Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Which do you fear more, death or being completely alone?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 curlygrl
Msg: 5
Which do you fear more, death or being completely alone?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I fear neither. Death- we have no idea what is going
to happen - do we remember birth? No. So I dont fear death.

Being completely alone? No. I have been completely alone. I
am completely alone now. Im not afraid of myself. I dont feel
that I need someone to hold my hand through life. My life is
mine - bad choices and all.

I think I fear my Mother pulling my hair when I curse much
worse than death or being alone.

Actually I can honestly say the biggest fear I have is to someday
lose my Parents. I adore them. I cannot imagine a life without them.

Thats my fear.
 ~rain~
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Which do you fear more, death or being completely alone?
Posted: 12/10/2009 3:51:23 PM
eek!!

go see a therapist!!!
 ~Sexiest User~
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/10/2009 5:52:50 PM
Neither...
I don't fear living alone...
I'm already whole without anyone's love or approval.
I believed in myself-just because! I owe this to myself a gift to myself.
I don't ever feel that I can't live without any one person in the world, because
that robs me of myself-growth.
People in my life may come and go. They can leave; they can die, and they can change.
I certainly cannot control everything that happens.
Death...
I would not know is going to happen only our good Lord knows.
When it comes it come...why be afraid.
lea in west tn
 cphtlpn
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/10/2009 6:04:01 PM
It depends on the situation and age. At 26 at this point in life I wouldn't be afraid of dying alone even though I am single at this point. I have my family and friends and very good friends at work.

Being in nursing school I have learned that everyday life is precious.

I don't think I am completely alone if I have my friends. All though I would rather die if it was a long term chronic painful medical situation.

I think my outlook will change on this as my parents get older (they are in their early 50s now) and start to need some one to take care of them.

One can always assume that during the worse case scenario our parents will be there for us. However, what happens if you get seriously ill and your parents have passed away...

By the time my parents become elderly my main fear would be being alone not to have anyone to help care for them and or give me the emotional support that only a significant other can give.

We never know when death is coming. That is why it is important to be safe. But not so safe your too afraid to leave your own house.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/10/2009 8:01:55 PM

Let's say you were loaded with money but you had nobody that loved you and you are to be completely alone the rest of your life, kind of like Howard Hughes. Maybe there were people that loved him, but he spent his final days locked in a hotel room so he couldn't have enjoyed it.

I tend to gravitate towards people and make friends easily, so I'd never be alone - as far as someone loving me, I'm not narcissistic enough to expect it or silly enough to feel that I'm incomplete without it. I've been loved already - I'm good.

On the other hand, you could have a sudden death but you have a lot of close friends who mourn you, like Steve Irwin. I'd say I'm much more afraid of being alone than dying. At least in death, I can believe in a better life after this one.

If I'm dying, quite honestly I won't know what the heck is going on or who mourns me. Again, I don't expect a lot of attention for doing something everyone else will do someday. I fear losing people I am close to way more than my own death.

Put me down for "neither" as well.
 andy1961
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2009 1:57:20 AM

Liam...
You have a history of posting depressive crap like this. If you are not some network bot programmed to stir shit up in the forums, I strongly suggest that you go get help man.

Agree with every word!

He's probably a nice guy - but FFS he's 23 years of age and yet he seems to be making a career out of posting mostly depressing nonsense on here!

Still, if it makes him feel better...

~Sexiest User~
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/12/2009 10:12:15 AM
Hey Liam, my friend!
Thank you so much for posting this... Just reading your profile and your pics that you had posted. You seems very sincere, handsome, young of a gentleman. May I please suggest that you should be working on your career, chasing beautiful young ladies here on this POF site, out dating..shopping for what you get her for christmas and all the good things in life that life have to offer...on and on...your forum is so depressing especially in this time of the year.
merry christmas to everyone
lea in wast tn
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/12/2009 10:50:45 PM
^^^We're all going to die alone, so get over that fear quick. I don't care if you die in a room full of people, you're going on the trip by yourself.
 parry10
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2009 10:42:03 PM
I agree with those who say that the only reason people have nobody in their lives is usually a choice they make at some point.....either through cutting themselves off or pushing people away........or treating those around them very badly....ie: abusing them, ripping them off, being selfish, being impossible to please etc

There are times in the day, even though I have a lot of family and people who love me that I enjoy being alone by myself......I enjoy my solitude at times to re-energize.

Death?.......no thanks......I avoid it. I was dead once for a long, long time before I was born.......I'm in no rush to become dead again...... It must have been boring to be dead because I have no recollection of it at all.

colt8301
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/17/2009 2:45:51 PM
well, i fear death more, I've been in situations where I have had nothing and been completely alone, and have been totally comfortable with it, i know "solitude" I don't know death. That's what makes death scary in my eyes, you don't know anybody that has lived to tell about unless you ask those people who died for a few 'minutes".
 ghostrider73a7x
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2009 6:16:26 PM
Death can be a lonely person's best friend too. When one is alone and he or she dies then that person feels no more pain from being alone.
 upper_west_side
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2009 1:34:54 PM

Being Alone. Everyone has to die. No way around that. I think it hurts more knowing you'll never be chosen.

That's probably the saddest thing I've ever seen written. I've actually got tears in my eyes thinking about it... "never be chosen"... that scares me. More than death. The fact that at the end of this life, no-one has liked me enough to pick me.

Meh.
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Which do you fear more, death or being completely alone?