Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What is your name?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TheReason_
Msg: 3
view profile
History
What is your name?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Hi, my name is Rob.

:shrugs:
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 4
What is your name?
Posted: 11/30/2009 7:50:45 PM
If I am interested, I'll use my name sooner. If not, I will use an abbreviation of my screenname, since my name isn't relevant.
 ForumFilly
Msg: 5
What is your name?
Posted: 11/30/2009 7:57:06 PM
When I write to someone, I sign my first name. Why on earth wouldn't I ask the same of them? I would not continue communicating with someone who wouldn't give me their first name. Too creepy! Most of the men, who have written to me and were serious about getting to know me, signed the initial email with their first name. I don't want to have to ask someone, "By the way, what's your name?". Nor would I say to a friend, "I'm chatting with this great guy online and he really interests me but I don't know his name." Don't you think that is really weird? Why wouldn't you want to tell someone your first name? I think that's taking security to the extreme.

BTW - My first name isn't Forum. It's Shelley.
 Opusvoid
Msg: 6
view profile
History
What is your name?
Posted: 11/30/2009 10:51:05 PM
I'm kind of weird. I don't mind giving up my name, but it's not on my profile which is a little odd since it's not like I'm trying to hide. I usually don't care about the name as I won't remember it until I've taken an interest in the person I'm talking to...online and off.
What is your name?
Posted: 12/1/2009 12:34:54 AM
i've always given my name in the the first message to forum friends and potential dates alike. if i don't get theirs back in the first reply, i'll nudge for it. the only time i haven't given mine is when i was firing back at an ass.

helen's on the right track; my thought is the lack of signed emails is a product of IMing.
 BlueEyes1712
Msg: 8
view profile
History
What is your name?
Posted: 12/1/2009 2:23:44 AM
I prefer knowing and using names in emails for it personalizes a letter correspondance. When I am corresponding soically, first names, when it is a business corresopndance, last names first and if you have a first name using both first and last in business correspondancce. Both make the letter personal. When a mass mailer comes, generic non name is suitable but most know to include a last name to help make something so drab a solicition letter to feel more personal.
So yes names are important so you have a better idea who you are talking to.
 Malice From Wonderland
Msg: 9
What is your name?
Posted: 12/1/2009 3:26:23 AM
Wtf. It is address and phone number that pisses me off. I wan their names. because from now on I am going to have their sorry asses ran at the local PD and call all weight loss centers to see if they are a current member. Asking for a name is one thing. All the other stuff is another. I want to know who these people are because you can find out a lot about them. :)
 DaveInMableton
Msg: 10
What is your name?
Posted: 12/1/2009 4:58:12 AM
Hmm, well, I guess I don't have to give mine out as you can probably guess my first name and the city I live in
 OutMind
Msg: 12
What is your name?
Posted: 12/1/2009 12:45:52 PM
I never asked for a name, because that is a good way to judge if they are liking you or not. If in their reply they have no name, you know the conversation may remain aloof and distant and not go anywhere. I do put my own name on the first email, and by that nature. If they sign with their pen name, that usually means they do not trust easily. If they put their name, it usually means they want to get to know you better. When people offer without being asked, is always a good sign.
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 13
view profile
History
What is your name?
Posted: 12/1/2009 12:54:12 PM
If I make initial contact, I include my first name. If I get a return message and she doesn't include her name, typically the non-interest is apparent in the reply. If there seems to be an interest or enthusiasm, etc. there's typically a name signed at the end, as well.

First contacts made to me...I don't recall any that didn't include a first name.

David
 DanZX9
Msg: 16
What is your name?
Posted: 12/2/2009 5:00:48 PM

Huh? If am interested in getting to know a fellah one of the FIRST things I’m going to want to know is his name. I mean, come on; I can’t keep calling him loneboner69 forever.

loneboner69? haha I would SO take that username if I could change it.
 EvilLolli
Msg: 18
view profile
History
What is your name?
Posted: 12/6/2009 3:01:44 AM
I think it depends on the name. If you have a first name that is extremely common(i.e. Joe, Sue, Bob, Jen, etc.)-why not? If you have an unusal name--caution is necessary and giving out a first name could be dangerous. Last time I looked into it there are only a handful of people that have my first name in my state-so not so much for the name giving too soon. Also if you have ever been stalked or harrased by someone in the past, giving out your name too soon online could be an issue too.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 19
What is your name?
Posted: 12/6/2009 7:41:15 AM
If a guy can't give me his first name quickly, I think he has something to hide. If he doesn't give me a name, I ask, "What should I call you?"

Last names are another matter.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 21
What is your name?
Posted: 12/11/2009 9:31:21 PM
Since my username is Golden Moon Rose, I will often shorten it to just Rose if I'm interested in getting to know a man better. If not, I prefer to keep things impersonal by signing with my full username.
 TheReason_
Msg: 22
view profile
History
What is your name?
Posted: 12/12/2009 10:51:37 AM
I hate when they mention their name, and then you forget it.

Awkward

:(
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 23
What is your name?
Posted: 12/14/2009 8:10:26 AM
It makes me uneasy when people initiate contact with me without identifying themselves. I just got a message from someone last night that read, "Are you enjoying your evening?" There was no name signed or anything. After the third message, I asked him, "Do you always contact women without telling them who you are?" to which he replied, "Yes." I then said, "Buh-bye".
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 25
What is your name?
Posted: 2/25/2010 3:26:54 AM
All anybody needs to know is my first name and they can find out tons of information about me-- full name, address, phone, website with bio and four years of blogs. So online I give a shortened version, which is a nickname I don't like at all but if I didn't give any name that would seem weird. I'm forced into a lie right off the bat all for something that, really, is inconsequential.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 27
What is your name?
Posted: 2/25/2010 3:09:23 PM
You should give out personal information when you fell comfortable doing so. If someone asks then say let me get to know you a little better first. Not all people will go for this but you have to feel comfortable about which is more important.

I've been on the other end of the stick. I really liked this woman but after like 10 emails she never responded with her name so I broke it off. It's a fine line as you don't know if someone is coning you.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 28
What is your name?
Posted: 2/26/2010 2:21:47 PM
^^^ I would - I do all the time. Then again I never ask unless/until I've been talking with someone a while. To me the name doesn't matter early on. If we become friends or decide to meet with the intention of it going further then that's different.

They may offer it, and that's their choice - I may offer mine, and that's my choice. It's not a requirement on either end.
 Water75
Msg: 30
What is your name?
Posted: 3/3/2010 12:59:24 PM
how is that rude?i thought people said hi my name is eric,as a way to greet people?boy your on something eles love.you just chased away half the men on here sorry,but i have never heared such a thing.
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 32
view profile
History
What is your name?
Posted: 3/22/2010 7:39:25 AM
I include my first name in emails I send out as first contacts...I'd rather be referred to by name in emails, rather than by my username

When I first received a message from my now boyfriend he was using his middle name as his profile name. I was a little surprised when he introduced himself in the opening sentence with a different name. Then again on that site I had originally not had a picture and made up a name similar to my middle name as well. By the time he wrote to me I was using my real name in my profile.

Since I am no longer on dating sites looking for a date I rarely message anyone. I don't have my name on this profile but if for some reason I write to someone usually having to do with the forum, I almost always sign with my first name. I like it when they do the same.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What is your name?