Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Finding your creative outlet?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Leahmel
Msg: 1
Finding your creative outlet?Page 1 of 1    
I have this need to create something and let my inner creativity come out, but I can't pinpoint what it is that I should be doing.

Have any of you ever felt confused about what creative outlet is best for you. I enjoy writing, but don't have much to work with, nor am I that great at it. I have been told many times that I am an excellent decorator, and have an eye for design. I just don't see that being useful in my daily life. I know I have to have some sort of creative talent that is waiting to come out, I can feel it!
 CappyHamper
Msg: 2
Finding your creative outlet?
Posted: 11/27/2009 11:31:40 PM
Is everyone creative, in the way that means "to produce"? Do you want to be an artisan? Or do you just want to express yourself in a way that defies convention?
If you truly enjoy writing, you would, I think-want to invest time and energy into increasing your skill and knowlege on the subject. Maybe a start would be to dig deep into the subject of creativity, the nature of it. I wish you all the best in your quest for something that you might be passionate about.
 blindsound
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2009 2:28:03 PM
I find most people overlook singing as a creative outlook. I am not sure on your vocal abilities but I have always turned to music when I am feeling creative.

Also cooking in and of itself is an artform. trust me. I am not a very good cook myself and and slightly envious of those who can not just cook but creat they're own dishes from nothingness.

any way hope that helps
 colt8301
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/28/2009 6:52:52 PM
I have this need to create something and let my inner creativity come out, but I can't pinpoint what it is that I should be doing.

Have any of you ever felt confused about what creative outlet is best for you. I enjoy writing, but don't have much to work with, nor am I that great at it. I have been told many times that I am an excellent decorator, and have an eye for design. I just don't see that being useful in my daily life. I know I have to have some sort of creative talent that is waiting to come out, I can feel it!

Well i know how you feel although, I know what outlet I'm in, I just got accepted into a theater academy in The Apple, anyway remember the most important thing about creativity is your "imagination" that's where it starts, in our society it driven towards being practical and being realistic, and being "realistic" kills your imagination. so as long as you have that you are on the right track. you remember when you were a kid and you thought you could do anything? That's what you want to achieve, now although you don't know what direction start "doing" things and that medium will find you.

as far as the writing thing write down your thoughts everyday and write down everything fantastical that comes, not all writers started writing novels. Every "idea" you get is special and you have to groom it and cherish. Anyway your on the right track, just start doing things and it will find you.
 ZenBeth
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/28/2009 6:53:06 PM
My outlets are varied which is why having a big big room where I do my pottery, weaving, sewing, wood working, stained glass, and other art projects is a must.

~Beth~
 E_keys
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/29/2009 6:44:25 PM
For me it's all about dialogue with other people, and I found it on songwriting websites where people share tracks, comment on them, and challenge each other. Craftsmanship in other areas can give me something too, so I do a little of this that and the other, but the home base is the place where I get new conversations out of it, which I don't for, say, counted cross stitch.

So, maybe you can keep your ears open for that. An activity which involves you with other people and new conversations whether it's decorating for people or creative writing on something like National Novel Writing Month where people go online and cheer each other on to finish their novels. (NaNoWriMo is november, so unfortunately, you've missed this one but there are many other similar things.)

Consider whether "being great at it" and "being useful at it" may not be the point. You didn't start your post with "how can I be useful". You said "I need to create something and let my inner creativity come out." Maybe you're hanging yourself up with the "great and useful" thing. Communities where people share stuff help to de-emphasize the ego thing.
 hereshecomesagain
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/30/2009 11:55:08 AM
I think that you need to look around at ways that you have already expressed yourself, and also, recall some times in which you felt like you were heard and understood, and then look at what you were doing in that time period.

I love my writing, I love clay and love my crayons and other drawing materials, but sometimes I want to create and all of those things just seem wrong. I fix it by having sex. I always feel a lot better after that!
 ChristopherBrooks
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2009 12:21:46 PM
I agree alot with what "Colt" had to say, personally when I was a kid I would draw all the time and was considered an artist, but after reading some novels I found that I REALLY loved reading and that's where I found my inspiration to become a writer, and I love it. I never draw anymore but writing is amongst my strongest passions now. I feel that you can be a good writer,singer or whatever but to have that feeling of fullfillment you need to find your passion, I think that's really what your searching for. There's no rules you don't HAVE TO be creative EVERY day but if you find that love that expression then you'll Want to do it everyday. Good Luck
 junipermoon
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2009 5:47:35 PM
i find expression in unconventional arenas ~ creating a stunning perennial bed, baking something amazing, blending a potion with essential oils or helping display inventory in a friend's shop.

i studied ballet and modern dance for 30 years or so, and love choreography. but that's a pretty expensive way to express creativity. from time to time, someone will ask me to collaborate, which thrills me.

writing has to be the simplest form of expression available to us. you don't need special equipment or a studio. just relax, experiment with words and see where language takes you.

good luck, and have fun!
 JDHamilton
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2009 8:06:13 PM
My creative outlet is music. I've been playing sax for 9 years, a little tuba, and just recently I decided to change my main instrument to the upright bass. Was I ever confused? Yeah, that's why I'm in accounting right now...I was confused when I signed up for college..I should've went for my passion: music. I'm gonna finish my associates degree then go for music instead.
 _rick_h
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/3/2009 8:22:22 AM
I have felt this way quite often. I am always seeking out new creative outlets. One of my tricks is to keep a journal. It doesn't matter what I write about, I just write. It is incredibly stimulating and really gets the creative urges percolating. I started writing my daily journal in 1998. I now have a stack about 4 feet tall. Most of the stuff in there is minor events and petty gripes, but among the flotsam is some valuable insights. It has helped unblock me and really led me to discover new creative passions, like photography. And even writing.

As a rule I journal three pages in the morning. This helps me in my job -- which requires a lot of writing. It also helps me focus on creative projects. Take a look at the book, The Artists Way (look it up online too).

It might help you rediscover your creative curiosity.

Cheers
 chaswhatif
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2009 1:17:26 PM
Very important to be creative,serendipitious in all ya do.
Try'em all. Mine is playing a trumpet,performance. But on the golf course I get creative too(5bucks a hole).
Find whatever it is and get paid to do what you'd be doing if ya had a billion.
If you study enforced absense of it...prison. So don't let go.
What makes you happy ya just were there? A decorator ought to stop at a watering-hole catering to 4,000.00 suits. Work w/a realtor...
 GuitarPlayinDude87
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/7/2009 2:29:45 PM
The singer of my old band and me used to do this when we just wanted to get some creativity out of us- One person gets an instrument and plays, one person draws what the music inspires. Since he was the vocalist and I was the guitar player just for fun I would usually end up drawing and he would play some cool bass lines or something.
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/8/2009 11:50:43 AM
Fortunately I've never had a problem finding a creative outlet. The OP's post kind of sounded like someone saying "I know I want to have a job where I make a lot of money, but I don't know what I want to do for a living yet."

I think we all want to be creative, but the million dollar question is "What to do?"
 Sizzle-24
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/9/2009 9:37:57 PM
Creativity is at its best when you dont force if out :-)
 tnsongbird61
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/23/2009 1:53:19 AM
Darlin I am 48 and the best advice anyone can give you is pay attention to your passion. Just because you haven't identified it doesn't mean it is not there. Nor does it have to make sense in your everyday life at first/ I have known my passion since I was 15 and have just now really started to act on it!If you feel about interior design and decorating like you just need to help those of us who are aesthetically challenged GO FOR IT! Have you not watched any house makeover shows? Start by helping a friend and then they will tell someone and so on and so on... Installation art is a venue you may want to explore It is fascinating to see art that peole can literally "Be In" just type in Installatin art and check it out . And Live Your Passion not practicality! Good Luck to you !
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Finding your creative outlet?