Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Adjusting to being a Grandparent dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 KnotUrFuturex
Msg: 2
Adjusting to being a Grandparent datingPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Hard time finding anybody with that criteria?? Since when?? Jeez Louise, That's all that's OUT there: Mid to late forties people with kids in their twenties who suddenly made mom and dad a NANA or a PAPAW!! Not sure why you're having a problem.

indefatigabilis
Msg: 3
Adjusting to being a Grandparent dating
Posted: 11/29/2009 1:12:23 PM
Resist the urge to wear your hair up in a bun and you'll be fine. That guy who is hitting on you is a grandpa. Welcome to the wonders of not having died yet.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/29/2009 2:04:12 PM
You are in a perfect position in life. Would you rather have little kids pulling at your skirt?

I am 51 with my kids grown and 2nd grandchild on the way. This is heaven for me! No hassles, no worries, everyone responsible for their own lives.

I now can do WHAT I WANT. It has taken me a lifetime to get here, and there is no place I would rather be.

Honestly, what could be better then this? Enjoy your age and your freedom. Many others WISH they were in your shoes.
 ladyluck4u55
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/29/2009 4:32:53 PM
I was a Grandma the first time when I was 47. Now I have 2 more. Im proud of the fact that Im a Grandma,they are the most precious things in my life. If someone would have a problem with that then I don't want them anyway. Besides most guy's my age usually have grandchildren of their own,gives us something in common immediately.
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/29/2009 4:51:55 PM
I have had so many guys tell me about their grandkids that it made me feel like I was missing out...I am happy my kids arent parents yet cause they are only 19 and 21 and being a parent is a lifetime thing, but when they get here Ill be happy to be a granny!
 Rob_SA
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/29/2009 5:52:08 PM
Kick back and enjoy the wonders of grand-parenting! My 26 year old daughter has just returned to work for three days a week and I'm self under-employed so I'm looking after my seven month old grand-daughter on those days. It'll send me broke, and I'm tired by the end of the day, but I'm totally stoked to be able to help. In fact she's snuggled up on my lap as I type... not her happy best 'cos a couple of teeth are coming through and she's got tonsilitis and a bit of a fever. Who better to look after a crook baby than her Poppa? :-)

Back to your question. I'm 52, so I'd be expecting to date a woman between say 45 and 55. Most women in that age group would have kids ranging from late teens through to early 30s. Their kids would be independent and may have kids of their own, which may mean some occasional babysitting or family outings. What's not to like about that scenario? Once again... Kick back and enjoy the wonders of grand-parenting!
 Write Time
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2009 1:31:02 AM
Not an issue I even think about. I've earned every one of my 46 years, and I'm proud of them. Can't turn back the clock or pretend otherwise, so why even give age (pardon the pun) the time of day?

If you focus on age as an issue, then it will be an issue. Focus elsewhere.
 Rob_SA
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/30/2009 6:01:43 AM
I'd be cautiously optimistic that you'll soon be a grandparent. Once the bub's arrived you might be surprised just how quickly the unconditional love you had for your kids is there again for the next generation. I hope everything goes well for the pregnancy and the future!
 indefatigabilis
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/30/2009 6:46:46 AM
Why can't people just include all of their concern in the opening post?

Yes, it's OK for a dating Grandma to shave her privates. No, she doesn't have to. As for flow, I am unqualified to answer menopause related questions except ones that have to do with artificial lubrication.

I hope I have clearly demonstrated that the adjustment of adding Grandmother before your name is going to be something you have to figure out for yourself and to not expect this slight change in your familial status to spare you the usual rigors of mindless flirtation.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/30/2009 8:53:02 AM
OPie, you live in one of the larger urban metroplexes on the east coast, lol! If you are having trubble finding dates, it is *NOT* because of the age of your kids, I promise you. And becoming an Oma is going to make no difference, once way or the other. Take a really good look at yourself, and how you express yourself in your profile, and make some adjustments.

This verges on a "nice girl" thread.

Good luck!
 daffie
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/30/2009 12:27:48 PM
i've been a grandmother for over 8 years, i have four beautiful grandchildren...and it's made no difference to my social life...
unless your grandchildren are living with you this won't change your lifestyle...

people shouldn't label themselves as this or that...

retain your individuality,
being a grandparent is merely a part of who you are...
it doesn't define you...
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/30/2009 1:40:43 PM
"Nice Guy" threads are *famously* started by guys who can't get dates (often for real good reasons, lol) blaming women for being shallow, too choosy, gold-diggers or fixated on Brad Pitt. . . . You see, if only *women* weren't so. . . X or Y or Z, then *they* would be In Like Flynn. . . . The guy in question often has an empty profile, pictures of dead animals, and no interests that would actually likely interest 98% of the female population. Or he may be a short smoker with the preggers belly who lists himself as athletic. . . . The variations are endless. Or the profile may be okay, but he reveals an anti-woman bias on the forums, sometimes verging on extreme hostility. . . .

HugZ!
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2009 10:50:38 PM
although i think wooby may be onto something here, personally, i'm not "getting it". you go on about family and church in your profile, but say you are not ready to be a grandma? is this more about coming to grips with your age or is it about a baby? let alone a possibly sick baby.

i did things backwards and adopted teens at age 50. now, i have a one year old grandson who i helped deliver in newborn intensive care because he was a premie. my daughter clings to him as if he were a body part! he sits on her lap while she does her homework! i have another coming along from my son and now some of the concerns brought to me by his girlfriend are beginning to worry me. she will be calling to talk more. what she has said thus far is not sounding good. i hope i misunderstood her. as for me? what can i do? help her get the best information to make the best decision and to get the best care. it's "their" baby.

for some reason, the last three men in my life did not have children or were out of touch with their children from long, long ago. none were too "into" babies, but they didn't seem to hold my grandchildren against me. plus one of them also adopted the same kids--so they are also his granchildren as well.

really, you need to worrry more about interacting and relating and communicating with people, than overburden yourself with worrying about your particular "demographics". learn feelings as well as facts about the men you come across!
 Drgnctchr1
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/2/2009 9:33:04 PM
Just tell him and watch the implosiom.
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/3/2009 2:14:16 PM
OP:
Not a problem, whatsoever. I bet dating - or finding a volunteer to date or have a relationship, will be just as difficult as before.
Nothing changes when you have a grandkid, unless you are the one who's expected to rear the child.
In that case you end up in the category of people with (very) young kids, which is a separate issue...
 RockDrummer_2010
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/3/2009 3:09:37 PM
So now you're a GMILF...Ride Granny, Ride

Grandmas D0 It on a Harley
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2009 6:44:09 PM

That reminds me of last summer...hot guy on a Harley...pulls up next to my truck; my 6 yr old grandson rolls down the window to get a better look.....I said, "my grandson likes your bike"....LOL! and he says....I like his grandma!" LOL!

OP, I've been raising 2 of grandchildren for almost 4 years now. At first, I'd just automatically assumed that "nobody wanted to date a 56 yr old woman raising 2 children". LOL! well....the fact is....that there are those to whom it seems NOT to be an issue. :-) Some, of course, have run like scalded dogs when they heard the news....and, hey...who can blame them...at least they were honest.

Then there are those who, for reasons ranging from...it's no issue because they're not looking for a "serious relationship", to those who have said they thought it might be cool to raise kids "now"....that they're older and more mature, and have more time....and that they felt like they missed out on a lot of the "fun" parts of raising children because they were too busy developing a career.

You're just becoming a grandparent....NOT necessarily being made responsible for the 24/7/356 care of the child. 48 is certainly not "too young" to be a grandparent, so anyone is your dating age range is likely to be a grandparent as well. MY advice would be....NOT to forget that you're also a woman, and that you have a life to live as well. Do NOT reject dates because you're "expected" to babysit. It's not uncommon for young parents to need help financially...and that's the FUN part of being a grandparent.....SHOPPING!!! LOL! Grandma's DO do it on a Harley, on the dance floor, in hot air balloons, at the batting cages, golf course, campgrounds.....and any other damn place they WANT TO! There's no reason whatsoever that becoming a grandmother would require any "adjusting" to, in order to date!
 FriendlyFreeSpirit
Msg: 27
Posted: 12/3/2009 9:41:22 PM

Rock on!
You're a cool man, RockDrummer..
 rearguard*2
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2009 5:03:22 AM
Personally, I like having kids around in life, and do not look forward to the day when I am "free" particularly. While there are a lot of the things associated with young children that are arduous, with a good woman around to help out its certainly not something that would put me off.
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/4/2009 8:28:46 AM

And Grandpas do it under water...

thecatsmeoww
 mctg
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/4/2009 12:07:51 PM
Just don't make the same mistake as me. On a second date I was telling the man cute stories about my granddaughter's toilet training. Six months late he told me that he wondered why I thought he would want to know about that !
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/5/2009 7:09:06 PM
Grandmas these days seem to have it going on. No more rocking chairs, no matronly flowered dresses and hair worn in a bun, or the granny glasses. I've seen some pretty sexy grandmas.
On the other hand, I'm probably just immature, but there's something creepy about dating somebody's grandpa.
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/6/2009 7:47:07 AM

Awwww Rockdrummer... don't drop yer drawers just yet.
I'm one of those who prefer rice cookers, and a man who I can look up to, and respect.

but there's something creepy about dating somebody's grandpa.

I don't subsribe to this ^ ^ ^
Men our age are VERY likely to have grandkids...
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/6/2009 9:43:41 AM

I don't subsribe to this ^ ^ ^
Men our age are VERY likely to have grandkids...

Yes I know. I'm trying to accept it, but I'm a late bloomer who's never been married or had children. It's hard to fit in romantic pursuits with young children in tow. It's strange because I actually like a certain type of older men.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2009 10:11:13 AM

Yes I know. I'm trying to accept it, but I'm a late bloomer who's never been married or had children. It's hard to fit in romantic pursuits with young children in tow. It's strange because I actually like a certain type of older men.

I too have never married and I don't have children but I'm not sure that if I date a grandfather tht he would not necessarily have his grandchildren in tow. The times that he might would be times such as a visit to the zoo and that is kind of fun to see it through the eyes of a child. I would think that unless a grandparent is raising a grandchild(ren) then most grandparents would be removed from having them in tow most of the time.

Nice picture, Grandma Sofi.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Adjusting to being a Grandparent dating