Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Thanksgiving leftovers.. what to do?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 raxarsr
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Thanksgiving leftovers.. what to do?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
to be honest......i love the leftovers more than the meal itself.........i take turkey and filling.....cover it with gravey and nuke it along with sweet potatos.......proubly my favorite meal
 Twilightslove
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Thanksgiving leftovers.. what to do?
Posted: 11/27/2009 1:47:08 PM
We usually warm it all up and eat it again till it is almost gone then I make some Turkey ala king with the last bit of turkey.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2009 3:00:32 PM
I didnt have all that much leftovers...I wanted to make my left over turkey with mole...I dont have enough turkey to make a decent samich.

Gramdmas South texas tomato-cumin pecan cornmeal dressing was a big hit...I added the giblet broth and meat. Mom stop adding to stuffing cuz my sister is a veggie-trian.

She did not dine with us so the meat went back in...Im gonna make a second batch for sunday...

I did very good this year, I was fully packed, but never overflowed...Well there is this sunday...mole and dressing.
 texasbaby
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2009 4:33:52 PM
I took all the turkey off the bones last night and dumped the carcass, bones, skin and so on into the soup pot. Then let it simmer all night and most of the day.
I've just strained it and returned the stock to the pot, added some celery, onion, part of the gravy and left over turkey with a bag of noodles. Turkey noodle soup for tonight's dinner.
The turkey is almost gone and there's just a little dressing and potatoes left. I still have pie, but I don't think that will last long either. I send home care packages with my family and that always takes care of most of it.
The best part of dinner yesterday for me ~ My darling daughter-in-law cleaned up the kitchen, while I put the food away!

tb
 MOD3
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/27/2009 5:13:23 PM
Funny..I was just going to post this...I usually just eat it till its gone..Except this year I have 9 pounds of turkey left over!!(yeah..It was a big one!)MOD3
 Optimist54
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2009 6:08:11 PM
I make sure I have enough turkey left over to make several batches of this (I freeze the cut-up turkey)
Cook some onion, celery and salt/pepper to taste, in enough water to cover, until partially cooked; add mushrooms and cut up turkey. Cook until heated through; add milk and heat to boiling; thicken with flour mixed with water.
I put it on biscuits but you could use toast too.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2009 4:47:33 AM
man turkey is so cheap this year...I wish I had more space in the freezer..

Jenny-o turkey for $.69 a pound. I buying two or three and ask my sister to holed one...

3 10 lbs-ders great for smoking, mole, superbowl chili...cant beat 7 bucks a bird.
 texasbaby
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2009 5:41:43 AM
They were cheap this year! I shop at HEB most of the time, they had turkeys for 40 cents a pound, a couple of weeks ago. I bought one that cost less than a whole chicken I got at the same time.
So, I went back a few days later and got another one.
Christmas I always cook ham, so the extra turkey will be used for something like SAguy suggested.
Turkey noodle soup last night was yummo!

tb
 oceaneyess
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2009 10:43:25 PM
TV DINNERS:

I take the left over food from Thanksgiving and make TV Dinners.

Last year on a sturdy paper plate, like Chinet,

I placed Turkey,mashed potatoes,yams, My veg, and stuffing on a plate...made an indentation in the mashed potatoes and stuffing and poured in some gravy and placed a roll on the plate as well..(not advisable to use cranberry sauce.)

I vacuum sealed the plates and tossed them in my freezer.

When ready to eat,just cut open, Remove the whole frozen dinner from the sealer bags and place on dinner plate and microwave. Or just cook on paper plate,but remove the roll after a few minutes as it takes a shorter time to heat up.

It's wonderful to have a nice Thanksgiving meal any time of year, especially when you just don't feel like cooking.

Enjoy
 Moonchild51
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2009 9:34:21 AM
You folks actually got turkey for .40 a lb? OMG!
Here in Cannuck land, we are paying .90 lb, and that is a darned good deal.

OT: I like to take all of my turkey meat and package it up with the gravy. That way, I can defrost a meal and just have to add the taters, veg and salad. Super easy, super quick on a workday week! Only problem is with two teens at home, leftovers are scarce!!
 texasbaby
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2009 11:00:58 AM
Nothing is left at my house but the memory and about half a pie. Even polished off the turkey noodle soup last night.
Sooo,, I'm heading to the kitchen and start a pot of chili,, it's actually cold outside today!!
 CharminC
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/28/2014 10:57:18 AM
Our Thanksgiving was last month and I swear, I cooked the best turkey and gravy yet. Freaking heaven!
What I did was,I coat my turkey in butter. Season with salt, pepper, italian seasonings, sage, rosemary, paprika and cayenne powder. The measurements are my secret *grins*
Inside the bird is chopped carrot, celery, onion, lemon and apple. Yes.. I said lemon and apple.
There's zero water in my gravy.
I put broth in a pot over the burner that my oven vents under with the turkey giblets and neck in it. The heat from the oven where my turkey is cooking for a couple hours heats the pan. I use this broth together with the grits from the turkey pan to make the gravy.

The leftover turkey, gravy and veggies were made into a big pot of soup.
Then ..........the leftover soup into a shallow casserole dish and topped with bisquick dumplings to make a quick pot pie.

Three meals!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2014 2:13:46 PM
I have a LOT of leftovers ... 2 kinds of cranberry sauce ... green beans w/mushrooms
and bacon ... stuffing w/crasins and pecans ... almost an entire turkey ... Jell-O w/sour
cream and pineapple ... of course, not a BIT of mashed potatoes or gravy!!!

but I do have TWO pumpkin pies left in the frig ... I had about 12 muffins left over but
I froze those cuz I know they turn out great if you just pop them in the microwave for
about 20-25 seconds ... but what can I do w/those pumpkin pies? I wanted to just
freeze them but I went online and "everyone" said pumpkin pies don't thaw well ... so
you folks are more expert than anyone else ... what's your take on freezing and, more
importantly, successfully THAWING pumpkin pies??
 raxarsr
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2014 7:39:49 PM
no.pumpkin pies dont freeze well.................wish you were close to me.i'd happily take care of those pies
 Molly Maude
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2014 10:44:02 PM
thanks, Raxarsr ... that is what I suspected ... most of my friends are diabetic and
wouldn't want even a taste of the pies ... Thanksgiving was going along well until
JUST as we were sitting down at the table ... when a hospital called to say that a
family member had passed away ...
 CharminC
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/2/2014 2:58:12 AM
I'm so very sorry to hear that Molly ((hugs)))
 daynadaze
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2014 3:22:01 PM
Sorry too Molly.

We knew that the leftovers were beyond their time when the container of turkey was taken out of the fridge and the lid opened and the crazy-for-turkey cat just sniffed and went back to sleep. Sometimes you just have to toss it. sigh
 daynadaze
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2014 11:35:27 PM
For the first time, my daughter put the turkey bones and a little water in the slow cooker and left it to brew away. We had never made stock before with bones. OMG! is that stock delicious! I mean it's amazingly delicious! She made turkey soup with it tonight, which was so good, then later I put some of it on a lump of Stove Top stuffing, and it was even better. I can't believe that all these years we have not use bones to make stock. Who knew.
 CharminC
Msg: 27
Posted: 12/6/2014 11:40:06 AM
Lol Daynadaze
Ive been doing this for years with all bones; chicken, beef and pork. It's great, isn't it?

Put fresh herbs in a cheesecloth in with the stock to flavor it and freeze for later use in anything ie: soups, gravies, sauces. :)
 Molly Maude
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2014 11:05:55 PM
I have to admit I've never made stock with bones either ... other than when
the bones have meat attached! next chance I get, I'll toss 'em in the crock
pot and see what happens ... how long do you simmer them? any other tips?

my mother used to make turkey soup after Thanksgiving and it was so
unbelievably HORRIBLE that I've never tried it! so ... any advice would be
appreciated ...

thank you for your kind comments about the Thanksgiving death in the
family ... the service was lovely and we all discovered he had a wealth of
friends none of us knew about ... dozens of people ... it was comforting ...
 daynadaze
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2014 1:32:53 PM
She put them in the crock pot with a little water late Thursday night after they took all the meat off to store, and left it going for 12 to 18 hours, but I don't know if that's normal. I don't care for the left-over turkey soup either, but this was way beyond that, just the stock alone was good enough to eat/slurp. My daughter then put some of the turkey bits in it, some chopped celery, onions, carrots, herbs, etc., just whatever was around from the dinner.
 MsMicki
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2014 7:20:40 PM
I cook a turkey a few times a year just so I can bag it up and freeze it!

Turkey Croquettes is probably my favorite to do with left over turkey......
but Turkey Divan is a close second!
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Thanksgiving leftovers.. what to do?