are very comfortable at first but eventually the springs work their way out of their individual sleeves and then the mattress is no good. Lots of places in my city won't carry them because of too many complaints.

Read Consumer Reports.

What are you doing about your back injury?

As for sleeping on your back: IF you sleep on your back, put a high pillow under your knees for the very reason an earlier poster mentioned. It takes the strain off your low back. Side lying with a pillow between your knees is the most recommended position. If you are a stomach sleeper (like I am) you don't have to tape a tennis ball to your stomach. I put two firm pillows in front of me - one in front of my chest, one between my knees. It keeps me from rolling onto my stomach and gives me the sensation of being on my stomach.

Good luck. And again, go to the library and check out Consumer Reports.
 jaqi
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2009 11:04:55 AM
Hi arwen52 and thank you for the info on the Sealy Posture Pedic, I will take you advice and steer clear of those mattresses.

I have had the injury since 1978 and have seen a chiropractor who in fact informed me that I had knocked my lower vertebrae out of place... and thankfully the pain hasn't returned since last sat so I have had a good painfree week. ... long may it continue! My bed has suddenly become more comfortable too and I am once again sleeping all night in same position on my back!

Still need a new mattress though as mine has come to the end of it's life and will continue looking.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2009 4:30:47 PM
I've been dealing with recurring back pain from an accident since 1974 and consequently strive for a mattress that will give me a good night's sleep. I do physical labor and have learned over the years how to avoid flareups and to sleep in more conducive postures. People are right on about the fetal position with padding between knees as the best. If you must sleep on your back however, a pillow under the knees will also help. Sleeping on the tummy is the absolute worst for your back other than upside down.

As for the "memory foam", I would urge you to do a simple google on "memory foam mattress toxins" and decide whether or not you want to sleep in a petroleum based cloud of polyurethane, fire retardants, arsenic and phosphor compounds. In my temporary enthusiasm about memory foam, I also found that they tend to be sweaty and the foam loses memory much faster than advertised. The natural rubber based foams seemed appealing but costly and would kill your back just trying to move them around. Good luck.
 jaqi
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2009 1:25:44 PM
Thank you for that infor on memory foam earthpuppy ... I had no idea that they contained all that! Mind when I did my lying around in the bed shop I wasn't at all sure about whether I was really comfy on them.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2009 6:02:18 AM
This site has a good discussion on the pros and cons of various mattresses.
http://www.consumersearch.com/mattress-reviews/foam-mattresses
I checked around for various customer reviews and complaints when I was shopping. Those also provide much insight. As with most things, personal preference and luck in finding the right fit come into play. When we start getting into the $2000 to $4000 range though, the right choice becomes more crucial. Then again. we spend about a third of our lives there.
http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/reviews/greenmattressescom/560-0-1.html
 crazy4mars
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/12/2009 12:58:30 AM
I would go with one of the adjustable sleep number air mattressess. You could always adjust it to your comfort. I have a foam topper on my very firm mattress and found it to be very hot. I now have 2 thick mattress pads on it to keep from overheating. Good luck.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2009 7:35:46 AM
I swear by my memory foam mattress topper as well. If you're concerned about toxins, look for the ones made in US that are advertised as toxin-free. If the fumes bother you, air it out for a few weeks before using it.

Given the controversy over Chinese-made products, I would avoid the Chinese-made ones.
 jaqi
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2009 9:30:00 AM
I am not sure we get US ones over here but I think the memory foam felt too firm when I tried them out in the store and I was there a fairly long time....in fact the sales lady thought I had dropped off to sleep... I hasten to add that if I had dropped off to sleep I would have bought the mattress I was lying on lol
 jaqi
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2012 2:29:25 PM
I thought I would just update and say I eventually bought a new mattress just before xmas and it is wonderful. Why I couldn't make my mind up sooner I will never know. I finally decided on a 1800 pocket sprung mattress on a pocket sprung divan and went for the soft tension. Never had a soft one before and I think that is where I had been going wrong all these years.

x I love my bed x
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2012 3:37:45 PM
Would you provide the manufacturer and model name/number for us mattress lovers? Mine is due for a change sometime soon. Testimonials from the happy sleepers are always appreciated. Glad you found a fine one to spend a third of your life with.
 jaqi
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 4:13:07 AM
It was a sleepmasters double 2 drawer set savoy and the mattress is soft tension 1800 pocket sprung with attached pillow top. It is not a memory foam. I did a lot of research in to the different types of mattresses and how they benefit different types of sleep patterns ie those who move around a lot and those who sleep in one spot all night etc and decided memory foam wasn't for me. I knew the moment I lay down on the display bed in the shop that it was the type for me.

Good luck in your search ... it is a tricky decision for those of us with back problems!
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Back pain need a new mattress