Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Eating in restaurants alone      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Write Time
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Eating in restaurants alonePage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
This is why, when I'm by myself, I never go into a restaurant without a book, newspaper or magazine. The eyes need to go *someplace* without getting me in trouble!
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 6
Eating in restaurants alone
Posted: 12/5/2009 8:00:24 AM
I don't care that I am alone or whether others are, but yes, it's gonna be weird for you and anyone you're looking at. If you can't look at your plate just grab a newspaper, your laptop, or bring a book - or sit at the bar if there is one, there's usually a TV to watch. Or sit on the other side of the table and look at something else.

That's what I do.
 Vannili
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2009 10:14:19 AM
But why? Cuz society tells us it's rude or awkward to look at people in restaurant in this situation ? Whyy?It's just eyes and are we that self obsessed that we think it's about and not that the person"looking " is just bored?

If we turn the table around and it is you and this girl, and someone who has nothing to do ,is watching you and your girl ? Don't you feel ackward ??
Society tells us nothing, it just common sense ,and as an adult you should know better not to watch what people private business ,unless it is a LIVE SHOW for people to watch.........

PS. It is nobody's business if you are bored^^^^^^^^^^
 Malice From Wonderland
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/5/2009 11:37:48 AM
I eat alone all the time. Sometimes you cannot help but see other people around you unless you wear blinders; and I will not do that. However I do not stare. As far as young couples? Like Landra said ~ they did not even notice you. Older people MAY if you were staring. I do not find anything weird about people watching. It is pretty much un avoidable.
 farscapeprincess
Msg: 27
Posted: 12/5/2009 7:52:51 PM
I dine out alone quite often when the mood hits. I don't remember if I've ever seen some PDA while I waited for my food. But I usually bring a book or magazine to read. I took my first real vacation (alone) in quite awhile to Maui where PDA is all over the place. Didn't really bother me (well, it did make me wish I wasn't with somene special), but I didn't let it spoil one moment of my trip. It's hard not look like a voyeur in that place if you're alone. I was lying out by the pool at the hotel with a couple of magazines and stuff, but I'm a people watcher, too. Across the pool was a couple smooching under one of those waterfalls.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/6/2009 7:20:30 AM
No, it was not weird to be looking at them. But yes, it would have been rude to stare.

I have eaten alone in restaurants for decades, even when I was still married and then in a relationship. I think it is amusing that people who feel uncomfortable eating give "people look at me funny" as the reason. I always tell them that they are imagining things, but maybe not.

I like to eat alone for several reasons, but one is because I like to be a part of the "world" without being a participant. I can sit back and observe those around me--the vast wash of humanity. As a writer, it gives me fodder for writing; as an acute observer of human nature, it gives me clues into how people "work."

I have learned to do this discreetly when necessary. However, I will also speak to people, make eye contact, and smile.

I also like to give people who listen to my conversations when I am with someone something for their effort. Recently, two women were intently listening to a conversation I was having with a GF in a deli--they were trying to be discreet but were staring. Finally,with an evil grin, I said to my friend, "I am not going to see George [fake name] again."

"Why?" she asked.

"Because he is lousy in bed."

She immediately realized what I was doing and said, "Oh, girl! You don't want a man who can't get it on."

I am sure the two listeners were properly and enjoyable shocked and talked about us for the rest of the afternoon.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/6/2009 7:27:20 AM
I like to eat alone for several reasons, but one is because I like to be a part of the "world" without being a participant. I can sit back and observe those around me--the vast wash of humanity.

Gwen, I love that you said this. I am the same way - a lot of the time I like to be around crowds but don't necessarily want to participate or interact. I go to nightclubs a lot alone as well and try to find a spot where I can see everything (mostly the entire dance floor) without people mistaking me for wanting to dance - comes from being a DJ/consultant and scouting clubs for crowd flow I guess. I just love to stand back and observe others interact socially.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/6/2009 10:57:49 AM
I love going to movies alone. Whole different world - I sort of prefer it now. You don't talk to anyone in the theater anyway - in fact, there's more chance they will distract you from the film than add anything productive.

There are only two people I don't mind going to theaters with because like me they like to focus on the film quietly and discuss it later. Everyone else I know tends to talk or move around too much.
 Musique08
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2009 11:03:15 AM
I've eaten alone, been to cinema alone, gone to pubs and clubbing alone (loads of times)... it's fine, if you want to do something and no one else is around, just do it anyway!

As for the teenagers kissing etc - not weird to look I'd say, if they're there it's unavoidable.
 _allen_
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2009 11:04:37 AM
I was caught starring at a couple once in a restaraunt, table for one. The guy lifted his head from cleaning her teeth with his tongue and starred back at me. I had to quickly adjust my face of interested Desperation and fixate my eyes at the ceiling, as if I was admiring the ceiling fixtures. Awkward moment in my life. Unfortunately, I go everywhere alone and find myself in the same situation. I can't help it, my mind wonders and I'm in a different world.
 Man_of_steele
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/12/2009 7:15:21 PM
Dude, who gives a shit what people think of you? Do whatever the hell you want, when you want, and if people don't like it, that's their problem, not yours. If you feel like eating a plate of bacon at 3am, heat up that frying pan! If you feel like going to Denny's by yourself, do it, and wolf down that Grand Slam enjoying every bite!
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 56
Posted: 12/22/2009 6:14:25 PM
I'm never staring at the people in the restaurants. I'm staring at their food. After I have scoped out what they have that I want, I politely ask them "are you going to eat that?"

No way I would stare at them though, that would just be rude.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Eating in restaurants alone