Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Drugs Visions and the Bible question      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ZenBeth
Msg: 1
Drugs Visions and the Bible questionPage 1 of 1    
Typed in drugs and the Bible and didn't come up with anything, and have a question. Watching National Geographic channel tonight they were discussing the book of Revelation and how so many things in the Bible seem to be written in a way that one has to ask what role did mind altering drugs play in helping the writers of the texts have their visions. Both in the Jewish texts and the ones for and after Christ.

Can someone recommend books that discuss this?
 tesseracttoo
Msg: 2
Drugs Visions and the Bible question
Posted: 12/3/2009 1:37:02 AM
The annointing oil that Jesus supposedly used was 7 points marajuana to one part olive oil. That does lay credence to him healing the being as cannabanoid drugs are very effec8ive against glaucoma and cateracts. (I apologise if I'm breaking a rule, that was in the archaelogical finds, and I am not advocating it use anywhere illegal.)

All the news articles on it seem to be gone, but this guy has a nicely set up blog to som informative links :)
http://www.claudemariottini.com/blog/labels/Archaeology.html
 kornbluth
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2009 2:45:45 AM

_The Doors of Perception_ by Aldous Huxley.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2009 7:32:14 AM
Why does it have to be drug induced visions?
As soon as we start attributing the visions the prophets experienced to hallucinogenic "trips" then we further inflame those of no faith to continue on the tirade of "see, see, see!'

It seems more likely that the visitation of (an infinite) God to the mind of (finite) man would produce similar results. Attempting to communicate the desires / words / communications of the All Mighty ought to drive the everyday man or woman absolutely batty. What I find fascinating is that this delirium, which some are proposing to attribute to drugs, is not more prevalent from those who have interfaced with God.

Besides, I believe Scripture issues a warning about being drunk (intoxicated or otherwise incapacitated) so that when the Spirit of God does descend upon a person it is not mistaken for inebriation.

TK
 ZenBeth
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/3/2009 10:32:36 AM
Tarnished_Knight wrote: Why does it have to be drug induced visions? .....Besides, I believe Scripture issues a warning about being drunk (intoxicated or otherwise incapacitated) so that when the Spirit of God does descend upon a person it is not mistaken for inebriation.

Why? Because living in and knowing the Biblical countries as I do, it just seemed a natural thought to think that mind altering items may have been eaten that would have altered ones mind set. And wine can alter ones state without making one falling down drunk. And there are many fruits and herbs that when digested can give you a different feel. Look at the history of chocolate, caffeine and tobacco affect the body.

Thank you to one and all who posted or emailed me with book titles.

~Beth~
 scorpiomover
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2009 11:53:07 AM

Watching National Geographic channel tonight they were discussing the book of Revelation and how so many things in the Bible seem to be written in a way that one has to ask what role did mind altering drugs play in helping the writers of the texts have their visions. Both in the Jewish texts and the ones for and after Christ.
That's what many used to think. Many used to think that drugs produced experiences that were not normally experienced, because drugs screwed up the chemical balance of the brain, rather like dumping red paint over a Rembrandt.

However, we've learned that the brain only produces drug-like reactions to only those drugs that have neuro-receptors that are activated by them. Moreover, all of the drugs that produce reactions in the brain seem to be naturally produced in the body. Thus, drugs seem to act like a switch, that tells certain cells to start certain natural processes that the body does anyway. It's just that artificially-taken drugs artificially induce natural brain responses.

This shows that the brain is designed to do these things, and so they aren't an abnormal reaction, but a reaction that is a full part of the normal functioning of the brain. As a result, when texts describe the same behaviours as one on drugs, we cannot say that they are produced by drugs, because they can be normally produced, and even if they were, we can only say they artificially induced reactions that would occur naturally. It's about as abnormal as induced labour is to childbirth.

I suggest that you google "Terence McKenna". He did a lot of experiments into various drugs and their effects.
 chaswhatif
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2009 1:33:59 PM
We have so many silly rules now. Ya don't need drugs to free your mind,head,soul...
C.S.Lewis,noted Christian writer was glad of LSD.Not it itself,but it's showing us there's reality beyond the known and visions come true.
 CountIbli
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/7/2009 10:41:10 AM
You could try The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross by John Allegro. I haven't read it so I don't know if he tries to connect hallucinogenic drugs with Revelation.

I don't think we need to assume drug use at all. John the Seer uses imagery from the Book of Daniel and the Book of Enoch. Revelation is heavily laden with metaphores for events happening at the time he was writing the book. Google Preterism for details.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Drugs Visions and the Bible question