Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Congratulations to the Grey Cup winners      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Congratulations to the Grey Cup winnersPage 1 of 1    
While the Montreal Allouettes fought a hard played game and are to be congratulated as the official champions of the 2009 Grey Cup, it might be debatable about whether they were the deserving team on this day on Nov 29/2009.

Nevertheless, they did what they had to do and were certainly NOT undeserving.

But the Riders, as more often then not, showed they are winners....not by winning Grey Cups...but by endearing themselves to their fans and by bringing an excitement and vigor to the Canadian Football League....and football fans everywhere.
 TooShadows
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Congratulations to the Grey Cup winners
Posted: 11/30/2009 7:41:14 AM
Well,I'd like to say that the Riders should be proud of themselves for the way they played,but it's hard when when they basically lost the game because they can't count. However they played a heck of a game. Most sportscasters picked them to lose by a minimum of 2 touchdowns. And as much as I hate Montreal for being so good of a team,congratulations are in order for the comeback and win.
 OhNoItsDano
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/30/2009 12:04:29 PM
The question that will be asked for a while is did Montreal win or did Saskatchewan lose it?

I personally think while Montreal did mount a nice come back from a dismal 1st half, someone on the Rider side forgot to count...

To have won the Grey Cup in one play and lose the Grey Cup in the next cause of a stupid penalty...I can't even imagine how that feels.
 haywiresue
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/1/2009 3:58:27 PM
This was one of the weirdest games I have ever watched. I was cheering for the Al'sbased on how they played all season, and the game should have been a really good struggle considering how hungry the Riders were.

Between the Riders counting fiasco and bad calls from the officials, it definitely was a win that left everyone with a so-so kind of feeling. Even though the Al's won, I wished they would have won it with a TD or FG instead of a do-over penalty play.

I don't think Calvillo played a good game and to me it seemed like he choked and began to second guess himself, right from the start of this game.

The calls sucked at some very critical times, like the Montreal ball that was ruled incomplete when the officials believed the ball hit the ground before going into the players hand. We watched this at the party I attended and with the Shaw video box that allows playback, we watched it numerous times and even at such a slow speed that it was evident that it was a completed pass and should have stood. When the Al's kicker missed the uprights it was really too bad. Then that dumb penality for having too many players on the field by the Riders , and the penalty and do-over was the right thing to do, but so sad for the Riders.

I prefer the big football game of the season to be a demonstration of dominance on the field, not a crap shoot of which team makes the most errors.

Ok, now on to hockey..........................
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2009 10:09:17 PM
It will never cease to intrigue me how people will adamantly see what they want to see inspite of evidence to the contrary.

I also have stop action on a large TV and I saw what Reviewers with the highest in technical review equipment saw, that is: "there was no conclusive evidence to overturn the call made by the official on the spot that ball the did not hit the ground" Keep in mind it is not a catch unless a player clearly gets his hands under the ball, preventing it from touching the ground. In other words you cannot use the ground (Trap the ball) to help you catch the ball. From what I saw, the player caught the ball at precisely the same time as it touched the ground...which means IT WAS NOT A CATCH.

Also the reason Montreal did not win by a FG or TD was because they were not good enough that day to win by that much.

Yes the Riders could have done a number of things to put the game away....but due to alot of factors including the fact that Montreal is a great team....they were unable.

However, the above comment about the Refs not calling that a catch.....and another one I heard on the TV when it was an obvious "non-call" when a Reciever purposely ran right at the Rider defender on what was likely an overthrown ball in the end zone STEAM ME UP ...why ?
Because unobjectivity has made you forget /ignore a OBVIOUS interference call when a Rider defender was about to catch a tipped ball late in the game...that ball caught...Montreal does not score...game over
AND
Late in the game when a Rider Reciever (Rob Bagg) was stopped, The Montreal defender (Cox) spears him in the back shoulder, shattering his collar bone.....NO PENALITY.

So joke all you want about an absent minded slip....compare that to the number of absent minded slips by the Refs
AND
claim all you want as I saw on the Alberta Forum, that Saskatchewan is full of banjo picken idiots who cannot count.....the truth of the matter, based on the poor performance of Duval during that game HE DID NOT DESERVE A SECOND CHANCE...but he got it...oh well Let the Allouetas enjoy FOR NOW.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2009 10:21:02 PM
Lastly Blue Bomber fans...after the season The Bombers had, you might want to re-consider any snide remarks about the Riders.

You know I have talked to alot Rider fans about football lately...and not one....NO! NOT ONE RIDER FAN! made any disparaging remarks against the Bombers....sure we shake our head ....but its with empathy......we remember, that Rider faithful had many...many rough years.
EXCEPT on Labor Day, keep that in mind (anything goes on Labor Day...lol)
AND
In my opinion, if you chose to cheer for Montreal instead of Saskatchewan with your team out...Shame on you!
If you somehow think Montreal even gives a small concern about you..think again. I know for a certain had the places been switched around and it was Winnipeg and Montreal in the Grey Cup....you would be hard pressed to find one Rider fan cheering for Montreal.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2009 1:08:59 AM
That game was classic CFL football. Who can win a game on one play only to lose the game on the next.

They oughta just teach those Rider players how to count next year! :)
 haywiresue
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/2/2009 9:09:53 AM
TYK - we can agree to disagree about the calls made by the officials.

Just cause MB is located on the map next to the provice that is hard to spell, but easy to draw - doesn't mean we have to cheer for them if the Bombers are not in the Grey Cup Final. If the Bombers were playing the Al's my comment would have been..the Al's should win based on their performance during the season, but it would be nice if the Bombers could upset them, and yes I would be cheering for the Bombers.

Montreal deserved to be in the final based on their excellent record all year and why would you not want to see them win the cup after the year they had. Oh, I forgot, many of you were cheering for the Cinderella team instead.

I don't buy into that east v.s. west crap, and crossover spot in the play offs. The Grey Cup Final should be played by the top 2 teams in the regular season, and play offs should be to break ties to determine the top 2 teams. Not to give every team one more chance at playing a good winning game.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2009 5:59:19 PM
You know what I just got to say something .....with all due respect to YES Montreal had a good team ...A wonderful team...OK!!
But in the last 20 years there have been 8 teams with records of 15 wins + in a season. As of now by the friggin skin of their teeth, ONLY 4 of those teams won the Grey Cup.

The 1976 Sask. Roughrider team may have (argubably) been the best there ever was. Check their history of how many games they won in the season that year......BUT they lost the Grey Cup...on the last play of the game. It happens
BUT
Quit this BS about what a great season Montreal had....
Keep in mind that they did not have to play as many games against Western teams as Western teams have to play.....If they had THEY not likely BUT VERY LIKELY would not have been 15-3

And if you were BORN and RAISED on the prairies and you do not see why you should cheer for Sask over Montreal..(so that doesn't apply to you Fort Garry) ....well....then YOU JUST DON'T GET IT ! SORRY !
 ~Emerald~
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2009 7:08:09 PM
I have to say, that I had fun - there were all of 3 of us at the bar watching the game - the other two were diehard riders fans - both sask boys born and raise - so I had fun cheering for the other team, just to annoy them - HOWEVER, when push comes to shove, I ALWAYS chear for the team that is on our side, in this case, the Riders - so it was a really crazy 4th to watch...

I agree with Tempt on the comment about cheering for the team thats in our half - I am that way no matter if its hockey or football...I always cheer for the local team and if they didnt make, then for the team that represents our division...its all about loyalty...
 haywiresue
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/4/2009 8:08:31 AM
TYK - your football Riders had their glory days, just like my hockey Canadians - lighten up, and understand that we may never see domination like that again. Like many other teams in the CFL, the Riders are building and trying to find that magic mix that gives them supreme dominance in the sport.

Sure there have been other teams who had a very successful year and not won the cup, but they were the favorites (most likely to win) based on their seasons win numbers. Yes, you are right, there have been upsets and that goes along with the game. I am not the first person to say that the winner of the Grey Cup will be the healthiest best team between the final 2 teams that have made it through the playoffs, and capitalizes on the other teams mistakes.

Its not BS that Montreal had a good season - its stats, didn't they have the most wins in the league this year? The playoffs are just that a one last kick at the cat for the rest of the teams to try and fill that one other spot in the Grey Cup Final. Playing extra games is the price the playoff teams pay for not having the most wins in the season. Its no different in many other sports, so quit complaining - I don't think you would be so pissy if the Riders happened to be in first place prior to the playoffs.

I was born and raised here in Wpg and I pride myself on being a Canadian, not a westerner. I can appreciate superior efforts put forth from any Canadian Team in any sport, regardless of what province they hail from. As I mentioned earlier, based on their regular season stats, Montreal earned top spot in the Grey Cup Final and were considered the favorites to win. Why not cheer for the Al's and hope for a good football game, if my home team is not in the final, its not like I'm a regular Riders melon head fan.
 OhNoItsDano
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/4/2009 8:32:13 AM

Its not BS that Montreal had a good season - its stats, didn't they have the most wins in the league this year?

While it's true, they did have the most wins, but TYK's point is valid...almost all of the 2nd half of the season was against the East and well...not much of a challenge. Had they been in the West, I'm not sure they'd have the same record.

I don't think you would be so pissy if the Riders happened to be in first place prior to the playoffs.

Weren't the Riders first in the West?

I was born and raised here in Wpg and I pride myself on being a Canadian, not a westerner. I can appreciate superior efforts put forth from any Canadian Team in any sport, regardless of what province they hail from. As I mentioned earlier, based on their regular season stats, Montreal earned top spot in the Grey Cup Final and were considered the favorites to win. Why not cheer for the Al's and hope for a good football game, if my home team is not in the final, its not like I'm a regular Riders melon head fan.

Can't disagree there...cheer for whoever you want. If it was BC and Toronto in the Grey cup, does that mean I should cheer for Toronto cause they're closer to me? LOL Personally, I was cheering for Sask cause I like to see the underdog win every now and then...and they ALMOST did it.

...too bad for that Rider's dozen!

All in all, an interesting year in the CFL.
 haywiresue
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/4/2009 11:36:29 AM
Dano you and TYK are right about the second half of the season, but that is not taken into consideration when first place in the league is decided - its all about wins & losses.

Yes, the riders were first in the west but my comment was about being first in the league prior to the playoffs. I don't think that if the riders sat where the Al's did, TYK would not have been whining about number of games played in the playoffs.

I too sometimes cheer for the underdogs and have players on other teams that I would like to see win the cup. However its a team sport and I totally agree Dano, that if the Riders not made that number of men on the field error, the game would have been theirs. Its all about creating opportunities from your opponents mistakes. Doesn't mean that either team is more deserving or has better players, it about who steps up and makes the most of what is thrown at them.

I wouldn't have wanted to be the 13th rider on the field that caused the penalty, or the Al's kicker who missed the uprights, if the Riders didn't make that error and had won the game.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2009 7:15:22 PM
It was a great game....and as Rider fan I am proud that 2 out of 3 of what are considered the best Grey Cups of all included Rider teams...1989 & 2009. Sorry but my biased mind didn't pay much attention to the 3rd....not sure who was in it.

All you Bomber fans might say "well what about Bomber Grey Cup appearances?"
But the interesting thing about the Bombers is they either dominated or they are eliminated.

And my alter ego must now speak about the Winnipeg Blue Bombers now:
The Bombers have had worse years for wins but frankly I feel that between last year and this year they hit a new low. Of course I am not talking about the football players but rather the organization.
They now have gone the longest than ANY team in modern CFL without winning a Grey Cup...it has gotten to the point that because of what is going on off the field, fans are rebelling by not buying Season Tickets.
I have seen this before!
Its exactly that type adversity that a long term Rider fan endured and over came with an infectious loyalty that made the Riders fans the obnoxious, outrageous, egocentric team supporters they are today.(remember this my alter ego speaking..lol)

Bomber fans can do the same.....but the organization is going to have to meet them more than half way.
-Bombers have the best looking uniforms in the CFL ---infact they are up there in design with the best in the NFL

-Bombers have by far, the best mascots of any team....CFL or NFL.

-its too bad that the "Winnipeg" is such a familiar part name. The Riders used to be refered to as the Regina Riders from time to time but when they made it clear that "they" belong to the province, it became a matter of pride for the province...not just the city.....The Bombers need to involve THE WHOLE PROVINCE.

-I am skeptical about "private" ownership of the team....I think the team is best served through community ownership.

-The Bombers need to clean up whatever is wrong with it internally

The Bombers need to bring back Dinnywitty....he only back home teaching high school football.

I am sure if you try....Bombers fans can be just as nausiating and irritating as Rider fans if you stick in there until the organization "gets with the program".

Lastly Hey ! HAY! wire....I think you may have misread my earlier comments ....I never "whined" or otherwise made any comment about the Riders playing more games than the Alloutas....because they didn't!.....they played the same...but you may not have realized that since you have such strong allegiance to Quebec....

However, as Dano confirmed....they played more games against more competitive teams in the West.....
 Perfect_Gentleman
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/5/2009 12:03:50 AM
Bombers have gone 19 years without winning, which gives them the longest current drought in the CFL between championships, but they are far from the longest drought in modern CFL history. The Roughriders went 23 years between winning in 1966 and 1989. The Riders also went from the time of their inception to 1966 without winning.

Fans will support the Bombers when they are winning. If they aren't winning, then they don't show up. When we string together some unsuccessful seasons, then attendance dips. We saw that during Rheinebold era and we are seeing it again. Kelly is the antithesis of Rheinebold when it comes to dealing with the media. The media, however, doesn't like Kelly. The media whipping up the fans to try to drive out a coach is nothing new. Heck, they did it with Cal Murphy at the end of his tenure here...it obviously helps sell papers. We've weathered the loss of popular players in the past, but as long as we replaced them with capable players, it didn't affect the team's popularity. This year our big mistake was the miscalculation at QB. Not the first time we have done this. Anyone remember when we brought in the over the hill Roy Dewalt to ineffectual results? A poor QB in the CFL is almost fatal to winning a title. The only hope is a stifling defence which is what carried us to victory in the 1988 season. The defence this year had talent, but not the dominating unit that would be required to balance out such a poor offence. We followed the same formula that brought in backup QB's from other teams to be our starter. It worked with Khari Jones and to a lesser degree with Kevin Glenn. This time out, the plan didn't work.

All I will say about the Bombers uniforms is that the last major change to them coincided with us becoming inept on the field. Remember the Bombers came up with t heir new uniforms to try to cash in on merchandise sales? Unfortunately, it was the same year as the "Save Our Jets" which diverted a lot of people's discretionary spending towards the Jets and the Bomber merchandising plan had the proverbial wrench thrown into it. Am I saying that the uniforms have anything to do with losing? No, I don't believe that...but I enjoy pointing out the coincidence.

Dinwiddie continues to teach. If he was that hot as a QB, don't you think one of the other teams...or any other professional football team (such as Arena League) would have brought him in? He had the occasional good game, but so does Michael Bishop. Neither of them are the answer.

As for the teams playing an unbalanced schedule outside of their division, just remember, a number of years ago the East teams only played the other East teams and the West only played the West. The Eastern champion would play the Western champion for the Grey Cup. I think this practice stopped sometime in the 1950's when an interlocking schedule was finally adopted. This is why if you check team's all time records vs. each other, you see that the Bombers have much fewer games against Eastern division teams than they do the West.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2009 9:12:05 AM
Ok ! PERFF G ! Where you been? On the previous thread, re:CFL, your informed comments would have been appreciated.

Although your comments somewhat read like a documentary, I sense some biases I would like to address.

-pre-1989 in not modern...ha! Ok thats an excuse ! You got me on that one. HOWEVER, under the duress under which this team is playing it will take a miracle (which has not been unheard of in the CFL-like a pure mental mistake on the last play of a football game). for the Bombers to win the Cup next year...That will be 20 years ! And not far off the record held by the Sask Riders in modern history...( I think is generally thought of as beginning in 1948).

-My comment on Dinny Witty was more about informing any who had not heard about where he is ( it seemed he just disappeared) than an expression of wanting him back. He was not my favorite, as it seemed he was not enough of a scrambler, but he played well enough when he played and scared the hell out of the Riders in the Grey Cup game. I think another year of developing under a veteran QB might have developed something..

-I REALLY dislike the sense I get from some who seem to infer that Kelly made ONLY ONE mistake in player selection. He made alot of mistakes and got lucky they didn't hurt him as bad as ONE GREAT BIG MISTAKE. Bringing in Lefors as the starter with absolutely no back up ...no veterans around...nada! was stupid, idiotic and worse than Toronto dumping a premium player to their league competition the Ti-Cats. It could have been disasterous if it had not been for Bishop's perenial ability to perform well in the short term. And while he played admirably, remember ...we could have gotten Printers instead.

-Its funny that you coincide the change in uniforms with the Bomber downfall. I had always connected the arrival of Gainer the Gopher with beginning a dark period of time for the Riders, where they quit being competitive for a long time.....don't quote me but I think it may have been 1977...not sure on that.

-I agree with your formula : Poor winning Season= reduced Season Ticket sales
2 Poor winning Seasons= even more reduced ST sales
but I think I will add:
2 Poor winning Seasons + one beligerent coach to media & FANS= possible team bankruptcy and a "cheap buy" for the ASPERS.
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Congratulations to the Grey Cup winners